Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Boring non-FIFA-related discussion/picky-ness spoilered:

I've found none of that to be true beyond reasonable levels, over several months of playing the game. Maybe the straight lines if you include diagonal runs, but a dangerous diagonal run into space is far more useful than a curved run that is tracked 1:1 by a defender who is clinically 4 yards away. Milner has been a great right back for me, cutting inside to get in on goal pith action, Adriano Correia is a great runner who loves to get chalk on his boots, while Pedro Munitis does a terrific job as a floating forward, making runs from deep or dragging the opposition DM out of position with his movement. I remember when Erdinç was injured for me and I had to play both Jovetic and Munitis as second strikers with no targetman. I was surprised at how well it worked, with both players taking turns to drop deep and my wingmen bombing on into space.

PES does have certain issues with movement but as a whole it is so far ahead in terms of representing formations, player runs and the tactical side of football as a whole, that it just isn't funny. If FIFA could get itself up to PeS 2011's level by FIFA 14 I'll be astounded.
It's not what I see [Insert non-existent shrug smiley here].

The 'straight lines' I refer to is the hunched-down, sprint in a line towards the centre of the goal. Just about any clip in the PES Video Thread exhibits it. A 'forward run' trigger is sent to an off-the-ball teammate, and he points himself at the goal and lemmings towards it until he's offside. I rarely get the impression that they are identifying and seeking space, rather running on a rail towards the centre-point coordinates of the goal net.

It seems that's perhaps why a highlight so commonly ends with all the players that are on-screen, minus the attacking team's two fullbacks, within the width of the penalty area - because these runs funnel them to a triangle pointing goalwards.

Some amount is animation related, I'm sure. I think it's suprising how much difference it would make if the runner would just angle his upper body and head very obviously to the ball while he's running, so he looks like he's paying attention and isn't on a treadmill. It might not look so robotic and 'uncanny valley' in that case. To my eyes, PES seems to suffer generally from waxwork mannequins who don't graphically exhibit awareness of things around them, which doesn't exactly help the AI.

Milner at right-back!? First Mancini won't play him in his best position, now you :PP

Last edited:
Just a little venting, but what is it with everyone online running to the center of the goal? Lately I've been playing as either a CAM/CM and trying to actually 'play' but everyone just runs straight. People that should be on the wing (or at least near) run to the center or cut diagonally in front of me to force a pass. There's never ANY space because the 3 (+ the other 6 teammates) ahead of me all crowd and run in the same direction, like a school of fish.

I've been playing very well lately, trying to play a position and not just Attacking* and having fun, but occasionally this just makes me want to stop.

out of curiosity, how much HDD space does FIFA11 take up as a preload on the 360?
thanks.

I installed FIFA11 on my 360 and it used around 6-7 gig. Worth it though, makes games load much faster but also saves your xbox's laser from wear and tear.

Just a small note, I have wiped the updates so the game is out of the box and to me it plays a better game, less claustrophobic and restrictive.

May just be me though :PIRATE:, shame the cups and league are foiked without the last one so I must update before the draw for next season and if I remember before each cup game...:P

I've found none of that to be true beyond reasonable levels, over several months of playing the game. Maybe the straight lines if you include diagonal runs, but a dangerous diagonal run into space is far more useful than a curved run that is tracked 1:1 by a defender who is clinically 4 yards away. Milner has been a great right back for me, cutting inside to get in on goal pith action, Adriano Correia is a great runner who loves to get chalk on his boots, while Pedro Munitis does a terrific job as a floating forward, making runs from deep or dragging the opposition DM out of position with his movement. I remember when Erdinç was injured for me and I had to play both Jovetic and Munitis as second strikers with no targetman. I was surprised at how well it worked, with both players taking turns to drop deep and my wingmen bombing on into space.

PES does have certain issues with movement but as a whole it is so far ahead in terms of representing formations, player runs and the tactical side of football as a whole, that it just isn't funny. If FIFA could get itself up to PeS 2011's level by FIFA 14 I'll be astounded.

I think the defensive movement is as much a part of this problem as the attacking movement. It's rare to actually get a good opportunity to make a throughball in FIFA which is anything but a foot race - the main reason being that the defenders invariably are 'tied' to the movement of an attacker or doing nothing of any use. Every move towards every throughball becomes a straight sprint - the defender and the attacker will be basically as near it to begin with, and it's all down to pace from there. In real life, and in PES, you get a lot more cases of the defender trying to block off a pass, or cover it.

I think FIFA's momentum problems, and the massive reaction speeds and the instantaneous understanding of where to go to intercept are a key issue behind the restricted runs as much as the runs themselves. The diagram below shows something I came up against so many times yesterday. I was playing 2v2s, and this does allow you to make a run in behind the defence as shown by the short green line. FIFA never would do this with the AI anyway, but with a human you can manage it. At this moment, the defensive AI's response would be to move up and to play him offside: but I would manage to get the pass away in time, similar to the lengthy green line. Even though the defender was still moving in the wrong direction he, as soon as the pass is played, completely changes direction and immediately accelerates to match my teammate.

examplegv.png

In FIFA, every single throughball or lobbed throughball is just this. The defender rarely tries to intercept it, and usually it turns into a straight race to control the ball, as opposed to the defender just trying to stop it briefly. Due to the acceleration, reactions, lack of inertia and so on, it makes an incisive ball through very hard. On the other hand, it makes a straight, really obvious and really dumb throughball really bloody easy.

It's so gutting and so annoying to see the same lofted throughballs everytime: You know it's going to work and they know it's going to work. You can't manage your defence well enough to get them offside and you can't get your player to intercept it with a header easily enough to actually stop it, it will, without fail drop a ball onto their strikers foot.

And this is the problem with me for FIFA 12. There are big problems which they may or not solve. Then there are the enormously numerous smaller problems which are, together, equally ruinous. They can redesign almost the entire game, but if they fail to deal with the momentum problems: WHO CARES!

Last edited:
I agree that they have bothed it up, however I also think that if they would tone down the AI reactions too much we would end up with 1-on-1's the whole time. 07 had this problem. It's definitely a balancing issue, aswell as the pass speed vs running speed.

Will be interesting to see if they can adress it, although I think all they will be doing is going on about the new tech and how it's the bestest FIFA EVER, all the while ignoring the very basic flaws.

I agree that they have bothed it up, however I also think that if they would tone down the AI reactions too much we would end up with 1-on-1's the whole time. 07 had this problem. It's definitely a balancing issue, aswell as the pass speed vs running speed.

Will be interesting to see if they can adress it, although I think all they will be doing is going on about the new tech and how it's the bestest FIFA EVER, all the while ignoring the very basic flaws.

I agree but EA has gone far too far and too long just using ESP, stat ignoring and the whole "though shallt not"
approach...

I'll challenge you.

No I haven't.

That's £20 thanks, paypal is fine.
:P

It's a difficult one no doubt. The throughballs/lofted throughballs are already somewhat OP as it is, and that's with all the little things tuned to nerf the hell out of them. The defensive AI is so poor that it cannot deal with it, the passing accuracy so high that a lofted throughball is invariably inch perfect.

PES has a similar problem with the running speed penalty, but it does do a better job. With PES it's just not that easy to put a ball through the defence. If it's too long the goalie gets it, if it's off target the attacker won't instantly react for it, and the defensive AI isn't so shoddy that it won't try to intercept it. In FIFA it is pretty much always a one v one between the defender and striker for the ball, the attacker v the defender. In no way should it be possible for the attacking team to always, consistently put the game into 50-50 situation which will lead to an almost certain goal. Similar problems with the crossing due to the way the crossing works (which is like an elastic band to the attackers head) and the one-v-one nature of the heading.

Last edited:
Yuck. Just switched the console off while drawing 2-2 with Blackburn. One goal conceded when my player did something without me pressing a button, and the other conceded when I pressed a button and my player did nothing.

My last defender, who I was jockeying with to stay goal-side, decided on his own to commit to an auto-tackle and was promptly danced around for the first equaliser. Then the second equaliser arrived when the same defender chose to ignore my press of the Clearance button to instead watch the attacker happily volley home. Good work! You're dropped!

Fancy new impact engines are all well and good, but these are the things that spoil the fun.

A good example of why the auto-tackle feature sucks and needed to go. The cynic in me did not see EA making that decision, so good on them for that. There's nothing worse than being penalized for something beyond your control (although having the CPU do the tackling for you is a close second!).

I also agree about clearances - they are finicky to say the least. I guess you could say it's a timing issue but I think we've played enough FIFA that a simple action like a clearance shouldn't be a problem. I don't mind if they fail at the clearance - just make an attempt!

I think that goes for most things, headers,shots,tackles. Your player should bust a gut to try to get to things, it's so annoying when you hammer the button only to see your player ignore a ball foot away from him... :P

i wish i could enjoy either of the current games, i had to revert back to last-gen installments to find my peace with football games. current gen is too much about show and shine, not about the beautiful game.

:TTTH:

I see where you're coming from but as a predominantly online player. I go with the flow year by year even if it fails to live up to my early expectations like the 10/11 season has. I've still managed to rack up a scary amount of games played. :JAY:

I see where you're coming from but as a predominantly online player. I go with the flow year by year even if it fails to live up to my early expectations like the 10/11 season has. I've still managed to rack up a scary amount of games played. :JAY:

i totally get that if you're into the online business, not much too do about playing the "good" games :D

let's just hope the ´12 versions will live up to our expectations.

Back
Top Bottom