FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Fail? Are you crazy? You changed this game. :D

I just think the previous sliders set was better than the newest one. The game was much more challenging that way.

I've always been a straight shooter. I don't sugar coat my testing feedback and post 100% honestly what I think. But why should I sugar coat it? If I say the previous gameplay was better it doesn't make me right... just a disagreeable fellow.

I think it was as close to perfect simulation gameplay you can realistically get. The new sliders opened the game and defense way too much.

And I'm not saying you're wrong

I felt that the defense was too much cramped so I increased the Line sliders, and during my tests it didn't seem like I opened the game too much

I simply would like not to have a constant park-the-bus attitude, with all players behind the ball and inside the box

Yes and what I experienced with it might be just that I'm playing with one of the top teams in the world. There's no correct answer. We can offer two different philosophies here. Defensive or more offensive game. Maybe we can put a menu to Gameplayzer and the user can choose whatever gaming style he wants. Or have two Gameplayzers. That's a win-win situation.

The game changes so radically to different. How is that a bad thing? Now users have two different gameplays to choose from.

You misunderstand me, I don't want a more offensive game. I just don't want it to be overly defensive.

Besides, why make two Gameplayzers? It's just the Line sliders

Oh yeah... two different sliders of course.

I don't know... play it yourself and see. Maybe there's a good compromise somewhere. I felt the run frequency at 14 was pretty damn good setting. When you increase it more the player gets the benefits and you can use the through-pass more often. High run frequency number and high CPU defensive line create a lot of runs for the winger forwards and player benefits because he has the sprint/speed advantage and those through passes to fast wingers leave the CPU defense off-guard many times.

When you play more you get better in the game. That has happened to me as well. It's not a good thing but it's unavoidable. It's tough to keep the game challenging while maintaining all good things from the gameplay.

Ok, you make good points

I'll experiment with reducing the run frequency, and the line sliders too, so they are as close to the park-the-bus setting as possible while still being a little higher

What about incursions by the FBs? Are they low/high/...?

PS: Will let you finish your WC before uploading any new version

The fullback setting is perfect. I really like it.

Actually your preferred gameplay is probably more realistic and more modern than my preferred gameplay (well I've always been a fan of defensive football) but in my opinion yours just made the game too easy. Of course I could compensate that from the sliders by decreasing CPU shot error but it wouldn't be the ideal solution.

The D is actually very effective and good on FIFA 16. You really CAN play defense in this game, just like WE9/PES5. I don't know if it was just my lousy skills but in modern PES the defensive engine is very hazardous and fragile.

I'm sorry if the question is redundant, but what FB setting are you talking about? You said it's perfect, good, but which it is? 15? 25? 50? Since you swapped sliders, I need to make sure

What made the game too easy? Reducing speed/agility in general, or you're referring just to my increasing of the Line sliders?

Forgive me, but I'm starting to lose focus here

To be honest I haven't paid too much attention to the fullback settings. Their behavior is very good in the vanilla FIFA 16, in the sense that they're very usable when they make their occasional attacks. In modern football the fullbacks have taken on a more attacking role than was the case traditionally, often overlapping with wingers down the flank... I think FIFA 16 does that very well. Your settings have probably increased the effect even more. It's nice.

I think the main factors that made the game easier:

Height, length, width settings and the run frequency.

My suggestion (just keep in mind that it's only my suggestion) is that go back to the previous sliders and adjust them moderately (if needed). That very low defensive line probably isn't all that realistic (in most cases) but increases the difficulty around the penalty area.

But like I said don't take my word for it. It's just MY view of the gameplay.

Ok, then I'll leave the FBs at 50, seems like the right balance (I mean, it's right in the middle of the slider bar)

About the line and run frequency sliders, that's what I'm going to do. Having an increased difficulty against the CPU defense is the very reason I lowered them so much in the first place.
So yes, I'll return Run Frequency to 15 (I remember it was 15), plus I'd maybe up Height a bit (no more than 20-30), and also Length (maybe no more than 40-50), so MFs and FWs should immediately try to reclaim the lost ball. Width at 35 should probably stay as it is, too much space in between DFs otherwise I'm afraid.

