FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I just discovered you can zoom the camera out!! It's actually a lot better with a zoomed out and lower camera!

Does anyone know how to get national players into club teams ? I can get this to work the other way round (e.g. Santon in the Italian team, or Zarate in Argentina) but I'm trying to add Tymoschock to Bayern and Zhirkov to Chelsea. Both are in the game (Ukraine NT and Russia NT) but I can't seem to get them assigned to club squads for normal play, anyone know if it's possible ?

Does anyone know how to get national players into club teams ? I can get this to work the other way round (e.g. Santon in the Italian team, or Zarate in Argentina) but I'm trying to add Tymoschock to Bayern and Zhirkov to Chelsea. Both are in the game (Ukraine NT and Russia NT) but I can't seem to get them assigned to club squads for normal play, anyone know if it's possible ?

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49679

Seeing as 10 is out shortly, I traded in my PS3 version today for a 360 one (after purchasing an Elite last weekend). I just wanted a different perspective on the game and to see how the online works. Plus the club I play in is on a sabbatical until 10.

Played the demo and the pad will take a bit of getting used to.

A few mates who already have 360's said they would dig it out for a game but if anybody else fancies some action then please add me.

I've had a few games as all manual (can't shoot) but nobody does it on PS3, as mentioned above, so went back to my normal config which is all semi but manual on both types of through balls. More than happy to give all manual a go though.

Seeing as 10 is out shortly, I traded in my PS3 version today for a 360 one (after purchasing an Elite last weekend). I just wanted a different perspective on the game and to see how the online works. Plus the club I play in is on a sabbatical until 10.

Played the demo and the pad will take a bit of getting used to.

A few mates who already have 360's said they would dig it out for a game but if anybody else fancies some action then please add me.

I've had a few games as all manual (can't shoot) but nobody does it on PS3, as mentioned above, so went back to my normal config which is all semi but manual on both types of through balls. More than happy to give all manual a go though.

I'm fully manual :SMUG:. Shooting just requires a lot of practice but once you've cracked it there's no going back. The power and accuracy you can get the ball is amazing. The only problem is you have to allow for that float on the ball.

This game is infuriating.

I hold the close control button and attempt to dribble, and a 6stone midget knocks my 15stone striker off the ball with ease.

I punt a long ball forward, the 4ft midget outjumps my 6ft striker.

When my players are tackled, they stumble away from the ball like idiots, while the slide-tackling CPU has time for a nap, before getting up and away with the ball.

When I press and hold sqaure, my striker runs from the other half to press, but a guy close to the ball carrier watches as he glids past.

When I select a defender, he stops, letting the attacker go clear before feebly running after him - still losing ground from someone dribbling.

I try to take it round a player, his momentum means nothing as he instantly changes direction, sticks a leg out and comes away with the ball, my players momentum takes them way past the attacker, letting him get away. On the odd occasion I do tackle, the ball is merely kicked away, straight to an opposition player.

A corner is floated into my box, my defender, having never controlled a ball before, chests it so hard, it bounce away at 100mph to the striker, who taps it home.

:RANT::RANT::RANT:

This game is infuriating.

I hold the close control button and attempt to dribble, and a 6stone midget knocks my 15stone striker off the ball with ease.

I punt a long ball forward, the 4ft midget outjumps my 6ft striker.

When my players are tackled, they stumble away from the ball like idiots, while the slide-tackling CPU has time for a nap, before getting up and away with the ball.

When I press and hold sqaure, my striker runs from the other half to press, but a guy close to the ball carrier watches as he glids past.

When I select a defender, he stops, letting the attacker go clear before feebly running after him - still losing ground from someone dribbling.

I try to take it round a player, his momentum means nothing as he instantly changes direction, sticks a leg out and comes away with the ball, my players momentum takes them way past the attacker, letting him get away. On the odd occasion I do tackle, the ball is merely kicked away, straight to an opposition player.

A corner is floated into my box, my defender, having never controlled a ball before, chests it so hard, it bounce away at 100mph to the striker, who taps it home.

:RANT::RANT::RANT:

Ahhh FIFA, a thing of beauty...

I was going to put this in the FIFA 10 thread but that would be off-topic so I'll stick it in here... ;)

After getting fed up of certain issues with the game (see the last FSB podcast), a few people said I should try on fully manual.

What a frigging difference it makes. I'm on manual everything now, struggling to score but when you do you can score some absolute beauties.

At first I was really struggling but after five games, it really is like playing a different game. So if you're getting fed up of the game I highly recommend it!

I took the final step to fully manual this morning and I'm now contemplating kicking myself for all the time I've lost playing it on anything other than this!

It's amazing how much more careful and considered my build up play is now rather than just playing a lazy (as in unimaginative) game. My first game finished with me having 54% of the possesion with a passing accuracy of 82% - they are at least as high as me on a good day with semi assistance.

I lost my trial game 2-0 to a City team full of their recent signings but some of my possesion was highly pleasurable.

Amazing how I managed to get some shots and crosses in that I'd never seen in my previous (highly frequent) playing over the last 10 months.

Loving it - the only thing is; I can't imagine me doing so well on this mode after a few sherberts !!

Last edited:
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You know when a game frustrates you so much you can actually feel the vein in your neck trying to burst? Just had it.

So I'm through on goal, one-on-one with the keeper. I flick the knock-ahead stick forward, and what happens? For absolutely no fucking reason (no mother fucking cock sucking bitch slapping cunting cunting cunting reason)... He back-heels it with his calf muscle (back-calves it?).

This should never, ever be allowed to happen in a game. What possible excuse is there to take pushing forward on the left stick, along with pushing forward on the knock-ahead stick, as "oh he wants to flick the ball backwards into the defenders who are rushing back and completely fuck up any chance of scoring a goal"?

If this isn't blatant, desperate CPU cheating then it's a totally fucked up moment where the game suddenly didn't know the difference between left and right. You decide.

For me this video is everything I hate about PES (more than FIFA funnily enough, but here's the proof that FIFA does it too).

Two words - no excuses.

YouTube - FIFA 09 Frustrating Moment

On a lighter note, have a look at this earthquake after scoring in a game against a friend...

(If you watch it in slow-motion you can see what is actually happening - the ball is zooming from one goal to the other and back again, at light speed, as if being catapulted by ultra-tight nets. Very weird, but it made me laugh.)

YouTube - FIFA 09 Funny Moment

Last edited:
I get the same thing with player switching sometimes. My teammate will overlap to find space so I'll pass it to him and then all of a sudden he'll heel it back or he'll just stand still while the defenders catch up. It doesn't matter what I do, if the CPU decides I'm not going through this time, I'm not. Cue brick wall of defenders.

Player switching is the number one thing I'll be looking at along with shooting. It pisses me off a treat when defending and I switch to a defender only for him to run in the wrong direction. Even though I'm holding the right direction. It was beyond a joke the other night.

If this isn't blatant, desperate CPU cheating then it's a totally fucked up moment where the game suddenly didn't know the difference between left and right. You decide.

For me this video is everything I hate about PES (more than FIFA funnily enough, but here's the proof that FIFA does it too).
My opinion has always been that this 'cheating' paranoia in both FIFA and PES is way overblown.

It's not like the CPU is a sentient being capable of deceitful thought. It can't suddenly decide that it doesn't feel like letting you score this one so it'll wave an evil wand and corrupt space and time at the crucial split-second to suit its underhand plans. It's incapable. It's hard enough to code an AI system that does what you expect it to; no dev team is going to go out of their way to write code that enables it to get creatively devious as it goes along.

In the given video example, it's merely a glitch. The ball physics are not perfect, and the animation system used when the player makes contact with a loose ball is not perfect. I'm sure we've all seen how much players struggle with trying to collect bouncing balls in FIFA 09, mine regularly turn into special needs kids when the ball dares to bobble toward them at waist/chest height. This is just a rather unfortunate example of that, to me. An ill-timed bug, one I suspect you would have written off as such and forgotten about had it happened at a less crucial moment. The point being: the CPU doesn't think 'he's through on goal, I'll deliberately fuck with his controls to stop him'. No game is written that way.

The worst and only extent of any so-called 'cpu cheating', in either franchise, is to modify attributes of players to ramp up the challenge in the interest of balancing difficulty. Whether they get the balance right is another matter entirely. You know the kind of thing - you get to a Champions League final, and suddenly their strikers are red hot and yours can't hit a barn door. I can vividly remember one occasion when a friend and I took Rosenborg to said final, having already beaten opponents Arsenal earlier in the season, and in the first two minutes of this game Ljungberg rockets in a goal with such unprecedented accuracy and power, from an angle that you rarely see the keeper beaten, and we just knew that the dial had been turned up to eleven for this final. It's player attribute modification, and perhaps any underlying probability factors that might be involved in the way player actions (shot trajectory etc) turn out.

Gamers can get so easily wound up by seemingly inexplicable events that go against them during a game, especially when they're immersed and therefore care about it. The Game is running The Game - it's easy to get paranoid. Doing so frankly gives the AI's level of awareness far too much credit.

And you'll notice that people never accuse the opposite of happening, like the other day when the CPU team hit my crossbar twice in a row with the goal at its mercy, and as the ball rebounded it took a lucky deflection off a defender nicely into my keeper's safe hands. How unlikely, yet far from impossible, and how convenient for me.

This is an imperfectly simulated environment, it's synthetic and inevitably it will on occasion look/act false. Because it is.

In other words: sometimes, shit just happens. Relax and enjoy the game :BEER:

There are cases of lazy coding, for example playing Fifa 09 on WC the keeper can save the ball without touching it.

Actually that happens on all skill levels and is down to poor collision detection of ball physics versus goalkeeper modelled gloves and is in no way related to skill levels/AI/cheating, happens to both sides (ie AI or human) at all skill levels, it's random as to when and where and is purely a bug/glitch.

Gamers can get so easily wound up by seemingly inexplicable events that go against them during a game, especially when they're immersed and therefore care about it. The Game is running The Game - it's easy to get paranoid. Doing so frankly gives the AI's level of awareness far too much credit.

And you'll notice that people never accuse the opposite of happening, like the other day when the CPU team hit my crossbar twice in a row with the goal at its mercy, and as the ball rebounded it took a lucky deflection off a defender nicely into my keeper's safe hands. How unlikely, yet far from impossible, and how convenient for me.

This is an imperfectly simulated environment, it's synthetic and inevitably it will on occasion look/act false. Because it is.

In other words: sometimes, shit just happens. Relax and enjoy the game :BEER:

Oh god you should come and play some 2vAI with us sometime, we may over analyse the game sometimes but we are just as critical when 'it's' going our way as when we're on the receiving end...

I think anyone who has played enough FIFA or PES for that matter can almost spot the changes in the game as the MM or ML season goes on.
Again others may not see or feel it and it may be after 20 odd full seasons I've gone FIFA blind, but I would hand on heart swear within a game you can tell when something has altered within the game mechanics.
I couldn't tell you why or how but it's there... :JAY:

I've not played enough FIFA to know about the "cheating" due to the league tables, but it just feels as if it's got an unfair advantage all the time with their weak players shoving your much stronger players off the ball (so much for the collisions system, one of the main features of 09...), pass with inch perfect accuracy, control the ball perfectly, turn very quickly, have all their defenders in the perfect positions, win every tackle, react to your movements at lightning speed etc.

I've not played enough FIFA to know about the "cheating" due to the league tables, but it just feels as if it's got an unfair advantage all the time with their weak players shoving your much stronger players off the ball (so much for the collisions system, one of the main features of 09...), pass with inch perfect accuracy, control the ball perfectly, turn very quickly, have all their defenders in the perfect positions, win every tackle, react to your movements at lightning speed etc.

yep, that gets even more annoying when you're playing a 2nd division side with your Premiership winning side and are still getting knocked about... :RANT:

That's FIFA 09 that is... :P

Hmmm I think the collision system is overdone and can be very annoying at times. Especially when your own players run into you and knock you over or tackle and bump into you knocking you off balance. I mean your own player, are they blind? Or, you win a tackle or cross and the opposition player falls over and clips you, halting your run. There's other little niggles and clips that happen all the time that would not necessarily knock a heavier player over or off balance, yet every player reacts the same.

havn't they redone the collision system for 10. Thats maybe the thing im dying to see on Friday because it does jar after a while in 09. Funny, coz when 09 came out its what most of us were raving about but after time it kinda just got annoying.

Yeah, I hope so. There are seven main things I'm looking out for that really grate on me when I play.

1) L1 player switching
2) Shooting
3) Collision system e.g. little niggly bumps, hacks (as above)etc
4) Reaction times/general floatiness e.g when I press pass I expect you to pass or at least stretch to attempt to pass/shoot, not float your body off balance before you even think about passing/shooting. I don't care if the ball goes miles off target as long as it does what I tell it to.
5) Dribbling, the ability to beat defenders without running into a brick wall.
6) Other team mate awareness/not running in the opposite direction or straight past attacking players/defending in general
7) Goalkeepers full stop

100% agree with all of those, specifically 2-5.

If I can beat a man with a bit of dribbling, without crashing into him like a blind person, I will start dancing. So thank God they're not letting cameras in then.

In regards to your first video Chris...that sort of crap happens regularly on FIFA 09, manual or not manual. It also knocks the ball the opposite way times. It's finally getting to the point where I cant play FIFA anymore because all the bugs have finally come out. Bring on FIFA 10.

AI reactions need to be in there to MJ, the fact they know what you're doing before your player moves, this also leads to it being almost impossible to beat a man without a skill move and even then it's tough.

The same with the keeper, I don't want to see him take two steps to the side I have just pressed to shoot as my player runs up to take the shot...

What sort of collision detection algorithms do EA use for Fifa?

I was in the Arena the other day taking some shots against Kirkland and i zoomed in on a replay using the Orbit cam and i could clearly see Kirkland's hands go through the ball.

Now i know video game technology has it's limitations but aren't NG consoles capable of proper collision detection so models don't go through each other.

Last edited:
What sort of collision detection algorithms do EA use for Fifa?

I was in the Arena the other day taking some shots against Kirkland and i zoomed in on a replay using the Orbit cam and i could clearly see Kirkland's hands go through the ball.

Now i know video game technology has it's limitations but aren't NG consoles capable of proper collision detection so models don't go through each other.

It makes a change from saving it a good foot away from his hands, there are some poor CD's in the game, EA are being badgered on this... ;)

bap online team play, they really gotta sort that out with some sort rank system or something, because its horrific playing with people who attack with 8 men, always sending off and never pass.

its so hard to get a good game on this

EDIT:- or you always get kicked right at start. this really pisses me off

Last edited:
Is all manual really worth it?

I tried all manual many months back (didn't finish even half of the game)and to do an accurate pass in FIFA was more of a challenge than it is in real life.

I'm all for realism but in real life it doesn't take half the effort it does in FIFA to do a pass or shoot (that's if
you can get close enough)

Note: I have semi on shooting & passing and have manual on through ball.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom