FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

I really like FIFA 18. Haven't enjoyed my football this much since PES3/4/5/6, really. Looking forward to FIFA 19, I hope EA improve a few things off and on the field, particularly player switching, defending and fouls. I'd also like the sound of the ball being kicked to make a return.:))

Last edited:
Yesterday I tried something different and guess what I actually liked it a lot better.
So... I think we all agree that FIFA 18 is way too fast on normal (well, not just FIFA 18 but most FIFA games are), so I always play on slow. But then I thought? What if we set the speed to normal and then lower pass and shot speed sliders to an extreme value? So I set pass speed to 8 and shot to 15 and I saw some very interesting things.

So:

User Sprint: 50
User Acceleration: 50
Shoot Speed: 15 (also tried with 10, and I also liked it)
Pass Speed: 8
User Marking: 56
User First Touch: 54

CPU Sprint: 48
CPU Acceleration: 48
Shoot Speed: 15
Pass Speed: 8
CPU Marking: 54
CPU First Touch: 57

Left the rest of the sliders untouched.

I actually felt the game was a lot more like FIFA 16. Saw some nice rare animations.
I like that players feel more agile now on normal, dribbling also becomes a little more possible (my biggest gripe with FIFA 18).

I don't know, just try it yourselves. I may be going crazy looking for the perfect football game, but I was actually happy with the results of this 'trick, if I may call it that.

Can't believe you play with those pass and shot speed settings. I'd never finish a match. Takes like half hour for a pass to reach a teammate.:LOL: CPU sprint and acceleration settings is the same as what I use. Gives me a little more time on the ball.

Can't believe you play with those pass and shot speed settings. I'd never finish a match. Takes like half hour for a pass to reach a teammate.:LOL: CPU sprint and acceleration settings is the same as what I use. Gives me a little more time on the ball.

What's your assistance settings?

My opinion is that Speed and Acceleration on 50 with normal speed is just a joke.This is not football.
Even on slow if you have these on 50 it's still faster than it should be.
I play on slow and these two on 48 or 49 to have a somehow realistic feeling.
Yeah you can't dribble for shit unless you use the right analog but at least it doesn't feel like all players are on steroids.
Also pass speed somewhere near 42 with 57-58 pass error is somehow good i think.

The thing is that Fifa is made for very fast unrealistic play to keep the Fut kiddies happy so when you change the sliders it has various side effects.Yeah it plays a bit more realistic on slow and if you lower a bit the speed/acceleration but then stupid things start happening like players backpedalling and jogging and other shit.

For me Pes on -1 speed looks more natural and realistic in order to keep a real life game pace without so much annoying side effects.

Dribbling is still broken and useless in FIFA 18 rather than 17 or 16. I tried almost all the possible sliders but the magnetic tackling makes it impossible in Legendary.

My opinion is that Speed and Acceleration on 50 with normal speed is just a joke.This is not football.
Even on slow if you have these on 50 it's still faster than it should be.
I play on slow and these two on 48 or 49 to have a somehow realistic feeling.
Yeah you can't dribble for shit unless you use the right analog but at least it doesn't feel like all players are on steroids.
Also pass speed somewhere near 42 with 57-58 pass error is somehow good i think.

The thing is that Fifa is made for very fast unrealistic play to keep the Fut kiddies happy so when you change the sliders it has various side effects.Yeah it plays a bit more realistic on slow and if you lower a bit the speed/acceleration but then stupid things start happening like players backpedalling and jogging and other shit.

For me Pes on -1 speed looks more natural and realistic in order to keep a real life game pace without so much annoying side effects.

My bad, my bad.
I forgot to say that I'm on PC and I'm using a Gameplay mod besides the other settings I told you about. So that must be what's making all the difference.

Dribbling is still broken and useless in FIFA 18 rather than 17 or 16. I tried almost all the possible sliders but the magnetic tackling makes it impossible in Legendary.

Well in 17 player cant dribble at all the do it very slowly and in that regards the defence is overpowered. If you do global modification than they dribble quicker and can past through slower defenders (as you adjust their acceleration too) but they just do really jerky moves then.
Looks ugly.

In 18 demo i remember that the dribbling looked much better and dribblers by default stood out. What happened?

Well in 17 player cant dribble at all the do it very slowly and in that regards the defence is overpowered. If you do global modification than they dribble quicker and can past through slower defenders (as you adjust their acceleration too) but they just do really jerky moves then.
Looks ugly.

In 18 demo i remember that the dribbling looked much better and dribblers by default stood out. What happened?

I'm not sure what it was like the final game in this regard, but anyway they put out so many gameplay patches to balance the online (sic) that I lost count, so even if it was there I'm sure it was swallowed by one update or another.

Remember that this game also had tons of fouls out of release, magically took away after one or two patches.

What. Dribbling isn't broken. It's magic in FIFA 18. I don't mean to sound condescending but you may want to drop to a lower difficulty. There's no shame in it. And check out some tutorials. Dribbling is the best it's ever been in a FIFA game.

What. Dribbling isn't broken. It's magic in FIFA 18. I don't mean to sound condescending but you may want to drop to a lower difficulty. There's no shame in it. And check out some tutorials. Dribbling is the best it's ever been in a FIFA game.

I sort of agree. The dribbling on the whole is very good in 18 although there are times when AI defenders can magnetically steal in without any effort. I am able to pass AI players when I want to by using the modifiers and waiting for the space to open up. Sometimes I fail and that's what makes it feel quite real. To say dribbling is broken is just trolling tbh.

Looks ugly.

The dribbling aspect is the same in the new gen and the burst of pace is better in FIFA 18. However both in FIFA 17 and FIFA 18 early demo, there were no magnetic/teleporting tackling from the AI. It was introduced in the full game and it ruins immersion massively. Have they fixed that yet? Plus I can't drop difficulty because the game is way too easy already. Beating clubs like Chelsea, Man city 4-0, 5-1 etc in Legendary just by passing around and playing tiki taka. I have shared countless of videos and gifs in soccergaming and how awful the CPU AI cheats on tackling.

The dribbling aspect is the same in the new gen and the burst of pace is better in FIFA 18. However both in FIFA 17 and FIFA 18 early demo, there were no magnetic/teleporting tackling from the AI. It was introduced in the full game and it ruins immersion massively. Have they fixed that yet? Plus I can't drop difficulty because the game is way too easy already. Beating clubs like Chelsea, Man city 4-0, 5-1 etc in Legendary just by passing around and playing tiki taka. I have shared countless of videos and gifs in soccergaming and how awful the CPU AI cheats on tackling.
Played a few games on 18 last night,I used to enjoy it,but it is a mess.
Magnetic defending still happening,difficulty level is off,I usually play semi on WC (don’t like Leg,feels less “human”) and I’m outshooting the CPU 20-25 to 5-10 every game,and I’ve played as Wigan and now Stoke.
Can’t believe how refreshing and organic 17 feels compared to 18,I’m struggling on that game,same settings,survived my first PL season with 5 points.
To bad,it looks good and so on,but gameplay...

What is this magnetic defending people complain about?

I'm finding dribbling to be insanely overpowered this year. I can literally dribble from the halfway line to the PK spot with ease and regularity, and I don't have a player in my CM squad over 74 OVR. I would absolutely love to see a CPU defense that is more aggressive and better tacklers.

I think if you scroll here,or in the Fifa 18 thread you’ll find a video on it.
It’s when you have the ball and the defender suddenly slides in from nowhere and takes the ball

I *think* I know what you're referring to - seems to me there's a fairly widespread issue of a sort of "snappiness" with animations in FIFA 18 and this may be one of those examples.

But on the other hand, I experience that as much with my own defenders as with CPU defenders, so to me - though I'm not saying there isn't an issue - it feels fair between what we can do and the CPU can in tackling.

I *think* I know what you're referring to - seems to me there's a fairly widespread issue of a sort of "snappiness" with animations in FIFA 18 and this may be one of those examples.

But on the other hand, I experience that as much with my own defenders as with CPU defenders, so to me - though I'm not saying there isn't an issue - it feels fair between what we can do and the CPU can in tackling.
It evens out,not really bothered,more bothered by the cpu lack of aggression,I can cut across the penalty box without getting to much pressure on me,can’t do that on Fifa 7
And the straightforward attacking by the cpu is very frustrating as well,again compared to FIFA 17
But in all fairness,haven’t played the 1,11 update yet

I agree with @rockstrongo

Sometimes the defender won't close me down or put any pressure and I can dribble through the whole defense with the worst dribbler. Other times, defender snaps the ball out of nowhere no matter if I am Messi or Hazard. However it doesn't make the game difficult for me. All I do is pass around it instead of dribbling. It's just a bit annoying.

I agree with @rockstrongo

Sometimes the defender won't close me down or put any pressure and I can dribble through the whole defense with the worst dribbler. Other times, defender snaps the ball out of nowhere no matter if I am Messi or Hazard. However it doesn't make the game difficult for me. All I do is pass around it instead of dribbling. It's just a bit annoying.
Yeah it’s a bit worrying,to uneven.
I’m actually having better games online than offline now,this is a great game for online gaming,and for offline I’ll rather play Fifa 17

Yeah it’s a bit worrying,to uneven.
I’m actually having better games online than offline now,this is a great game for online gaming,and for offline I’ll rather play Fifa 17

Playing proclubs after watching @Matt10 playing it and it's the best for me when it's 11v11 human players. You should try that as well. But now for offline, I play FIFA 17 and FIFA 16. For online, FIFA 18 is pretty fun.

Playing proclubs after watching @Matt10 playing it and it's the best for me when it's 11v11 human players. You should try that as well. But now for offline, I play FIFA 17 and FIFA 16. For online, FIFA 18 is pretty fun.
Might try pro clubs mate,having fun with online seasons,but I’ll deffo give that a go.
If I had a pc (modern world all tablets here) id go for a modded 16,still having a very tough career on 17 though.
Yeah,18 is good online.
Thought both my 18’s were dead and buried,but enjoying both online

Pro clubs are a lot of fun mainly because you really do get an idea of where FIFA's stats are. They are true in representation. Try to shoot with a 40 shot accuracy and goodness knows which row it will end up.

I’m gonna check pro clubs out.
Actually enjoying 18 offline since 1,11 came out,much better,especially when playing semi or manual passing

Seriously angry with this game at the moment.

Got a career going and I'm up against Nice in the Europa League. 2-0 down from the first leg at their place. World Class difficulty, semi assisted settings.

I've restarted the match 14 times now and seen constant evidence the match is rigged for me to lose. Magnetic defending, 50-50 challenges where the ball breaks perfectly for their players and never my own, me going in to steal the ball only for their player to stumble and block me from reaching it over and over again, and my point-blank shots being saved impossibly every time by the keeper. I actually went upstairs at the end and yelled into my pillow with frustration. I lost every single match.

I am sure this game just decides every so-many fixtures to make it impossible for you to win. Am I wrong?

Got a career going and I'm up against Nice in the Europa League. 2-0 down from the first leg at their place. World Class difficulty, semi assisted settings.

I've restarted the match 14 times now and seen constant evidence the match is rigged for me to lose. Magnetic defending, 50-50 challenges where the ball breaks perfectly for their players and never my own, me going in to steal the ball only for their player to stumble and block me from reaching it over and over again, and my point-blank shots being saved impossibly every time by the keeper. I actually went upstairs at the end and yelled into my pillow with frustration. I lost every single match.

I am sure this game just decides every so-many fixtures to make it impossible for you to win. Am I wrong?
Poor pillow..lol. Treat it with respect next time please.:D

Genuinely think Frostbite is the cause of this - magnetic defending etc. is the result of less resources due to the new engine, I think (or if not less resources, just a case of code having to be simplified to wrap around Frostbite).

I switched from PES to FIFA after many years purely because of how "cheaty" PES felt in comparison. Out of nowhere, FIFA has developed these shortcuts-to-winning.

Genuinely think Frostbite is the cause of this - magnetic defending etc. is the result of less resources due to the new engine, I think (or if not less resources, just a case of code having to be simplified to wrap around Frostbite).

I switched from PES to FIFA after many years purely because of how "cheaty" PES felt in comparison. Out of nowhere, FIFA has developed these shortcuts-to-winning.

The other thing I kept seeing was the AI players catching up to either my players or loose balls when they shouldn't have had a prayer of getting there. That's a PES tactic and utterly infuriating. So many times I broke down the wing ahead of the CB and he was able to cover the diagonal ground faster than me in a straight line to intercept. Pathetic.

The other thing I kept seeing was the AI players catching up to either my players or loose balls when they shouldn't have had a prayer of getting there. That's a PES tactic and utterly infuriating. So many times I broke down the wing ahead of the CB and he was able to cover the diagonal ground faster than me in a straight line to intercept. Pathetic.
I've been playing a 2vAI career mode with a friend for a while now and even on Professional - possibly because there are two human players and so the AI is "stretched" and has to resort to more of this cheaty behaviour - it's silly.

Every through ball goes just out of play, or just reaches the keeper. Dribbling and beating an AI defender just doesn't happen - the worst defenders can teleport between you and the ball with ease. Also, I thought crossing was improved for 18 - and yet we've never seen a single goal from a cross/header (except for the AI's).

We picked Everton so we knew it'd be a struggle, but not this much of a struggle. We've been in the bottom four all season because the AI can exploit a hole in the defence so well, but leaves none itself.

By ourselves, we'll play on Legendary and get a half-decent game, other than the situation you describe, which is more rare. It's utterly infuriating.

The AI is quite possibly the worst it's ever been for both fifa and pes this year. It's made clear that it's designed to complement 2 humans playing against each other with plenty of lazy shortcuts to make the AI hard to play against on it's own. It's just harder to notice with fifa (better player positioning and less space, but it doesn't matter much when the AI decides to spam driven passes and perfect through balls down the flanks). EA doesn't need a realistic game, there are only 2 games and they've positioned it as the slightly more realistic. If the trend continues I expect Rocket League to be the football sim choice in a few years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom