Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

No, I just find your postings these days to be beyond tedious. You don't like Fifa, you don't play Fifa, yet you feel it necessary to post in the Fifa thread pretty much every day criticising something about the game, by your own admission you enjoy playing PES and don't plan to stop (which is fine and your right) but I don't see why it means we have to put up with your constant trolling of Fifa and sniping at the players of Fifa.
It's not trolling :).

Just because I'm not happy with FIFA, does not mean I'm any less entitled to post here - surely if what you're after is endless positivity, then FSB or the EA forums would be a better place to visit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting nothing but negative opinions is trolling, posting negative opinions specifically aimed at winding up certain individuals who're not quite so adept at holding their tongue is flamebaiting, both of which you regularly partake of in this thread.

Your definition of trolling is obviously different to mine, I'll just agree to disagree on that one.

Okay, a positive opinion - The animations are fluid and the amount of licenses is great. Happy now? :)

Quick question, I bought this last Saturday, is the updated game much different from the vanilla one? I don't have internet on my 360 these days, I can't really update.
As of now, I really like it, but it feels a bit rushed and unpolished. Cutscenes don't load properly some times, gameplay feels a bit "loose", players lose track of the ball, passing is odd at times...

When playing on line i noticed in the arena, the online stats menu i've noticed that router connection is set to " moderate" how to i change it to "open" any of you guys can help?

Does it sometimes have to do with whether your PC is on first? i think if you reboot the router so that the console takes first priority then it can go to open. But to be honest, I've had moderate AND open before and not noticed the difference.

No worries. I hope it worked! Otherwise, there's some posts around telling you about port forwarding and other stuff to help you get the setting to open I think.

The big man's on for city

632A0001_2_THUMB_Tjs.jpg

:LOL: never change EA

Returned to my Ligue 2 career mode today after a few matches on the PES 2012 PC demo, and after a little break from FIFA. Finding it quite pleasant in some ways.

Personally I don't use the pressure buttons (neither primary nor secondary, ever) and defend only with the LT jockey. Defending often becomes about blocking passing lanes and channeling the opponent into less dangerous areas, which is much more enjoyable than the uber-aggressive 'must win ball back now' approach.

The following unspectacular event happened during the second half of a daunting cup tie away at Bordeaux. The Legendary AI is quite potent, especially when you're playing vs a more talented team and trying to keep them at bay for 15 minute halves, so denying forward progress is important.

Here CPU Bordeaux plays three consecutive backwards passes. I'm mostly showing this to back up my point that the CPU doesn't just pile forwards for no reason, rather it moves forwards because the forward option is almost always available. Remove those forward options and they will play more patiently.

YouTube - FIFA11 - Denying Progress.flv

I switch control to my CDM (marked blue) and block the trajectory of his obvious forward option. Had I not done so, the line in red would have been a guaranteed pass:

...so the winger is forced to play backwards to find an open teammate:

I switch to my CM and quickly get tight goal-side of the next opponent, forcing him to turn away to protect the ball, while my fullback picks up the winger. Again he has to go backwards:

With my CM I then make sure I'm blocking the diagonal forward option, and with not enough space to squeeze the ball down the flank either, a third consecutive backwards pass takes Bordeaux almost into their own half:

Just trying to highlight one of the things that can be fun about the game, and really is what defending should be about - retaining team shape and denying passing lanes, rather than focussing on the 1v1 aspect of defending. Obviously, this only emerges when playing a certain way (i.e. not being a pressure whore), but it goes to support the view that the AI's attacking aggressiveness is not entirely a fault of the attacking AI, arguably more so a fault of the defensive AI in that they are rarely sharp enough to deny forward progress by marking tightly and intercepting passing lanes.

Anyway... it was just something I quite liked about the match I was playing. Hopefully with adjustments to pressure in FIFA12, and with some slider tweaking, maybe more of this could be brought to the surface.

You and I approach the defensive side of FIFA 11 similarly and my results have been the same: if you avoid using pretty much all the defensive buttons aside from LT jockey, gameplay is FAR better balanced and defending can be a challenge. It doesn't do anything to help when playing against the CPU's defending, obviously, but it certainly makes a difference for the other half of the game.

Still, I think the issue of the AI moving forward is much more than just the defensive marking. The AI seems to operate with a mindset of "Must get ball into box ASAP" rather than "Must break down defense;" it's as if the CPU is ALWAYS playing with a counter-attacking strategy.

One problem is AI movement is overly focused on forward movement while supporting runs are poor and too infrequent. Another is that the CPU rarely pauses, surveys its options, waits for runs to develop, or turn, jockey, and look backwards.

I still think kick-off is a great example of what's wrong with the CPU's offensive mentality - it always dribbles forward, straight for goal, rather than play the ball square or backwards. This isn't an example of passing, but nonetheless it's an example of the CPU having absolutely zero chance of success by going it alone straight toward goal and yet it does so anyway.

Yes the CPU will choose a safe option behind it when nothing else is viable, sometimes, but the AI has a massive issue overall when it comes to decision making, aggressiveness and variety in strategy.

Last edited:
I like that, but I'd still like to see things slowed down, A TON. The ball is ALWAYS moving, you never see the CPU, or any human for that matter just trot with the ball and try to pick someone out. It's move move move.

Should say, I've been trying to play like this (defending) recently, started a CM as Lazio, second year now, bought some known and some unknown young players (Try to stay from established names or tons of players outside my league) and it's been amazing. I'm slowing down play on offense also and have scored some really great team goals. My best signing has been Groskreutz, got him in January the previous season and he scored 11 in 17 games with a few assists. He's not particularly fast or good with the ball but he finds space and seems to win a lot of 50/50 balls.

Last edited:
I like that, but I'd still like to see things slowed down, A TON. The ball is ALWAYS moving, you never see the CPU, or any human for that matter just trot with the ball and try to pick someone out. It's move move move.
Yeah, that's true. I caught a tiny bit of the Granada-Betis match last night and I thought of this at one point, when the Betis winger stopped on the ball. The defender faced him up but didn't commit, and a Granada teammate got back into a good position to support and waited... and just for a few moments there was a stand-off over a stationary ball while the Betis winger waited for either the defender to commit so he could beat him, or for a teammate to make a run. You never see these changes in pace that happen so regularly in real football, it's all one pace. Perhaps that's partly due to balancing the game (urgency) for 5 minute halves. Variety, like mfmaxpower said.

My best signing has been Groskreutz, got him in January the previous season and he scored 11 in 17 games with a few assists. He's not particularly fast or good with the ball but he finds space and seems to win a lot of 50/50 balls.
I have a CM at ESTAC Troyes called Mounir Obbadi, he's been clearly my best player, energetic, elusive, likes to get on the ball. I've been trying to figure out how best to give him freedom in midfield to go and make the team tick, without saddling him with too much defensive responsibility. He got injured in the Bordeaux defeat, which didn't help my cause.

Back
Top Bottom