Fifa 11 Career Mode News Thread 360/PS3

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Everything Career Mode related in here.

To start off, I'll copy the latest CM news in here.

FIFA 11 Producer Blog: Career Mode

Hello all,

My name is Marcel Kuhn and I am a Producer/Designer for offline and online Game Modes on FIFA 11. My main focus for FIFA 11 is the all-new Career Mode and I wanted to give you some insight to what this game mode is all about.You’ve probably played Manager Mode and Be A Pro: Seasons in FIFA 10. For FIFA 11, we’ve decided to remove these two Game Modes and create a totally new experience that combines these two Modes into one connected Mode - that Mode is called Career Mode.

As we come closer to the release of FIFA 11 we will be revealing many more details about this game mode, but today I want to focus on some of the basic building blocks of the mode as well as take you on a journey through the first couple of weeks in this year’s Career Mode.

To start off, I created my Virtual Pro and trained him a bit in the arena before taking him with me in the Career Mode.

The first choice I have to make is if I want to start a career as a Player, a Manager or a Player-Manager. Either choice will allow you to play a 15-year long career. To experience a total football career you can start as a player and when the time comes to hang your boots up you can become a Manager. Or you can start as a Manager right away, the choice is yours.

I will go for a Player-Manager Career, as that will allow me to play locked to my Virtual Pro or to control the whole squad. Also I can make the choice to field my Virtual Pro or not as I will be responsible for the line-up of my squad.
careerchoice.jpg
Embarking on a 15-year long career starting as a Player Manager!

As I start the new Bundesliga season I will pick VfB Stuttgart as my team and use my Virtual Pro as my player.

myfirstcontract.jpg
My first contract, let's just sign and get on with it will you!

After signing and saving my Career I arrive in the Career Mode HUB. I get greeted by several news items, telling me about the Transfer Window being open, what teams I will face in Pre-Season Friendlies, and that my first League Match will be vs. Werder Bremen - tough opponent to start the season against.

cm_hub.jpg
Friendlies vs. Caen, Villarreal and Ramenskoye - will be great to test the new transfers.

You may or may not know, but Stuttgart lost many starting 11 players over the summer break - Sami Khedira (to Real Madrid), Roberto Hilbert (to Besiktas) and Aleksandar Hleb (back to Barcelona) to only name a few. During the World Cup many teams used a 4-2-3-1 formation, therefore I want to look into some key transfers to mould my squad into that formation.

Let’s have a look at the current Stuttgart squad to see what kind of changes I have to make…

In goal I have an inexperienced 21-year old GK named S. Ulreich. He waited for his chance behind J. Lehmann last season, so I will give him a chance to prove himself. In addition my current back-up is experienced and can come in if needed.

In defense, Stuttgart have quite some depth and they have recently added P. Degen on loan from Liverpool. Talking about loans, one of the cool new features this year is that loaned in and loaned out players are actually treated as such when the mode starts, so Degen will return to Liverpool after he finishes his loan stint at Stuttgart. I also have the choice to loan players for a full season or only for a shorter period (3 months), which allows you to fill up your squad should you run into injury and / or suspension trouble.

degenonloan.jpg
Once the season is over, it's back to Anfield for Mr. Degen.

The two holding midfield positions belong to Kuzmanovic and Traesch. I also have Gentner on my squad who returned to Stuttgart after a successful season at Wolfsburg. As these positions are crucial in the formation I am planning to go with, I will try to add a top rated, starting 11 player to my team.

For the remaining midfield and winger positions I have talented but young players, so I will have to add an experienced winger to my squad as well.

Cacau will play the Attacking Midfield role as he has pace and is a good distance shooter. The lone forward role belongs to Pavel Pogrebnyak and he is backed up by Ciprian Marica. No real urgency to add players here either.

Here’s my wishlist:

* 1 top defensive Midfielder and 1 experienced Winger.
* Players that will have to look for a new club: Celozzi (RB), Elson (CAM) and Schwarz (CM)
* Players that are young but not ready for the Bundesliga: Didavi (LM), Funk (CM) and Riedle (ST)

First I’ll have a look at the current Free Agents, but with the exception of M. Azaouagh there isn’t a player that really interests me. As he is a CAM and I will not pursue him. On to the Transfer Listed players, as I have specific needs (CDM & RW/LW) I will scout the market for these positions.

transferlistedcdm.jpg
More search options allow me to find the exact players I need faster.

