FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

The games were quite good. Felt a bit more dynamic. But then again, I went from Professional to Legendary so I'm not sure if it's your slider's or just a Placebo effect :P (insert drum roll).

I eventually turned down the passing speed as it was a little too fast for me. I turned it down for both CPU and AI. Had some nice passing errors occur. I actually scored a goal because the defensive mid passed it back to his centre back on the halfway line but it went a bit astray and to my player. Ran down and scored on the counter.

Also changed the passing and shooting to semi as I found this allowed me to play the ball where I wanted but also allowed for enough error so it wasn't purely me keeping the ball. You can still get some nice movement on the ball with shooting on semi. Have a look at this goal for an example ;)

http://www.ea.com/soccer/videos/ugc/119194712

I played PES on PS2 and xbox1 for years and loved it to death, especially PES 5. And at that time when it came out it truly was an attempt at simulation compared to what EA was doing with Fifa.

But when you play PES 5 today you will see it's hardly a simulation at all, the current games of PES 2012 and Fifa 12 are much more of a simulation of football.

Nonetheless PES 5 has a certain magic, that neither of the current games could recapture and last night I threw in PES 5 for xbox1 into my xbox360 to find out what exactly made PES 5 so magical. I played it straight for three hours on top-player and it was a hell of a fun. Imho these are the things that worked together to create the magic:

1. The game is fast, passing is fast, the players are fast. To be exact the players have very good acceleration that makes me always feel in control of the player and reactive. It also makes you feel the power and skill of the player under control.

2. The pressure is intense. The opponents are always nearby and because of the acceleration/reactiveness it's a tight game, you have to pass the ball around to a player who is free to get that extra-time to plan the next move or you have to dribble very good to gain that space.

3. The ball is free and needs to be controlled. Hitting a hard pass to another player who runs to the ball from the opposite direction leads to a bouncing of the ball away from the receiving player and the opponent gets the time to jump between the ball and the player.

4. The wide-camera shows only part of the pitch, less than half of the pitch, and pans up and down and right to left when necessary. As unimportant as this may seem, this adds to the feeling.

5. The game is on rails and helps along to get the ball to the right player at the right time. For example I was on the right side of the pitch at the beginning of the last third of the pitch and another player of mine stood with one defender observing him near the goal-area. I thought wouldn't a nice cross to him be a good opportunity. The game thought obviously the same, cause the moment I pressed the cross-button, the game did everything to help create that nice goal:
I just pressed the button and never expected the ball to arrive well enough cause I was under pressure, but the assisting came into full effect creating the perfect trajectory. And what the other player in my team did to help along is even more incredible, all that while the ball was in the air! He went out of his way to the one defender who observed him and pushed him so that he would get into a stumble-animation, granting him the space and time to concentrate on the ball in the air, he jumped perfectly and headed it perfectly into the net. All I did was to press the shoot-button when the ball was near his head. The referee saw of course nothing of the pushing away.:))

6. There is a nice balance between attack and defense, nothing is overpowered and I guess that is the result of the players being reactive.

7. Individuality of the players shines.

Verdict: PES 5 is a brilliant game but by today's standards not a simulation, it's an arcade-simulation-hybrid that sums up the drama and action of 90-minutes football in a condensed time of 20 minutes. In that it succeeds more than PES 2012 and Fifa 12. Because of the speed and acceleration there is a lot more going on in a single match, and combined with the free ball, there is more unpredictability and the reactiveness of the players lets you feel their power and individuality.

And yet the current games offer new aspects, like manual passing, shooting... and less scripting/assisting, and thanks to 360-degree-movement more freedom on the pitch.

Wouldn't it be great to somehow mix these two worlds to create the ultimate experience?

Thanks to Fifa 12's sliders this is possible and I spent two additional hours last night to get Fifa 12 to feel and look and play like PES 5 but with the modern improvements of 16:9-HD-picture and 360-movement and manual passing/shooting.

I used placebos-slider-settings as a base (thanks placebo by the way):

---------------
Controller Settings
---------------
All Manual controls
Analogue sprint
Tactical defending
---------------
Game Settings
---------------
20 Minute halves
Legendary
Slow
---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 30/30
Acceleration - 85/85
Shot Error - 62/65
Pass Error - 60/65
Shot Speed – 51/51
Pass Speed - 80/85
Injury Frequency - 98/99
Injury Severity - 50/60
Goalkeeper Ability - 65/60
Positioning:Marking - 100/100
Positioning:Run Frequency - 70/70
Positioning: Line Height - 60/60
Positioning: Line Length - 48/50
Positioning: Line Width - 45/45
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 70/70
Power Bar - 58

The other important aspect is to get the camera to resemble the widecam of PES 5:

Broadcast (Tele)
Individual
Height 18
Zoom 18

The third important aspect is to change the custom-tactics so that the players are more free in their positioning and are more agressive in defence and be more compact so that they can help each other out and to play offside-traps.

This is just a start, I bet with more time and your contributions these can be improved further to be even more like PES 5.

Unfortunately one thing can't be remedied: The missing momentum-model in Fifa 12.

Have fun with it. :BRMM:

Edit: Update: Putting sprint speed on 45 and pass speed on 70, line-height on 50 and run frequency on 90. Bear with me, it's still a work in progress ;).

Last edited:
Apologies if this is an over asked / idiot question, but is it possible to save different sets of sliders so I can switch between them quickly and easily?

Or that would require having separate FIFA profiles?

I just read on operationssports-forum:

The CPU plays a very decent and varied-attack game when:

1. Tactics are radically altered, such as lowering Buildup Speed to 1 for some teams. Raising the Shooting tactic is also necessary.

2. Players' ratings are edited, specifically their Dribbling and Long Shot ratings. The Dribbling rating for example does not determine dribbling prowess; it determines whether a player will run with the ball or pass it off. The reason CPU ball carriers run up the wings and into the box all the time and never shoot, is because their Dribbling ratings are too high and their and Long Shot ratings are too low.

CPU AI decision-making is entirely salvagable, it just takes a boatload of editing work.

So one can change the CPU-AI's behaviour in order to play more realistic and varied, it just takes a lot of work in the custom-tactics-menu.:OOOH:

Gotta say - after using Placebos slider settings, Career Mode has been given a new life for me. They really are very, very good and I'm finding the AI playing much more like a human player would.

So cheers Placebo!

Gotta say - after using Placebos slider settings, Career Mode has been given a new life for me. They really are very, very good and I'm finding the AI playing much more like a human player would.

So cheers Placebo!

Indeed,the man deserves a statue! I've tweaked his sliders a bit to suit my own preferences.

Slower acceleration 47 and sprint speed 44, less pass power 75 but more pass error 59 and tightened up the pitch so less space is available.

If FIFA13 doesn't have sliders, I won't buy it but will continue playing FIFA12 for another year. Sliders: THE biggest new feature in football games.

Stopped using the sliders. Must play the "online" default(urgggghhhh) settings. Must "practice" for Euro online. Played 10 or so H2H games, but euro realistic format online will keep me properly hooked...

Stopped using the sliders. Must play the "online" default(urgggghhhh) settings. Must "practice" for Euro online. Played 10 or so H2H games, but euro realistic format online will keep me properly hooked...

Online the sliders dont matter as much the game can still be fun as you dont have cpu ai.

However the problems IMO are lack of pass speed, shot speed and player run frequency which are a bit crappy on default.

Was experimenting last night and I found that 53 shot error is the point at which the ball really starts to swerve around noticeably. Only problem is that players can miss shots from 6 yards out unrealistically. i.e. instead of hitting the ball just wide or scuffing the shot, it goes 5 to 10 metres wide lol.

p.s. does a power bar above 50 make the bar fill up quicker or does it mean it takes longer to fill up?

Nice to see the sliders are coming along nicely for FIFA 12. No doubt EA will incorporate sliders into the next FIFA series as it is now a must in sports titles.

If you guys are quite skilled on the sticks with FIFA you can try my set out. You will get punished with lackluster concentration. I had them up from the release of the game and since, have now updated and tweaked them slightly since the winter transfer squad update. The set also works wonders for default team tactics and the CPU attacks and shooting chances are brilliant.

Leave any thoughts or suggestions. Here is the link on OS for all the info on my set.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...anager-mode-legendary-all-manual-sliders.html

--------------
MATCH
---------------
Half Length: 10/15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Legendary
Game Speed: Slow/Normal

If anyone wants a change up for a nice camera view I use Height 0 and Zoom 20. Really shows off FIFA 12's graphics.

---------------
PLAYSTATION/XBOX CONTROLLER
---------------
Auto Switching: Manual
Auto Switching Move Assistance: None
Passing Power Assistance: Off
Pass Assistance: Manual
Through Passing Assistance: Manual
Shot Assistance: Manual
Cross Assistance: Manual
Lob Pass Assistance: Manual
Save Assistance: Manual
Analog Sprint: On
Defending - Tactical Defending

---------------
User/ CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 50/ 50
Acceleration - 50/ 50
Shot Error - 30/ 53 (52)
Pass Error - 39/ 67
Shot Speed - 50/ 50
Pass Speed - 53/ 53
Injury Frequency - 77/ 77
Injury Severity - 52/ 52
Goalkeeper Ability - 46/ 46
Positioning:Marking - 89/ 67
Positioning:Run Frequency - 51/ 61
Positioning: Line Height- 46/ 46
Positioning: Line Length - 49/49
Positioning: Line Width - 47/47
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 53/ 53
Power Bar - 65/- [User personal preference]

I play games with a 15 min half length and on normal speed.

@Placebo,

Nice set bud, I see my set layout seems to have made it as skeleton slider template for FIFA 12 ;)

Last edited:
MATCH
---------------
Half Length: 4/6 minutes
Difficulty Level: Legendary
Game Speed: fast

these settings create gameplay similar to fifa 11 I a game I loved millions and still prefer over fifa 12, fifa 12 is good on these settings though

---------------
PLAYSTATION/XBOX CONTROLLER
---------------
Auto Switching: Manual
Auto Switching Move Assistance: None
Passing Power Assistance: Off
Pass Assistance: Manual
Through Passing Assistance: Manual
Shot Assistance: Manual
Cross Assistance: Manual
Lob Pass Assistance: Manual
Save Assistance: Auto
Analog Sprint: On
Defending - Tactical or Legacy Defending

---------------
User/ CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 80/80
Acceleration - 50/50
Shot Error - 55/55
Pass Error - 62/62
Shot Speed - 51/51
Pass Speed - 63/63
Injury Frequency - 75/75 a bit high this
Injury Severity - 55/55 ?
Goalkeeper Ability - 45/45
Positioning:Run Frequency - 100/100
Positioning: Line Height- 49/49
Positioning: Line Length - 33/33
Positioning: Line Width - 33/33
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 6/6
Power Bar - 50/- [User personal preference]

I think my settings shown above are pretty good and make it a match more like the real thing but of course I’m a veteran player and I know these settings will be too fast for people who are new to fifa and so I’ll explain why I picked these value.
The sprint speed is high and the acceleration is lower for 2 main reasons. Firstly to enable defenders including the computer to win the ball by simply using the momentum they have from their speed to force the attacker of the ball. The acceleration is low to provide more opportunities for this to take place, it forces the attacker to commit to his move just like in the real game because if he changes direction he will likely lose speed and become vulnerable to being forced off the ball because it will take him a little bit of time to get back to full speed and so the computer or your human opponent will close you down rapidly and so you need to think of a move to buy yourself time on the ball. With the positioning line length and width being at 33 (which is similar to fifa 11 and possibly reality) this ensures that even computer defenders will easily dispossess an attacker unless the attacker uses skill to avoid the attentions of a number of defenders in close proximity who may be charging at him with the speed of a train.
By the way 80 was chosen as the sprint speed because a speed any higher makes the animations look unnatural,if you reduce the speed I’m not sure how much the acceleration would have to be reduced to achieve the same effect?
The line height was chosen at 49 because this means that defenders will only push as far forward as just before the half way line, choosing a number higher than this is not a good idea because attackers cannot be offside inside their own half.
Full back positioning was chosen at 6 because I think most teams like discipline from their defenders and don’t want them charging forward too far and making it easy for attackers.
The shot error was chosen as 55 as this kind of replicated the gameplay in fifa 11 on manual controls and to compensate I reduced the goalkeeping ability down to 45, these values will be around about these numbers to replicate fifa 11.
The pass error was chosen to be the highest error before the animations looked stupid, the value chosen which was 62 also enables you to have more opportunities to win the ball back on legendary difficulty level, if you play at different skill levels then you may need to reduce the error to make the computer more challenging. The pass speed was chosen to be 63 because when you increase the pass error it slows down the pass and so at 63 value the passing speed was similar to the speed when both the error and the speed were at 50.
The shot speed was chosen to be 51 because any higher value including 52 is just silly in my opinion.
The position marking was chosen to be 100 because their is far too much space in fifa 12 and so tight marking is a must to make the game better and the run frequency was made 100 to make the gameplay as offensive as possible. However if you just play the game without changing the offensive level of your team and don’t use the d pad to push your players forward the game will be bogged down in midfield just like in reality and so increasing player runs this high doesn’t create an unnatural effect, but it does make the game more exciting when you use the d pad to make your players more attack minded.
Injury frequency and severity wasn’t chosen for any reason it was just guessing but its wrong, too many injuries occur in versus matches but against cpu its not too bad.

I think my settings shown above are pretty good and make it a match more like the real thing but of course I’m a veteran player and I know these settings will be too fast for people who are new to fifa and so I’ll explain why I picked these value.
The sprint speed is high and the acceleration is lower for 2 main reasons. Firstly to enable defenders including the computer to win the ball by simply using the momentum they have from their speed to force the attacker of the ball. The acceleration is low to provide more opportunities for this to take place, it forces the attacker to commit to his move just like in the real game because if he changes direction he will likely lose speed and become vulnerable to being forced off the ball because it will take him a little bit of time to get back to full speed and so the computer or your human opponent will close you down rapidly and so you need to think of a move to buy yourself time on the ball. With the positioning line length and width being at 33 (which is similar to fifa 11 and possibly reality) this ensures that even computer defenders will easily dispossess an attacker unless the attacker uses skill to avoid the attentions of a number of defenders in close proximity who may be charging at him with the speed of a train.
By the way 80 was chosen as the sprint speed because a speed any higher makes the animations look unnatural,if you reduce the speed I’m not sure how much the acceleration would have to be reduced to achieve the same effect?
The line height was chosen at 49 because this means that defenders will only push as far forward as just before the half way line, choosing a number higher than this is not a good idea because attackers cannot be offside inside their own half.
Full back positioning was chosen at 6 because I think most teams like discipline from their defenders and don’t want them charging forward too far and making it easy for attackers.
The shot error was chosen as 55 as this kind of replicated the gameplay in fifa 11 on manual controls and to compensate I reduced the goalkeeping ability down to 45, these values will be around about these numbers to replicate fifa 11.
The pass error was chosen to be the highest error before the animations looked stupid, the value chosen which was 62 also enables you to have more opportunities to win the ball back on legendary difficulty level, if you play at different skill levels then you may need to reduce the error to make the computer more challenging. The pass speed was chosen to be 63 because when you increase the pass error it slows down the pass and so at 63 value the passing speed was similar to the speed when both the error and the speed were at 50.
The shot speed was chosen to be 51 because any higher value including 52 is just silly in my opinion.
The position marking was chosen to be 100 because their is far too much space in fifa 12 and so tight marking is a must to make the game better and the run frequency was made 100 to make the gameplay as offensive as possible. However if you just play the game without changing the offensive level of your team and don’t use the d pad to push your players forward the game will be bogged down in midfield just like in reality and so increasing player runs this high doesn’t create an unnatural effect, but it does make the game more exciting when you use the d pad to make your players more attack minded.
Injury frequency and severity wasn’t chosen for any reason it was just guessing but its wrong, too many injuries occur in versus matches but against cpu its not too bad.

Thanks for the explanations.

Im not sure what this will be like on fast and speed 80. Surely OTT unnatural arcade pace to the game?

I will defo try out your sliders as the theory makes sense on paper/browser (lol) at least. I will try them out. Im just a bit iffy about your 33 line lenght and width?

As for full back positioning even at 50 they dont make much runs so why put to 6. IMO full backs make runs not just based on this slider but also the individual full backs mentality stats as in high attack or defense. And the custom tacitcs where u can edit attack mindeness of individual players.

Thanks for the explanations.

Im not sure what this will be like on fast and speed 80. Surely OTT unnatural arcade pace to the game?

I will defo try out your sliders as the theory makes sense on paper/browser (lol) at least. I will try them out. Im just a bit iffy about your 33 line lenght and width?

As for full back positioning even at 50 they dont make much runs so why put to 6. IMO full backs make runs not just based on this slider but also the individual full backs mentality stats as in high attack or defense. And the custom tacitcs where u can edit attack mindeness of individual players.

I checked out what you were saying about the full backs and you are right, having them hold back is not what you would see with a typical top end of the league team but when I put them at 40 or 50 the balance of power shifts in the favour of the attackers again, well I think if its harder to get into good offensive positions then it gives you a better sense of satisfaction or excitment when you manage to break the other team down, and it makes you use the skill moves which is the best part of fifa 12 but if its too easy to use them its boring. I think the shooting error was too high for the computer cos it makes a mess of about 90% of its shots so I thought 52 was better against cpu but I think 55 against a human is better cos it means you have to get into a position where you are inside the box and have a clear run at goal which makes it a challenge and I think more like reality, 52 seems to easy and annoys me when the cpu scores against me, the games a mess I think but I am enjoying the settings I did but if you create good one yourself post them and ill give it a go mate

This is my final settings i thought i would share, they work well the three UEFA Legends tournaments I created if you want to download and try them out
Game difficulty: legendary
Game speed : normal or slow
Sprint Speed - 80/80
Acceleration - 50/50
Shot Error - 52/52
Pass Error - 70/70
Shot Speed - 51/51
Pass Speed - 80/80
Injury Frequency - 50/50
Injury Severity - 50/50
Goalkeeper Ability - 48/48
Positioning:Run Frequency - 80/80
Positioning: Line Length - 45/45
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 40/40

This is my final settings i thought i would share, they work well the three UEFA Legends tournaments I created if you want to download and try them out
Game difficulty: legendary
Game speed : normal or slow
Sprint Speed - 80/80
Acceleration - 50/50
Shot Error - 52/52
Pass Error - 70/70
Shot Speed - 51/51
Pass Speed - 80/80
Injury Frequency - 50/50
Injury Severity - 50/50
Goalkeeper Ability - 48/48
Positioning:Run Frequency - 80/80
Positioning: Line Length - 45/45
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 40/40

You put the game speed down? Ill give it a go.

using my UEFA Legends tournaments from the creation centre I've settled on default settings on fast with zero pass error for the user and 50 for the cpu, seems like its fair if you use manual controls cos you still make mistakes, pes4lyfe you should download it and try it out, Its a work in progress but its an alright tournament just now as it is

Calcio I think you are right about 53 error if you play another person, I cant be bothered changing the slider settings now though, I dont think turning pass error to zero is cheating if you use manual controls but sometimes i just try it on default aswell it doesnt matter much really except if your team is garbage, even with zero pass error passes still wander from where you aimed it

It makes my shots swerve more against the CPU also. Can't remember what the shot error is for the CPU. Around the same I think. Otherwise they miss simple goals but in an unrealistic fashion. Just looks stupid so I reduced their error - I think it's 53 too.

It makes my shots swerve more against the CPU also. Can't remember what the shot error is for the CPU. Around the same I think. Otherwise they miss simple goals but in an unrealistic fashion. Just looks stupid so I reduced their error - I think it's 53 too.

yeah I found that myself its a bit of a joke having to change settings in it, they sold us a half finished game and said change it for yourself we cant be bothered, the passes are stupid aswell if you put them up too high, im not pleased much with that game, if i didnt know how good fifa 11 was id be playing pes likely it seems a bit more interesting than fifa 12

Back
Top Bottom