Fifa 11 Career Mode News Thread 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11 Career Mode talk 360/PS3

For BAP players it will be great, this is the biggest improved mode in the game, we only played as an existing player PLF, and he was already a squad starter.
Phil had ago with bap and said he was in the team for the Friendlies then after some less than great games was dropped and had to wait for a chance..

You will if good enough get to play a full 7 seasons, this will include all the competitions your team is in...

As for International football we didn't ask?... :P

I'm as BIG a Manager mode freak as the rest of you. It's my fav mode. But I do love BAP mode as well. It's something completely different and one I really enjoy doing on the side.

I like the idea where in one mode and one save I'm controlling the whole team and let's say trying to bring Napoli back to glory days and on another mode/save I'm let's say Edin Dzeko scoring goals for fun in Bundesliga and trying to become the world's top striker and earn my move to Real Madrid or something.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised a lot of you who I seem to have a lot in common with here, seem to have very little or no interest in BAP mode.

Anyway, yeah the combining thing does seem like it's really good news for us BAP mode lovers.

Even it's only 7 years, the fact that I can then play a further 4 as player/manager, 11 years, not ideal but a huge improvement over just having 4 seasons in previous year, so I'm happy.

And the fact that now we'll have different competitions to play and not just league matches will be another added boost.

One question that remains but I'm not hopeful on though it'd be great if it was in is whether your club BUYS/Transfers/gets rid of other players when you're playing as JUST the player. (Player Mode). That would obviously spark things up as you see new faces in your team, new team-mates while some team-mates leave, etc.

Do you guys know if your team does that ?

If not, this should be implemented next year along with being able to get loaned out like Danny Welbeck at Man Utd let's say and of course coming on as a sub or getting subbed off.

The other thing I'm wondering is what happens when you select Player/Manager mode from beginning in terms of your individual selected player (let's say Danny Welbeck), do you still get transfer offers to move to other clubs as the 'player'/? Ala BAP mode? Or do you get offers from other clubs to be manager? As in manager mode?

Certainly opens up some possibilities but brings with it some intriguing questions as well. :)

Last edited:

Hmm so he got some injuries but it's a little vague if they were in match or random training ones? Also weird it doesn't mention the kind of injury? I guess it was the cheap solution to all the whiplash complaints.......

Well from what I understand, he says his VP actually got injured DURING the match in his very first friendly of the season! A severe injury as well the headline news says "Indefinitely out"

Then the other injuries like to Gertner or his new signing Biabany were during training and out for about a month.

My guess is that overall, the injuries sadly aren't as frequent as they are in real life and ideally we'd like but they're definitely improved compared to last version, so a consolation at least.

I'm as BIG a Manager mode freak as the rest of you. It's my fav mode. But I do love BAP mode as well. It's something completely different and one I really enjoy doing on the side.

I like the idea where in one mode and one save I'm controlling the whole team and let's say trying to bring Napoli back to glory days and on another mode/save I'm let's say Edin Dzeko scoring goals for fun in Bundesliga and trying to become the world's top striker and earn my move to Real Madrid or something.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised a lot of you who I seem to have a lot in common with here, seem to have very little or no interest in BAP mode.

Anyway, yeah the combining thing does seem like it's really good news for us BAP mode lovers.

Even it's only 7 years, the fact that I can then play a further 4 as player/manager, 11 years, not ideal but a huge improvement over just having 4 seasons in previous year, so I'm happy.

And the fact that now we'll have different competitions to play and not just league matches will be another added boost.

One question that remains but I'm not hopeful on though it'd be great if it was in is whether your club BUYS/Transfers/gets rid of other players when you're playing as JUST the player. (Player Mode). That would obviously spark things up as you see new faces in your team, new team-mates while some team-mates leave, etc.

Do you guys know if your team does that ?

If not, this should be implemented next year along with being able to get loaned out like Danny Welbeck at Man Utd let's say and of course coming on as a sub or getting subbed off.

The other thing I'm wondering is what happens when you select Player/Manager mode from beginning in terms of your individual selected player (let's say Danny Welbeck), do you still get transfer offers to move to other clubs as the 'player'/? Ala BAP mode? Or do you get offers from other clubs to be manager? As in manager mode?

Certainly opens up some possibilities but brings with it some intriguing questions as well. :)

Don't know on the first one but I would think so..
You can only be Player Manager at the club you got the club legend rating, and with that the option to be PM, if you move you become a Manager only...

Hmm so he got some injuries but it's a little vague if they were in match or random training ones? Also weird it doesn't mention the kind of injury? I guess it was the cheap solution to all the whiplash complaints.......

We had the type of injury with some of them and not others, I think it's the severe ones they don't tell you, don't want to scare the kiddies... :P

Rain in August for the Bundesliga opener... that doesn't exactly fill me with hope for fixed seasonal weather. We'll see. At least we can change it this time.

It's a very tiny thing, but why list long injuries in days? 31 days, 123 days... can't we round up/down to weeks and months :PP

Don't know on the first one but I would think so..

You'd think so? I don't know, I'm not as optimistic about this one but I sure as hell HOPE so.

That's one thing that turned me off about previous BAP modes. You were stuck with the SAME team-mates for eternity as your club wouldn't buy or sell anyone, so it's even the same starting line up pretty much game after game, year after year and you're the only one who's moving up/down the ranks.

That's one thing that gave me the urge to get transferred and move to a different team because then I'd experience a new set of team-mates, etc.

It'd be nice if we could find out if this is in, or not. If AI (being our manager in player mode) does sell/buy players and dip in the transfer market.

You can only be Player Manager at the club you got the club legend rating, and with that the option to be PM, if you move you become a Manager only...

Yeah I mean with the option where we select from the beginning of the game that we want to be player-manager. So then I'd pick to use the same example Danny Welbeck and Man Utd again. (Or do I have to use my VP? I don't have any interest in that, I only like selecting real life players)

So I guess if I get a job at another league/team now, I will become manager of that team but Welbeck will remain a Man Utd player of course which I have no control over anymore?

What if I were to buy him for my new team? :P Ok... I guess this is pushing it... loool

Well, at least what's still in CM from MM looks pretty solid. Good to see Marcel got a major injury in his first friendly, although I agree the frequency of injuries does not seem high enough. But man, I'd be pissed if my VP got a multi-month injury in my first friendly!

@Nick: Do know the answers to any of these:

-- How good are the scouts recommendations for signings? Any examples?

-- Were the board expectations more realistic?

-- Did you notice limits on number of players that can be sold, like last year?

-- Did you notice many/enough young free agents we'd be able to sign on the cheap, so to replace old scouting feature?
--------Any feedback on why old scout was removed and replaced with a noob feature?

-- Any idea whether returned loan players grow this time?

-- What does the coach and assistant coach do?

I had thought I was going to like BAP, as it does sound like a cool feature on paper, but after a game or two controlling just one player I begin wishing I was controlling the whole squad. Maybe I just don't have the patience for it - I'm constantly calling for the ball! Also, I don't like not having control over tactics and formations etc. I'll give it a go again this year though.

Give it a go bro, you may surprise yourself.

You sound like a true proper hardcore football fan to me from the bits I've read just like myself. It does take more patience as in real life where you are just ONE person out there on the field. You could even be the best player but even if you're Messi and play for Barca, you are one man in a TEAM at the end of the day. And you don't make decisions for others, it's up to you to get open and then ask for the ball or make great runs without being offside and asking for Xavi to release that perfect through ball.

And to be honest, you have a lot more control than in real life anyway because in this game, nearly 90% of the time, when you DO ask for the ball, they do give it to you (if you're not in a stupid position), where as in real life of course, your team-mates might be a lot more selfish, ignore you or use other options.

And you can use the attacking/defending sliders... and of course when you become captain, you do choose the lineups, tactics, set-piece takers, everything. And NOW that EA have bundled Player/Manager mode together, we can even be manager and buy players (transfers) ourselves as manager to find the perfect striker partner for us let's say ;) and re-shape the team we like while still controlling one player ala BAP mode.

I LOVE controlling the whole team and even more so managing it but I love BAP mode almost as much. One from perspective of a club, one from perspective of a single player like if any of us were to become Professional players.

For me, they're not substitutes, and each truly deserve my attention in their own unique ways. I really appreciate both modes and often have one of each going as I pointed out earlier with my example of trying to bring Napoli back to glory days let's say in Serie A while controlling a hot-shot forward like Dzeko scoring all kinds of goals and helping my club Wolfsburg continue to re-write history before getting my move to a huge club and captaining Bosnia to World cup, etc!

One thing I should note is that as great as the Be a Pro Camera LOOKS, I personally can't and don't use it! Tried but failed miserable. I use the same Tele (zoomed out) cam that I use while controlling the whole team. I just can't play BAP using the Pro Cam. Everything looks awesome but in terms of actual passing/shooting accuracy, it's hard for me to do what I want properly.

I really suggest all friends in this thread to give "Player Mode" a real proper try this time especially now that they've combined the modes and it seems much improved.

@Nick, What were the objectives Leeds gave you guys for the season when you picked Sam? I forget... was it to break into 1st team starting line up?

It'd be nice if this time, the team really cares about your role too. So if you pick John Terry, your match rating is far more weighted towards percentage of successful tackles/headers won or interceptions rather than your goals for the match being 'Score 1 goal' , 'Win match' as opposed to before.

Nick/Tim for the half time/full time replays did you find any "dipping 30 yard volley crashing against the crossbar" type near misses to be replaced n the highlights with "5 yard trickle back to the keeper"?

I realise this isn't a career mode question but a bit late now!

Great response. I appreciate what it takes to put yourself out there like you and Nick have done - don't shoot the messenger as they say - and I applaud you guys for not taking our sometimes overly emotional reactions personally. And you're right, I bet playing CM will be a breath of fresh air after the broken bug fest we experienced last year. MM dominates my time with FIFA and it single-handedly ruined FIFA 10 for me.
I'm of the opinion that people who put their personal time back into the game besides playing, be that through playtests or hammering forums with ideas etc, are people who want the game to get better, so essentially we are all on the same side. You're never going to agree with everyone all the time, and it seems that manager mode especially has a hardcore following who are feeling particularly let down after the last few releases. I understand that any venting isn't neccesarily directed at me (most of the time...:)))

I also don't think your expectations are without reason, it's more the lack of follow through we have seen on the press talk thats made me take everything said with a large pinch of salt.

Regarding the removal of features, this years excuse will be time. Whether it's true or not, i can't see us being told anything different.

My biggest hope this year is for ongoing support once issues are found. I know that nothing will ever be perfect, there will be bugs, it's how they are handled that makes the difference and last year it was handled very very badly. EA could salvage quite a bit of their reputation if they respond quickly to issues and put that new patching mechanism to good use.

I've heard trickles on twitter of well respected Fifa players moving back to PES this year, so if you do decide to switch back, you won't be alone.
Nick/Tim for the half time/full time replays did you find any "dipping 30 yard volley crashing against the crossbar" type near misses to be replaced n the highlights with "5 yard trickle back to the keeper"?

I realise this isn't a career mode question but a bit late now!
No i didn't see anything like that, the highlights it picked out were generally the best bits of the game, but if you had an uneventful match it did pad the ten out with a few duffers.

the only bug we saw was with one of the replays being named incorrectly, but again, we brought it up.

No i didn't see anything like that, the highlights it picked out were generally the best bits of the game, but if you had an uneventful match it did pad the ten out with a few duffers.

the only bug we saw was with one of the replays being named incorrectly, but again, we brought it up.

Ok great thanks :)

Tom, did the CPU teams play their newly signed players? Or was it like last year where the new signings would never be seen in the starting eleven...

Last edited:

Did anyone ask Marcel if the ECC/EFA Finals will be played at a real stadium instead of a generic stadium and rotate to a different venue each season?

I asked Marcel about this last year in the MM Q&A thread but he said it wasn't in Fifa 10 because they didn't take it in into account early in the development cycle.

Fifa Informer are doing a CM Q&A so there'll be some more info out soon, although don't expect much of anything beyond what we know already, I did ask a couple of questions I'd seen posted here without answers (such as subs for friendlies, Euro cup final stadia etc)

@Nick: Do know the answers to any of these:

-- How good are the scouts recommendations for signings? Any examples?

-- Were the board expectations more realistic?

-- Did you notice limits on number of players that can be sold, like last year?

-- Did you notice many/enough young free agents we'd be able to sign on the cheap, so to replace old scouting feature?
--------Any feedback on why old scout was removed and replaced with a noob feature?

-- Any idea whether returned loan players grow this time?

-- What does the coach and assistant coach do?

@Nick, What were the objectives Leeds gave you guys for the season when you picked Sam? I forget... was it to break into 1st team starting line up?

It'd be nice if this time, the team really cares about your role too. So if you pick John Terry, your match rating is far more weighted towards percentage of successful tackles/headers won or interceptions rather than your goals for the match being 'Score 1 goal' , 'Win match' as opposed to before.

It was to become a key team player or similar as he was in the starting 11, there are 7 different levels for the single player...

Guess not. Lol

Been in Paris for a few days PLF with strict no online orders from my other half...:P

Tom, did the CPU teams play their newly signed players? Or was it like last year where the new signings would never be seen in the starting eleven...

We didn't see any TBH but we only played to the League cup final and we simmed loads of games to get there...

Thx Nick, hope your trip to France with the missus earned you some good points for when FIFA11 and PES2011 comes out... :LOL:

@Nick. Was the build you played in your playtest the same as the demo build? Ive played the demo today and im very disappointed with the AI.

Even on Legendary against Real Madrid, the CPU lack any cutting edge offensively and it's to easy to dispossess them of the ball. I know the demo is only 3 minute halves but match after match without conceding is enough to know the AI isn't good enough.

At penalties, the CPU are atrocious. They miss around 8 out of 10 penalties on Legendary usually by hitting the post, blasting it wide or chipping it over the bar.

If this isn't fixed it's a mode breaker. Imagine if your playing away at Chelsea in the FA Cup on Legendary and it goes to a penalty shootout then you win with ease, it will be completely shallow.

Fifa 10 had the same poor AI as the Fifa 10 demo did so that doesn't fill me with confidence that the AI is going to be much different in the final build.

Last edited:

@Nick. Was the build you played in your playtest the same as the demo build? Ive played the demo today and im very disappointed with the AI.

Even on Legendary against Real Madrid, the CPU lack any cutting edge offensively and it's to easy to dispossess them of the ball. I know the demo is only 3 minute halves but match after match without conceding is enough to know the AI isn't good enough.

At penalties, the CPU are atrocious. They miss around 8 out of 10 penalties on Legendary usually by hitting the post, blasting it wide or chipping it over the bar.

If this isn't fixed it's a mode breaker. Imagine if your playing away at Chelsea in the FA Cup on Legendary and it goes to a penalty shootout then you win with ease, it will be completely shallow.

Fifa 10 had the same poor AI as the Fifa 10 demo did so that doesn't fill me with confidence that the AI is going to be much different in the final build.

You must be an excellent player then, because I'm losing all over the place, mostly with 0-1 or 1-2.

You must be an excellent player then, because I'm losing all over the place, mostly with 0-1 or 1-2.

Nah, I'm not particularly good but the CPU can't seem to score on me. First of all the CPU can't aim worth a damn and secondly the AI is too concerned with doing fancy skill moves to bother putting together a decent attack.

That's not to say I'm winning a lot - I play all manual and I'm struggling putting together quality scoring chances on anything higher than Pro difficulty. Problem is, if I go lower than legendary then the CPU can't score!

IMO the defense is overly aggressive, the game still rewards strong physical play at the expense of skillful players, and the offensive AI is mentally handicapped.

Scorpio quoted 'cooler' when he said that Max. ;)

Anyway guys, let's not get off-topic here talking about general gameplay or AI's general potency and whatnot, let's keep this thread about what it is, CM mode.

Not even downloaded the demo yet I'm afraid so I don't know, I'm going to try and get it tonight... :P

I've been scouting for my Career Mode...

I've put all the lower rated youngsters from the reserves in the starting eleven for both away and home teams. It's a slower paced game and opens a whole new dimension of playing this demo.

Töre, Matic, Kaplan, Risse, Pied, Frimpong, Simpson and van Aanholt are on my list to loan with my league 1 team... :JAY:

I'm probably gonna start a CM as 'manager' with your beloved Sporting Lokeren, Scorpio!

I actually tried in FIFA10 but the bug-infested mode stopped me.

I've never played in Belgium and with a team like this, it'll be awhile before I challenge the big ones and hopefully get some European football. Should be a medium-long term project and picking up bargain players for cheap around the world, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm probably gonna start a CM as 'manager' with your beloved Sporting Lokeren, Scorpio!

I actually tried in FIFA10 but the bug-infested mode stopped me.

I've never played in Belgium and with a team like this, it'll be awhile before I challenge the big ones and hopefully get some European football. Should be a medium-long term project and picking up bargain players for cheap around the world, I'm looking forward to it.

Cool! Check PM.

Back
Top Bottom