FIFA 18 DEMO - REVIEWS & OPINIONS

FiFA 18 Demo feels great. I get t some people prefer PES.

But don't judge games based on just your tastes. I know FiFA 18 is nowhere near perfect but it feels a lot better than 17.

Graphics being worse than PES is also subjective. Things that are better in PES 18:

-Grass color.
-Night lighting.
-Body models.
-Normal ball size.
-Faces.
-LODs during gameplay.

And now the things that are better on FiFA 18:

-Cloth simulation: This is so good and advanced that it makes PES 18's one feel like old gen cloth simulation, especially the creases.

-kit models: Its more loose and realistic than PES which is good this year but still tight.

-Overal body models seems to be more tesellated. Feels more solid compared to PES where it still feels like empty inside.

-Grass texture.
-Lots of weathers and match times.

-Better cutscenes.

And yeah, its not only about the gameplay. There are people like me that wants to have good presentation and graphics along with gameplay.

Honestly this year I am interested in both games. Hopefully FiFA 18 retail is good as demo and responsive.

However I didnt play PES 18 yet (And since its locked in steam in our region, I cant even play demo). So I might not even like Pes 18. Only time will tell.
i see your point, but try PES on full manual, player camera, and then see what you think about game-play.

It's how I feel. I just played two matches as Man Utd against Real Madrid and Man City. Legendary difficulty setting.

Didn't even have to break sweat to win or think about what I was doing. No midfield play, still end to end bullshit and the ball pong pongs all over the place.

It's just doesn't feel like football to me. I loved FIFA 14 and the series has gone to pot with this terrible frostbite engine.

I never feel completely in control in FIFA these days. And it's still far too easy to just sprint past opponent with quick players.

Sorry ea but it's a no again from me this year. This is just FIFA 17 with more bells and whistles. How such a huge team like ea with huge resources can't give us something new and fresh is beyond me.
i know man, but this is what EA does. Just like Madden football. Buy exclusive licensing then put game development on ice....

Really enjoying it. Like the slower pace but still the opportunity to burst past a player like in real life. Defending will take some getting used to, need to stop running all the time.

Job well done on the demo, just hope they don't screw it up on the full game when they listen to the kids complaining that it's too slow...

Last edited:
FIFA 18 demo feels like an old person who recently got his hips and knees replaced with artificial ones and had a bad face lift in the meantime. A person who regrets his life decisions, because he had chosen money over happiness... smth like that.

p.s. I just can't shake this feeling... "if only they wanted to make a football game and not a FIFA game..." at the end of the day, it is a solid FIFA game.

Last edited:
I loved FIFA 16 but hated 17, I wasn't going to touch 18s demo because I really enjoy the PES demo but all of these positive responses are making me want to give it a go.

Hows dribbling this year? It felt like they totally broke it in 17 and things like no touch were buggy and random.

I do love how those slating the game and stating they'll "never buy this" or "it's the worst I've played" still continue to post and slate, hour after hour, day after day. If you don't like it, just exit the thread, toddle off to a PES thread or even a game that you quite like, and comment on how much better it is than the FIFA franchise. What's the point of continuously slating a game in a thread? You get nothing from it, surely? Posting positive comments is beneficial for those wanting to buy a game or finding out new features, but the negative comments are purely your own opinions and when you weight them up in this thread alone, the positive feedback completely outweights the negatives.

If you don't like the game, why bother coming in the thread to whinge about it? Go out and do something more productive. That's not a diss or being argumentative, it's common sense.

FiFA 18 Demo feels great. I get t some people prefer PES.

But don't judge games based on just your tastes. I know FiFA 18 is nowhere near perfect but it feels a lot better than 17.

Graphics being worse than PES is also subjective. Things that are better in PES 18:

-Grass color.
-Night lighting.
-Body models.
-Normal ball size.
-Faces.
-LODs during gameplay.

And now the things that are better on FiFA 18:

-Cloth simulation: This is so good and advanced that it makes PES 18's one feel like old gen cloth simulation, especially the creases.

-kit models: Its more loose and realistic than PES which is good this year but still tight.

-Overal body models seems to be more tesellated. Feels more solid compared to PES where it still feels like empty inside.

-Grass texture.
-Lots of weathers and match times.

-Better cutscenes.

And yeah, its not only about the gameplay. There are people like me that wants to have good presentation and graphics along with gameplay.

Honestly this year I am interested in both games. Hopefully FiFA 18 retail is good as demo and responsive.

However I didnt play PES 18 yet (And since its locked in steam in our region, I cant even play demo). So I might not even like Pes 18. Only time will tell.

I fully agree with all you just said.

I do love how those slating the game and stating they'll "never buy this" or "it's the worst I've played" still continue to post and slate, hour after hour, day after day. If you don't like it, just exit the thread, toddle off to a PES thread or even a game that you quite like, and comment on how much better it is than the FIFA franchise. What's the point of continuously slating a game in a thread? You get nothing from it, surely? Posting positive comments is beneficial for those wanting to buy a game or finding out new features, but the negative comments are purely your own opinions and when you weight them up in this thread alone, the positive feedback completely outweights the negatives.

If you don't like the game, why bother coming in the thread to whinge about it? Go out and do something more productive. That's not a diss or being argumentative, it's common sense.

This is just what happens with PES thread, so it seems it is the common thing.

I cannot stand this demo, but it is because I am too much used to play PES. So I do not have more to say hahaha

I loved FIFA 16 but hated 17, I wasn't going to touch 18s demo because I really enjoy the PES demo but all of these positive responses are making me want to give it a go.

Hows dribbling this year? It felt like they totally broke it in 17 and things like no touch were buggy and random.

Same here. Enjoyed FIFA 16. Thought it was the best FIFA yet. FIFA 17, not so much. Looking forward to trying this.

This is just what happens with PES thread, so it seems it is the common thing.

I cannot stand this demo, but it is because I am too much used to play PES. So I do not have more to say hahaha

Having an opinion on the demo/game is different to going over and over the same nuances and issues to make your point. I have no problem with folk voicing their concerns or saying the demo/game is rubbish, but it's when they then come back to say it again, and again, and again. Or saying it's the worst football game they've ever played. Wut? Unless it's the only football game they've played, then no it is not. It's basically said for effect.

Not a go at you at all. Hell, this is an open forum and folk can post what they like, I'm not in charge. But it does get kinda repetitive seeing the same stuff spouted again and again when in reality the easiest thing to do is just exit the internet completely.

So far played 3 games on the demo, and my opinion on it is not great.

After the 3 games, it seems the game is awfully scripted.
You don't seem to be in control of it much this year, and the amount of times my players have turned their backs when being passed to and balls just hitting their legs.

I also hope they change players pace, as I played Man City and Raheem Sterling was like superman, he sprinted pass all my players with ease and created multiple chances.
So next game I decided to be Man City and indeed Sterling is Superman, you give him the ball and he can run pass everyone.

The graphics are also terrible on PC, but I think this is down to the demo not having the Hi-Res textures.

At present it looks like I will be waiting for the 10 hour Origin trial next week before I decide on whether to purchase the game or not.
As we all know the demo always plays nothing like the full game.

So far I loved getting the ball to Di Maria, Veratti, Dybala (and of course CR7) and all these star players. However, Neymar feels like he's a nobody. No special moves, no particulr distinguished animations for him. He's just a good as Douglas Costa when you're controlling him.

Played the demo, just 2 matches. It did not click for me as of yet. I enjoyed 16 a lot but since frostbite the magic is gone for me. Especially after playing the PES demo i find it really hard to adjust to FIFA again. Cannot really put my finger on it, everything just looks and feels a bit weird. The shooting is top notch though. I will give it another try later, maybe i will change my mind.

So far I loved getting the ball to Di Maria, Veratti, Dybala (and of course CR7) and all these star players. However, Neymar feels like he's a nobody. No special moves, no particulr distinguished animations for him. He's just a good as Douglas Costa when you're controlling him.

I hope there are hidden stats in the db that we can adjust for that. However, we will have to see how far modding will come in the PC version.

Played the demo, just 2 matches. It did not click for me as of yet. I enjoyed 16 a lot but since frostbite the magic is gone for me.
Exactly my thoughts.
I still play FIFA 16 from time to time, yet I uninstalled FIFA 17 long ago. It never really did look "right" to me.

The same applies to this demo: the first couple of matches I played left me pretty satisfied, but with a "meh" feeling that I can't really explain yet. I feel that something is wrong with this demo, and I can't explain what or why.

The PES 2018 demo did the same to me, too. The only difference is that the PES demo had me amazed at the beginning, then the "meh" feeling started to slowly emerge after several matches. In this FIFA demo, the "meh" feeling popped up straight away.
I like it, all in all, but there's something that's not right and I cannot put my finger on it either.

It's an infuriating situation really, because I don0t know what to do to eradicate that "something's odd" feeling. If I could see clearly what annoys me, I would try and do something to circumvent/mitigate it... But now I (still) can't.

I played about 10 matches yesterday night. Not enough, but it was very late and had to get up early for work today.
All I can say is that FIFA 18 (the demo, anyways) reminds me a lot of FIFA 16 which is my favourite FIFA game along with FIFA 13 and 08. The dynamic, the pace, the dribbling, the variety when attacking, the many possible outcomes of similar situations, that sensation of "anything can happen".

I was sure I would dislike FIFA 18 so much, when watching videos. But now... I will wait until the full game comes out to see whether they screwed it up (again) or kept the good stuff of this demo in the full game. If they did maintain them, I will buy it as a self-present for Christmast. LOL.

Exactly my thoughts.
I still play FIFA 16 from time to time, yet I uninstalled FIFA 17 long ago. It never really did look "right" to me.

The same applies to this demo: the first couple of matches I played left me pretty satisfied, but with a "meh" feeling that I can't really explain yet. I feel that something is wrong with this demo, and I can't explain what or why.

The PES 2018 demo did the same to me, too. The only difference is that the PES demo had me amazed at the beginning, then the "meh" feeling started to slowly emerge after several matches. In this FIFA demo, the "meh" feeling popped up straight away.
I like it, all in all, but there's something that's not right and I cannot put my finger on it either.

It's an infuriating situation really, because I don0t know what to do to eradicate that "something's odd" feeling. If I could see clearly what annoys me, I would try and do something to circumvent/mitigate it... But now I (still) can't.

That "something's odd" feeling for me has been something that probably popped up when they introduced the "360" dribbling along with fifa 10. I really like the demo and the more weight it has, but it's just something that doesn't feel right when making passes when the players legs makes a small a little bit too fast movement sometimes.

@Chris Davies Are you playing the demo or catching up on some lost sleep? :D Very curious to know what you make of the demo.
:D Yeah, I was up until 6am putting that PES review video together last night. Living on two hours' sleep, and already planning on recording and uploading some more PES vids tonight for the guys who want to see the difference between Top Player, Superstar and Legend.

I'd only played a few games on the FIFA demo before Great British Bake Off came on last night and I had to give up my TV privileges, but what I played I really enjoyed. The comparison to FIFA 16 has already been made and that's how I felt, too - though it's still got those damn Frostbitey edges.

It's really frustrating that "team styles" are so subtle, if they're there (and EA are really quiet about it when questioned, despite releasing marketing content advertising it as a feature). But. I do think they're there and they're just hidden to us users, after that beta video I posted (where Tottenham were given 30s for their custom tactics' pass speed and build up, but then during the game were just DESPERATE to get the ball to the striker ASAP).

But I don't recognise the gameplay from the beta (though I played the beta on Xbox One, and I'm playing this on the PS4 Pro - and I do wonder if rendering at a bigger resolution would result in the human eye perceiving it to be a different speed, because I think it's really really slow, and yet other people have said it's too fast).

I've not seen as many Frostbite "quirks" either (weird glitchy dribbling, players kicking through their own standing legs - and I'm sure all of that will still be in there, it just might not crop up as often).

The AI still seems to always be keeping an eye on the striker in-case they can hit a direct ball to him (and this is teams like Chelsea, not Bolton Wanderers), and I'm not feeling bags of player individualilty, although I am definitely feeling some (Mkhitaryan felt a lot more fun and "free" on the ball to me than Lukaku did, for example).

Pass accuracy seemed way too high too, but when I think that it's this slow etc. on the default sliders... I can't help but feel like there's real potential there to shape it into something great.

That's if you can get past it being a modern FIFA game though, with all its trappings (having to get a degree in physics to be able to control your own defenders when using "tactical defending" for example).

And for God's sake, why is the game almost black and white when playing in some of the stadiums? You press pause and the menus are bright and colourful, then you unpause the game and it's like you're watching highlights of the 1956 FA Cup final!

TL:dr; absolutely HATED the beta, don't hate this, but why's it in black and white.

just the fact that theres chelsea and man utd on the demo and im not worried about sourcing kit pngs or paying for some crap option file (or having to take 2 months to make my own) has me excited

also the presentation is immense

:D Yeah, I was up until 6am putting that PES review video together last night. Living on two hours' sleep, and already planning on recording and uploading some more PES vids tonight for the guys who want to see the difference between Top Player, Superstar and Legend.

I'd only played a few games on the FIFA demo before Great British Bake Off came on last night and I had to give up my TV privileges, but what I played I really enjoyed. The comparison to FIFA 16 has already been made and that's how I felt, too - though it's still got those damn Frostbitey edges.

It's really frustrating that "team styles" are so subtle, if they're there (and EA are really quiet about it when questioned, despite releasing marketing content advertising it as a feature). But. I do think they're there and they're just hidden to us users, after that beta video I posted (where Tottenham were given 30s for their custom tactics' pass speed and build up, but then during the game were just DESPERATE to get the ball to the striker ASAP).

But I don't recognise the gameplay from the beta (though I played the beta on Xbox One, and I'm playing this on the PS4 Pro - and I do wonder if rendering at a bigger resolution would result in the human eye perceiving it to be a different speed, because I think it's really really slow, and yet other people have said it's too fast).

I've not seen as many Frostbite "quirks" either (weird glitchy dribbling, players kicking through their own standing legs - and I'm sure all of that will still be in there, it just might not crop up as often).

The AI still seems to always be keeping an eye on the striker in-case they can hit a direct ball to him (and this is teams like Chelsea, not Bolton Wanderers), and I'm not feeling bags of player individualilty, although I am definitely feeling some (Mkhitaryan felt a lot more fun and "free" on the ball to me than Lukaku did, for example).

Pass accuracy seemed way too high too, but when I think that it's this slow etc. on the default sliders... I can't help but feel like there's real potential there to shape it into something great.

That's if you can get past it being a modern FIFA game though, with all its trappings (having to get a degree in physics to be able to control your own defenders when using "tactical defending" for example).

And for God's sake, why is the game almost black and white when playing in some of the stadiums? You press pause and the menus are bright and colourful, then you unpause the game and it's like you're watching highlights of the 1956 FA Cup final!

TL:dr; absolutely HATED the beta, don't hate this, but why's it in black and white.

You have to disable HDR. It's so horribly implemented.

Meant to say, and I keep repeating to myself that presentation is pointless, but.

A deflection fell to Mkhitaryan at the edge of the area last night, and I smashed at it, completely mishitting the shot, but the ball stayed in play and flew to the winger.

There was an ironic cheer (i.e. "waheyyyyyyyy") from the crowd.

They did that when missing by a wide margin in last year's game, but I don't recall them doing it for mishits.

They're going into overdrive with the presentation - and I know it doesn't matter. But. You can't help but "wow".

Meant to say, and I keep repeating to myself that presentation is pointless, but.

A deflection fell to Mkhitaryan at the edge of the area last night, and I smashed at it, completely mishitting the shot, but the ball stayed in play and flew to the winger.

They did that when missing by a wide margin in last year's game, but I don't recall them doing it for mishits.

They're going into overdrive with the presentation - and I know it doesn't matter. But. You can't help but "wow".

it does to me when for the last 10 years ive had to make my own , now i can actually sit down and just play the game instead of wasting hours of my life trying to get everything organised, im too old to be messing around

I missed a penno and as the ball was approaching the stands, the fans actively ducked for cover to avoid getting hit. I laughed. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

it's true every player feels the same, sluggish game-play on defensive side. i feel nothing when i score, because the game is lifeless. No excitement. Penalty shootout system is very poorly thought out. Just boring. Another thing just played pro camera and the frame-rates are choppy. What sells this game? Licensing and presentation. Just my opinion, don't take it personal.

Every player feels the same? Get Robben on the ball and get back to me. He looks (with his custom animations) and feels like a dream. One of the best players in the demo and it's immediately apparent. In terms of not feeling anything when you score, I can't help you there. I certainly felt something when I scored this late in the match on semi shooting:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom