FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

LOL,

Serves you right for bidding the asking price. You do realise that in some cultures (and Harry's) it's offensive to just bid the asking price. You HAVE to barter. He's not called a Wheeler Dealer for nothing!

I think it's another positive from EA that both you and Nick are being punished for your lack of footballing knowledge!

I'm in my 3rd season now, just got into the Premier league by winning the playoff final beating Portsmouth, I play a 451 and plan to continue that in the Prem with it being so much tougher, I used Gary Madine for the last two seasons but figure he's not up to Prem football yet so decided to spend my whole transfer budget on Peter Crouch with him being the ultimate target man and someone I'm a fan of, my negotiations with Spurs went something like this:

Crouch's Value = £7.2m

Me: I'll give you £7.2m for Peter
Harry: No way me old mucker, we want £7.9m for the lanky jughead
Me: Ok then I'll give you £7.6m for Peter
Harry: Well would you Adam and Eve it ducky, I meant to say we want £8.4m for him
Me: Hmm damn that's a shame, ok how about £7.9m for him?
Harry: £7.9? 7 point 9? Are you having a giraffe? Did I come down in the last shower? We want £10.2m for Peter and that's a bargain.
Me: Bloody hell you drive a hard bargain, tell you what I can go to £8.4m?
Harry: We want £7.9m for Peter and not a penny more!
Me: Errr WTF? You want less than my last bid? Err well ok fine £7.9m it is, sweet!
Harry: This is a waste of my time we're never going to agree terms, I'm not some fucking wheeler dealer you know, stop contacting me you can't buy him now.
Me: Errrr.....

So I ended up with the Austrian flop Maierhoffer instead for £1.4m :(

Bloody hell, combine that sort of rubbish with the lack of player development and I've decided not to bother with FIFA 11 after all. It also sounds like they've regressed with the actual game engine as well...
What is going on???? FIFA's offline modes are one of the few times I've become genuinely angry with the producers and programmers of a game.
I cannot believe that they've released such a shoddy career mode, I seriously worry that I'm going to be playing no footy games come 2012 because PES is a bit like Liverpool FC at the moment; you feel that they're maybe back on track but there's a hell of a lot of work to be done just to cover over the cracks.
Has anybody from the 'community', that EA apparently listen to, been in contact regarding this abomination?
I have this completely unrealistic vision of the offline mode department coming into work at 11, doing an hours work, going on a 3 hour liquid lunch break and then fannying around till hometime. What are they being paid for? If I produced that sort of shoddy workmanship 2 YEARS into a project I would be fired on the spot.
Now, I know it's not realistic to compare my job to the job of a high profile games programmer but these are the basics EA.
I cannot believe I've logged back onto this forum with a view to buying FIFA 11 only to find that Placebo et al are STILL riling against the most basic and immersion-breaking bugs in the game.
If you don't want to cater to your older, more sim-focused demographic David, then don't lie to us like we're idiots.
Rant over.

I'm in my 3rd season now, just got into the Premier league by winning the playoff final beating Portsmouth, I play a 451 and plan to continue that in the Prem with it being so much tougher, I used Gary Madine for the last two seasons but figure he's not up to Prem football yet so decided to spend my whole transfer budget on Peter Crouch with him being the ultimate target man and someone I'm a fan of, my negotiations with Spurs went something like this:

Crouch's Value = £7.2m

Me: I'll give you £7.2m for Peter
Harry: No way me old mucker, we want £7.9m for the lanky jughead
Me: Ok then I'll give you £7.6m for Peter
Harry: Well would you Adam and Eve it ducky, I meant to say we want £8.4m for him
Me: Hmm damn that's a shame, ok how about £7.9m for him?
Harry: £7.9? 7 point 9? Are you having a giraffe? Did I come down in the last shower? We want £10.2m for Peter and that's a bargain.
Me: Bloody hell you drive a hard bargain, tell you what I can go to £8.4m?
Harry: We want £7.9m for Peter and not a penny more!
Me: Errr WTF? You want less than my last bid? Err well ok fine £7.9m it is, sweet!
Harry: This is a waste of my time we're never going to agree terms, I'm not some fucking wheeler dealer you know, stop contacting me you can't buy him now.
Me: Errrr.....

So I ended up with the Austrian flop Maierhoffer instead for £1.4m :(

Hahah brilliant. Had a similar thing when I was playing as Man Utd and had waaaaay too much money but the game wouldn't let me spend it. I made a bid of £30M for Torres (£5M under his asking price), Liverpool said nope, but raise another £5M and he's mine. So I bid £35M and yeah, they suddenly say sorry, he's yours for £55M. Feeling a little ripped off, but with crazy amounts of money, I figure screw it, just pay them. So I bid £55M and they come back saying they're fed up with me screwing them around and will refuse to sell him to me at any price.

Not only that, but from that moment on, the game forever banned me from buying Torres from Liverpool. For, erm, complying with everything they asked of me in the first place.

Moody or what?!

Last edited:
Arrrgghhh.. got to season 2022 and I can't sign anyone who is better than my team average of 76-77, they have either been at their club's too long to leave or and have just signed or just refuse because 30k more than they are on is not enough!!..

This on the back of a great 1-0 win over Madrid in the CL and just missing back to back titles on the last day!..

Foik me the CM so shoddily put together...

2022? That's a mammoth effort dude. Fair play!

What's your manager rating like now? Does getting up to five stars (which I presume you're on by then!) actually influence whether players sign? Doesn't sound like it does from what you've said, which would make the whole point of a manager rating totally useless surely. If it doesn't influence players to sign for you off the back of your reputation, then what purpose does it serve?

I think I got to 2015 or 2016 before my face started to melt with frustration. Good look after that!

LOL I got to 2012......once I realised there's absolutely nothing to do apart from buy and sell players in two tiny transfer windows, and even winning the Champions League rewards you with nothing more than a crappy 10-15 or so second celebration scene, I really didn't see the point.

2022 Nick?!?! Holy crap!!

Your manager rating must be like 5 full stars by now. What kind of job offers you been getting at end of seasons?

2022? That's a mammoth effort dude. Fair play!

What's your manager rating like now? Does getting up to five stars (which I presume you're on by then!) actually influence whether players sign? Doesn't sound like it does from what you've said, which would make the whole point of a manager rating totally useless surely. If it doesn't influence players to sign for you off the back of your reputation, then what purpose does it serve?

I'm 200/200 on my rating and flip between 4.5 and 5 star, it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference TBH.

As I'm with Leeds I never seem to get any more than 17M for winning the Title and 8M for a champions league win. As I have to hold onto my players too I never seem to get a war chest to be able to afford the real big guns, so I make do with mid to high 70's and the odd 80+ players.

I think I got to 2015 or 2016 before my face started to melt with frustration. Good look after that!

There is little to do it's true, my single player CM's are all dead in the water TBH and it's only my 2vAI that's still going as it's still a laugh...

J'sus Nick, get a life!

:D
:D I'm determined to see it through, mainly for info now for the next get together with EA...

2022 Nick?!?! Holy crap!!

Your manager rating must be like 5 full stars by now. What kind of job offers you been getting at end of seasons?
I get pretty much the same ones all the time now, Arsenal, Man City, and the odd other top side then the odd top Spanish or Italian club, had a few others before I won the title but it's mostly the same now I'm top 4...

I found with 09 (only version that I managed quite a career) that I would change it up everytime I won the CL (because I would usually be a league and cup winner in the 1st or 2nd season). So I started with Liverpool (as I always do) developed the team and managed to win in my 4th season. Then I moved to Valencia developed more youth and won it in the 3rd season and then I moved to Milan did the same and won it in my 2nd season. For the 9th season I went back to Liverpool to try and get them back to the top but within a couple of matches it crashed and messed up my save.

I'll be doing that with 11 aswell, am now in my 3rd season with Liverpool and will hopefully win the CL. A good part of the new CM is that it's actually hard to win the league imo. Chelsea are again this season steamrolling the opposition so I'm not sure I'll be able to move on next season. It might take me a few more season to win the league and CL. Haven't won a cup yet either.

Bin trying to quit the game but it just keeps getting better, I’m having some really good games (i.e in trying to break down the defense), unfortunately not much to show for it except this scanty video of an exhibition match. It's too disruptive to record during a CM game and it takes forever to rewind. There are certain footballing aspects when applied, give very satisfying results - things which were completely irrelevant in all previous games. My offense is starting to have a sense of authenticity to it, anyway thought I might share a video.

YouTube - palermo

Last edited:
Bin trying to quit the game but it just keeps getting better, I’m having some really good games (i.e in trying to break down the defense), unfortunately not much to show for it except this scanty video of an exhibition match. It's too disruptive to record during a CM game and it takes forever to rewind. There are certain footballing aspects when applied, give very satisfying results - things which were completely irrelevant in all previous games. My offense is starting to have a sense of authenticity to it, anyway thought I might share a video.

YouTube - palermo

Looks great, when I watch videos like these, it makes me wonder why we care about AI "cheating." Using creative real world footballing "moves", you dominated the AI. Fun stuff.

Don't wanna jinx it but since you gave me that tip about the leaving formation on default unless you're IN the match in CM mode, I've had Zero problems with CM mode freezing, or anything and am now in my 3rd season, no problem.

Hopefully and I think, it will, continue this way. That must have been the main bug.
So just wanted to say a BIG thanks for that buddy.

Am enjoying my CM still. Tho I haven't had as much time to play recently. Oh and I ended up finishing 8th with Leeds in my 2nd season (1st season in EPL) after all after that great brilliant start to season which had me even challenging for title. The 2nd half was MUCH tougher as promoted teams often find it in EPL in real life too (just ask Phil Brown or Ian Holloway, others) and it truly was. I was losing a lot of games, got absolutely HAMMERED by Gunners 5-1 at home which was real nice to see because up until then, even playing against big teams, I was never truly outdone or outclassed.

Ultimately then from being 1st/2nd at X-mas, ended up finishing 8th in EPL and missing out on European football altogether which was disappointing for me as I hate playing Liverpool in both FA/LEague Cup and needed another 'distraction' to league to rotate players, have motivation to continue with Leeds etc. So I was hoping to get a job from abroad but only fricking Newcastle offered me a job and well since they're not in Europe either and even weaker than me now... if that's the case, I'd just rather stick with my Leeds team whom I've built and my players getting better, coming through, etc.

So I was very disappointed to be offered only ONE job at end of season and that from a team in same division despite 3* reputation now but nonetheless, I will continue on and hope to do better things this year now my 3rd season with Leeds having added a couple more quality players.

So far, my home form is very good! Losing only one match to Man City I think who won the treble last year (2nd season) but away form piss poor losing most matches except one against a relegation battler. Seems very realistic.

My players' growth has actually been pretty fine and realistic, hardly ideal but I don't have much reason to complain.

Looks great, when I watch videos like these, it makes me wonder why we care about AI "cheating." Using creative real world footballing "moves", you dominated the AI. Fun stuff.

Yea I can understand some of the complaints, infact I could list a dozen problems that I feel are hardly even discussed, but I strongly disagree with others.

here's a video from that same game that shows the simple use of the left stick to protect the ball (I may have tapped sprint once but generally I can do without sprint at all), its extremely sutble movement of the lefts stick with the tip of my left thumb to balance my player based on body contact. Now I image some people might think this is just incidental but it's not, it's a skill that has taken me a long time to develop and it makes the physical aspect of the game absolutely brillaint once you get the hang of it as opposed to "overly aggressive".

YouTube - taiwoprotecting the ball

Last edited:
CM update;

I'm in to the CL Semi's!!! Was matched up with City in the QF. First leg away, tense tight match. I dominated possesion but couldn't even get a single shot on target....I only had one effort! City countered a bit, but never really got dangerous.

In between the 2 CL match-ups I had to play them in the league, as I only had time for one more match I decided to sim with the back-up team, lost 4-0.

So CL 2nd leg, and it started disastrously, they kicked off, passed the ball around a bit and managed to get the ball to the winger, who ran past Wilson for a clear run, Skrtel came over to cover but the winger passed the ball across the goal for Tevez to tap it in....in the 2nd minute!

Really had to put in one of my most intense performances this season, however I couldn't get the goal in the first half, even hitting the bar and having Carrol miss two 1-on-1's! Second half started the same as the 1st, however it was Liverpool who scored the goal. Gerrard pouncing on a low cross in the 46th min. However City were still through on away goals. Then in the 60th minute Suarez managed to score the 2nd. But hte game was very much on a knife edge, with Liverpool stuck between trying to kill of the match with a 3rd or concede possesion and try to protect the lead. Sadly City decided it for them, Tevez getting a 2nd after 75min.

Liverpool continued to push and managed to ghet the 3rd, and winning goal in the 85th min! Setting themselves up for a semi final with Real Madrid, who had beaten league leaders Utd in the previous round.

Liverpool have already won the league cup, however the league is looking out of reach, 3rd with a 16 point gap to 1st! Chelsea and Utd are steamrolling the league atm, with some 10 matches to go.

I can't remember if I am still in the FA cup, but the CL is the only realistic goal for a top top trophy.

Last edited:
Update:

Well I played the first leg semi at the Bernabeau and it turned out to be a very comfortable match. Two quick counters in the first half (17th and 25th min.) gave the team a 2-0 lead. The rest of the match was pretty scrappy with Real missing a few good chances and hitting the bar. In the final minutes Liverpool might have settled the tie with a Carrol goal to make the final result 3-0! Suarez is a beast in the CL, 11 goals and 3 assists in total, with Carrol, Gerrard second with only 3 goals.

The final will be against either Benfica or Barcelona.

Ended up getting spanked in the CL final :(. Only lost 2-1 in the end, but they were all over me. Managed to pull a goal back around 70min in but other then that was pretty useless.

Moving on,
Who can I moan at for having the genius to remove all the trophy icons from the careermenu and not even list wins in the season by season overview?! All I see is final (for both the league cup and CL for my last season) although who knows what I actually won by looking at the menu. And ofcourse seeing as it's the league cup in my total career overview it says I've won 1 league trophy and zero domestic cups. Honestly, which f#$kin' monkey at EA can I moan at?! I'm in the states in sep. (LA/Vegas/SF) but I feel like taking a quick detour up to Vancouver to punch someone.

Argh, injuries! With Darren Bent, my top scorer, still yet to return from a 7 week injury, I was knocked out of the FA Cup in rainy Sunderland only to receive the news that Gabby Agbonlahor will be out for 88 days :( . That will end his season, in fact.

It's now down to Nathan Delfouneso and/or Andreas Weimann to lead the line, two very inexperienced young forwards. Hopefully Bent will be back in training soon...

Sunderland's winner came via a deflection, a header that my keeper would have comfortably fallen upon had it not bounced off my defender's stomach into the corner. I didn't actually realise it was a cup game. One of my many complaints with CM is that there is never any difference in presentation between competitions. I was going into it thinking that it would be important to avoid defeat in order to keep Sunderland behind me in the table.

Eighth at the moment with eight to go. Curious to find out if the Amateur board setting will be more lenient about not reaching the unlikely Top 4 finish that they demand.

Is there a way to move clubs without getting an offer? I'm still to win anything of note so it will take awhile anyway (12 might be out by then...). Last season I only got two offers, stay with Liverpool or.....wait for it.....

move to Utd!

Some recent goals. The pass and move style I was going after is coming to fruition, I think you can see a tad bit of it in these goals but most of the good stuff happens througout the game aside from goal scoring opportunities.

YouTube - Recentgoals

It's now down to Nathan Delfouneso and/or Andreas Weimann to lead the line, two very inexperienced young forwards.

Had a similar situation, injuries plus champions cup and league being two days apart has forced me to dip into my reserves. Nikola Saric (bought from liverpool youth team) and Iago Falque (both in the high 60's low 70's) have outdone themselves already. Falque's assist for Saric's goal below...
YouTube - saric2

Nice moves, ibra. I liked the threaded pass into space at 0:50.

So I finally finished my experiment with the Amateur board setting. With little to play for in May, I simmed the last three fixtures to find out the answer. If you remember, my previous attempt on a higher board setting resulted in being sacked for finishing 11th. On-pitch difficulty remained Legendary/15mins/Manual.

My Villa team finished 9th this time, having been asked to finish "top four". The leniency of the Amateur board meant that they considered this close enough, and were happy to not only keep me on as manager but also award some extra transfer funds for getting close enough to the objective.

Not only that, but the objective for next season is now "top six" rather than top four.

I received offers from Stoke, Birmingham, Fulham and West Ham. Nothing from outside my division, but my reputation is only 1 star so I guess that makes some sense.

I wasn't quite as immersed in this season as I had been in my previous attempt. There were some good matches but a fair few farces as well, and the various little niggles (buggy player-switching, magnetic ball etc) take their toll more and more. Not to mention the soul-sucking emptiness of the mode. Aside from the occasional rare injury I never had to rotate my players, nor manage budgets... or, y'know, do anything, really.

I wonder if anyone will try to buy Ashley Young this summer, who has been on the transfer list for an entire year? I suspect not :ROLL:

Here's a handful of goals and dribbles from the season:
YouTube - Villa 2 Season Highlights.flv

@ Nerf,

You need to use a team that can play in Europe, then the fatigue starts to work and you have to rotate every other game to keep the players fresh.

Started my new CM after a full 15 season tenure with Leeds got a nice little email complementing me on my managerial career and how I would be moving on to pastures new. Shame the next two emails were about my budgets for the next season... :P

Back
Top Bottom