FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Is all manual really worth it?

I tried all manual many months back (didn't finish even half of the game)and to do an accurate pass in FIFA was more of a challenge than it is in real life.

I'm all for realism but in real life it doesn't take half the effort it does in FIFA to do a pass or shoot (that's if
you can get close enough)

Note: I have semi on shooting & passing and have manual on through ball.

It's hard work mate, I'm the same as you on the Semi-manual front, those that have mastered it swear by it, I play most of my FIFA 2vAI, and my playing partner always hates it when I try to go manual shooting and passing for that matter as you only get a hand full of chances on goal per game and on manual our goal tally would plummet.
I think you need to put the hours in on manual... ;)

Is all manual really worth it?

I tried all manual many months back (didn't finish even half of the game)and to do an accurate pass in FIFA was more of a challenge than it is in real life.

I'm all for realism but in real life it doesn't take half the effort it does in FIFA to do a pass or shoot (that's if
you can get close enough)

Note: I have semi on shooting & passing and have manual on through ball.
It feels really difficult to start with, but you will improve the more you practice it, i'd also echo what Placebo just said :).

Don't use it against people online though, they will just ping-pong it round without even having to think while you have work hard to put 4 or 5 passes together :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me manual is all about getting into the game and getting a feel for every pass, cross, shot. That's what sets it apart from assisted and even semi passing/crossing/shooting. This is why I believe it is as close to the real thing as possible, because if you mess up the pass it shows, for example. It is bloody hard at first but it becomes second nature the more you play with it.

Anyone who has had to put up with the AI for over ten full careers would not see semi shooting as cheating, with the amount of times your striker has suddenly just slowed chasing down a ball or been clipped slightly, or your left back has man marked the corner flag playing everyone and his Grandma onside, or refused to jump against the towering figure of Obafemi Martins as he leaps free to head in in the 92min... :RANT:

:LMAO:

Anyone who has had to put up with the AI for over ten full careers would not see semi shooting as cheating, with the amount of times your striker has suddenly just slowed chasing down a ball or been clipped slightly, or your left back has man marked the corner flag playing everyone and his Grandma onside, or refused to jump against the towering figure of Obafemi Martins as he leaps free to head in in the 92min... :RANT:

:LMAO:

Add to that the fact that at the 85 min mark (especially when you are loosing and desperate for the ball), the AI can suddenly string at minimun 20 pointless fully assisted 1-2's next to the touchline (just out of your 18 yard box)

Don't even bother tackling 'coz you just won't get the ball :RANT:

They do this until the time is just about over btw, when you do get possession off the ball then the ref blows the final whislte.

Add to that the fact that at the 85 min mark (especially when you are loosing and desperate for the ball), the AI can suddenly string at minimun 20 pointless fully assisted 1-2's next to the touchline (just out of your 18 yard box)

I don't really get this myself much, although maybe it's because for one thing if I'm winning at 80+ I always change to defensive or even all out defensive, and I always make my subs around the 70 minute mark so I have fresh legs in key areas :)

I don't really get this myself much, although maybe it's because for one thing if I'm winning at 80+ I always change to defensive or even all out defensive, and I always make my subs around the 70 minute mark so I have fresh legs in key areas :)

Me too, looks sooo realistic when you play defensive and it really does look like a real life defensive match.

But the AI cheat dribbling is my only complaint about FIFA. I'm easy to please so if they fix this for FIFA10 and knowing that they've added so much already, 360 degrees dribbling, custom set pieces etc...I'll be in heaven.

Maybe it's just how I defend that helps me not see the "cheat dribble" you mention? I use super cancel + pace control to box attackers into corners, I let them run where they want but keep my defender parallel to either stop them cross or if they do try to cross block the cross, I seldom tackle directly when they're dribbling at pace but will use my defender plus a 2nd defender if required to box them into a corner.

No Placebo trust me the "Cheat Dribble" by the AI is when you can't touch them, you can try everything but you won't the ball and then you get pissed and try to hack them down.

Is it when they keep turning away from you? If it is, it's all about tricking them. The AI is very good at figuring out where you are going based on last steps so swift movement is the key!

I've had it happen loads of times.

You just need to be getting beat with 10 minutes to go then they string a million passes together - running up and down the byline between the goal posts and the corner flag - I "team press" and lo and behold - a perfect cross and they score another.

It worries me that I've read that they looked for this "bug" and couldn't find it as it means it will still be present in 10.

Don't use it against people online though, they will just ping-pong it round without even having to think while you have work hard to put 4 or 5 passes together :(.

I've seen people somehow get away with doing this on manual as well which leads me to believe that manual passing isn't ENTIRELY manual at all. Obviously it's almost at the point there is no pass assist but I've played against more than a few guys who (after inviting them to a match from a lobby and making it manual w/o them knowing ;)) sometimes are able to just fire a really long and slow pass across the field that my player should be able to pick off. For some reason they just don't respond though.

What really pisses me off though is the guys that get the ball when they realize it's on manual and just hoof it forward to a fast striker. I've come across a number of high ranked guys who use the dream team glitch to put Torres, Ibra, Ronaldo, and classic players on one team and just fire it forward. It's clear that the ball isn't completely detached from anyone as sometimes even my defenders who are close to it will just make a b-line for it. I know they're also using stat boosting as well as I simply cannot get away from any of them.

Question though, manual is obviously a good way to simulate realistic soccer, but I'm not the only one that's found that the constant 2nd defender pressure is still just as powerful on manual as well?

I played against a guy who was admittedly good at shooting on manual (not sure how) because I still can't seem to put shots on target with consistency unless it's a slow roller straight at the keeper, but in addition to his high line, the moment I got close to him he was running at me and my players didn't seem to want to get into any sort of space to receive a pass. Also, when I'd take the ball away from him, he'd recover instantly and just run right back into me.

^^Does anyone know how people do that? Recover and steal the ball back right away, make their players so much faster than mine, and play with this formation/tactics that somehow makes my players never move into space or make intelligent runs (when the game right before, against a different guy, I was able to tear him apart even with him pressuring me) and make my defense play like idiots?

It's only every once in a while that I come across a guy that I simply cannot get past midfield on. There are spaces to exploit, but my players, for some odd reason, never decide to move. And if they do, I get tackled before I can make the pass through to them. This was against a guy who showed up in the "all-manual" thread on EA's forums. I played against one other dude who was good and didn't pressure constantly. The games were fun and realistic. This new guy though is most definitely a cheeser. Didn't even think it was possible on manual. But it is.

Don't even bother tackling 'coz you just won't get the ball :RANT:

They do this until the time is just about over btw, when you do get possession off the ball then the ref blows the final whislte.

No that's PES. FIFA AI cheats but not like that.

Is it when they keep turning away from you? If it is, it's all about tricking them. The AI is very good at figuring out where you are going based on last steps so swift movement is the key!

I fucking hate that. How unrealistic is that shit?

Lol, playing some manual matches again today (of course against unsuspecting assisted cheesers) but the game is just about ruined, if not already.

I think everyone boosts their players up now because I can't tell you how many times I've gotten behind the defense only to have the defender run me down from behind and push me off of the ball everytime without fail. No matter how far out in front I am, I will ALWAYS get caught before I get near the goal.

Nobody I play against can pass for shit, but I can't get near the goal because they just run into me and knock me over.

Maybe I'm late to the party, but have you guys noticed how unrealistic it is when you hit the post? I don't think I ever thought about it before, but it is almost as if the ball leaves the post with less pace. Like if the post was made of soft material.

I think they have fixed this though because on the GC trailer when the Arsenal scores by hitting the post it actually seems to "ping" away like in real life.

Maybe I'm late to the party, but have you guys noticed how unrealistic it is when you hit the post? I don't think I ever thought about it before, but it is almost as if the ball leaves the post with less pace. Like if the post was made of soft material.

I think they have fixed this though because on the GC trailer when the Arsenal scores by hitting the post it actually seems to "ping" away like in real life.
Yeah i've thought this as well - nobody else seemed to bring it up though so I thought it was just me seeing a problem which wasn't there.
The ball always loses way too much momentum when it hits the post, as you say it's like the posts are soft and absorb the impact. When you just shave the outside of the post the ball shouldn't slow down and barely change direction at all and it should actually be hard to tell whether it's hit the post until you see a slo-mo replay, on 09 the ball slows right down and the controller rumbles like there was an earthquake...

Everything you say about football games I always seem to 100% agree with :P.

Back
Top Bottom