FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

I've forgot how much I enjoyed 16 , hated 17 so been playing pes all year..the issue I have with pes is that it's so tactically rigid , AI rarely out of position and never misjudge so intercept lots of passes also the catch up bug..fifa 16 felt great to actually beat a man

I love this game so much (supernova gameplay + moddingway), but some things are so annoying... It really has the potential to be the best football game ever though. Most of the time it plays lovely (cpu included) and then something happens and the cpu will make 4 quick one-touch passes and score out of nowhere. I mean EA could have better handled this momentum thing. Still can't stop playing this.

I love this game so much (supernova gameplay + moddingway), but some things are so annoying... It really has the potential to be the best football game ever though. Most of the time it plays lovely (cpu included) and then something happens and the cpu will make 4 quick one-touch passes and score out of nowhere. I mean EA could have better handled this momentum thing. Still can't stop playing this.

That's my issue as well. All of a sudden in career mode, all teams starts to play like Barca with 90% passing accuracy and catchup with my fastest players.

what does supernova gameplay do?

what does supernova gameplay do?

I tried to find a list of changes, but it doesn't seem to exist. This is a gameplay patch, so it affects a lot of things like ball physics, collisions, referees, individuality, cpu play (less tiki-taka, more longshot), etc...
Try it, it is very good, moddingway even included it in their last patch.
I wished they would find a way to get rid of these stupid scripting moments, but it seems hardcoded, even the demo had this.

Another frustrating thing on fifa and related to the scripting issue, is the passive cpu-controlled defenders. I mean actually look at we9le defenders, they will try to get the ball if they can even cpu-controlled, they will try to stick a leg. When scripting is kicking in and these cpu players ping-pong passing happen, my cpu controlled defenders are really looking dumb.

Last edited:
guys what do u recommend, i just installed fifa 16 again, which patch shall i install, what to edit in the game?

guys what do u recommend, i just installed fifa 16 again, which patch shall i install, what to edit in the game?
If you are on PC, you can also consider playing the extended version of the demo (couple of tutorial available on youtube). You can also mod it. However I do not recommend using mods post 13.05 as they include gameplay modifications that seems to distort the benefit of the demo gameplay (whether you decide to apply supernova gameplay or not).

It remains a fifa game so you will see sometime small teams playing very ambitious type of football but is more punctual/situational than their main way of playing compared with the disk release. Good teams are quite hard to manage. I see a good amount of variation in the way teams play. Build up is in general less direct (they tend to use over the top long ball if they want to play direct which is quite nice), because midfielder are positioned lower and make less runs than in the disk version so that it is harder to press your opponent but you have stronger defensive solidity feeling (teammates positioned correctly and helping to defend). This in turns means it is quite hard to break cpu defense, you need to vary your attacking approach.
I do like the idea of pressing being harder and defending easier because as someone said on another thread, football is a defense oriented game. It is easier to defend than to attack (why do you think only top team manage to play champagne offensive football and why underdogs always opt for a defensive approach against bigger sides?).

I have not changed slider so far as I am quite happy with what I see on the pitch. The cpu makes a decent amount of bad touches, bad passes (pass accuracy is still a bit high) and misses in front of the goal.

You can have a look at my twitch channel if you want to make an idea of how it looks (https://www.twitch.tv/papinho811/videos/all).

Really going to miss this solid piece of software. However after 2 years it is time to open my arms up to 18 and take the good with the bad. I will not delete in the beginning and hope that 18 gives me the same satisfaction 16 offered.

I am someone who has evolved with UT never paying real money because I like playingthe games I have never had to spend real money and can even remember a time when with conservative trading and saving you could afford to buy either Ronaldo or Messi by early February or March. Now I think that strategy has been phased out or maybe I just don't trade as well as I used to. Anyhoo I am still going at it and while clearing out my Serie A side to try and afford Alex Sanchez and Diego Costa I put up Luca Toni for 2k Bid and the game auto set a 10k buy now.

I fire up the game a day later and Toni was immediately snapped up for 10k this was just last week, hell who knows could have been an auto buy done to keep lifers like me still interested in playing and don't want to buy every years offering none the less it was cool and helped finance my Sanchez buy.

This game has been the gift that keeps giving. So many solid modes in FIFA really can not go wrong.

Last edited:
All offline play 740 games played between kickoff games and Career Mode. Single player UT 154-33-45. Just had a 1-2 expo match between Sevilla and Atletico. Atletico (CPU)came out ahead. It was a nice tight tense afair. Koke caught me out by storming into the box lashing at the ball in the 90th minute(typical FIFA ikr) and getting a bs deflection off one off my defenders off the chest ghosting past the keeper the physics looked good I kind of laughed because I do feel I could have done better defending, I switched off mentally blah blah I could go on and on, point I am trying to make is after a 1000 games in the game 16 still offers up little moments of variety football.

