Fifa 11 "Festival of Fifa" hands-on Impressions

Rodelero

A.K.A. Xaor
21 September 2007
Re: Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

First.

Met Rod and Nick today, very nice chaps. Shame I only saw Rod for 5 mins really.

Yeh - should have come to find you guys really. I loved sitting there when Nick spoke up - instantly realised who it was from his question. Couldn't think of any especially relevant questions (having been forced to sit through a seemingly endless presentation of stuff-I-already knew when frankly I'd have preferred to be playing.

It's not as fast as those videos. Other than that I'm only going to say this as I'm on my phone in the pub. Rod said it, and I agree - it's better than FIFA 10/WC in every way... but not enough, in every way.

To reiterate - those videos do not show the game in a fair light. In those videos I'd struggle to pick out the differences from 10/WC, and in reality, the differences are clear. Oddly enough, if anything is really improved - if anything has been fixed it's the one thing which all those videos would contradict.

The pressure is... a -hell- of a lot less effective than in previous games. It no longer seemed particularly worthwhile as a tactic, and that was for a lot of reasons.

The worst thing, undoubtedly, was the defensive lines. Again, they are better, undoubtedly, but there is far too much of the same old same old defender standing off his man. It's one thing if the whole line drops back to compensate, but all too often you'd have a straight line with one defender 3-5 yards further back because a striker was standing there. There were multiple occasions where I did find my defensive line doing some really bizarre things - usually all on the same theme, dropping back to cover, whilst the other defenders stayed up.

If anything was surprisingly poor - it was the analog sprint. Found very little use for it really. Not sure if anyone had a different experience of that - and I was struggling with the PS3 controllers as it was, don't like the sticks, don't like the triggers, and desperately wanted to play on a 360 controller to make a fairer comparison on certain things. In terms of analog sprint - I really like the concept but because the difference between jogging and sprinting is relatively low in terms of pace, there doesn't seem a huge amount of difference between half press and full press. I also found that it crucified your stamina and turning circle as if it would if you were fully sprinting. Analog speed is a great idea - but I'm not sure about this particular implementation.

A continual feature of the game I felt was a bit off was the contextual error on passes - which is all too often expressed as slow, bounciness, rather than misdirection. It just looks kinda wrong - and I would have hoped for more variety. To see a pass for which error has been applied which was too fast, too slow, too left, too right, curving away from the player, and yes, bobbly - as opposed to the consistent slow, bouncy thing which does occasionally seem very odd.

It does however, to a decent enough extent, neuter the worst of pingpong passing. It's surprising how ruinous a slow, bouncy pass can be to an attack. For me, with the contextual error, it's much more a feeling of it looking wrong and not quite being true to real life than anything.

What I was underwhelmed with in the passing sense was the Pro Passing. I was gobsmacked at how good a completely underweighted pass could be (ie, where the white marker would be 2/3 of the way along and I tapped it). It does have an affect, but as a manual enthusiast I find it far too forgiving.

On the manual side of things - unsurprisingly it is nothing like the changes which would satisfy me, and frustratingly it still has a tendency for direct passes on manual to be too short to do really short passes - and too weak to do the longer passes. It means that you have this bizarre need to use throughball for the really long and really short passes, and direct pass for everything else.

In terms of assisted/semi/manual overall... well I'd say that in general terms the balance is still ordered the same. Assisted tends to be the most effective, followed by semi, followed by manual - but it's definitely contracted a lot. Unfortunately, my hope that semi would become more effective than assisted doesn't seem to be a reality - and I think that's because generally, by design, semi is a harder assisted. The pros of manual, really don't exist in semi (ie, the freedom). I still feel to a large extent that EA's mentality when it comes to adding these features is backwards. The new assistance settings I'd need more time with to really say much about.

The R1+Lob modifer was interesting, didn't get as much use of it as I should because to be honest I forgot about it for quite a few matches. Definitely a nice addition to the repetoire.

And, though not many of the people in here care, the goalkeeper controls feel solid - I only played it in arena, but they work well and i actaully think it could be a pretty fun setting for something completely different.

I tried out as many exploits as I could think of - didn't find any working - but obviously without a serious amount of time, there is a limit to how stringently you can test everything.

There were a few really BS moments - the jumping-over-players and losing ball crap still exists clearly. Skilled dribbling still has all the same quirks, and I often found my player just totally losing the ball at his feet when using it, especially when transitioning in/out of it. This would be maybe understandable (not really) except that the most prominent ecase occured with Messi.

Another occasion, I played a lovely manual throughball to Villa, and he was running alongside the other player (physical interacaction is definitely better btw), and I just managed to tap the ball ahead into the area, and the defender took me out from behind. Their player got a yellow - not even debatable that he was last man and that I would have got a shot off.

Overall I'm focusing on the negatives here and this is brief - I'll get round to answering the questions in the thread soon enough. Just wanted to put some quick (!) thoughts here. Don't get too depressed from the negatives in here - I'm just trying to gt everything bad down unless I forget. I realise i haven't mentioned Personality+ - not because it's bad or not noticeable, but because I'm tired, and it's not really a negative.

The user skill part of the pro passing feels toned right down. The maximum passing speed seems much closer to the ideal speed; the lower end feels brought way up. The end result is, whether you min or max your pass, it just seems to be fine. I fiddled with switching the power bar dependency off and on, and didn't notice a significant difference at all.

It is improved over WC2010 and is incredibly polished in most regards but the passing directional accuracy is negligible and the weight of the passes isn't really varied anymore (except when pingponging beyond the third pass or so). Pressing is definitely toned down in effectiveness... But to me the passing speed is actually too slow if anything!

There genuinely are some very good points and a lot of interesting things in there; just echoing Rod's POV really.

Hi Rom, seems like pro passing is more gimmick than anything else. Shame. Did they ask for feedback from you and was the general consensus the same re pro passing. Surely they can tweak this to make the gauge less accurate. This is why everybody gets so irate with EA. They get so close and then seem to drop the baton on the home straight.

To be exact with this - Pro Passing does do something, and it is important, but the contextual element of it is far, far more meaningful than the user element. The contextual element actually has done a lot to deal with the problem - I just found that the user element seemed somewhat.. meaningless?

I mean, put it this way, some people have assumed it's kinda like manual weighting for assisted passing - and whilst it was never really described that way by EA, anyone who thought that was so, so wrong. It's so forgiving. It kinda seems that you can get it AS far underweighted as possible, and it will be maybe a little soft, as far overweighted as possible, and it will be a little hard - if that makes sense.

The contextual element, I actually think works relatively well, I just wish it was more of an even disparity rather than it all being represented as bobbliness.

So... if Pro Passing is a gimmick it is rather specifically one part of the many elements of pro passing. Obviously, I didn't play with any particularly bad teams (the worst team in the build was Bayer Levurkusen which dramatically reduced how much I could test in that sense).

Pro Passing and Personality+ arent' gimmicks - (though the + and the Pro are! - by the way, Real AI, actaully isn't, it's R.E.A.L. AI - I think it was Recorded, Evaluated, Analysed, and Learned, I think!)... they are apparent. The question is whether they are enough.

In regards to stamina - I found it to be better, definitely, but I was unsure whether that was the final stamina - it didn't match Gary's description of last night with it turning red. It means more, and it definely reduces much faster (though - I'm afraid to say we were playing 3 minute halves) but I think Rutter implied that it wasn't the final model. I'd wait for the forthcoming video (...) for this to an extent - but again, like most things with FIFA 11 - it's better than the previous games by some margin.

There was one occasion where I thought I saw multiple players going for a header. I have to be honest, I wasn't certain - either way, it's not much of a feature if I maybe saw it once in multiple hours.

Again, interesting to hear what others say...

Coffee time that should sort me out, as I'm up in 4 hours now, i may as well give some off the top of my head thoughts on the build...

Speed is fine in my eyes, i did not get in to mess with the settings but I played on a couple of games that were slower than the others, but I saw nothing like the videos people were raging about..
I also saw no obvious exploits, as did anyone else and Dave asked us to tape/note anything like that we found so it can be addressed either pre or post launch...

Damn, my note book is in the car so most I'll post tomorrow but from memory in no particular order, You are not in Europe in the first season in MM, even if you pick a club that should be, the sound of the ball hitting the bottom holding bar in the back of the net sounds lovely...

The personality plus is evident, though as all the demo teams were good and the only other copy we got to play was a lesser build it's hard to say how this will effect or work with lesser teams, player individuality was more evident too...

