FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

Same I watched the replays for the couple that were given and I have to give credit to the ref :P lol, it was a penalty with the defenders hands raised all the way up!

So although it's still early days and needs more testing, I have to say so far I think it has been tweaked from FIFA11 and so am gonna have it fully on until I notice it shouldn't be.

Same I watched the replays for the couple that were given and I have to give credit to the ref :P lol, it was a penalty with the defenders hands raised all the way up!

So although it's still early days and needs more testing, I have to say so far I think it has been tweaked from FIFA11 and so am gonna have it fully on until I notice it shouldn't be.

Hand balls seems to be fixed this year. There are no glaring problems like with last years logic towards this. Use it on with confidence.

I've turned mine on and waiting to see how they play out.

Now I've been playing with all the default sliders for now just to see how it is before I start tweaking. I noticed some people put the keepers down to 40 but on the default (which I assume is 50) the keepers have let in a couple of shots that kind of went through their hands. Not that much power on them either. I'm playing on Normal game speed and Professional.

Not sure I'd want them any worse lol. Might even bump them a fraction unless they become superhuman again.

I've turned mine on and waiting to see how they play out.

Now I've been playing with all the default sliders for now just to see how it is before I start tweaking. I noticed some people put the keepers down to 40 but on the default (which I assume is 50) the keepers have let in a couple of shots that kind of went through their hands. Not that much power on them either. I'm playing on Normal game speed and Professional.

Not sure I'd want them any worse lol. Might even bump them a fraction unless they become superhuman again.

Keepers seem alot less superhuman this year, which is a good thing.. Had one shot yesterday that wasnt to far away from the keeper but because the defender was blocking his view, he dived late and bang, back of the net.. Stuff like that wouldnt happen on any other Fifa!

Had one shot yesterday that wasnt to far away from the keeper but because the defender was blocking his view, he dived late and bang, back of the net.. Stuff like that wouldnt happen on any other Fifa!

Yupp, sounds a bit like the one I've scored yesterday when the ball went through one defender's legs and thus hampering the goalie's view. (which also unlocked a 30 points achievement, yay ;) )

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/95402022

Last edited:
Quite pleasantly surprised just how powerful these sliders can be. As small an increase as +5 on something like Shot Speed makes a big difference.

'Positioning: Line Length' is an interesting one to experiment with. Dropping it down to around 35ish can really close down the gap between the defence and the midfield, which has tended to be too wide in the past, and makes for a much tighter game in which the deeper attackers are being picked up/screened by central midfielders. Impacts on marking assignments. Also makes the defence play a bit higher. There's a sweet spot to be found somewhere.

The 'Marking' slider so far seems better on higher values I think, makes it a little trickier to get the ball into strikers.

I'm wary of pushing the 'Run Frequency' slider too high because it can potentially lead to midfields being evacuated, and then the game might become too open/end-to-end.

I thought I'd want to reduce the Acceleration speed, but go any lower than 45 and it becomes really sluggish. It's better close to or on 50 I think. That's on Slow game speed, anyway.

^ Agree with shot speed slider. I was experimenting earlier and you can really smash the ball at incredible speeds just by tweaking that one. I've got it on 60 now and a few other adjustments all round and really enjoying the game.

USER
Sprint 55
Acceleration 55
Pass Speed 60
Injury Frequency 55
Positioning: Run Frequency 70
Power Bar 60

CPU
Sprint 55
Acceleration 55
Shot Error 55
Pass Error 63
Pass speed 55
Injury Frequency 55
Injury Severity 54
Positioning: Run Frequency 70
Positioning: Line Width 55
Positioning: Fullback Positioning 55

Yeah I'm noticing a massive influence from the sliders, I love it. It's hard to balance the game though, lowering acceleration for example can make sprint speed and the knock on skill using the right stick far too overpowered, but a little tinkering can make this the best version of FIFA yet.

I initially started with lowering acceleration to 45, which does wonders for the annoying lightning speeds at which players turn. Makes it massively more realistic. The AI still behaves the same way, and in my first game with it I still conceded three goals, but it looks and feels better. Like I said, I scored a goal with Young where he was far too fast in comparison to the other players who were slower at accelerating, but maybe lowering the player speed slider down to 45 too will counter balance this. Currently, lowering acceleration allows you to be too superior in pace when using the knock on move with the right stick, as it seems to boost your acceleration separate to the effects of the sliders.

I also set pass error to 60, and I love it. Brings out so much more individuality, it will make playmakers stand out far more. I noticed Ferdinand and Vidic in particular hitting misdirected, awkward looking passes out of touch a couple of times, whereas Anderson in the middle was running the show with much more noticeable accuracy. I think the pass error affects the flight of the ball a lot more which in turn directly affects accuracy. So a playmaker's pass will have less bobble, and get to its target smoother and more efficiently than a defender for example. Seems to really bring out the stats in player passing.

I also upped the player run frequency to 60 (all stats altered for both teams to balance things) and Wigan more or less beat me on the counter, but had enough players in support to get three goals. One was even a drive from the edge of the box!

Loving this so far.

Last edited:
The shooting at 60 is explosive. :P Tons of fun with graphics to match. Occasional problems with the Impact Engine but overall the sliders are a welcome addition. Precision Dribbling is great in close quarters trying to make space.1 on 1 will be exceptional.

Last edited:
I also set pass error to 60, and I love it. Brings out so much more individuality, it will make playmakers stand out far more.
Have mine at 60 at the moment too. I played a League One contest between Colchester and Hartlepool and there were errant passes all over the shop, as you'd expect in a rain-soaked League One fixture.

As posted in discussion, contain button effects the way the cpu attacks. It seems to trigger something within the a.i makes them try to walk the ball in.

Yup, as I mentioned in the other thread I only use it to stop early whipped in crosses, other than that I leave it well alone.

As nerf says, the passing error is really effective. I tried Newcastle v Swansea, a little lower in rankings than the top teams I'd initially tried, and yeah, the worse the teams are the more the passes go astray, which is as you'd expect. These sliders have really made the game.

I'm currently using;

Player acceleration - 45
Player speed - 45
Passing error - 63
Player runs frequency - 60
Injury frequency - 60
Injury severity - 60

I think there's something in the player run frequency too which has made the AI more attack minded. They seem very willing to shoot from around the edge of the box. Not really any further out than that, but I'm getting plastered by the game at the moment.

I tried pushing shot speed to 55 and it was too fast I think. Just saw that the keepers couldn't deal with the shots. Tried 53, 51 and they all seemed quite a bit quicker than default of 50.

Haven't played around with pass error yet but I'll give it a try.

I've been putting the sliders to extreme values to get a clear idea of their effect. Tried shooting speed at 100 and then layed off a ball for a guy to crack on the run from 20 yards. It smacked the post so hard that it ended up gong all the way back down the pitch for my own keeper to collect.

But I'm finding combinations of some more subtle sliders settings along with setting some extreme custom tactics does finally get the cpu to played more realistically, including some long ball, rather than every team playing patient ground-passing.

Seems to work best on fixed/be-a-pro mode as the cpu behaves differently (more realistically and with greater variety) when playing against your AI team mates than when you control all your players.

These are the ones I'm using at the moment. Still a work in progress really.

(User/CPU)
Sprint Speed - 49/49
Acceleration - 49/49
Shot Error - 50/50
Pass Error - 55/60
Shot Speed - 50/50
Pass Speed - 65/65
Injury Frequency - 70/70
Injury Severity - 60/60
Goalkeeper Ability - 47/47
Pos: Marking - 95/95
Run Frequency - 60/60
Line Height - 49/49
Line Length - 38/38
Line Width - 42/42
Fullback Positioning - 52/52
Power Bar - 63

(Edit: Added settings: Manual controls, Slow gamespeed, Legendary difficulty.)

The most extreme changes are Marking and Line Length. I'm finding that you can encourage a tighter game by reducing the space between the lines and also the space between players.

The higher Marking makes it slightly more difficult to play the ball into strikers, and you can also press a bit better in midfield I think. The lower Line Length obviously makes teams more compact, so ball movement does not flow as constantly/easily - you have to think a bit more about attempting that forward pass. It's interesting the difference it can make to the defensive responsibilities of central midfielders and attackers.

Last edited:
What settings do you use Nerf? Manual/semi/assisted? What difficulty? Looking forward testing these.
Manual everything. Since FIFA09 I've been playing on Legendary, but I'm starting to think that I need to drop down to World Class for the time being. At least until I can become better at defending.

I tried pushing shot speed to 55 and it was too fast I think. Just saw that the keepers couldn't deal with the shots. Tried 53, 51 and they all seemed quite a bit quicker than default of 50.
Agree with this, actually. I quite liked the harder shots at first, but when even Heskey is smashing shots with his left, I think even 51 is too much. 50 might be better.

Is this a bug?

When you run with a winger (usually) the cpu players seem to stop dead and let you run past then when your ahead they will attempt to catch you up?

Anyone know what thats about?

What difficulty are you on? Could be down to that...

@ Nerf, the controller settings also make a huge difference to what slider settings you need. For example (as an assisted/semi player) even putting passing speed on 55 felt way too fast to me. But for manual your 65 is probably similar to assisted 50.

I'll probably be spending most of next week first doing the CT's to get some character in the teams and then moving on to sliders.And maybe the week after I'll be playing some proper matches. :D

Is this a bug?

When you run with a winger (usually) the cpu players seem to stop dead and let you run past then when your ahead they will attempt to catch you up?

Anyone know what thats about?

There does seem to be an issue at times with CPU defenders letting you dribble down the pitch unchallenged. I posted this in the GC forum so hopefully EA are aware but who knows.

When i adjust the defense line it doesnt seem to make a difference. My defense line still plays high.

I put the slider to 0 to test and it did not change a thing. When i am in posession and in the opponents half my 2 centerbacks are on the halfway line. and get caught by the AI counter.

Last edited:
Have mine at 60 at the moment too. I played a League One contest between Colchester and Hartlepool and there were errant passes all over the shop, as you'd expect in a rain-soaked League One fixture.

Pass error at 60 is key.

Back
Top Bottom