No flat-out “this is the guy I want” on here, but Rodwell from Everton is definitely worth a try as he is a young and talented player that would be a good fit for my squad. I offer Everton 6.4 Mil Euro, which is slightly below his market value and see what they have to say.

rodwelloffer.jpg
Changing the offers is now faster as you can modify each digit individually.

I am still not 100 percent happy as I would like a higher rated player that can make an immediate impact. Therefore I will search for non-transfer listed players that match my overall expectations.

My next search is:

* Overall: 80-90
* Position: Midfield
* Role: Centre Defensive Midfield
* Transfer Status: Any
* Max. Transfer Value: 10 Mil.

detailedsearch.jpg
That's more like it - but it definitely comes at a price.

I will submit bids to G. Barry (Man City), J. Makoun (Ol. Lyon) and S. M’Bia (O. Marseille). As they are all starting 11 players for their clubs, my negotiator is warning me that I will have to pay some extra money to even have my offer looked at. My overall transfer budget is not very large, therefore I have my eyes set on M’Bia. In my eyes, he is the best overall package and at 6.3 Mil Market Value he carries the smallest price tag.

barryoffer.jpg
You need to offer more than a player's market value if he is not transfer listed.

Now let’s look for wingers… for the right wing all that’s on the market are Joaquin from Valencia (who at 15 Mil Euros is a bit out of my budget range) and Keko (young Spaniard who is not really an improvement to what I already have on my squad). Regarding left wingers, I find Inter-reject Mancini (overall 74 and not fast enough anymore) and Juanma (same assessment as Keko). Again, no luck with the players that are transfer listed, so I will try to lure a non-transfer listed player away from their current club.

My next searches are:

* Overall: 75-85
* Acceleration: 80-100
* Position: Midfield
* Role: Left/Right Wing
* Transfer Status: Any
* Max. Transfer Value: 10 Mil.

The first player I find is C. Bellamy, who is already at Cardiff (well done to our Data Collection team for that one :)) and would be a perfect fit. I also submit a bid to Braga for Helder Barbosa (a young Portoguese left winger), A. Sanchez (Udinese) and R. Beerens (Heerenveen). I am not getting my hopes up too high, as I only offer market value for these players.

Once I advance to the next match I get emails from my board regarding the season objectives (Finish Top 6) and the Transfer Market.

transfermarketopen.jpg
Additional players are going to be added to the transfer list while advancing via the calendar - therefore keep your eyes open at all times to find the perfect player.

Transfer market activity begins and the first transfers can be reviewed while waiting for your first friendly match. As soon as there are responses to the submitted offers, the simulation gets interrupted and you can review the responses via incoming emails.

As expected, the clubs whose starting 11 players I was targeting are not very susceptible to my transfer offers. I get 2 offers flat out declined, Braga tells me that they don’t want to sell Barbosa as they’ve just recently acquired his services (they purchased him in July 2010 from Porto). Similar response from Cardiff, who want to keep their home-town boy, no matter what I offer, in addition it’s not really “their” player as he is on loan from Manchester City. Heerenveen is a bit more open for negotiations, but they put a hefty price tag on the player and ask me to increase my offer to almost 12 Mil Euros. I’m not willing to pay that amount of cash, therefore I turn to the last email in my inbox and to my surprise Man City has accepted my 11.5 Mil Euro offer for Gareth Barry. I respectfully decline Heerenveen’s offer and the negotiations end here, but I enter the next stage and submit a Wage offer to G. Barry. In my opinion, he would be a signing that gives me the immediate boost I want. At this point my negotiator warns me, that several other clubs are interested in the player as well, therefore I increase my offer to 65k/week for a 3 year long contract.

After a couple of days the first offers for my players come in and I want to make sure they find a new home quickly - I loan Riedle for the season to Manisaspor in Turkey and Didavi to Nice in France. Responses for my other negotiations come back as well. Udinese as well as Everton want to push the price for their players up. I pull out of the Udinese negotiations, but raise my offer for Rodwell from 6.4 Mil Euros to 6.8 Mil Euro (Everton was asking for 9.4 Mil). I seem to have my way with the French clubs as both Lyon and Marseille accept my offers. M’Bia is my Plan B in case I can’t sign Barry, therefore I give him an offer he surely can’t refuse. After that’s done, I remove myself from further negotiations with Makoun.

My mission to build my squad for the next season continues and I sell my first player; Celozzi is headed to France and will play for AS Nancy next season - I wish him the best of luck there and put 3.6 Mil Euros on my bank account :). During the calendar sim, I observe that United loaned out Macheda to Valencia, good move as the kid wouldn’t have gotten too much playing time this season.

More updates on my negotiations arrive, M’Bia accepts my offer and Barry submits a counter offer via his agent. He wants his wage offer raised to 80k/week, which after consulting with Adam (English SE on Career Mode) is too much. So I go for M’Bia and my first new signing costs me 8.5 Mil Euros. After both sides have signed the contract, the Chief Exec of my club congratulates me on signing a new player and reminds me to put him in the line-up soon… M’Bia immediately replaces Traesch in the starting formation.

Everton must have gotten wind of the M’Bia transfer who fills my defensive midfield void, so they reduce price for Rodwell to 8 Mil Euros. Since I am not really interested anymore, I will see how far down I can get the price and I reply with a 7.2 Mil Euro offer. In the meantime, Elson is off to Palermo, which adds another 6.1 Mil Euro to my bankroll. Another round of negotiations with Everton, who seem to start to get annoyed with me trying to low-ball them. They raise the price up to 8.4 Mil Euro. Back in the HUB, I get a news item of a transfer within my league, apparently Karim Haggui has left Hannover and joined “The Hammers” for 5.6 Mil Euros.

The next email I receive confirms my suspicion that Everton are getting annoyed with me…

evertonannoyed.jpg
I guess this negotiation is over :)

As the first friendly match comes closer I have to think about my situation on the wings some more. I think M’Bia allows me to play either Kuzmanovic or Traesch on the wing, so despite having some more cash on the bank, I will play my first match without any further transfers for now. Other teams in my league seem to be preparing for the new season as well - Gladbach announces the signing of Park Chu Young from AS Monaco, nice signing…

Ramenskoye is my first opponent and I have decided to start my first 11, including myself on right wing.

firstfriendly.jpg
First match of the season - I am excited!

So far we’ve covered how to start your career based on the three different types of careers available and we had a look at the transfer system. Based on the examples from my play through I’ve shown you how we have a new layer in the negotiation process for FIFA 11’s Career Mode. In order to complete a signing, you have to negotiate with the club as well as the player. As this is one of the major base systems of the mode, I will probably come back to it in one of the next blogs… for now I am off to play my first match of the season and I hope you you’ve enjoyed what you read about Career Mode so far.

Cheers,

Marcel

Source

Re: Fifa 11 Career Mode thread 360/PS3

I remember doing 2 seasons on Fifa 09 and that was it :P

This is about the only mode in Fifa I'm interested in tbh. When are you posting your CM impressions?

And sorry if this is a noobish question, but why is CM limited to only 15 seasons?

Also posted in impressions thread:

More CM questions for Nick:

Scout & Youth Players
- Is there more to the new scouting feature than the scout making recommendations during the transfer period?
- With the old scout system removed, how do we have access to undiscovered youth players to refresh and maintain our squads as the mode advances in years?
- Are CPU teams still automatically generating fake young players?
- Are fake players still faceless?
--> Are they more realistic?
--> Have they been given names that commentators will say?
--> Do they have traits?
--> How are their player models? More varied?

Player Development
- How has the player growth system changed/improved from last year?
- Has the option returned to manage player growth directly or is growth automatic again like last year?
--> If player growth is automatic, do we have any input/involvement in the process?
- How is the speed of player growth (i.e. how many OVR pts might a player gain per year)?
- Has the player scouting reports and potential growth charts evolved/improved?
--> Are they more detailed?
--> Do we know what specific attributes are changing?
--> Are these reports available when deciding on transfers?
- As players grow, is it possible for them to gain new traits?
- As players grow, is it possible for them to gain skill stars for more tricks?