I am going to miss 16 I really am.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive this Thread.
I actually thought of creating a "RANDOM THOUGHTS" kind of thread so we could talk and discuss whatever comes to mind with no particular thread, but then I thought mods probably wouldn't like it and it would most likely get locked.

I've re-downloaded and re-installed FIFA 16 last Friday, thanks @Matt10 for giving me the final push and I can't believe how good this game still is. It still delivers the best football experience portrayed in a game since the WE/PES golden days from PS1/PS2.

I mean, it has it all. Individuality. Team work. Smart AI, but not perfect. They make many mistakes. Nice amount of fouls too. I'm playing on Professional and finding it really challenging. Plus it comes with the perfect package FIFA is well known for (stadiums with all weather conditions and times of day, sliders, leagues, etc). Add to that File Server (Scoreboards, Stadiums, Movies, etc), the great ModdingWay patch up to date with the latest transfers with kits, faces, etc aaaaand.... a little ReShade, and you wouldn't be able to tell it's a 2 year old game. Far better than FIFA 17 and 18 and even PES.

I encourage you to try it.

Two little videos with a few things I loved. But there are plenty worth of recording really.

1- Multiple things happening. Look at Stones and Otamendi's useless desperate attempts at clear the ball until Ederson catches it. It really adds to the immersion.

2- The shirt pulling slowing Aguero down but not successfully as he ends up scoring. I know players pulling other players shirts is still in FIFA (not in PES, as it was removed after PES 14 I think) but now it looked better in FIFA 16.

Last edited:
I'm really tempted to reinstall it now.

In case I decide to go for it, which slider set and ReShade config are you using/would you suggest to use?

I'm tempted to pick this up to based on Matt10s suggestion. I had a look on Moddingway & was quite surprised to see it has a pretty active community & an updated mod. Did you buy it off Origin? Saw its £4.99 on CD keys so might risk it on there.

I'm really tempted to reinstall it now.

In case I decide to go for it, which slider set and ReShade config are you using/would you suggest to use?

Let me know when you reinstall it and I will upload my Reshade config for you and I can also copy my Slider settings right here.
Just get FIFA 16 installed. Get the ModdingWay patch up to date and if you want, get File Server up and running (this is a big plus, specially for Scoreboards and Stadiums).
Once you've done all that let me know mate.

I'm tempted to pick this up to based on Matt10s suggestion. I had a look on Moddingway & was quite surprised to see it has a pretty active community & an updated mod. Did you buy it off Origin? Saw its £4.99 on CD keys so might risk it on there.

Exactly. FIFA 16 is still pretty damn going on hard.
I remember loving FIFA 16 throughout the whole year (since it came out until FIFA 17 came out, then I started playing PES 2017 instead). And now I know exactly why I loved it so much back then.
I can never go back to PES 2018 or FIFA 18, much less 17. I had a blast the past couple of days. Very addictive.

So tempted to get started on this. I've just upgraded my ageing PC (it's the generation before i3/i5/i7 was invented), but it might cope with FIFA 16 on lowish settings.

Is it that much of a difference compared to FIFA 17 (which I liked a lot towards the end of its lifespan) and FIFA 18 (which I just don't think is a very good game)?

I was going to maybe install FIFA 17 and fiddle with the INI files on that based on @Topaz's experiences, I'm confused now...

What's it like playing a lower-league team compared to a top-league team? Can you feel much of a difference from an AI perspective?

After a few monthes on FIFA18 (v0.1, I am on PC) then a compulsive acquisition of PES18 on discount for only a dozen of games played followed by half a month on PES 2017 (I played it a lot last year on PS4, unfortunately the PC version is far to be on par graphically despite the great modding community on here) I went back to FIFA16 in early January and I agree with what have been said upper.

This game has so much things of football. I don't understand why EA went in frostbite direction after that really great game.

The main cons the game has is the cpu tendency to retain ball possession on higher difficulties. Even smaller teams can retain a good share of possession and end the game with 85%+ pass accuracy. This is because the cpu tend to reset often their attack from the back and if you press them they will play safe pass in their own half.
I am using the extended demo version of the game (see my upper post #4959) and custom team tactic matters so that editing team to have more extreme build up approach (default EA settings are often close to the median) results in those team being less tiki taka w***es.

Chuny spoke about variety and I agree this is an awesome element of this game. The cpu can try a volley from distance on a second ball that will ends up in the sky because of a poor contact with the ball or miss by a hair from close range (you don't have those post fest). They can also score some beauties after a one man show or a good team play.
Physicality is all over the place, there is a lot of body fouls by the cpu (not only tackle) and also offensive fouls. Players physical attributes matters. And in general players individuality is great, playing with every top players feels different.

I play using the Pro player camera for more immersion and man, creating good peace of play and taking chances in front of the goal feels soooo rewarding, every shot is different (defending might feel weird at times as this camera takes strange angle inside your own box).

Last edited:
I remember thinking FIFA 16 was the pinnacle of next gen football gaming & was quite excited about FIFA 17 being on the frostbite graphical engine but then being disappointed with it being a bit clunkier, less responsive & night games looked horrible.

Then I realised it was false hype. A new graphics engine that nobody really asked for and now am inferior game

So tempted to get started on this. I've just upgraded my ageing PC (it's the generation before i3/i5/i7 was invented), but it might cope with FIFA 16 on lowish settings.

Is it that much of a difference compared to FIFA 17 (which I liked a lot towards the end of its lifespan) and FIFA 18 (which I just don't think is a very good game)?

I was going to maybe install FIFA 17 and fiddle with the INI files on that based on @Topaz's experiences, I'm confused now...

What's it like playing a lower-league team compared to a top-league team? Can you feel much of a difference from an AI perspective?

I think @Matt10 might be a better man to answer to that question, since I don't play with lower-league teams (I'm still a kid at heart). But, for what is worth, I feel huge difference between each player, you can feel the weight and the individuality A LOT more than on any of the later versions of FIFA. Even between top players.

I'm telling ya, 16 is the best all-around football game once you apply all the mods and stuff I mentioned earlier.
I'm using Supernova's gameplay mod (the latest version) and it's so good. I can't get past Professional difficulty because I'd get my ass handed to me.

I've been trying to think of something negative to say. Like "I just wish FIFA 16 had more...." but I honestly couldn't.
If you take away the fact that graphics-wise it's still a 2 year old game, then there's nothing else to say. And even if you were (which I know you aren't) a graphics-whore, once you get a good Reshade and a few other mods (LOD mod, turfs mod, etc) you wouldn't go back to FIFA 17 or 18 for the graphics.

Players Individuality - Got it
Faithful recreation of team styles - Got it
Variety and Randomness - Got it
Careful positioning and thinking before shooting (or else the ball will end up in Row Z) - Got it
AI making mistakes - Got it
AI being smart - Got it
Pretty good Team tactics + strategies - Got it

I don't know man...
I'm addicted to FIFA 16 now.

Last edited:
I remember thinking FIFA 16 was the pinnacle of next gen football gaming & was quite excited about FIFA 17 being on the frostbite graphical engine but then being disappointed with it being a bit clunkier, less responsive & night games looked horrible.

Then I realised it was false hype. A new graphics engine that nobody really asked for and now am inferior game

That's it though. If they had maintained FIFA 16's gameplay and worked solely on graphics and the overall package (leagues, scoreboards, turfs, faces, menus, etc), FIFA 17 would have been EPIC. But they started messing with things nobody wanted or complained about and they ruined it.

The main cons the game has is the cpu tendency to retain ball possession on higher difficulties. Even smaller teams can retain a good share of possession and end the game with 85%+ pass accuracy. This is because the cpu tend to reset often their attack from the back and if you press them they will play safe pass in their own half.
I vaguely remember that being the reason why I stopped playing, I'll have to have a look through my old posts...

EDIT: Yeah, these are the problems I had with it:

I tried to make Pro difficulty hard enough to keep playing on last night and found no success. It's beautifully fair, and initially challenging, but as you get used to the game it loses its edge - even with the pass error reduced, you get an AI that passes perfectly to a heavily-marked man all the time [yet] loses possession too easily.
I can't find a sweet spot - Professional with close-to-default sliders seems like the best experience but it seems too easy. On World Class, I edited the sliders and managed to get the CPU's passing accuracy down to 80% [...] but the possession was always 50/50, and it becomes too easy to win again. On Legendary, the CPU makes so few mistakes (and shields the ball so perfectly) it's not a good experience (as a League 2 team)...
Judging by the AI reaction, I'm thinking that pass error is a bit of a useless slider... If you make the AI passing worse, the game adapts by playing lots of short, simple passes (hence the pass speed slider making a bigger difference in terms of their passing accuracy). Make it better, and the pass accuracy climbs even higher.

Last edited:
Even so it is, in my opinion, the best game on the market by a good margin.
Can any of the stuff I mentioned above be negated with mods etc.? Bear in mind I'm totally new to this and I don't know what can realistically be fixed or altered using INI files and the like!

The only reason I can't go back to this is because the AI were useless at crossing the ball. 90% of the time it would go out behind the goal for a goal kick.

Back
Top Bottom