Fifa 11 Career Mode News Thread 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11 Career Mode talk 360/PS3

Nick's preview can be found in the news thread as well. Here and here, in addition to Nick's sig :P

Great read Nick. Thanks for that :)

Nick, you're an absolute legend! :WORSHIP:

Thanks for the all the efforts!

The thing I'm most happy about is the sound the post/crossbar makes. Is what you said that it makes the "thud" or "bash" sound that it makes in the EPL? As opposed to the outdated "ping"?

Such as little change but I love it!

Not a particularly confidence filling start:

You cannot have played 10's MM without experiencing the bugs, it's simply impossible.

As i responded to you in the comments. It was a typo. I didn't experience all of the known bugs.

When you view the other league tables, can you just view the ones from the league's in the country your playing in or can you view all the tables like you can in WC 2010?

Last edited:

When you view the other league tables, can you just view the ones from the league's in the country your playing in or can you view all the tables like you can in WC 2010?
Originally i did leave out the word all, which seems to have caused some confusion.

I did get plenty of bugs in MM in Fifa10, but for example i didn't ever get the debt bug, which was what i meant. I didn't experience them all first hand.

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/im-not-a-wheeler-a-dealer-no/

The dude from FSB posted his article 2.

Me and Placebo have apparently joined forces to bug the hell out of Rutter with twitter... :JAY: :LOL:

Here's what I just posted on the FSB blog in response. I didn't mean to sound as upset with Mills as may be inferred, rather I'm just disappointed as hell with EA and Marcel. Also, the more I play the WC game, the more I'm noticing some of these CM "new" improvements are already in the WC game, or at least the foundations for them are there, like the new layout and injury systems. Anyways, my post from the blog:

“Considering it’s been knocked down and started again, I was expecting to see some features sacrificed, moving back to move forward and all that, but it didn’t seem to be the case.”

Really? How about Player Form, Youth Scouting, or Manual Player Growth? Yes, all these features had their issues but all three, and especially the latter two, had great implications for how we created and molded our team, and isn’t that what manager modes are suppose to be about? Sure, transfers are better now, but they’ve stripped away most, if not all, of the features that actually have to do with being a manager without adding replacements.

I get that EA needed to scrap the old code and start fresh, no small task, but we should not be letting them off so easily for their disgraceful treatment over the last few years of one of the game’s core and most popular gamemodes.

And you say “The biggest change for me was that games are now set up correctly.” I imagine you’d like to rephrase that, because if that’s the biggest change, than for the love of god what the hell have they been doing all year? Even if it’s considered one of the biggest changes is pathetic – how is this not considered anything but a simple fix, something we should expect to begin with.

And wait, Liverpool at the bottom of the Premiere League and Wolves at the top? No injuries during matches, even when you actually tried to injure players? Only a couple long-term injuries the whole season? What a joke!

Basically, looks like Marcel played the WC game and said, “Screw it, I’ll just take the WC game, slap a couple tweaks on it, and call it CM."

The thing I'm most happy about is the sound the post/crossbar makes. Is what you said that it makes the "thud" or "bash" sound that it makes in the EPL? As opposed to the outdated "ping"?

Such as little change but I love it!

It is a real thud, that and the ball hitting the net and the bottom tension bar do sound sweet...;)

Here's what I just posted on the FSB blog in response. I didn't mean to sound as upset with Mills as may be inferred, rather I'm just disappointed as hell with EA and Marcel. Also, the more I play the WC game, the more I'm noticing some of these CM "new" improvements are already in the WC game, or at least the foundations for them are there, like the new layout and injury systems. Anyways, my post from the blog:

“Considering it’s been knocked down and started again, I was expecting to see some features sacrificed, moving back to move forward and all that, but it didn’t seem to be the case.”

Really? How about Player Form, Youth Scouting, or Manual Player Growth? Yes, all these features had their issues but all three, and especially the latter two, had great implications for how we created and molded our team, and isn’t that what manager modes are suppose to be about? Sure, transfers are better now, but they’ve stripped away most, if not all, of the features that actually have to do with being a manager without adding replacements.

I get that EA needed to scrap the old code and start fresh, no small task, but we should not be letting them off so easily for their disgraceful treatment over the last few years of one of the game’s core and most popular gamemodes.

And you say “The biggest change for me was that games are now set up correctly.” I imagine you’d like to rephrase that, because if that’s the biggest change, than for the love of god what the hell have they been doing all year? Even if it’s considered one of the biggest changes is pathetic – how is this not considered anything but a simple fix, something we should expect to begin with.

And wait, Liverpool at the bottom of the Premiere League and Wolves at the top? No injuries during matches, even when you actually tried to injure players? Only a couple long-term injuries the whole season? What a joke!