I didn't see any clear cases of more than one player from each side going for a high ball, not for the lack of trying and making me look like a long ball into the box whacker in a couple of games...

A bad pass shouldn't mean it bobbles. What the feck is that about. So on the Emirates pitch we are going to see bobbly passes?? Great.

To clarify, it's more in the sense that it's sort of, slightly lofted so as opposed to rolling crisply along the ground it will have a more unpredictable height. It's not going along and bouncing off imaginary bumps - it's just sort of .. a bouncy pass.

It does the job, technically, it makes pingppong passing ineffective, it just kinda feels wrong. It's not the biggest of deals really.

To clarify, it's more in the sense that it's sort of, slightly lofted so as opposed to rolling crisply along the ground it will have a more unpredictable height. It's not going along and bouncing off imaginary bumps - it's just sort of .. a bouncy pass.

It does the job, technically, it makes pingppong passing ineffective, it just kinda feels wrong. It's not the biggest of deals really.

Yeah, even though you were playing with great teams it was far harder to ping pong pass than FIFA 10, though you could slot good passes together...

Ping pong isn't dead. The passing isn't nearly as fast so it doesn't cover the field as quickly and it does lose more pace with subsequent pingpongs, but it isn't gone. Whether the pingpong experts will find a way around it I don't know - we did try pingponging a few times today but we ran down dead ends a lot which may have been because it was easier to close down but I'm not ruling out that it was because we just weren't any good at cheesing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm off to bed now but the max passing speed seemed pretty slow. I found hitting hard crossfield passes a chore whether I used manual, semi or assisted - though I'm not sure if Rod agreed and he is more of a manual player than I am.

That said I did hit a couple of nice driven lobs. One of them that travelled some 60-odd yards diagonally across the field was utter sex.

I didn't get to play as many games as I'd have liked TBH - I didn't even get to try a Slow game. Dunno if Rod did, I asked him to give it a whirl before I went off for a cig. When I was out there three sk8er kidz walked past and waved at the Emirates security guy, who then waved back. One of the sk8erz then pulled his pants down and flashed his arse at him. The doorman said something like "That's not going to get you anywhere in life, son". I guess he's never been to Brighton before.

Guys any info on crossing? i thought the crossing was horrid last year, too much weird bendiness.

Posted in FIFA thread too...

To add some bits I have not seen added (forgive if already posted) , some from the game play other bits from the team there, in no particular order...

Sprint is now fully analogue..

You can alter the shape and tension of the nets, along with the net style..

Attributes fully drive the game play..

AI players will play to their attributes.. (Saw some very nice AI build up and there were some lovely tricks and drag backs!)..

The AI now works on percentages and will not always take the safest option, Rutter said they had been working hard on this..

You can’t create your own kit, you have a set of templates to work from the same with the crests, though you can assign a home ground there is no ground creator...

In Clubs all positions have traits with them, there are 30 in total but you can only have 5 at any one time...

No more International sides have been added..

Live seasons question got a “no comment” answer from DR, read into that what you will?..

Custom formations are in clubs and online..

There are no more modes or major features in CM mode.. (as I found out very direct from DR)..

The lack of vids has been covered by others a lot, but in a nut shell it was down to getting approval on kits…

In clubs you can have practice matches v CPU and these can be used as tryouts for budding members..

Lounge mode is still in the game...

The online freeze in games has been fixed..

From now most if not all game play problems can be fixed without the need for a patch..

Offsides should now have the “not interfering with play” rule.. (I did not see this occur in the demo I must admit)

As I said this morning, if you pick a side that should be in Europe in the first season when you select a CM mode you won’t be..

Some parts of the stamina system were still being worked on so we did not get to see those in the build, and the games were a little too short to notice any major change in the time we played…

I did not see any of the real banana benders in the games I played or watched...

Thats great thanks Nick.

A few more questions that may have been covered already but, is the shooting a bit heavier now? I noticed in the Fifa 10 demo it seemed harder and lower than the full game. Also did they retain the picth sizes and textures from WC2010?

Re: Fifa 11 "Festival of Fifa" hands-on questions

thats great nick, thanks.

can we post questions in here for nick when he gets to play CM in the near future?

1- Is it attribute based like PES?
2- Do players still feel "too light" and hop about with no weight specially when dribbling and changing directions?
3- Scoring feels good and not just "hey, i just scored.."?
4- Any sweet spots for scoring?
5- Shooting feels good?

Also please report on any CM improvements.

I don't know whether this is where you want answers, but I'll do it here. I'll go as far through these first three lots as I can...

1 - Attributes are definitely as lot more meaningful, whether they are quite PES level is more debatable and I wouldn't want to make that claim either way honestly. What I did find is that the difference between a DM, and a CM, was so much more noticeable generally. I'm not a massive fan of any of the teams that were on the demo (apart from Arsenal who were locked in a strange way - I guess that's one of the 'surprises'? - just to note there seemed to be an array of things which were locked in the demo which will be unlockable, I think by playing Superstars. I can't remember them off the top of my head - but one of them was Arsenal, and there were at least 3 or 4 more - not more teams though), so I couldn't really tell you how accurate the personalities were, but it was a lot more obvious who you were. With Messi, I felt empowered to run at a man, knowing that I had the ability to turn, just with normal dribbling mind you, and go past him if he went in carelessly.

It seems fairly noticeable both on the general level of - strikers can no longer tackle like the best of them - and defenders can't pass like Xavi/Iniesta - and in a lot of cases a lot more specific. I would have loved to have used Arsenal as then I really could compare a lot better how accurate it was.

2 - Players aren't exactly weighty - though it doesn't look anywhere near as stupid as some of the videos made it look. I wouldn't expect huge changes here - but having said that I did notice on some occasions that different players did feel a lot heavier and cumbersome when it came to moving them.

3 - Scoring definitely feels better, and there were a few times where I was (silently) celebrating a goal I scored. One which was scored against me too was a really nice goal where he had run across the front of the box - and managed to get real power to smack it into the bottom corner even though it was obviously taken at an angle to his movement. Looked great. Oddly, one of the best things about this is the celebrations. Didn't get a full mastery of the workings but they have changed quite a lot. It's amazing how much better a goal feels when it doesn't end in a player being a total twat - and actually ends in a realistic, team celebration.

Some of the celebrations were fairly typical - scoring a goal and instantly being enveloped by the arms of a teammate - and some were utterly bizarre but hilarious - I think Villa scored and starting doing a fairly bizarre dance - and then all his team just joined in. Sounds silly, but actually looked great.

4 - I'm afraid I really couldn't say with the amount of playtime and the amount of things I was trying to cover. I wouldn't dare say there weren't.

5 - Shooting feels .. better. It still feels a little bit prone to the -up-up-up- floatiness, and I'd like to have seen more of a range of shots in terms of dip than I did. You can get more power on it, and they do dip more - the loose nets helped too (Though again I wouldn't dare say they'll be enough for the fetishists).

As for CM, we were actually I think meant to be able to get our hands on it, but couldn't!

TikTikTikTik said:
Hey Guys,

Here are my questions;

Shooting
- How accurate is Assisted/Semi compared to the 10 and/or WC game? Are they less accurate or more?
- Do shots have a good amount of dip from distance?
- How is chipping? Does it still have a very high trajectory or have they tweaked it? What’s the accuracy like, it should be low imo?
- Do normal shots have (more) curl?
- How effective does the Finesse shot feel?

- I don't play on assisted much for shooting so it's hard to compare - but I did come away thinking that shooting generally was a more prone to error, and less accurate.

- See answer @ Lami

- Chipping is certainly a lot less easy to score from. I actually tended to use more of my time trying the X-exploit-chip than I did using the normal lob. I felt that it was, given the goalkeepers not being morons, not as worth using probably. I think it did have a less high trajectory but didn't try it enough to be sure.

- Again, I think they did, they certainly seemed to be deviating from a straight line a lot more.

- Having got 3-3.5 hours of playtime it's difficult to speculate. I did score a fantastic longshot with David Villa with finesse which was nice - but not many others. It's really a question that will need the proper demo release I think.

Passing
- Is the effect of ProPassing strong enough in your opinion? Is the amount of error / inaccuracy correct between different players?
- How does it feel to use with a hidden powerbar?
- Can you now do very short passing triangles with the correct players? (Barca-style)
- Do long passes have enough error?
- Do penalty area clearances find player to easily or do they land more randomly in space?

- Yes and no. I felt that player-to-player it felt reasonable. Contextual error for first touch passes being the most noticeable part. I found the user-element of pro passing a bit lame. Playing with Barcelona made it easy to test really - pinging it around with the defence was a disaster - but with Xavi/Iniesta you feel empowered to pass quickly, and to play good passes.
- I'm afraid I didn't try this, sorry
- As a manual player, on manual I still found this very hard because the direct pass button just doesn't do short passes. I'd still say that this isn't quite where I'd like to be, but agian, not much playtime. Short passes still seem to be difficult - players never seem to react that well to them.
- It feels better. I wasn't getting/seeing too many of those bizarre situations on FIFA 10 where it seems that the through/long ball has been calculated so that one player gets to it just before the other.
- They felt a lot more like a clearance than a pass, but it that way - then again I'm not sure how many games I was playing on assisted longballs which I presume is the one which really dictates that.

Crossing
- Do crosses now have more dip, and is it enough?
- Did you notice enough difference between players when crossing (for example Beckham vs Terry to give an extreme)
- Are there more crossing variations linked to controls? (2x/3x taps and a finesse cross?)

- I have to be honest I didn't notice a huge difference, but then I didn't get that many opportunities. Three minute halves really aren't condusive to the testing I wanted to do, which sucked.
- Couldn't say honestly, didn't try that kinda thing enough
- I don't believe so, though i'm not sure what would happen if you used RB when crossing (RB being the new driven lob).

Heading
- Does heading at crosses (both open play and corners) have enough “fighting for position”, does it feel more organic and how many players can challenge for the ball (both attacking and defensive)?
- Is there a difference for regular heading (from goalkicks)? Do these feel more organic?

- I have to be honest I very rarely (if at all) saw more than one player on a team going for a ball. I did think there was one occasion where it did happen - so I think it's there - but I don't think it's done in a way which means it's likely you'll get the battles we want.

Generally heading feels a lot better - and on indirect freekicks the attackers start moving when you runup, not after you've kicked, which makes them a lot more potent. I also found headers going a lot more like where I thought they should go, as opposed to FIFA 10's which seemed ridiculously hard to predict and all too often saw an easy header go over and a hard one fly in.

Goalkeeper
- Can you easily chip the goalie? How is the balance between staying on their line and rushing out feel?
- How active are they for crosses? Do they go beyond their 6yr area?
- How are the new animations?
- Can you tell the difference in ability between a top goalie and a poor goalie?

- It seems to have returned to the rushing being more user controlled than anything. You cannot easily chip the keeper
- Didn't notice them being much better at coming out - though they did seem better at dealing with backpost stuff
- Generally very good
- Didn't have that much choice of bad goalies and didn't really think of using a reserve keeper, sorry... it was noticeable, the difference in skill between Casillas and Juventus's keeper (whatever his name was - Storari?).

Personalty+
- Is it noticeable enough from the AI?
- Do you notice it enough when controlling players?
- Which aspects of play did you notice? (Passing quality/possesion/shooting/workrate/agression/etc)

- Didn't play enough to say
- Enough is a pretty subjective word - do you notice it? Hell yes. Does it mean something to gameplay? Hell yes. Enough? I couldn't say, but I'd guess not for those used to PES's level of individuality
- how about all of those? :p. That's I think the main thing - it feels a lot more across-the-board. As opposed to just a few stats mattering, a lot of them do now.

AI
- If playing vs the cpu, does the AI feel different?
- Is possession play, or longball noticeable?
- How is the backline? Both your own and the CPU’s?
- Mentality effectiveness, if going ultra defensive does you team stay around their own area or is the effect as limited as the current games?

Only one I can really answer is the backline - which isn't great. Probably my main issue. It's better, it holds the line more, it doesn't stand so far off attackers, but it does have the tendency to get broken in rather stupid ways.

emiratesdefensiveline.png
That was the kinda thing which happened a fair few times.

- How much difference does the extra player models make?
- Camera effects, have they changed anything (ala PES kickoffcam)
- Celebrations, cutscenes; Have they changed removed the ridiculous stuff? (camera up the arse, etc)
- Any noticeable difference to stadium atmosphere? The difference between Qualifying and WC matches for example.
- Does the sound change according to teams and actions? Does a 3-0 goal sound less muted then a 1-0 last minute?

- It's a lot, lot more noticeable. Again, probably not enough, but it's an improvement undoubtedly.
- Couldn't say
- Answered with Lami I think
- No idea
- No idea (sound was quite low and hard to hear)

Fatigue
- Can you sprint and double pressure for the whole match?
- Can you sprint the length of the pitch without going into your total stamina bar?

I wasn't sure whether the fatigue model was the final one, so I wouldn't like to say for final - but...

You can sprint/double pressure for the whole match but frankly, by the end of it your player -will- be a lot less effective. I kinda want it to go further when your player is really tired. It's kinda hard to test in three minute halves. Double pressuring is less useful in any case, so between the two things it feels a big improvement (on the near no-effect in FIFA 10..)

and as for the last question - I'm afraid I didn't notice but I think you can.

... I'll do more soon.

Did you play any night games and has the lighting been improved?

There are no more modes or major features in CM mode.. (as I found out very direct from DR)..

So as we thought it's just a merge of BAP/MM, pretty shite.

Did they at least say if the bugs of 10's MM are fixed? What about all the AI issues in particular for lineups and player selections?

Did you play any night games and has the lighting been improved?

No they were all day games, certainly all the ones I saw, it did look much better than ten and some of the pitches were lovely, apart from the lack of wear and tear... :P

There were also no new pitch side graphics or animation I could see...

Thats great thanks Nick.

A few more questions that may have been covered already but, is the shooting a bit heavier now? I noticed in the Fifa 10 demo it seemed harder and lower than the full game. Also did they retain the picth sizes and textures from WC2010?

I never played WC to any extent so I see things from a 10-11 stand point, my fear was the shooting too, it did feel heavier in 11, with more power too in some of the strikes I got off..

It was also down to players and positions, quick turn and strikes were difficult to get power in as you would expect but if you picked tight shots with players of high skill in that department you could pull them off...

The pitches were far better than 10, some were fantastic, as I posted above though I did not see any change pitch side...

Thanks Ro,

Great impressions/anwsers!

I find I'm kinda stuck being somewhat dissapointed with the overal mood towards 11, although I did really enjoy the WC game (far more then 10) so I should really like 11. But at the same time I'm really looking forward to PES so the improvements for 11 seem a bit weak. Odd really, although eventually we will hopefully have 2 really good footie games this year.

Did they at least say if the bugs of 10's MM are fixed? What about all the AI issues in particular for lineups and player selections?

Yes, it's a complete re work and issues can be fixed globally, made a point of stating calendar and season issue fixing too and I'm back at Guildford next week with a promise of CM mode so I'm making lists of CM stuff to check, I'm going to go through every option and screen... :PIRATE:

Damn, I was about halfway through a sheet answering the questions off here but Rod has beaten me to it...:DD

Oh well saves me a job...

Last edited:

The PC producer said they printed out the list of 74 bugs (or so) and went through them all and fixed one by one. They're using the old manager mode so maybe you should buy the PC version instead :SMUG:

Great feedback and reviews, enjoying your posts. I have a few questions:

1) In WC, sometimes the wrong player runs after a through ball (often happens when I play a through ball to the winger, and then are switched to the forward, who have to run a longer distance), did you notice this?

2) There have been some comments, that players still fall over each others, but how about standing in the way of each other? (f.ex. a striker runs between a shot and the goal)

3) Did you encounter any frantic randomness in in-the-box situtations?

4) Are defenders (and attackers) better at finishing/clearing quickly in the box, at the expense of accuracy? (There are so many times the defender/attacker needs to control the ball, before doing anything, although I'm just mashing the shoot button, because I know there's no time, but to try a lucky shot.)

5) Was the instant replay cam changed, or is it still crappy?

Thanks,

@ the guys who played it,

Noticed any / too much chesting in the area when trying to header the ball. Rom said they have added more animations for header to make it happen less after the guildford build. You guys notice it?

Will get started on another extensive questionlist for CM. :D

Wow, a lot of questions i've printed have been answered! lol

I'll just write some long and indepth impressions when i get back tonight yeh?

Moved some impressions posts from the questions thread in here. Don't be confused ;)

EDIT: Copied some from the Fifa 11 thread as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom