FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Fuckin hell.

They are Extraordinary Assholes confirmed. How can such bug even be released on PC.

I know as soon as there was multiple reports of this bug, the game should have been rolled back to the previous version, PC users are treated as beta testers, and its not right.

all we get is this effing useless notice. revert the friggin patch first.

NnYhet5d-phiRyboHirdNoccrtUQmTrEAJ-tgQNYvfg.png

I have had the free kick bug happen to me now a few times, when your keeper saves the ball you have to throw it straight out of play for a throw in.

It has not happened on every free kick though at present.

Over on the FIFA Reddit page, someone put together a survey to try and gauge a few things about the FIFA community.

It received nearly 3,500 responses, so it's a pretty decent chunk of data - but obviously, with it being housed within a dedicated FIFA section on Reddit, the responses aren't going to be coming from casual gamers (which I don't think we are here at Evo-Web either).

Some really interesting stats - click here to see the original survey results and thread.

Here's what sticks out to me...

29% of players are under 18.
41% of players are between 19-23.
That's 70% of players under the age of 23...

(BUT, Reddit's audience will be predominantly young people, I imagine.)

93% of players mostly play Ultimate Team... :(
...but only 62% think Ultimate Team is fun. :CONFUSE:

34% of players think the game is "not fun" (but still play)! :SHOCK:

(Off-topic - when 34% of people dislike the game but buy it and play it anyway, because it's got all the licenses, how will PES ever, ever get near FIFA's crown?)

how will PES ever, ever get near FIFA's crown?

It should start by being a good representation of football, which it used to be but hasn't been for many years.

And no I'm not saying Fifa is a good representation of football either before the fanboys jump in, but if two games aren't great (which they aren't), then the one with more bells and whistles and more features/leagues + of course PR push will sell better.

PES was king when it was a significantly better game, it would have stayed king if Konami weren't greedy and lazy and refused to invest significantly in backing the dev team at the time.

While Fifa seems to be at peak gameplay, Pes is still obviously recovering from its decade long issues. So, between the two, even if neither is a good representation of football i have much more faith Pes will reach that.

To me seems like EA is happy with just tweaking things here and there, because as long as FUT is extremely profitable (survey says 93% of players only play FUT) they won't care to make big changes.

If you dont play online. Go to profile. Save profile settings. Download the latest squads and save them.

Uninstall the game, re install it. Make sure your internet connection is off. And don't download update. Play it and enjoy it in its most simulator vanilla form.

Slower, better pace, better shooting, more variety.

Every year a game comes out PES and FIFA at its best form. And with every game update. It gets gutted and adjusted to suit fast, non lag online play. The sim gets removed right out of it.

If you dont play online. Go to profile. Save profile settings. Download the latest squads and save them.

Uninstall the game, re install it. Make sure your internet connection is off. And don't download update. Play it and enjoy it in its most simulator vanilla form.

Slower, better pace, better shooting, more variety.

Every year a game comes out PES and FIFA at its best form. And with every game update. It gets gutted and adjusted to suit fast, non lag online play. The sim gets removed right out of it.
Is this on PS4?

Might try it later...

Umm is this game broken or i can not play it?
Why player defenders only do the ball watching even when the ball is slowly rolling nearby them and the cpu defenders are hungry for the ball 10/10 times and they actually take on my strikers?
The difference is so obvious that i can nat play more than 1 game.

Any tips?

i personally find fifa 17 a good game of football, i can build up the play the way i want, whether its more possession, more time on the ball or direct play, i like the shot variety, i missed it because in pes there isnt a shot variety, for me there is more satisfaction in scoring in fifa these days, i started playing some fifa since fifa 12, i used to have that satisfaction 10 years ago in pes 5 and 6, since then i lost that, fifa 17 at least rewards me for working hard on the pitch to get the goal.
as i said before, i can surely tell no difference in the gameplay btw fifa 14 and fifa 17, maybe just a bit of defending is different thats all.

Yeah solved the problem.

On another note is there a way to get the cpu to use the "favourite"custom tactic as default in CM or is it only using the default? Created a bunch of tactics but not as default so i could carrie them over if a squad updates come out but now they seem wasted...

However if i start a simple league the cpu uses the fav custom tactic. I just dont get it.

Last edited:
Playing FIFA 17 a lot at the minute, and I think I've found a bug.

The board expect me to reach the last 32 of the FA Cup (round 3). I've just drawn in round 1, and there are four teams needing replays.

I think the game thinks "four teams left over" = "only four teams left in the competition". So the objective box is now ticked... :SHOCK:

I've been really enjoying a Manager Mode game I started at the beginning of the month - started off in League Two as Blackpool, got the difficulty / sliders right, and I've seen some variance in the approach from different teams (not much, but some).

I've been putting a few hours a night into it, and I've just reached the January transfer window. And now, sadly, the game has fell to pieces for me.

I've been saving up all season, like a kid with pocket money, waiting for the window. I've replaced an entire defence with an average OVR of 60 with one of 70. Suddenly they all have strength stats worth talking about, and response stats too. I've replaced a defence worth about £200,000 with one worth £1,000,000.

And guess what. Defending is still exactly the same. Constantly walking/running past players, never being able to get a foot onto the ball, or even just approach the opponent head-on. I've read hundreds of times "you just have to get good at it" - online, maybe it works that way. Against the AI... It's a waste of fucking time, and stats mean nothing.

It's totally put me off playing, now, and I'm properly gutted about it after enjoying the extra freedom of movement and the variety of goals. Worse still, the defending in 18 is untouched - and changing to "legacy defending" makes it way too easy, IMO.

Don't know what to do.

I've been really enjoying a Manager Mode game I started at the beginning of the month - started off in League Two as Blackpool, got the difficulty / sliders right, and I've seen some variance in the approach from different teams (not much, but some).

I've been putting a few hours a night into it, and I've just reached the January transfer window. And now, sadly, the game has fell to pieces for me.

I've been saving up all season, like a kid with pocket money, waiting for the window. I've replaced an entire defence with an average OVR of 60 with one of 70. Suddenly they all have strength stats worth talking about, and response stats too. I've replaced a defence worth about £200,000 with one worth £1,000,000.

And guess what. Defending is still exactly the same. Constantly walking/running past players, never being able to get a foot onto the ball, or even just approach the opponent head-on. I've read hundreds of times "you just have to get good at it" - online, maybe it works that way. Against the AI... It's a waste of fucking time, and stats mean nothing.

It's totally put me off playing, now, and I'm properly gutted about it after enjoying the extra freedom of movement and the variety of goals. Worse still, the defending in 18 is untouched - and changing to "legacy defending" makes it way too easy, IMO.

Don't know what to do.

I am in the same boat as you and I suggest you give FIFA 13 another chance. You feel powerful when you know you have a good team and a good system/formation and I don't see a lot of scripting either.

Don't know what to do.

Oh, I strongly disagree. I play co-op career on a near daily basis and both me and my friend love looking for a quality CB. To me, there's a massive gulf in class between defenders. The strength and aggression stats greatly influence a player's defensive capabilities. When a defender has high aggression coupled with decent strength, it's almost as if he'll "teleport" to the attacker with a slight speed boost to beast them off the ball. Hell, acceleration and sprint speed aren't even that important (though they certainly help) if a defender has high aggression, strength, and interceptions. Jumping is also key for obvious reasons; you'll win a lot of aerial duels.

On one our older saves with Leyton Orient, we brought through an academy player by the name of Chin. He was South Korean, and while initially he didn't have the greatest slide/standing tackle stats, the aforementioned stats I listed were extremely high (he also had absurd ball control for some reason). At 17, he felt like an absolute Goliath in the lower leagues. He then matured into one of the best defenders I've ever used in FIFA. He was like a damn vacuum.

Shifting to the midfield, while it's a different area of the pitch, you just have to look at how amazing Renato Sanches is in FIFA 17. He's a monster in the midfield.

Marking: 72
Standing tackle: 71
Sliding tackle: 64

Those are decent defensive stats, but nothing to write home about. Now, let's take a look at the stats that really set him a part from the rest of the pack:

Aggression: 90
Interceptions: 72
Positioning: 73
Stamina: 91
Jumping: 81

He has very good movement stats as well as the Engine specialty. That's why he's such a destroyer.

This point stands for every position in the game. A player's overall rating doesn't paint the whole picture when it comes to how effective they are in FIFA. It's all about stat allocation and traits/specialties. I've used plenty of players in career and FUT that while they have a lower overall than some obvious alternatives, their stat spread makes them extremely effective in their given position. There are some star players that I think feel horrible in FIFA due to this. Ousmane Dembele is one of the best dribblers in FIFA 17 and a large part of that is because he has high dribbling/movement stats coupled with a trait combination that almost no other player in the game has;
  • Skilled dribbling
  • Technical dribbler
  • Speedster
  • Dribbler

Anyway, just food for thought. That's why sites like sofifa.com are so helpful, albeit it depends on how much you want to "cheat." It does take some of the fun out of unearthing unknown gems.

Oh, I strongly disagree. I play co-op career on a near daily basis and both me and my friend love looking for a quality CB. *Snip*
I really appreciate that post - thanks so much. I haven't wanted to give up the save, because it's rare that I'm so invested in FIFA.

Perhaps the defenders I've brought in just aren't good enough (they were all free transfers, but are twice as good as the previous defenders who - at best - had 60s for everything a defender needs).

Can I ask how you approach a tackle? Because:

• If I hold X (pressure), I hit an invisible wall around the opponent.
  • If I press O (stab-tackle), I just start busting moves...
  • If I hold L2 (jockey), either I just slip either side of the opponent, or I'm too slow to catch him.
  • If I hold L2+R2 (running jockey), I still slip either side of him and no tackle appears to happen.

I also noticed the other day - first time I've ever seen it - that the "jockey" button also results in a tackle, according to the controls list in the pause menu (plus the "jump up after tackle" button):

alGMnid.jpg

So I'm a bit lost...

Back
Top Bottom