Also, since by reducing speed, acceleration and agility we should have eliminated most of the CPU boosts, I think I'll try and make Speed/Accel. sliders even, without the 1 point advantage for the player. Will see how it goes.

If you guys are still willing to wait for my next disaster, that is

Cheers

One thing that we could try is to increase the user line height like (30) and use (20) for the CPU. That might make defending more difficult. CPU could have higher run frequency than user too. Why not?

If I understand correctly the run frequency determines how eager the wingers are making those runs and then wait for the through pass, right? User is benefiting this setting more (imho). CPU doesn't attempt that many through-passes anyway. I say we could try using much higher number for the CPU to make it more aggressive. I can actually try that in my World Cup tournament as well.

:THINK: True, but that would make it easier for the CPU to exploit our higher defense

Before trying to change the Run Freq. slider, I'd try to even out the Speed and Accel. sliders, bring them at 51/51 and 49/49. Maybe that way the CPU will make more runs anyway

I think I'm kinda in the mood today to continue this project of mine.

Are you guys still interested?

I'm very interested and you know it, but you have to ask yourself if working on this is giving you joy in first place. It seems to me you feel a lot of stress whenever a feedback just a bit opposite to your idea comes out and I'd be sorry to be the cause of it.

I'm very interested and you know it, but you have to ask yourself if working on this is giving you joy in first place. It seems to me you feel a lot of stress whenever a feedback just a bit opposite to your idea comes out and I'd be sorry to be the cause of it.
You're right

I fucked up

I'm sorry

You're right

I fucked up

I'm sorry

Man, you did not "fucked up" , like not at all, I just think you are too harsh on yourself and takes critics to your job on a too personal level, and I'm sorry if that causes some stress to you personally.. I love your work and I truly hope you can keep it going with joy, that's all :) .

Thank you :))

Yes, that is perhaps my biggest flaw. I may appear arrogant as a result, which surely doesn't help.

I like seeing @El Pajaro taking the time to make a WC report because he loves what we've accomplished so far.

I should try not to take any criticism personally. That is my promise to you.

Cheers :))

I didn't take any stress about it. We go way back together with these mods so I knew you already. :D

It's been very rewarding to get this game play as it now plays. Of course we continue with this.

:TU: Thanks my friend, and again, forgive me

I very slightly tweaked some ratings in DB (mainly some limitations, some values should not go over 94, etc...), and now I'm working on the sliders -- I want the CPU defense to be hard to beat, but also not so cramped behind the ball.
I think I'll try with Height at 20 for now.

PS: Go destroy Croatia now, especially if they play Kalinic. The ****** shouldn't have the honor of participating in the competition :R1

Ok, here are the sliders I'm going to test now (starting an Argentina WC too myself):

Legendary, 15 Minutes, Slow
Sprint 51 50
Acceleration 49 48
Shot Error 53 53
Pass Error 55 62
Shot Speed 51 51
Pass Speed 35 35
Injury Freq 70 70
Injury Severity 60 60
GK Ability 15 15
Marking 58 65
Run Freq. 15 15
Height 20 20
Length 40 40
Width 35 35
Fullbacks 50 50
Power Bar 50 -
First Touch 40 50

As you can see:
  • There's still a 1 point of advantage for the player in Sprint/Acceleration. I tested them at 51/51 and 49/49, but the CPU seemed boosted and didn't foul me. @El Pajaro, I know you are worried that having an advantage is unfair to the CPU, but fear not -- the gap should be at least 3 points. The 1-point differential simply "tricks" the game engine in letting the CPU think they're at a disadvantage, letting them put a leg out more = more fouls (at least, according to Bangus)
  • Shot Error is left at 53, since I lowered Finishing in the DB it should be ok. I was seeing too many balls hitting the post at 55
  • Slightly lowered CPU Pass Error from 64 to 62, too many crosses were simply mishit badly
  • Slightly upped Shot Speed
  • Reduced Run Frequency at 15, @El Pajaro was right, they still make forward runs, only not too much as before at 37
  • Height is now 20 -- hopefully it's the right balance, from what I've seen it looks like it (but don't bet on it :PP)
  • Length too is reduced to 40, MFs and FWs should backtrack more on defense, while still having midfield battles (hopefully)
  • Width returned to the original value of 35, again @El Pajaro was spot on on that -- they still cover the wings without leaving too many gaps between them
  • Fullback Positioning is at 50, they should make enough runs and still be able to cover while defending

Gonna start a tourney myself, if we all agree this is good *, I think I can start working on the Team Tactics :))

Saludos :))

* Don't be afraid to tell me if it's not! :BEER:

Did a Coppa Italia with your new settings.

Nice job! It has a very good general feel. Cpu is very physical and most of all, very aware of your forwards- lots of tackles, but they stay less compressed than before. It reminds me of your, in my opinion, best edit/combo (the one I did the FA Cup with City days ago).

I won the first game against Udinese by penalties, then in the second round I was kicked out by Roma, which scored the winning goal in the extra times with Schick (sic :LOL:).

The games were both very balanced and played in the midfield. Some chances for me, some for them (especially in the Roma game), but generally CPU still thinks first to defend, at least in this pair of games. Which don't get me wrong, it's fine by me.. I, as El Pajaro, am a fan of defensive football and I prefer a balanced bout than too many end to end chances. The feel when both teams are deprived of the stamina combined with this good defensive mentality is truly excellent and feels pretty plausible.

I'm sure we can only improve from this but it feels like such a solid base that I'd love to try a proper League or a longer Cup, even to trigger more varied situations which we can't have from just the usual small bunch of games we do with each new edit :) .

Are you sure about it or you're just telling me for fear of upsetting me? Hah, just kidding :DD

Good to hear, I'm still experimenting myself, but I too am satisfied so far. Even with Height at 20 I think the defense is still solid (probably because of Width being at 35), and Length at 40 still helps, because MFs and sometimes even FWs go back to help maintain the D.

Please, do a longer cup if you'd like (I'd tell you to even do a league, but I fear it's gonna take longer :PP). The Team Tactics are gonna need some careful planning, so I doubt I'm gonna do them relatively soon :))

Cheers :))

PS: I too like a more defensive football ;)

One thing though:

I believe the forwards' aggression has to be increased.

Do this test.

Take a ball in your penalty area. Stand there. Do nothing.

It takes almost 30 seconds before forwards will do ANYTHING to take the ball away from you. This is of course the ai logic too. The game doesn't EXCEPT you to do that. But I believe it might have something to do with the aggression setting. If we increase this setting for the forwards only I don't believe it'll change the big picture.

:TU: Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I never really noticed it myself, will do some tests when working on the tactics.

PS: Could it also be because of the Att/Def Mentality and/or Line Length? Just wondering :THINK:
Anyway, gonna try to replicate it now :))

The biggest issue is that this makes timewasting with endless passing in the defensive zone very easy. You can literally spend 15 minutes with the ball & easy passes in your defensive zone without losing the ball ONCE... if not even more. It might also decrease the difficulty too (as the forwards aren't aggressive enough in the offensive zone). This doesn't have to be overdone as it's very realistic to be able to waste time a bit (with passing game). But now their passive behavior is too overboard.

Pap is right: I too have this problem; I increased the CPU Defensive Pressure in Team Tactics to the max -- now the forwards were pressuring me and trying to get the ball.

So by increasing certain values in Team Tactics we can fix:
  • Short set pieces
  • Passive defending forwards
:TU:

:TU: Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I never really noticed it myself, will do some tests when working on the tactics.

PS: Could it also be because of the Att/Def Mentality and/or Line Length? Just wondering :THINK:
Anyway, gonna try to replicate it now :))

Good point! It could also be the combo of the height and length sliders. When I made my sliders set I used to consider that a sum of 115 for the two was a magic number.

I see :))

Still, since we are planning to keep the Line sliders reasonably low, I think I'm gonna settle for the Defensive Pressure/Mentality, since from what I could see in my test it fixes the problem -- without going too high, of course, I think I'll implement a cutoff value ;)

Back
Top Bottom