FIFA 14 OT, Next Gen, PC Love, Fanboys, Star Wars, Hand Sanitizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
Along with the PES14 thread, may as well get the ball rolling, pardon the pun, for the multi-gen-platform FIFA 14:

FIFA 14 is “huge”: will go big on connectivity, but retain single-player fun

In an interview with WhatCulture, David Rutter said that EA’s goal of an always-online, interconnected experience has already been realised, and that the team will go further with FIFA 14.

Said Rutter, “For someone with a connected console you’re completely connected with the EA Sports Football Club component of the game now. Everything you do in the game counts towards your level, you can see what your mates have been up to.”

“We’re delivering data updates on professional players and injecting challenges from real matches. You can download an App to keep track of your EASFC stuff, and manage your Ultimate Team too from the bus or workplace. You’re right – it’ll get even more like this in the next few years.”

But if you’re a fan of playing alone, then fear not, for you can still get stuck in solo if you want. Rutter confirmed that this is still a key area for EA Sports.

He explained, “I think this is because it’s an excellent experience, and also because it’s sometimes a major hassle hooking up with your mates online to play head to head or the people online are quitting/cheating/beating you up. We’re working on that too.”

Rutter closed by saying that all of this effort will make FIFA 14 a huge game, brimming with extensive features. “For FIFA we’re already really pretty broad”, he said, “single player, co-op, competitive multiplayer, ranked, unranked, career, and all locked to a player or as any player, across a massive comprehensive set of players, teams and leagues. It’s a huge game.

“Our biggest features in the last three years have probably come from ‘deep’. I think deep is what gets the 90+ ratings and the fans eager, but you can’t be too narrow. Our fans have really diverse tastes in modes and we need to cater to that.”

--

Electronic Arts have provided some details in regards to the upcoming multiplatform title, “FIFA 14.” According to a report by the NeoGAF forum (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516274), the publisher told investors that the latest “FIFA” video game will be coming out this year. The soccer title will be a cross-generation release, meaning that it will launch on the current-generation platforms in addition to the PS4 and Xbox 720 next-generation systems. In the same conference, Electronic Arts also suggested that all their future titles, including “FIFA 14,” may have a manufacturer’s suggested retail price tag of $69.99 at launch with built-in micro-transaction DLC.

“FIFA 14” is slated to be released sometime in late 2013, which is around the same time frame as the launches for the PS4 and Xbox 720. Sony officially announced the PS4 on Feb. 20 at their Playstation Meeting press conference that was held in New York. You can check out some images of the PS4 accessories and menus in the slideshow at the top of this article. Microsoft is rumored to be holding their event on April 26 to unveil the Xbox 720.

Re: FIFA 14

Need to build on career mode and bring back having a pro in your career mode if you want even in manager mode, was an extra layer unlocking all the stuff for your pro that I always enjoyed.

Need to build on career mode and bring back having a pro in your career mode if you want even in manager mode, was an extra layer unlocking all the stuff for your pro that I always enjoyed.

It seems as though Rutter is fully geared towards online and making that the be all and end all, with single player a nice bonus. I guess this is what the majority of people are asking for these days, but as a single player I really do hope they don't skimp on Career Mode or any of the other modes which I've played a lot of on Fifa 13.

It seems as though Rutter is fully geared towards online and making that the be all and end all, with single player a nice bonus. I guess this is what the majority of people are asking for these days, but as a single player I really do hope they don't skimp on Career Mode or any of the other modes which I've played a lot of on Fifa 13.

If you read the whole article, he does say:
Seriously, there are a ton of people who still enjoy single player experiences. Career mode in particular remains a massive mode in FIFA and remains a big focus for us. I think this is because it’s an excellent experience, and also because it’s sometimes a major hassle hooking up with your mates online to play head to head or the people online are quitting/cheating/beating you up. We’re working on that too!

You can never be sure with these guys but hopefully it's not just talk.

If you read the whole article, he does say:

You can never be sure with these guys but hopefully it's not just talk.

Great stuff. Will be interesting to see what differences the next gen offers as far as content.

IMO, Fifa 13 is already a great game so only minor improvements are needed.
For Fifa 14 I expect they will mostly work on graphics (because of new consoles).

Atmosphere in general will hopefully be an area of emphasis. Creating a more immersive matchday experience would go a long way in enhancing career mode.

AI fouls should be top of the agenda for me - currently they just don't happen without editing the DB and product in file

I'm not sure if EA has done it on purpose to promote fair play

I would like to see more enhanced half time and full time natural replays/analysis. So Key moves being highlighted and key players. Including good challenges, Key passes etc.

I would really like a studio view for these where two pundits etc can show the highlights, that would be brilliant. Also discussing what happens in the league and transfer requests etc.

But I will just have to keep dreaming for that I think :))

on the fly menu. big visual update, crowd and adboard and things surrounding the pitch are pathetically bad. and fast menu', i can't really stress enought how irritating fifa menu is. takes friking forever for moving from one screen to the other.

The fact that FIFA is so broad, so huge, so expansive, is a reason why it's also so shallow.

If they stopped adding more modes and attaching so many online gimmicks to those modes, maybe they'd have the resource/time to spend on creating gameplay with some depth and quality to it.

The fact that FIFA is so broad, so huge, so expansive, is a reason why it's also so shallow.

If they stopped adding more modes and attaching so many online gimmicks to those modes, maybe they'd have the resource/time to spend on creating gameplay with some depth and quality to it.

Quote of the year by nerf right here.So spot on

Can I have a Like button for this?

I'll be latest to sound my agreement with this post - hit the nail on the head.

It's all style, no substance year on year lately. That appeals to a huge audience (as evidenced by the sales figures) so I don't blame them for their approach but the releases have been disappointing to me for a few years.

As always I'll download the demo and give it a decent run, but EA's attitude doesn't seem to be one that's going to result in a game oriented towards what I want from a football game, unfortunately.

+100

It's like a pizza with 40 toppings when all I'm really craving is a margherita with fresh ingredients that leaves an amazing taste in my mouth.

I don't think it is that shallow :DD

In what way is it shallow?

With the Sliders, options to play in assisted, semi and Manual and with a mixture of these, it lets the user manipulate the game to suite their preferences.

It's not perfect and they can do more, but to call it shallow is a bit too much imo.

i found it rather shallow. attention to detail is piss poor. and i really hope ps4 will remove loading time forever.

I don't think it is that shallow :DD

In what way is it shallow?

With the Sliders, options to play in assisted, semi and Manual and with a mixture of these, it lets the user manipulate the game to suite their preferences.

It's not perfect and they can do more, but to call it shallow is a bit too much imo.
Customisable controls is not depth.

Shallow in the sense of lacking strategy, having a low football IQ and being repetitive. The kinds of things that would make the core on-pitch gameplay more engaging and varied and satisfying and atmospheric. Not more online connectivity, unlockables, doing things on your phone...

In recent years they seem to have spent so much focus on expanding sidewards with new modes, but precious little on enriching the part that matters most. With so many things demanding a slice of the pie, nothing will get the attention/love it needs.

Customisable controls is not depth.

Shallow in the sense of lacking strategy, having a low football IQ and being repetitive. The kinds of things that would make the core on-pitch gameplay more engaging and varied and satisfying and atmospheric. Not more online connectivity, unlockables, doing things on your phone...

In recent years they seem to have spent so much focus on expanding sidewards with new modes, but precious little on enriching the part that matters most. With so many things demanding a slice of the pie, nothing will get the attention/love it needs.

It's Depth in playing options and how you can make the game play, that is why I was asking in what way it is shallow? that is why I asked the question.

They have introduced first touch control, they have a physics system in place that PES people are going crazy about getting (Although obviously is not a good as what PES is promising). They have improved the controls and limiting pressing with two buttons, making defending harder and more skillfull. Injuries have been much improved. You can set up your team and tactics with sliders and settings as well.

The final thing they have is manual controls and against like minded people online, I have some of the best games I have ever had with a football game and it can mimic real life results (But it is obviously not perfect).

You have quite an in depth manager mode (Compared to it's competitors, again it can be improved).

Again all can be improved, but to call it Shallow I don't think it is. It's not fantastic but it isn't shallow imo.

Yeah I'm the same I don't believe it's shallow whilst obviously like most people I can see the areas for improvement, but of course what's shallow to one person is deep to another hence asking the question of what Nerf would consider things that would add depth :)

My 2 cents: I was a long time pro evo player and last fifa I tested was Fifa97.
I have mostly played career on pro evo and it was ok.
I have tried fifa12 demo, liked it and bought the game; it was a huge improvement from pro evo: huge number of licensed teams (great for career mode), pretty accurate player attributes and values, better controls etc.
FIFA13 was similar to 12 but with minor tweakes.

I am all for realistic gameplay (that is why I avoid online play) and I understand that EA cannot make it better for me (more realistic) because of many players that play it differently (arcade run&gun, fut, online etc).

Therefore I do not expect any major changes in gameplay; they will mostly work on online mode and graphics (because of new ps4 and xbox).

Overall, FIFA is a pretty good game.

What would be your top 5 additions to Fifa14 to fix/improve that?
I'm sure we'd all have slightly differing lists and they're things I'm sure we've covered many times before, but off the top of my head:

- Some football strategy. Nothing too complicated, just meaningful, in which formations matter and tactics matter. And with a slicker match interface to support that. We're still stuck with the slow Pause menu and the same lineup/formation screen we've had for five/six years.
- Emphasis on player styles/tendencies, so for example not every central midfielder has the same behaviour template as every other central midfielder. So each team will feel different because of its composite parts.
- A less passive and more football aware AI. Teammates who don't amble around with little sense of danger/opportunity.
- Less manipulated ball physics. Let the ball be its own entity as much as possible, it would bring more variation and unpredictability.
- A richer matchday atmosphere, creating some sense of place/occasion based on match context, with more focus on crowd audio/reactions.

That's without touching on specific game modes, like a Career Mode with more to interact/strategise with than just plodding from one game to the next (such as training, team chemistry etc).

To me, the gameplay is just so repetitive and scripted, against the AI I feel like I'm just wasting my time playing against a dumb machine, the team/player styles are not apparent enough and the AI is so predictable.

Online that's a little better, but once you get into the final third then it becomes clear that there are obvious ways to score and the variation in the goals and chances is very limited.

It hardly ever "feels" like football to me - how the plays emerge and advance, how the players move, the feel of taking a pop at goal (in FIFA you turn down clear opportunities to shoot that you'd take in real life because you know it's not a "sweet spot", even on manual) etc... It's a stylish and well-made video game with very nice online features, but as a representation of football on the pitch I find it seriously lacking.

Anyone who enjoys it though and sees depth in the gameplay - good for you, and I wish I could look past the issues to appreciate it as much because there are parts of the game which are very good.

I'd like to see all of those changes and improvements. The gameplay can be improved significantly, but I don't think it is that bad or shallow. It can be a lot deeper, but that doesn't mean it is shallow imo.

At the moment, I play Manager Mode and All Manual online. For me there is no better game out there that caters for these.

Online on PES isn't great and the Career mode on Fifa is much better than on PES (again imo).

Again with all manual online, it provides me with the feeling of a real life game. With miss placed passes, bad touches, not a guaranteed goal if you have an easy chance on goal. Getting the ball to better/influential players in your team to dictate play etc

Yep it is all people's perception and feeling of the game, I hope they introduce all of the things Nerf mentioned and it will be a much better game for it, but as goldfinger said, it is still a good game without it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom