Fifa 11 "Festival of Fifa" hands-on Impressions

Also extremely disappointed that whole multiple players going for headers thing has been taken out?

I don't think it's necessarily been taken out - it's just that it seems to be a complete no show. It seems to happen so rarely..

Haven't heard anyone else bother to really talk about this on the forums who went to play the game, whether that's because they don't want to criticise or forgot that it was meant to exist, I really dunno.

Then again Dave797 did say on the FSB forums that "

I'll be honest it was as obvious as it was in the Guildford build but it was still there. It was just a lot more subtle which was a shade dissapointing for me. 3-4 people will still go in for a header but it was few and far between tbh.

Although saying that the heading from crosses is a lot better, I was really impressed with the changes they've made. Players really attack the ball now and there are multiple heading animations rather than just one. :)"

I really can't agree from what I played at all. Not even remotely noticeable on all but one cross where maybe three people went for it, but frankly I'm not even sure about that. I was super-underwhelmed by it, it may as well not have been implemented if they're going to implement it badly.

Unfortunate thing is now that I think there are so many positive pre-reviews which really aren't quite... telling the truth about certain things - glossing over negatives and highlighting positives. I really think this whole thing is set up to go a bit nuts when the demo releases because it's been given a perhaps over-positive shine.

Last edited:
I kind of feel the same about the glossing over of certain stuff. Some of the hands on reports seem to be overly upbeat. I guess in a lot of cases these people are just going to be buying FIFA, not PES, so they have a very one-sided view of things or simply don't know what things like player individuality or genuinely balanced online play are about. I don't know if there's some political gesturing or a sense of duty to please, or if they genuinely are quite happy with what they've played, but I have read some stuff and thought 'hmm'. Things like the personality being obvious, or the passing being great, or the first touch being well represented. I think I've seen or read these in separate previews and have been pretty bemused.

The multiple player heading is still way too subtle. I said from the Guildford playtest that it was already too subtle and I did say to EA I wanted more but to me it did actually seem reined in again from that. EA seemed to make out it was very processor intensive which would make it a prime candidate for cutting down to divert resources. Does seem like they have to be doing things in a very inefficient way if it's so expensive to do compared to PES.

Unfortunate thing is now that I think there are so many positive pre-reviews which really aren't quite... telling the truth about certain things - glossing over negatives and highlighting positives. I really think this whole thing is set up to go a bit nuts when the demo releases because it's been given a perhaps over-positive shine.

You can't gloss over a negative if you don't even mention one to begin with! There's quite a few "previews"/impressions on the official forums that only report the positives, and while they're worth a read they are from fair and balanced previews.

I'm not sure much will change with the release of the demo though - I expect most people are already entrenched in their opinions. Those that have been critical of 10 and what's been released so far for 11 will remain critical, while those that loved 10 and the 11 demo will continue to praise it. I hope I'm wrong and you're right though - could get interesting if people go nuts!

*Edit: I didn't mean to imply that there isn't a group of people occupying the middle ground, who are honestly interested in the best realistic football game, no matter the name on the cover. It's just sad that while the majority here are level-headed and open-minded, we're a small minority on the EA forums, where discussion quickly descends into extremes, insults, etc.

Last edited:
Just remembered another nice little touch.

I scored 2 goals which were chopped off for offside. It didn't play out like a PES cutscene where the player started celebrated and then realised he was offside, it was all played out in the in game camera, my player knocked the ball into the net, then turned to the linesman and started gesturing toward him.

I haven't noticed anyone else mention seeing this.

I kind of feel the same about the glossing over of certain stuff. Some of the hands on reports seem to be overly upbeat. I guess in a lot of cases these people are just going to be buying FIFA, not PES, so they have a very one-sided view of things or simply don't know what things like player individuality or genuinely balanced online play are about. I don't know if there's some political gesturing or a sense of duty to please, or if they genuinely are quite happy with what they've played, but I have read some stuff and thought 'hmm'. Things like the personality being obvious, or the passing being great, or the first touch being well represented. I think I've seen or read these in separate previews and have been pretty bemused.

I think that would be it. I'd be amazed if there was anything really dodgy going on, but there is a natural feeling, especially from the invitees, that you're privileged to be there, and so forth. There are lots of ways to go from there - will EA invite you again if you're negative? Do they care at all? And so forth. There is a danger of it becoming too matey, too routine, and a bit circular. I have to say I'm surprised, given last years rather clear overhyping from the playtesters, just how easily that route seems to be travelled again.

It's a difficult one, therefore, to write up your impressions. I look back at what I wrote and I'm a bit iffy about some of it even now (and I don't feel in any instances that I was too harsh - much more the other way round). Can't decide whether to leave those things or to edit them... Personally my intention is that I'd prefer to be too harsh, and people be happy when they get to play it, than people being disappointed when they play it... but I'm fairly sure now that come the 14/15th, come the 1st of Oct, they're going to be a lot of frowny faces. On this forum people are a lot more discerning, on the other, a lot more hyped up. Recipe for disaster.

The multiple player heading is still way too subtle. I said from the Guildford playtest that it was already too subtle and I did say to EA I wanted more but to me it did actually seem reined in again from that. EA seemed to make out it was very processor intensive which would make it a prime candidate for cutting down to divert resources. Does seem like they have to be doing things in a very inefficient way if it's so expensive to do compared to PES.

Either way the results don't justify it, personally. Quite honestly I couldn't have picked anything between the before-header encounters at corners in 10/11. I actually went into the replay mode to check if I had really seen a third man going for a header on one occasion because it was that rare/surprising.

It's the ball watching I hate. 15 people in the area, and all but two are just standing there waiting for the header like dummies. The fact that generally headers aren't aimed over the bar was nice enough. In retrospect it seems less surprising that this feature hadn't been talked about more.

Last edited:
It's the ball watching I hate. 15 people in the area, and all but two are just standing there waiting for the header like dummies. The fact that generally headers aren't aimed over the bar was nice enough. In retrospect it seems less surprising that this feature hadn't been talked about more.

Too bad, was looking forward to this feature. It's a problem with loose balls in general, not just headers, especially when you play with manual controls since playing into space is one of the few advantages manual has. There's nothing worse than putting a brilliant ball into space only for the wrong teammate to react to it.

Their presentation video at Gamescom has the closest thing I've EVER seen to more than 2 players challenging for a header (see 2:33):

YouTube - FIFA 11 - Présentation GC 2010 [HD]

On second viewing of this video I'm a bit concerned about custom chant and music. It says favorite team chant and there is only room for one crowd chant.

I hope this isn't all the option we have. PES2010 has room for all the teams and five slots for crowd chants per team!

On second viewing of this video I'm a bit concerned about custom chant and music. It says favorite team chant and there is only room for one crowd chant.

I hope this isn't all the option we have. PES2010 has room for all the teams and five slots for crowd chants per team!

I stand corrected it does allow i to edit other teams in other leagues. Now w just hope it's more than one chant.

yes i do man :)

and your team custome chants too!!

PD: First chants i agree :

"Haalaaa Madriiid" and " Fegnando Toooogueees" in anfield road!! its amazing yeah 8)

Last edited:

PES 2010 actually gives you 8 chant slots per team. 5 during the game, one for set-pieces, one for after a goal is scored ( 'Your not singing anymore..' is my personal favourite :LOL:) and one for after the match. This all sounds great, until you realise that Konami stupidly only allow a maximum of 64 total slots in the edit mode. Which means you can probably flesh out the Premier League in all it's glory, but then you have no slots left for any other team. Ridiculous. The only plus side to this is that when you allocate chants to a team, even if you remove them, the game remembers them next time you have the same chants in your 64 edit slots.

In my ML, I allocated chants to all the Coca Cola Championship teams when I was in that division, then when I got promoted, changed the 64 chants to mirror the Premier League Teams. Also, in Europe, I would see how I had in the group stages, then allocate those team chants. It was a bit of a mess on, but it worked. In a perfect world, the chant slots should replicate the space on your HD and not be capped.

The only other problem with having only 64 slots was that if you put chants into all 64slots, you had no space to add your Mp3's for the menu music.

Last edited:
PES 2010 actually gives you 8 chant slots per team. 5 during the game, one for set-pieces, one for after a goal is scored ( 'Your not singing anymore..' is my personal favourite :LOL:) and one for after the match. This all sounds great, until you realise that Konami stupidly only allow a maximum of 64 total slots in the edit mode. Which means you can probably flesh out the Premier League in all it's glory, but then you have no slots left for any other team. Ridiculous. The only plus side to this is that when you allocate chants to a team, even if you remove them, the game remembers them next time you have the same chants in your 64 edit slots.

In my ML, I allocated chants to all the Coca Cola Championship teams when I was in that division, then when I got promoted, changed the 64 chants to mirror the Premier League Teams. Also, in Europe, I would see how I had in the group stages, then allocate those team chants. It was a bit of a mess on, but it worked. In a perfect world, the chant slots should replicate the space on your HD and not be capped.

The only other problem with having only 64 slots was that if you put chants into all 64slots, you had no space to add your Mp3's for the menu music.

How long did it take to do all that? Is it a fairly efficient and straight-forward process in PES?

FIFA links to playlists, not tracks. The playlists can each be as big as you like - the only real limit is your HDD size.

I despise how the commentary interrupts itself all the time. It sounds less convincing than ever.

Short passing looks too quick and accurate too.

Saw a couple of dissapointing elements;

- After 55min a stat shows that passing accuracy for both teams is 100%!!
- Even at the 90th min mark all the players still have atleast 50% of their energybar!!

And looking at the match it was a fairly reasonable set of players but with too much pressure imo and even then of the 3 big improvements made (p+/propassing/fatigue model) 2 have failed to make an impact.....

Passing too accurate, players like Xavi and Iniesta will be again shit in the game because everyone can do what they do (even keepers) and they aren't fast or strong, that seems to be AGAIN the most valuable stats.

Deffensive AI has lights and shades. Some good anticipations, but some good old "standing 3 meters away ok striker" and some good old "one idiot breaking the line for no reason".

All players can easily control any oncoming ball effortlessly.

Strength seems to be still overdone.

Great, just the things I hate the most about the series. I really doubt if I will buy it.

Back
Top Bottom