FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Nnngh, I'm making myself sick going back and forth between games... I just can't stick with one for more than five games at a time...

I had a game last night as Middlesbrough against Man City - on Legendary. I won 4-1, which I found absolutely hilarious given that in the same save, I was beaten by a League Two team in the first round of the cup on the same difficulty level (with a full-strength lineup).

This is something I've complained about for years with FIFA - how does a League Two team play like Barcelona in the cup, and yet the best Premier League teams are easy to beat? (The answer is that the best teams play more open football and the difficulty level doesn't counteract that in any way by giving them any form of boost, whereas it gives a massive boost to poor teams to "live up to" how big a challenge the difficulty level is supposed to be - realism forms no part of the difficulty levels above Professional.)

Anyway, even with all that...

I hit a cross at one point that I weighted just perfectly, and the satisfaction in getting the power just right, knowing that it was my own work, and the resulting header being more "down to me" than just being an automatic goal...

...I hate this game for making me feel joy and hate within seconds of each other, truly! EA, you're a bunch of bastards!

This year EA have not even bothered hiding the momentum online its almost funny I play pro club, FUT mostly and I have seen things you wouldnt believe lol the FUT champions qualifying is the best example of it but im not going to rant you have all heard it a million times over the years

I just find it such a shame FUT was ever invented i bet without it career mode would be really good to play vs the AI by now but as it is its just stale the new shielding feature has really broken the flow of the game its irritating

I had a game last night as Middlesbrough against Man City - on Legendary. I won 4-1, which I found absolutely hilarious given that in the same save, I was beaten by a League Two team in the first round of the cup on the same difficulty level (with a full-strength lineup).

This is something I've complained about for years with FIFA - how does a League Two team play like Barcelona in the cup, and yet the best Premier League teams are easy to beat? (The answer is that the best teams play more open football and the difficulty level doesn't counteract that in any way by giving them any form of boost, whereas it gives a massive boost to poor teams to "live up to" how big a challenge the difficulty level is supposed to be - realism forms no part of the difficulty levels above Professional.)

That is why I play career mode league matches on legendary and cup matches on world class.

Bought FIFA 16 and lost patience with it within days. Two things really annoyed me about it...

1. Almost impossible to tackle the AI on Professional difficulty. It just plays keep-ball for minutes at a time until it eventually makes a mistake. Not realistic.

2. The game-breaker for me this: can't have identical PES control set up. I like to have L2 as player switch of possession and pace control when on the ball, including to be used with triangle for lofted through ball for example. It can't be done in this and i can't unlearn over a decade of PES matches. Either I have L2 as switch with L1 as pace modifier or the other way around. I want them both mapped to L2 like PES.

Because of these issues I have a mint condition copy of FIFA 16 to sell...

2. The game-breaker for me this: can't have identical PES control set up. I like to have L2 as player switch of possession and pace control when on the ball, including to be used with triangle for lofted through ball for example. It can't be done in this and i can't unlearn over a decade of PES matches. Either I have L2 as switch with L1 as pace modifier or the other way around. I want them both mapped to L2 like PES.
In PES, player switching is traditionally mapped to L1, and there is no pace modifier. L2 isn't even used apart from changing tactics.

Bought FIFA 16 and lost patience with it within days. Two things really annoyed me about it...

1. Almost impossible to tackle the AI on Professional difficulty. It just plays keep-ball for minutes at a time until it eventually makes a mistake. Not realistic.

Because of these issues I have a mint condition copy of FIFA 16 to sell...

Hi bluewomble,

Try to give it time as the game is not too bad.

1. Personally I'm finding Prof level ok. What tackling system are you using? Legacy or Tactical?

2. Are you saying that you have the same button for 2 things in PES? Didn't think you could.

I've mapped my controller in controller settings so that it is the same as PES and it works fine for myself.

Best to reply in this thread https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/fifa-16-discussion-thread.75194/page-165 otherwise we will get slated for going off topic. ;)

Was there another update released this week?
Yeah, only a couple of bug-fixes:
  • Addressed an instance where a substitution would result in a disconnect.
  • General stability fixes in FIFA Ultimate Team and online game modes.
UncomfortableLeadingAtlanticblackgoby.gif

Hi bluewomble,

Try to give it time as the game is not too bad.

1. Personally I'm finding Prof level ok. What tackling system are you using? Legacy or Tactical?

2. Are you saying that you have the same button for 2 things in PES? Didn't think you could.

I've mapped my controller in controller settings so that it is the same as PES and it works fine for myself.

Best to reply in this thread https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/fifa-16-discussion-thread.75194/page-165 otherwise we will get slated for going off topic. ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I am using tactical tackling - I don't even know what legacy tackling does.

I have L1 and L2 buttons swapped over because I'm used to using L2 to switch players. However, on PES you can hold this down when in possession and press triangle for lofted through ball or circle for direct cross. To achieve this in Fifa 16 with these controller settings I have to use L1. I simply can't get used to it.

I have L1 and L2 buttons swapped over because I'm used to using L2 to switch players. However, on PES you can hold this down when in possession and press triangle for lofted through ball or circle for direct cross. To achieve this in Fifa 16 with these controller settings I have to use L1. I simply can't get used to it.
This works fine for me in FIFA, you can use the same button for player switching and lofted through balls.

This works fine for me in FIFA, you can use the same button for player switching and lofted through balls.

Yes you are right. Sorry, I gave wrong information.

What I meant was I like to use L2 to switch players when I'm not on the ball and to keep close ball control when I am in possession. This isn't possible in Fifa 16 but is possible in PES.

By the way guys. Anybody close to EA? Tournament mode is buggy as hell. In Fifa 16 you couldn't complete la liga, cause tournament started with 2nd game of the season. Well documented and ea didn't give a shit. This year: In premier league the home team has the
default bald manager every fucking time. This is valid for tournament mode on ps4. It's also documented but ea doesn't care. In case of extra time the 4th referee shows one minute less extra time, than decided.. every time and so on. Not a big deal but shows how ignorant they are towards offline players. It's also annoying that you cannot make a season without the career mode crap. I would like to pay full season with cup, international games, etc without the training, email reading, newspaper reading crap.. I'm getting old and have less and less time for this.

What the hell happened here?

Referee didn't blow his whistle, no foul committed, and... El Mohamady runs off with the ball. Then I get a throw.

This is the buggiest FIFA I can ever remember playing.

That's shambolic Chris. Glad I stopped playing FIFA 17. Transformation to the new engine is going to take more time.

That's shambolic Chris. Glad I stopped playing FIFA 17. Transformation to the new engine is going to take more time.
Legs going through each other, headers through players' chests, players warping from one position to another, people running off with the ball... I keep saying to myself "I thought it was the other game that was supposed to be made by amateurs".

That's OTT, I know it's the move to Frostbite that's done this. Which begs the question - was it worth it? From a gameplay point of view it's 100% no from me, it's a worse game IMO. From a graphics point of view, absolutely - and that will shift more copies than if the game "feels" better.

Just stumbled upon this thread and came to say that this isn't anything new in FIFA. In fact, I really think the "new engine" for FIFA 17 is just touched up graphics at this point.

I'll just leave those two examples here.

The longer video is utterly disgusting and it is actually the point in time where I stopped playing FIFA 16. :D

Just stumbled upon this thread and came to say that this isn't anything new in FIFA. In fact, I really think the "new engine" for FIFA 17 is just touched up graphics at this point.

I'll just leave those two examples here.

The longer video is utterly disgusting and it is actually the point in time where I stopped playing FIFA 16. :D

And this

guys you were right about all these bug's. there is scripting in every game. we can't have best from both worlds (fifa & pes). some things are better in pes and some of them in fifa. for me graphically in terms of lighting and stadiums fifa is miles ahead from pes, if you are full manual player fifa give you better control over passes and shooting. on the other side tactically pes is much better but for me pes have some incosistency, fifa have it also but in pes this is more obvious. try playing pes full manual and passes without holding L2 are like programmed but when you press L2 all players are same, every player on the pitch have same stats and can play passes and shoot with same accuracy no matter if is Messi or sky championship player. I play fifa recently and to be honest every game i see saves from keepers that look very lifelike, scoring some goals that in pes you can never score. i don't try to say that fifa is much better or pes but every game have things that can make you satisfied. we can't speak about taste, everyone is different...

guys you were right about all these bug's. there is scripting in every game. we can't have best from both worlds (fifa & pes). some things are better in pes and some of them in fifa. for me graphically in terms of lighting and stadiums fifa is miles ahead from pes, if you are full manual player fifa give you better control over passes and shooting. on the other side tactically pes is much better but for me pes have some incosistency, fifa have it also but in pes this is more obvious. try playing pes full manual and passes without holding L2 are like programmed but when you press L2 all players are same, every player on the pitch have same stats and can play passes and shoot with same accuracy no matter if is Messi or sky championship player. I play fifa recently and to be honest every game i see saves from keepers that look very lifelike, scoring some goals that in pes you can never score. i don't try to say that fifa is much better or pes but every game have things that can make you satisfied. we can't speak about taste, everyone is different...

I wish someone made a hybrid.

It's not really the scripting that ruins FIFA 17, as people say scripting in some form is in every game and every genre. The issue with 17 is that for some reason they have all the game flow wrong, it just feels like a mess when playing it. i'm not sure how they've managed it as i really enjoyed 16 especially after the latest patch - maybe its the frostbyte engine. I'm sure next year will be better but im also expecting big things from pes as this year is superb with its own faults

I have been wanting that and saying that to mates for years! I have a couple of mates that love FIFA and aren't too keen on PES and a couple that are the other way round and I keep saying "Imagine PES gameplay with FIFA's graphics and licenses?"

To be honest, i'd also take some gameplay from FIFA. Physics, shooting/passing diversity, referees, player individuality, etc...

Back
Top Bottom