Basically, looks like Marcel played the WC game and said, “Screw it, I’ll just take the WC game, slap a couple tweaks on it, and call it CM."

If you don't want to let them off easily, then don't. hassle, poke, prod and pry until YOU get YOUR results. if you think i'm just being light hearted and "letting them off" then you're mistaken, seriously deluded and plain wrong.

The long term injury model, to me, is right, as long as it works. Whether they do or not is another matter. We will see when it's released. Nick and myself were told they were in, but we just didn't see them, when we questioned it and pointed out that we were concerned we didn't see any. It was hugely concerning that we didn't see any from gameplay, which was why we talked to marcel about it. which was why i wrote that we had talked to marcel about it......

“The biggest change for me was that games are now set up correctly.”
I don't want to rephrase it at all. That is one thing that adds authenticity and makes a difference to me, it wound me up massivley last year to play european games in the afternoon sun, and it's been fixed. If you don't agree that doesn't make me wrong.

From your reaction, you either didn't read what i wrote properly, or you read what you wanted to see. All of the problems we had and that i wrote about, we brought up with marcel at the end of the day. we can't do any more than that. we played, found issues, and made the relevant people aware of them.

It was an article written from my perpective, on what i saw, i was happy with with that.

tm, it's a good article man.

And I appreciate you and Nick both not only going there and disecting the mode the best you can and talking to Marcel but reporting back to us with all these findings and info.

Proud of you boys both.

If you don't want to let them off easily, then don't. hassle, poke, prod and pry until YOU get YOUR results. if you think i'm just being light hearted and "letting them off" then you're mistaken, seriously deluded and plain wrong.

The long term injury model, to me, is right, as long as it works. Whether they do or not is another matter. We will see when it's released. Nick and myself were told they were in, but we just didn't see them, when we questioned it and pointed out that we were concerned we didn't see any. It was hugely concerning that we didn't see any from gameplay, which was why we talked to marcel about it. which was why i wrote that we had talked to marcel about it......

“The biggest change for me was that games are now set up correctly.”
I don't want to rephrase it at all. That is one thing that adds authenticity and makes a difference to me, it wound me up massivley last year to play european games in the afternoon sun, and it's been fixed. If you don't agree that doesn't make me wrong.

From your reaction, you either didn't read what i wrote properly, or you read what you wanted to see. All of the problems we had and that i wrote about, we brought up with marcel at the end of the day. we can't do any more than that. we played, found issues, and made the relevant people aware of them.

It was an article written from my perpective, on what i saw, i was happy with with that.

No, I'm pretty sure I got it. Maybe I just expect more out of EA. I certainly expect more from their yearly updates than primarily fixing things, like the time of day matches are played at, that should've worked previously. Maybe it's just me but I expect more features to be added than taken away, or if features, like the old scout and player form, are removed to at least replace them with adequate replacements.

I also didn't criticize the new injury system, I criticized the results, or lack there of, based on your's and Nick's reports, and our past experience with injuries and Marcel's promises.

While the vast majority of my frustration was meant to be directed at EA, your blog is an important source of information for countless FIFA fans, and there's some important facts I wish you had mentioned. A fair and balanced preview, imo, would detail what is in the game mode, but also should mention the major features EA have removed, such as player form, scouting, and manual player growth. Yes these features were not implemented well, but, like injuries, many of us MM fans would have liked, even expected, EA to fix the problems rather than remove them altogether while talking about a major step forward this year.

FSB is in the position of being able to make a difference and hold EA accountable. I don't think I'm the only "deluded" person here who wishes you guys didn't hold back so many punches.

Last edited:

We played on Pro, and all three struggled on full Manual TBH, it's instantly different from 10 in the way the AI attacks and takes you on, plus the non stop press has been toned down...

Did not see any though we were playing and simming so it was hard to get that rhythm to see things like that, as for FA replays we didn't get to one I'm afraid.
The contract was for one year from memory with no chance to extend that we saw...

Cheers for the slice of info. So do you reckon that Replays are in although you never saw them? As EA said 'authentic tournament structures'. I hope they don't disappoint.

Is the defensive AI much better than in WC 2010? In WC 2010 on World Class, it's far to easy to just make a pass to one of your players on the edge of the box, turn the defender then tap it past the GK even against teams such as Spain and Brazil. The gameplay is so dull and soulless because you can just rinse and repeat the same thing to score.

The only way the CPU compete in certain matches is by the non stop pressure so it's harder to turn the defenders. Does the improved AI positioning and marking make up for this?

No, I'm pretty sure I got it. Maybe I just expect more out of EA. I certainly expect more from their yearly updates than primarily fixing things, like the time of day matches are played at, that should've worked previously. Maybe it's just me but I expect more features to be added than taken away, or if features, like the old scout and player form, are removed to at least replace them with adequate replacements.

I also didn't criticize the new injury system, I criticized the results, or lack there of, based on your's and Nick's reports, and our past experience with injuries and Marcel's promises.

While the vast majority of my frustration was meant to be directed at EA, your blog is an important source of information for countless FIFA fans, and there's some important facts I wish you had mentioned. A fair and balanced preview, imo, would detail what is in the game mode, but also should mention the major features EA have removed, such as player form, scouting, and manual player growth. Yes these features were not implemented well, but, like injuries, many of us MM fans would have liked, even expected, EA to fix the problems rather than remove them altogether while talking about a major step forward this year.

FSB is in the position of being able to make a difference and hold EA accountable. I don't think I'm the only "deluded" person here who wishes you guys didn't hold back so many punches.
I completely understand what you are saying, but i'm not entirely sure what has made you expect more of them? Let's face it, since about 08 online play has been their big push and offline has taken a backseat. I think it's wrong, but as i don't work for EA, there is only so much pressure that can be applied, and it can still fall on deaf ears. Hate to say it but it's true and we all know it.

My point was that those problems like the match scheduling are fixed. Should they have been broken in the first place? Absolutely not, but they were. Nothing you or I or anyone outside EA can do about it other than raise the issues and complain about it. We did, it got fixed.

I don't think that these issues should be there in the first place for us to find, they should be addressed long before release, and last year the support after launch was nothing short of a joke.

I obviously want more, but consider EAs track record with MM then throw in a tear down and rebuild of most of the stuff behind the scenes, i was surprised and pleased with what i saw. i was expecting less, which was why the article came across in a positive light.

Perhaps i should have covered the bits you say left out, but i did lay out at the top of the article, it was written from the perspective of what IS in there.

What i don't want people to think is that the people who go to these events are in bed with EA in some way because we aren't, we give up our own time and money to go and play and give feedback. We obviously criticise, but we also have to say when we see something good too.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Cheers for the slice of info. So do you reckon that Replays are in although you never saw them? As EA said 'authentic tournament structures'. I hope they don't disappoint.

Is the defensive AI much better than in WC 2010? In WC 2010 on World Class, it's far to easy to just make a pass to one of your players on the edge of the box, turn the defender then tap it past the GK even against teams such as Spain and Brazil. The gameplay is so dull and soulless because you can just rinse and repeat the same thing to score.

The only way the CPU compete in certain matches is by the non stop pressure so it's harder to turn the defenders. Does the improved AI positioning and marking make up for this?

I would guess replays are in but as with other bits I can only say what I saw and what Marcel told us so fingers crossed on that one... :P

As for WC I played only a handful of games so as not to tarnish 10 but the AI and pressure were far better in 11 than 10!...

So these 2 parts you wrote Nick along with the Q&A is what you guys had to tell us right or is there still anything left?

p.s. Considering how BAP mode is now part of the CM, I guess the 'player' we choose will now actually participate in FA Cup, league cup, CL matches if our team makes it which is a nice addition because as a BAP mode fan and player, it was tiresome to only play league matches and some for national team in previous additions.

Now I guess, you get to play in different competitions and who knows maybe more likely to start in 3rd round of FA cup against Shrewsbury if you're a Man Utd reserve player as Fergie gives you your chance to impress against lower league opposition...... one can dream. :P

I wonder if the Euro championships will happen in 2 years time and we get to take part in that as a player? And then 2 years later, World Cup?

So these 2 parts you wrote Nick along with the Q&A is what you guys had to tell us right or is there still anything left?

p.s. Considering how BAP mode is now part of the CM, I guess the 'player' we choose will now actually participate in FA Cup, league cup, CL matches if our team makes it which is a nice addition because as a BAP mode fan and player, it was tiresome to only play league matches and some for national team in previous additions.

Now I guess, you get to play in different competitions and who knows maybe more likely to start in 3rd round of FA cup against Shrewsbury if you're a Man Utd reserve player as Fergie gives you your chance to impress against lower league opposition...... one can dream. :P

I wonder if the Euro championships will happen in 2 years time and we get to take part in that as a player? And then 2 years later, World Cup?

For BAP players it will be great, this is the biggest improved mode in the game, we only played as an existing player PLF, and he was already a squad starter.
Phil had ago with bap and said he was in the team for the Friendlies then after some less than great games was dropped and had to wait for a chance..

You will if good enough get to play a full 7 seasons, this will include all the competitions your team is in...

As for International football we didn't ask?... :P

7 full seasons? So if you start as a 20y.o. you will have to retire at 27? It's odd that they haven't allowed you to just play the full 15 seasons as it's a normal range for a pro footballer (18-33). I realise the whole legend / manager part, but if you are a workman like player it would be nice to see the whole squad around you develop whilst trying to keep the succes. I think it would be really good to do a Scholes and bring and sustain succes at a club. I fyou start at a midtable club it might take 3 or 4 seasons to even win a trophy, let alone guide your team to domination in the league and in Europe.

7 full seasons? So if you start as a 20y.o. you will have to retire at 27? It's odd that they haven't allowed you to just play the full 15 seasons as it's a normal range for a pro footballer (18-33). I realise the whole legend / manager part, but if you are a workman like player it would be nice to see the whole squad around you develop whilst trying to keep the succes. I think it would be really good to do a Scholes and bring and sustain succes at a club. I fyou start at a midtable club it might take 3 or 4 seasons to even win a trophy, let alone guide your team to domination in the league and in Europe.

it is a bit strange, but if you throw the 4 years as a player manager into the mix, you could start at 20 and finish playing at 31, then have 4 years as just a manager. Still not ideal.

I completely understand what you are saying, but i'm not entirely sure what has made you expect more of them? Let's face it, since about 08 online play has been their big push and offline has taken a backseat. I think it's wrong, but as i don't work for EA, there is only so much pressure that can be applied, and it can still fall on deaf ears. Hate to say it but it's true and we all know it.

Great response. I appreciate what it takes to put yourself out there like you and Nick have done - don't shoot the messenger as they say - and I applaud you guys for not taking our sometimes overly emotional reactions personally. And you're right, I bet playing CM will be a breath of fresh air after the broken bug fest we experienced last year. MM dominates my time with FIFA and it single-handedly ruined FIFA 10 for me.

I guess you're also right that my expectations may have been too high for MM/CM. Unfortunately, online play isn't for everyone, and maybe I'm turning into the gamer equivalent of a bitter old man as these new next gen modes take the grab the spotlight from the traditional parts of the game.

That said, I don't think my expectations were totally without reason - manager modes, whether PES or FIFA, we've been told are the most popular offline modes, and one of the most popular game modes in general. There are many who have stuck with PES just because of ML. Regarding FIFA specifically, I think MM fans have reason to feel somewhat manipulated and deceived - EA have been talking about the so-called "three-year process" since 08 I believe, appeasing MMers by saying gameplay was so bad it needed the majority of attention first. I think I can speak for many of us when I say we were given the impression big improvements were coming for MM, and when 09 and 10 weren't "our" year, our sights turned to 11 as when FIFA's MM might actually close the gape between it and ML.

FIFA 11 should've been the third year in the hailed multi-year process, but where are we compared to 09? I think we're in a much better position for the future with the new code, but features-wise, FIFA has hardly progressed at all (I don't count BAP as an improvement for MM fans, especially since the mode was in 10.).

Part of my anger is not only with a lack of new features but I'm pissed as hell that they've decided to remove features without giving any reason for doing so. I'm talking about manual player growth and the old scout features - both popular aspects of the game mode, and both OPTIONAL features that had no impact on MM unless you chose to use them. Why oh why did Marcel take these away from us without having replacements ready?

You know, I switched from PES with FIFA 08, and maybe I've been a bit naive, buying into Rutter et al's commitment to raising FIFA's gameplay quality and its value for the "hardcore" fans. So yes, you are right, my expectations of EA have been wrong, but I don't think they were entirely without justification - the devs may not have outright lied but certainly some of what they've said/promised hasn't come to fruition as we've been led to believe.

This year may be prove to be a crossroads for me and it very well may come down to whether PES gameplay has improved enough that I can stand playing the game versus whether FIFA's CM is good and deep enough to keep my attention.

Not that I care because BAP doesn't interest me, but maybe it's because they know the average player doesn't get beyond 4 or 5 seasons in BAP/MM modes before they choose to start over or quit altogether, so this is a way to keep a person's attention? Still, it is surprising they cap the game mode like they do, but hey, at least it's a step forward for you guys after, what, only 4 years in BAP last year?

I don't play BAP either, just thought it was a bit odd with the 15 seasons CM has and it forcing you to change. Why couldn't they have written the code to allow you to do every option for 15 whole seasons. And I don't think marketing research determined that 7 years was enough, I woul dhave expected to hear about the marketing research at some point with all the contacts we have now. It's probably like Marcel said that he liked the nr. or something and randomly thought, "Yeah, 7 seasons should be enough.........let's just do that. We will be lucky if the mode lasts that long without going tits up with bugs anyway."

Back
Top Bottom