Editing
- Are there any options for editing players within CM?
--> If not, I assume that all edits must be made prior to starting a CM career for them to take effect?

VP
- Can you confirm that in PM mode we will not have the option to control our entire squad on the pitch if our VP is playing?

I remember doing 2 seasons on Fifa 09 and that was it :P

This is about the only mode in FIFA I'm interested in tbh. When are you posting your CM impressions?

I'm down for the full day (fingers crossed) at Guildford Friday, so if I'm fit I'll try and get it posted over the weekend...

Questions so far on the list:

Match Atmosphere:
- Did you notice any difference in atmosphere between home/away/cup matches?
- Does the home crowd have a more active stance to star players from the away team? (Ronaldo getting extra boo's)
- How does custom audio sound? Assuming EA set up atleast one tune to hear it.
- How is the scheduling? Do matches have the right balance relative to time of day and weather? Is a saturday match during the day and weekday matches at night?
- Can you change weather/timeofday in the match screen? I've read you can.
- Does the crowd react appropriatly to a goal?
- Does the crowd have a subtle build-up in noise when a team is close to creating a chance? Irl you can hear the anticipation when Torres get's near the penalty area or lines himslef up for a shot. It's something they should really have in the game to make the sound flow more from action to action.
- Have the fan graphics improved? Team flags, camera flashes, WC-like ribbons during a cup final, stuff like that.
- Do stadiums actually fill up in the top league when playing a derby match?

Editing:
- Can you assign different net/pitch styles to stadiums (for example when setting the name and team for a certain stadium) Probably won't get to actually see it, maybe ask them if possible.
--> If not, I assume that all edits must be made prior to starting a CM career for them to take effect?

Match AI:
- How did you find the AI? Could you tell the difference between teams (Arsenal vs Bolton for example).
- Do teams edit their tactics according to score? A 2-0 lead should mean a more defensive, counter attacking set-up by the winning team, or a team losing should activily play more attacking and take risks.
- Did you notice any difference playing teams fighting relegation or possible champions? For example a team lower in the league (playing a top team) should be set-up to try a get a point (defensive) whereas a team trying to win the league playing relegation fodder should have extra attackign urgency.
- Has P+ made an impact to how teams play? AI giving the ball more often to a star player or using the speed of a winger?
- Does P+ have a big enough effect in general
- Does P+ have a big enough effect in the lower leagues, or do teams become more and more generic the lower you go?
- Did you find you had to combat star players more?
- How is pressure generally? For 10 I had to edit all the teams with custom tactics to back-the-f@#k up!
- Do lower league teams get a ridiculous cup boost?
- How does fatigue effect teams in the league.
- How does fatigue effect teams in cups, lower league teams can be up-for-it for 60min but after that they should be knackered.
- Does the AI make realistic substitutions? Or do they go through the motion every game?
- Does the AI choose appropriate lineups (no more Giggs at LB/ Hangeland at RB) and can we still fix AI lineups if worst case it's still bad?

CM Off-the-Pitch
- What are the club development options?
- Can you change stadium when growing?
- Did you find the menu's to be a good improvement? Found the WC ones to give a decent amount of info / atmosphere.
- Are the news items good? Do they add to the atmosphere, give a realistic impression of what's going on?
- Has board feedback been improved?
- Has the weekly info been improved? I mean, WTF is the point of lastweek/thisweek wages?!
- Is club budget now obvious and clearly presented?
- Are emails usefull?
- Do players try to leave when not being played?
- Good overview of Statistics? Player/leagues/cups/euroleagues/managerhistory/etc
- Is the "Assistant manager" still in the game? If so is it actually remotely useful or does it still choose the completely wrong players for positions?

Transfers
- Does the AI perform realistic transfers?
- Have they sorted out having the same player transfer every window? I'm sure Ive seen the same guy move club every time!
- How active are the AI when trying to buy your player?
- When trying to buy a player is it clear what's going on? CLub want's more / player wants more money / Appropriate transfers = Accrington won't be buying Ronaldo, etc.
- Is scouting a good improvement?
- Free/loan transfers?
- How active are clubs when trying to sign you as manager? Are the offers appropriate? If I'm succesfully managing Liverpool but have a 2* rating (which is odd anyway) I should be getting good euro teams offering jobs, not lower league teams.

Injuries
- I think you know!

Scout & Youth Players- Is there more to the new scouting feature than the scout making recommendations during the transfer period?
- With the old scout system removed, how do we have access to undiscovered youth players to refresh and maintain our squads as the mode advances in years?
--> Do they have traits?

Player Development- How has the player growth system changed/improved from last year?
- Has the option returned to manage player growth directly or is growth automatic again like last year?
--> If player growth is automatic, do we have any input/involvement in the process?
- How is the speed of player growth (i.e. how many OVR pts might a player gain per year)?

VP
- Can you confirm that in PM mode we will not have the option to control our entire squad on the pitch if our VP is playing?

More CM questions for Nick:

Scout & Youth Players
- Is there more to the new scouting feature than the scout making recommendations during the transfer period?
--> Do they have traits?

Player Development
- How has the player growth system changed/improved from last year?

Editing

VP

Match AI:
Does the AI choose appropriate lineups (no more Giggs at LB/ Hangeland at RB) and can we still fix AI lineups if worst case it's still bad?

CM Off-the-Pitch
Is the "Assistant manager" still in the game? If so is it actually remotely useful or does it still choose the completely wrong players for positions?

Nick please ask when we are likely to see real time pitch wear, and of course muddy kits. Also this bullshit about switching shorts socks ect, couldn't they sell them as extras in a DLC?

A further loan system question, is it now possible to get a player in on loan that hasn't been specifically put up for loan by their club? Prize money? Promotion money? TV/season ticket revenue? War chest on promotion to help you survive in the new league? Club takeovers with large transfer funds available? Financial dramas such as with Pompey/Hull requiring significant squad sales?

1. In last year's edition, where we had only 4 years to play, the improvements made by our player was generally so drastic that within one season, you could turn a striker with starting rating of 68 to like 78! And from there, shortly into a world-class player!

Now I'm guessing with the mode having been extended to 15 years, will the growth process be 'slower'? Or will our player be a GOD again already within 4 years even if he started in 60's!? And then remain a god for 10 years!? Or will his stats start to decline as he ages? gets slower? I doubt these are in but goddamn I wish they were!

2. Would all players have the same 'potential' rating for improvement when taken over by us in player mode? Cuz it seems like whether I pick Neymar as my player or the crappiest player with no future, he can and WILL grow up to be a world-class player.

What if we pick someone who is already past his peak or on way down... like Richard Dunne let's say? Will he continue to improve or if anything realistically get worse and worse every year?

3. This is really a long-shot and I very much doubt it's in but one can hope at least for future.....

Do you get subbed in as a youngster trying to break into the 1st team with 20-min cameo appearances around like 70th minute? Or get subbed off if you're getting tired or playing bad....?

These things would add so much realism. Or do you start every game (even it's for reserves) and play full match.

Now I know of course as a player/manager, you can sub yourself in and out but in the strictly 'player' mode (old BAP), I wonder if manager would do things like that.

4. Lastly, I just wanna know if there's any real additions/improvements to the BAP (player mode)?

Last edited:
Re: Fifa 11 Career Mode talk 360/PS3

Nice. I sure hope you get enough time to both play, observe, and answer every question.

Nick,

I already added Max's and Placebo's questions to my list to make it easier to copy/print.

A further loan system question, is it now possible to get a player in on loan that hasn't been specifically put up for loan by their club?

What, no live blogging? No webcast? Where's the effort?

I'm on my back up back up phone which is only good for er.. being a phone, 1 stolen, 1 water damaged and my other half managed to melt my laptop (don't ask) and our other one is a only fit to put a cup of coffee on, besides which I can't be arsed... :PIRATE:

Last edited:

This thread is gonna be my new homepage! :D

Can't wait for you to spill some further info for us Nick. :D

Good luck on Friday.

I'm on my back up back up phone which is only good for er.. being a phone, 1 stolen, 1 water damaged and my other half managed to melt my laptop (don't ask) and our other one is a only fit to put a cup of coffee on, besides which I can't be arsed... :PIRATE:

You should hide your porn better..........

Apologies if asked before:

Finances: Prize money? Promotion money? TV/season ticket revenue? War chest on promotion to help you survive in the new league? Club takeovers with large transfer funds available? Financial dramas such as with Pompey/Hull requiring significant squad sales?

Apologies if asked before:

Finances: Prize money? Promotion money? TV/season ticket revenue? War chest on promotion to help you survive in the new league? Club takeovers with large transfer funds available? Financial dramas such as with Pompey/Hull requiring significant squad sales?

^Reminded me of the previous feature (removed for 10 or 09?) where random story events happened throughout the season, resulting in extra cash, increase in morale, etc. Remember those?

It was a weak feature but I missed them last year (another feature removed, argh!) just for adding to immersion.

Doubt they've returned (no major feature announcement!) but it'd be nice to check-out just in case.

Re: prize/promotion money, that really needs to be investigated - huge problems in past when gaining promotion but being too broke to compete.

Yeah that was 08 and maybe also 09, was really shit though, stuff like "the board found some extra transfer funds down the back of the sofar, £3.60 has been added to your transfer kitty"......

Yeah that was 08 and maybe also 09, was really shit though, stuff like "the board found some extra transfer funds down the back of the sofar, £3.60 has been added to your transfer kitty"......

Lol, yeah it was pathetic. I like to think it was added simply to play the comic relief role.

Lol, yeah it was pathetic. I like to think it was added simply to play the comic relief role.

You would think that wouldn't you... still it's EA we're talking about with their improved MM from last year, including 50 major improvements. Little did we know it were 50 bugs.

*Goes to church and prays his ass off for a bugless CM in FIFA11*

Nick, Here are a few questions regarding BAP mode which is now part of CM that I'd really like to know.

1. In last year's edition, where we had only 4 years to play, the improvements made by our player was generally so drastic that within one season, you could turn a striker with starting rating of 68 to like 78! And from there, shortly into a world-class player!

Now I'm guessing with the mode having been extended to 15 years, will the growth process be 'slower'? Or will our player be a GOD again already within 4 years even if he started in 60's!? And then remain a god for 10 years!? Or will his stats start to decline as he ages? gets slower? I doubt these are in but goddamn I wish they were!

2. Would all players have the same 'potential' rating for improvement when taken over by us in player mode? Cuz it seems like whether I pick Neymar as my player or the crappiest player with no future, he can and WILL grow up to be a world-class player.

What if we pick someone who is already past his peak or on way down... like Richard Dunne let's say? Will he continue to improve or if anything realistically get worse and worse every year?

3. This is really a long-shot and I very much doubt it's in but one can hope at least for future.....

Do you get subbed in as a youngster trying to break into the 1st team with 20-min cameo appearances around like 70th minute? Or get subbed off if you're getting tired or playing bad....?

These things would add so much realism. Or do you start every game (even it's for reserves) and play full match.

Now I know of course as a player/manager, you can sub yourself in and out but in the strictly 'player' mode (old BAP), I wonder if manager would do things like that.

4. Lastly, I just wanna know if there's any real additions/improvements to the BAP (player mode)?

:D :LMAO:

*Goes to church and prays his ass off for a bugless CM in FIFA11*

Hahah. Pray for me too.

There's a LOT of changes I want to see, ideally and ways that MM can be massively improved. Lots of little things. Many of which have been mentioned in various threads.

But to be honest, I could live with what we have for now as long as at least it f'n functions! Lol As long as it's not full of bugs and doesn't freeze on you and make you re-start over and over again!

If I can do 5 seasons I'll be happy. This year of course they're promising 15! As long as it doesn't crash, I'm already happy lol. Any of these extra additions would be like a bonus for me!

Gonna be a big day tomorrow! :D

This is probably somewhere on the list but I hope this year the CPU AI line-ups make a little more sense so you don't face Man U and see Rio Ferdinand playing RB or anything like that which was quite common in last year's mode.

I hope Nick doesn't break his leg or something. Actually make that his arm, as he can still test it out with a broken leg.....

Knowing Nicks passion about Manager Mode (Career) he probably hired a limo that dropped him off at the door accompanied by two bodyguards...

I know I would! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom