FIFA 17 - Career Mode

That kinda stuff is the absolute shit, haven't experienced it myself but then I'm yet to play a regular career mode in 17! I know they put a bunch of stuff in where you have to meet certain targets pertaining to the team and finances etc, were you meeting all those?

Yep meeting all targets easily, and as I say Double in first season so doing well.

Made no sense as my team is phenomenal but he is comfortably top-scorer, and Captain. Just annoying.

if player leave without getting message if you want to sell him its because of (homesick) that happend with my oxford(he was homesick and wanted to leave) i offered him bigger wages( from 80k to 150k and he accepted and he said next day i want to stay i dont want to leave)

Is it possible you missed an email? If you get too many new emails some just get moved to the archive box (or whatever it's called) without you even getting a chance to read it.

No I checked emails, and looked for transfer offers.. It was also done in the final hour of the 10 hour transfer window, with no alert.

Annoying but it is what it is. He was homesick, so just a warning for others. Get them on a new contract, or sell them yourself/swap in a window.

I love the amazing transfer bugs in FIFA they are too lazy to fix.

On my Exeter game at present I am defientely breaking the loan rules.
The Football League rules state: "A maximum of 5 loan Players (Standard, International, Emergency or Youth) can be named in the Players listed on a team sheet for any individual match played under the auspices of The League."

I currently have 5 players contracted to the club and 17 on loan - 10 of my starting 11 are loan players and all my subs are also loan players.

I love the amazing transfer bugs in FIFA they are too lazy to fix.
Years ago, I was told directly that they were looking to establish QA bases in different parts of the world, because some on the FIFA team (at the time) were concerned that bugs were being missed because the guys testing the game didn't really know the rules of football and assumed everything was working as intended.

I don't know if that ever happened, but even if it did, I guess it doesn't change anything - I doubt that even a UK QA of your average EPL fans would A) care to test something like that or B) know the rule in the first place...

The responsibility is entirely on the devs and it's lazy, you're right, and this kind of stuff they don't give a toss about - career mode is dying. The guys who play it tend to play it no matter how broken it is, and it's development time that brings more profit if they invest it into FUT.

We need some kind of career mode evolution, that works online in some way, or is monetised in some way, so that devs start to care about it again - or even just the fucking CPU AI.

Last edited:
If I wasn't able to play career mode with a friend via Geforce Experience then I doubt I'd spend nearly as much time with it. As it stands now I have almost 200 hours played on the PC version. It's a buggy mess and fuck all care has gone into it over the years, but I still enjoy 2vsCPU. Assembling a team on a shoe string budget, finding that rare gem of a youth player/regen, landing a big signing - all of that is still very entertaining for me.

Last edited:
I have just started my 3rd season with Newcastle. I have won the league after getting promoted and have a board approval of 69, which seems ridiculous.

I know this is down to other objectives, but these relate to brand and season tickets. These haven't changed since being in the championship. This seems crazy, given winning the premier league

Also, my focused training now seems to have far less affect on players, even those down as an exiting prospect and with the little improvement graph next to them in training

Does anyone have any ideas about these?

I wanted to post my contributions last year, but kind of lost track. So, episode #1 just went out, thought I'd share. Hope you all don't mind!

Haven't played Fifa for a few months but I never get the itch as much as when the window's open, looking forward to it closing so I can finally start a manager CM, shame we never got mods though :(

After this 1.06 update I really didn't think I could get the game enjoyable again. Thankfully sliders have helped so much. Back at it!

Fucking hell im enjoying my player career mode.
Started at Villa,on loan at Sheffield Utd,this is probably the most fun I've had on this mode in years,must say game play is spot on
Just wished they made the mode more realistic in terms of contracts etc.
36 games played,in third place in L1,just got slammed 2-0 by leaders Charlton.
Got 16 g and 8 A so far.
World class,last slider sets from OS, and @Matt10 they work perfectly.
Will probably give legendary a go next season.
Having trouble buying 18 when 17 plays this good

Having trouble buying 18 when 17 plays this good
Golden rule of current football games - if you're really enjoying it... For the love of God don't swap, or piss around with any settings!

I keep going back to my FIFA 17 career with Blackpool, way less intense than FIFA 18 but feels better for it. Loads of people saying "two great games this year" and I'm sat here thinking the total opposite...

Really glad you're enjoying it man, my FIFA 17 career mode was/is the most football game fun I've had in years.

Golden rule of current football games - if you're really enjoying it... For the love of God don't swap, or piss around with any settings!

I keep going back to my FIFA 17 career with Blackpool, way less intense than FIFA 18 but feels better for it. Loads of people saying "two great games this year" and I'm sat here thinking the total opposite...

Really glad you're enjoying it man, my FIFA 17 career mode was/is the most football game fun I've had in years.
agree on the keep playing what you like,I'd probably get 18 anyway,they usually sort it out.
Had a hard time letting my 16 go,but 17 is miles better
Yeah,keeping my sliders put,might try Leg out,I usually play on it,or start playing semi passing on WC.
Blackpool,think I had my most enjoyable Pes career with them,making great escapes year in and year out:)
C Adam was a god in my squad.
Remember how bad I thought FIFA 17 played on arrival,golden rule for me and FIFA games,get them when they stopped patching them and the community had tried slider settings for a few months.
Hope you get your 18 sorted out,was curious on it and was about to dm you on it
Thanks mate

Hope you get your 18 sorted out,was curious on it and was about to dm you on it
Thanks mate
They've made the AI feel like you're playing an other person IMO. Variety, yes - huge variety in scorelines and things, I've had a 0-0 and then a 3-3 - but underneath it all, the AI is just desperate to get the ball forward to a striker ASAP and score as many as it can. There is no toning that down without altering the sliders so that every team pushes their midfield back to the edge of their own penalty area.

Given that they said things like "better defending would make it boring" and "players were fed up of the AI keeping the ball", I'm pretty much 100% certain it's not something they're ever going to patch. Just got to hope this isn't forever, now.

They've made the AI feel like you're playing an other person IMO. Variety, yes - huge variety in scorelines and things, I've had a 0-0 and then a 3-3 - but underneath it all, the AI is just desperate to get the ball forward to a striker ASAP and score as many as it can. There is no toning that down without altering the sliders so that every team pushes their midfield back to the edge of their own penalty area.

Given that they said things like "better defending would make it boring" and "players were fed up of the AI keeping the ball", I'm pretty much 100% certain it's not something they're ever going to patch. Just got to hope this isn't forever, now.
Sounds like bad news Chris,one of the things I like on 17 is the patience of cpu build,and the fact that if the get an opening,they'll shoot.
Has pass speed been able to reduce any of the worst "desperately get ball out o strikers" ?
That's usually a good trick to lower frantic forward play.
Is this something that came straight away or it's first patch?
The futtie kids/Youtubers probably carries to much weight on opinions.

Sounds like bad news Chris,one of the things I like on 17 is the patience of cpu build,and the fact that if the get an opening,they'll shoot.
There's no patient build-up play in 18, on any difficulty, with any sliders. It's just my opinion but I've tried all-sorts mate, and the best you can achieve is the slightest of delays, at the expense of fucking up the rest of the game...

Has pass speed been able to reduce any of the worst "desperately get ball out o strikers" ?
That's usually a good trick to lower frantic forward play.
Pass error beyond a certain point (still) means the AI can't cross. It also means they'll stop hitting long balls and hit ping-pong passes more often (insane first-touch passing, to the point where it's worse than playing online).

Pass speed has to be 35 IMO or otherwise the AI hit you all game long with "driven passes", which travel at 500mph and look absolutely stupid. But it doesn't really change their determination to pass forward ASAP.

Is this something that came straight away or it's first patch?
Since day one - as I say, they said months ago that direct AI was a part of their plans to make the game "less boring". The current patches haven't changed the game a great deal IMO.

This is the kind of stuff they said in the lead-up to release:

SYcojHz.png

There's no patient build-up play in 18, on any difficulty, with any sliders. It's just my opinion but I've tried all-sorts mate, and the best you can achieve is the slightest of delays, at the expense of fucking up the rest of the game...

Pass error beyond a certain point (still) means the AI can't cross. It also means they'll stop hitting long balls and hit ping-pong passes more often (insane first-touch passing, to the point where it's worse than playing online).

Pass speed has to be 35 IMO or otherwise the AI hit you all game long with "driven passes", which travel at 500mph and look absolutely stupid. But it doesn't really change their determination to pass forward ASAP.

Since day one - as I say, they said months ago that direct AI was a part of their plans to make the game "less boring". The current patches haven't changed the game a great deal IMO.

This is the kind of stuff they said in the lead-up to release:

SYcojHz.png
That's really grim mate,the part where they state "keeping a fun game"
Yeah anything above 65 in pass error messes with crossing
I know that driven passes were an issue on 17 when it came,but got ironed out thanks to parch or slider,can't remember
Fucking hell,so boring that their policy is leaning tw the online/fut crowd in terms of game play.
I'm gonna keep an eye on OS and their slider workshop the next week or so.
Thanks a bunch mate,very useful info
Guess we'll stick to 17 pal

Guess we'll stick to 17 pal
I'm a glutton for punishment so I'm sticking with 18 in the hope that it all clicks eventually - and I love the bits they've improved. Just trying to decide if I prefer it as a package, and I don't think I do...

I'm a glutton for punishment so I'm sticking with 18 in the hope that it all clicks eventually - and I love the bits they've improved. Just trying to decide if I prefer it as a package, and I don't think I do...
Yeah,I get it,it's a package that needs to fit mate, especially gameplay,if wonky gameplay and stunning bits off the pitch Vs great gameplay and less great off the pitch action is the choice,I'll go with the last one

Back
Top Bottom