FIFA 08

D

djdoc

I know its a bit early but I thought id make a FIFA 08 thread seeing as its release will be upon us in September/October Time.

What do you guys want from this game?

Who is looking forward to this?

A lot of us will hope it improves on UEFA Champions League.

Dj

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Not as early as you might think. There will be an official announcement between now and June, Im excited about what they have to show.

Well FIFA 07 and UEFA CL were great leaps forward so I'm looking forward to FIFA 08 a lot. There's very few things that need fixing - reaction times, shooting, dribbling (so you can actually beat a man) and the "press through-pass over and over to get a one-on-one" method that is constantly exploited online - and if they fix those, then it could be a great year for football games.

The 360 development team have already mentioned that Leeds will be included in FIFA 08 (thanks to an interview snippet provided by tiktiktiktik), so it looks like lower-league teams will be added as well, which must have took a hell of a lot of work.

Currently I play UEFA versus the CPU and PES6 online (UEFA's AI is fantastic, but the online side is full of people who know naff-all about football and just press through-pass all the time to get their shots in). But if EA fix the above, then what a game we will have...

I just hope either FIFA or PES has a deeper online side. I don't want to play the CPU all of the time but I don't see the point in endless friendlies. Give us mini-leagues, give us cups. I want to play someone online knowing that I need a goal in the last ten minutes to survive.

Ahhh I love being a gamer. The anticipation!
Ahhh I hate being a gamer. The disappointment!

Last edited:

I hope to god they fix the one on ones and shooting. Add skills, more leagues, and I'm happy.

edit: and the nets!

I agree completely with JB. I love UEFA CL, cant stop playing the bloody game! I get so fucking pissed off with it, and then so amazingly ecstatic its incredible!

If Fifa 08 ain't "the one" then it never will be...

If Fifa 08 ain't "the one" then it never will be...

Thats pretty much it. If the demo isnt all that, I'm not gonna bother this time. And they better bring back the f*ckin' trick stick too.

I agree completely with JB. I love UEFA CL, cant stop playing the bloody game! I get so fucking pissed off with it, and then so amazingly ecstatic its incredible!
Timbo in loving an €A footie game shocker. :shock:

Why start a thread now when we'll get nothing until June.

If they bring the trick stick back i will not buy it. It was incredibly stupid, easy and boring. The stick used for first touch in UEFA/07 was brilliant if you knew how to use it, which few did.
The trick stick was always overused and unrealistic - play Fifa Street if thats what you want

Thats pretty much it. If the demo isnt all that, I'm not gonna bother this time. And they better bring back the f*ckin' trick stick too.
Without getting angry before ANY news comes about. i gotta say this myself. EA has to make "their" NEW engine play better than it does. running animations and shooting mechanics need to be completely redone. simple. secondly they need to have more teams and thirdly this is a requiremnet on whetehr i buy it not... Dynamic weather or at leat proper rain mud and here's hoping snow

And yet if PES has none of that (it has less teams than FIFA and no dynamic weather) you'll buy it...

Some people just love having someone to hate.

They could also add an option to standardise the teams for online. I think thats what they are doing with forza online, cars get mixed up stats so they are equal and its down to driving skills. Im sure something like that would be too hard for a footie game. Means everyone can play as their favorite team and everyone is equal in teamstats.

Fifa08 better have a fucking player edit mode to edit appearances, if I have to play with a hairy headed Sibierski or a white Deon Burton (for example) I'm going to go apeshit :(

All this stuff about nets, boots, haircuts etc doesn't really bother me too much. If the main game is crap, what's the use in realistic looking boots? Surely the priority is gameplay (something EA have only just cottoned onto having been graphics whores for years) and, in my opinion, if the gameplay is amazing then the graphics are a bonus.

Yes, I know we're in next-gen and graphics should be excellent regardless but I definately think there's too many people who concentrate more on how games look rather than gameplay. All these people who are like "I'm not buying the Wii, look at the crap graphics! It doesn't even have 720p!!!" when they should first and foremost be looking at gameplay, THEN saying the graphics need improving if the gameplay is quality already.

So basically, let's just hope FIFA 08 has TOP gameplay, THEN we can look to see if Henry is wearing the correct colour bootlaces.

He's not talking about boots though.

Imagine you support a lower-league side and you can't wait to see them in the game. This is the team you're going to be using every day that you have the game. Out they come, in their shiny new strip, looking fantastic, and... Wait, hold on, why are my two strikers blonde? And why is my goalkeeper bald?!

This is what happens with the lower-leagues in FIFA. As Placebo mentioned, they can't even get Deon Burton's SKIN COLOUR right (and I'm not talking about "he's black when he should be heavily tanned", I'm talking about the fact that he is BLACK and in FIFA he is ALWAYS WHITE!) - you can't excuse that. It is literally laughable.

If Henry was as white as a sheet in the last five FIFAs, you would have known by now and you would have understood Placebo's post immediately. But because it's lower-league teams you've not noticed. (That isn't having a go at you, I'm just saying that if you support Arsenal and Henry is white, then you've every right to be infuriated because it totally destroys the authenticity - and it's the same if you support Sheffield Wednesday or Tranmere as well.)

I do see his point, and stuff like skin colour and hair is pretty basic and EA have no excuses for not sorting that, my post wasn't directed at Placebo by the way. My post was taking into account other boards I go on as well which complain about graphics and cosmetics in general instead of the main issue which should be gameplay.

You buy a game to play the gameplay, not to look at graphics, true? Graphics just make the game better, but gameplay is where it's at. Nobody complained about graphics etc back in the days of SWOS etc, and they weren't the best graphics then. And when SWOS is released on XBox Live soon, I bet a LOAD of people will get it, simply for the fact its gameplay is quality.

My point overall though is I'd rather see EA fix the gameplay issues of UEFA CL and make it so good that even PES players who weren't converted by UEFA will have to convert. Or would you rather very minor gameplay upgrades which don't really do much (AKA what EA Sports have been doing for YEARS) but making the graphics better? Surely the gameplay has to be the priority?

Of course, I agree with you totally, gameplay is priority. I seriously, honestly (you can challenge me on this but you can come and see my PC if you want) still play SWOS's career mode and get more fun out of it than PES's Master League mode, which is just utter crap.

But EA and Konami have seperate departments to do seperate jobs. The graphics department could do an amazing job, and the programming department could do an amazing job with the gameplay as well. So saying that "gameplay is more important", while true, doesn't really matter anyway because the company won't concentrate purely on graphics no matter what - there are seperate departments, all with their own job to do, and whether one is great and the other is crap, or they're both great, or both crap, isn't down to concentrating on one thing more than the other. It's down to the seperate department doing a great/crap job.

And there's also a research department for things like the colour of a player's skin (amongst other things, obviously), but judging on EA's Michael Jackson-style players and Konami's stats being bonkers, they're both underfunding this department...

FIFA 08

6-Apr-2007 Interview: What next-gen means for footy

12 CommentsFootball games are bigger business than they ever were and with the arrival of all three next generation consoles, we spoke to Andrew Wilson, executive producer of football at EA, to find out what the next-gen can do for football games.

We might be coming to the end of the current football season, but EA and Konami are both busy preparing next season's football games that should be with us in time for the new season kicking off in August/September.

But what will they offer that we haven't seen before? Surely it's not just a case of better graphics and more stats than we actually give a Klaxon about? To find out we grilled - and we do mean grilled - the man almost in charge of FIFA for EA, Andrew Wilson.

What does next-gen really mean for football games?

Andrew Wilson: The thing we saw on current-gen was a lot of limitations with technology and processing power. There were a lot of things we wanted to do on current gen that we wanted to do but couldn't.

Like what?

Wilson: Well the intelligence of the football player and the amounts of levels in which they make decisions. On current-gen they had one or two different levels; so they're in the box, in comes a cross, what do they do next? That's it.

On next-gen machines we can process so much more data. We can run more data in terms of giving them decision-making options about how they come to those decisions.

We're starting to see levels of decision-making options that we never saw before and this will make the game far more realistic. You'll also see less repetition on the field. Our aim is to get 100/200 hours of gameplay where you are constantly seeing different things and different decisions being made even if you're in the same context.

Why haven't we seen this in EA's first two attempts at next-gen football on 360 with FIFA 07 and Road to the World Cup?

Wilson: We launched our new engine for FIFA 07 and that was the first year of a new engine. We saw a few things with the new engine that became the foundation for these new ideas.

We saw a different level of athletic ability in the player, so how the player moved and how they interacted with the ball. We also gave the ball its own level of physics. But we started to see the different levels of decision-making on the pitch with depth and context to what's happening.

The thing with writing artificial intelligence is that once you build the infrastructure you can start building on top of it. And year on year we can build more attributes on top of this.

The World Cup game didn't use that engine, it used an old engine. FIFA 07 was the first and 08 will be the second run of that engine.

We were very happy with where we got to with 07 and the launch of a new engine because they're a risky manoeuvre. If it all goes bad, it's not a great thing for us. The player-ball interaction felt very next-gen and we want to capitalise on that with 08 in terms of animation, AI, physics, decision-making. That will give us a level of gameplay that we've never had.

Are we ever going to see AI in the crowd, so they affect players' performance?

Wilson: We had one of our engineers at GDC who started last year what we termed 'Emotion Engine' which was about building a foundation for driving crowd reaction based on little micro-trends within the game.

So different things happening within the crowd will have an impact on how your team plays on the field. If you're getting booed constantly it will have a mental affect on your performance. We started this last year and we're continuing development of that feature. We don't know where it's going to end up or what it's going to do but if we do a good job, you'll never notice it.

What about in-game commentary where you hear repetition after an hour or two? Can next-gen consoles change this?

Wilson: We ran out of space on the disc with current gen. Last year's FIFA had 26 leagues, 15 thousand players, kits, players, stadiums, audio and music, so you just run out of space. The next-gen discs have got more space so in the short term we will have much more commentary on our games.

Looking long term, these consoles are now online. And I would love to think that we can start to pump dynamic commentary into the game on a weekly basis so you never hear the same thing twice.

But think about competitions. Imagine having commentators popping up to commentate on interactive games. So you're not reliant on commentary from our game anymore you got a gamer who gets online and comments every week instead, who then gets a reputation.

No matter what you ship on the disc you'll never get that depth you want. We want to get people involved and creating. We can start that by offering free stuff to download but it's only a matter of time before players start talking to each other about what's going on on the pitch.

On to the PES / FIFA issue. Do you think you have a good enough football game to beat PES in terms of sales even if you didn't have the licenses you have?

Wilson: I hope so. What we've seen in the last five years is that the market has grown substantially and I believe this is a result of the competition. Both companies are pushing to make betters games every year. We've gone from a market that sold us 2 millions units to a market where we're selling 20 million units and that's a result of the competition.

Yes, there's pressure and yes we want to build the nest game we can. But the reality is the world would be a bad place if here was only one football game. Konami's competition pushes us to be better.

Tell us one thing about FIFA 08 that will be different from others?

Wilson: I can't - not at this point.

Go on, hint it...

Wilson: ...

One element that isn't going to be an annual update...

Wilson: If I'm hinting around things... what we've seen with next-gen consoles is that they spend a lot of time online. And when I look at the future of football gaming, online has to play a very integral part and we don't want to be left behind.

But you held the FIFA Interactive World Cup online. It can't get any bigger than that, can it?

Wilson: Yes it can... Much bigger.

Really?

Wilson: Absolutely.

How?

Wilson: There were three people once uploading videos to the web, now we have YouTube. There were once three people chatting via the internet and now we have Skype. The FIFA Interactive World Cup is a great start but we want to get more people involved than that...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161468

Thomas, you are a legend.

Wilson: If I'm hinting around things... what we've seen with next-gen consoles is that they spend a lot of time online. And when I look at the future of football gaming, online has to play a very integral part and we don't want to be left behind.

But you held the FIFA Interactive World Cup online. It can't get any bigger than that, can it?

Wilson: Yes it can... Much bigger.

Really?

Wilson: Absolutely.
If that means the end of online friendlies and the beginning of online competitions...

YAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

they just should also keep in mind that there is still a huge base of non-online players out there...

they just should also keep in mind that there is still a huge base of non-online players out there...

Very well said lad.

Also, it says competition is good, I just wish there was a few more alternatives than FIFA or PES,, just something new to try.

Of course offline modes are important as well - I mean in FIFA 07 there was nothing two-player you could do bar friendlies or lounge-mode games, which were... Friendlies.

But I've been waiting for an online football game that's more than just friendlies for years!

Holio's spot on the genre has stalled so badly due to the lack of competition, the big two are both making a killing from their monopoly and this is why we have the drip feed development. There should be no exclusive licences given to any company, it's the worse thing that could have happened. As for the online I don't use it for anything but FPS's though I would/will when they have full 11 v 11, that would be something. So the off line has to come first as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Very well said lad.

Also, it says competition is good, I just wish there was a few more alternatives than FIFA or PES,, just something new to try.
Let's hope that someday 2K sports will make a football game :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let's hope that someday 2K sports will make a football game :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ding ding ding ding, we have a winner! :)

If only!!!!! Though from the comments some journos are saying about All Star Football (US Styleeeeee) 2K8, that series could well be hitting a brick wall, but then it was the NFL exclusive deal with EA that funked that series up a couple of years ago.

i thought if the virtua striker team at sega knew anything about football then they could come up with something good, still the best ball physics in that game than in any other i've played

I think what Uefa Champions League showed was how much EA have learned about creating a good football game. Fifa has been garbage for many years, its good to see things starting to come together.

What Im after is more responsive controls. When Ive got possession of the ball Im more inclined to pass it quickly then hold onto it. This is because I find the response time too laggy, and never trust the player will do what I want him to do quick enough.

Above everything though I want Fifa to stay DIFFERENT to PES/WE. After playing Uefa at work I just know Im going to end up buying both Fifa and PES this year. On one hand you have Fifa 08 - a game with all the licenses, awesome presentation and an involving mangerial mode. The other we have PES7 - a game with perfect player representation & fantastic gameplay.

I like the arcady aspect of Fifa and the overall presentation as its a world apart from PES. If they become similar games its going to get boring very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom