Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

You lose your previous balance unless you do the trick to give it to someone as wages before starting the new season, then sell them and you get all the money back.

Hi guys,

So, I've been considering investing some time in CM in 14, but only scratched the surface with a couple of matches.

I was wondering if you guys have some pointers for stuff I should be on the look out... game breakers or "shortcuts" that might make it less realistic.

Just to give you an idea, I've played some Football Manager in the past and I have a pretty high expectation when it comes to CM.

So, what would be top 5 game breaking issues I should be on the look out?

The only major game breaking issue that you need to be concerned with is coming from Football Manager with high expectations of CM!

Just make sure you save frequently and have at least three save files going, just in case something bad happens with your file.

If you want to go for realism, the main thing is really up to your transfer dealings, as the game lets you get away with unrealistic transfer dealings if that's what you're after (like easily signing future, high-potential stars and easy bosman contracts). It's really up to you though how strict you want to be in terms of your idea of realism.

Beyond that it's all rather basic, so you should have no problems figuring it out as you go. Seriously though, coming from FM don't expect a lot of depth from CM's features.

Ok, so multiple saves.

How's the sim? Is it worth bothering with it or should I just play the matches?

Also, contracts. I've seen there is a limited set of options, but what do you mean about easy signings?

There's absolutely no point playing a Fifa CM if you plan to sim matches, as a statistical football simulation it's obviously never going to scratch the surface of the likes of FM, personally the only matches I ever sim are international friendlies.

I've never understood people who sim their careers. Take away playing the matches and there's not much left.

I've got a major bug in my career mode. I can't sell my players so have no income. When I accept offers it always says offer rejected in transfer negotiations.

Gutted...

My third season, I'm managing Brentford and am currently 2nd in the Championship halfway through the season. Three star players are going to be out of contract at the end of the season and because I don't have any money, I can't renew them.

I've lost total interest in my career now, can't sign new players and am losing my big players on a free...

That really sucks Scorpio. I wish they would have fixed all the big showstopping bugs like that so those who really enjoy CM mode like you and I can delve deep in int without fearing something stupid like that suddenly happening.

I'm sorry to hear about your save especially after building a great lower league side and moving them up through the ranks which is supposed to be the very point of CM.

My third season, I'm managing Brentford and am currently 2nd in the Championship halfway through the season. Three star players are going to be out of contract at the end of the season and because I don't have any money, I can't renew them.

I've lost total interest in my career now, can't sign new players and am losing my big players on a free...

Pretend you've had a falling out with the owner and he won't fund anything? Take a new job? Don't treat it as a glitch but as a fictional job crisis?

Like Mackay at Cardiff. Could be fun.

And then you could report back on if switching teams fixed the glitch.

I like that idea. See if you can take over another club and if this problem persists.

Pretend you've had a falling out with the owner and he won't fund anything? Take a new job? Don't treat it as a glitch but as a fictional job crisis?

Good idea actually. I'll get back to you guys when I get a new job! Thanks for re-igniting my career EatonTJ ;)

Good idea actually. I'll get back to you guys when I get a new job! Thanks for re-igniting my career EatonTJ ;)

No problem, hope it works!

You know, I used to "power game" FIFA/PES/Football Manager career modes. And what I mean by that is I would take advantage of every player advantage possible and end up with super teams of every great player, and I'd play whatever "glitchy" formation that would lead to copy-and-paste goal after goal, and I'd go to websites to scout players or tactics or just whatever to get one up on the CPU. Even worse, I would also rage-quit against the CPU in big games and play it again until I won. Ugh.

Now maybe this "cheating" against the CPU was justified because while one day we will bow to our cybernetic overlords I would tell myself "TODAY WILL NOT BE THAT DAY" or whatever.

But as years went on my satisfaction from playing these games dwindled. There was no challenge. So when I switched to FIFA I gave up all the cheating and focused on beating the game myself. I'd seek help when it came to understanding what the formation editing tools meant, or how sliders affected gameplay, or how to avoid some weird money bug or player turning into a GK glitch or etc.

And my enjoyment of the game has risen tremendously. No more quitting and reloading when I don't get a transfer or lose a game. Just deal with it. I mean, if I have a power outage and I "forfeit" a game I was winning, sure, I'll replay it. I'm not a monster. But for anything else, I just role with it.

The best thing I can say about playing with my custom "high morality" rules, is that I get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of winning because I don't always win.

So my recommendation for anyone looking to enjoy the challenge of CM to crank up the difficulty to as high as you can (Legendary is very fun) and make up your own set of rules that eliminate all the ways you can "cheat" and then just take whatever comes your way and deal with it. It's way more fun for me to deal with losing out on transfers, or getting hit with big injuries, or even getting fired when I'm out performing expectations. (Seeking vengeance after getting fired is FUN. Buy back some favorite players, get some new ones, go back and place above them in the table. Screw them.)

Or do whatever. Just what I've enjoyed.

As PLF will recall, we used to invent all sorts of fabricated rules in the old Master League threads :P . For realism, or to prevent power-gaming, or challenging restrictions just for fun.

I do remember. :) Good old days. Seems a lifetime ago.

You playing CM Mode, Nerf?

And am I the only one who has a 'Player' mode? I started a career as young 18-year old Brazilian striker Douglas Coutinho of Atletico Paranense! After the first season, I've been transferred to Elche in January where I hope to keep them up in La Liga!

Are you playing on next-gen, PLF? Is player mode any better than current-gen? My main qualm is the lack of realism in your progression, especially how you either start matches or don't play at all. A big part of breaking in to a team is making the most of sub appearances which Fifa doesn't do. :(

Yeah I play on PS4.

You're right. That is a current limitation but I can live with it. Hopefully they can make cameo appearances off the bench a reality in next version and EA confirmed a few months ago that this IS something they've thought about and hope to do in future.

Hey, at least you can get subbed out. ;)

For me, this mode is not perfect but its definitely good enough. If you're a true hardcore fan like me, you'll enjoy timing your runs (staying onside) and breaking through defense thanks to perfectly delivered pass from a team-mate and being put throug on goal in a 1-on-1 situation.

Douglas Coutinho is a 6 foot teenage striker who starts in high 60's OVRL but has very good speed, decent technique/dribbling and supposedly great potential. I hope to play in a few different leagues and maybe eventually get called up by Brazilian national team!

Do you get subbed out if you're performing badly now? I haven't done a proper player mode play through since Fifa 12.

I had a lot more fun with it once I turned off the position indicators and the player rating meter, it felt too gamey with those on and I realized I was just trying to get the highest rating instead of trying to play proper football.

I finished my season with Brentford in 2nd position in the Championship so got promoted to the Premier League! AND I'm now again able to sell players!!

My board only gave me 900.000€ to start the season! I got Brentford from the League One to the Premier League in two seasons when the prediction was to finish mid table and this is how they repay me?? I don't think so... so I decided to get a financial take-over.

Finished my first match at Old Trafford with a 0-0 draw. Got hammered but my new goalkeeper Butland had some magnificent saves. :)

So basically there was a transfer embargo on you like the one on Barca now ;) Glad it fixed itself, yeah you don't get much at all when newly promoted to the EPL, with Wednesday I get about £3m total 100:0 on the transfer slider, if you stay up you should get a bit better transfer war chest ;)

I finished my season with Brentford in 2nd position in the Championship so got promoted to the Premier League! AND I'm now again able to sell players!!

My board only gave me 900.000€ to start the season! I got Brentford from the League One to the Premier League in two seasons when the prediction was to finish mid table and this is how they repay me?? I don't think so... so I decided to get a financial take-over.

Finished my first match at Old Trafford with a 0-0 draw. Got hammered but my new goalkeeper Butland had some magnificent saves. :)

Ha. I love it.

I do think that not getting a truckload of money after a double promotion is more realistic than not. Many owners might wait at least a season in the top league before heavy investment. Just because the club is now in the PL doesn't suddenly upgrade the clubs stadium and training facilities... I imagine a lot of the prize money goes toward investments with guaranteed returns instead of risking the money on transfers.

But, I also like the financial takeover option. Why not sell an over-achieving club with an up-and-coming manager (you) to some mega-bucks owner who wants in on the EPL?

Good stuff, glad you stuck with your career. Next move might be to try and rescue whichever traditional EPL power club doesn't make the top 4? Fun times.

I'm going in right at the top and trying to do better than Moyes has done. I've just started, got a 1-1 draw at Swansea, beat Palace 3-1 thanks to, of all people, Smalling popping up in the box to slot home, and two headers from Fellaini. I then got a very, very hard earned 1-1 at Liverpool and a famous 1-0 derby win at Man City.

Sounds corny, but in career mode I'm not skipping any cut scenes such as goal kicks etc, it adds so much to the experience.

Anyways, I chose Man Utd because it's a fun challenge, the squad is waiting for an overhaul. I've brought in loads of players - defender Mangala from Porto, midfielders Draxler, Gorcuff, and re-signed Pogba. Out went Vidic, Ferdinand, Valencia, Fletcher and Hernandez.

Sounds corny, but in career mode I'm not skipping any cut scenes such as goal kicks etc, it adds so much to the experience.

Not really, sometimes the lighting especially in the day matches is just spot on and combined with the animations I often find myself watching the goalkeeper go collect the ball for his goalkick forgetting I can skip it if I like! :)

Do you get subbed out if you're performing badly now? I haven't done a proper player mode play through since Fifa 12.

I had a lot more fun with it once I turned off the position indicators and the player rating meter, it felt too gamey with those on and I realized I was just trying to get the highest rating instead of trying to play proper football.

I haven't been subbed out but I heard it's possible. You can of course 'request to get subbed' and if you do, you will. If you don't play well, you don't get too many other chances. ESpecially if you're a backup/fringe player like mine was. So it is important to take your chances and form an impression on the manager. :)

I do play with the rating and position indicator on and am having a ton of fun. The thing is, just like because there's a position indicator, doesn't mean I won't go out of position a couple times a game. A real striker would at times be down the flank and at other times track back and help team ,etc.

I do whatever I can to help the team just like I would in real life. Usually it means being in position but not all the time.

Back
Top Bottom