FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Seriously angry with this game at the moment.

Got a career going and I'm up against Nice in the Europa League. 2-0 down from the first leg at their place. World Class difficulty, semi assisted settings.

I've restarted the match 14 times now and seen constant evidence the match is rigged for me to lose. Magnetic defending, 50-50 challenges where the ball breaks perfectly for their players and never my own, me going in to steal the ball only for their player to stumble and block me from reaching it over and over again, and my point-blank shots being saved impossibly every time by the keeper. I actually went upstairs at the end and yelled into my pillow with frustration. I lost every single match.

I am sure this game just decides every so-many fixtures to make it impossible for you to win. Am I wrong?

Right, I'm now at 22 games and still haven't beaten them. I think the game is bugged to stop me winning this tie forever. Can that even happen?

One thing that is crippling me is the way my team is set up. I'm playing a solo career so I can't do anything about the formation or tactics. In other words, I'm effectively playing with 9 men because the AI are set up to exploit my midfield.

We haven't got to Fifa 19 yet, but when we do apart from the glaring problems with gameplay shared on here i would like to see.

Every team who have won the Prem and F A Cup get their own stadiums and classic kits they won them in.(same for each country.
Every world cup winners the same.
Ability to pucrchase different kits to mix and match.
Update player appearences on the fly.
Generic lower league stadium pitches look heavy under foot with more wear and tear.

Sorry if this bothers Fifa 18 thread users in advance.

Last edited:
NHL has to be their baby,must have been the first sports game right?
But can’t imagine it selling more than FIFA.
And that game has some major issues when it comes to gameplay as well,not to mention strange trades made by cpu to cpu.
But a good game when it comes to sliders,I feel that they change the gameplay a lot,even a slider section for aggressive game play,and how to call penalties,example being how frequently an elbowing penalty or a boarding penalty or any other penalty gets called for you or the cpu
Haven’t played 18 yet,but the last one I played,no matter how you tweaked the game,you couldn’t make the AI dump and chase for instance
Remember before 2k stopped releasing hockey games,how much better theirs were than Eas

And when it comes to FIFA 19?,stop sucking premiership banana (you know what it means) they have the licence for BL/2/3 and no stadiums,PL has stadiums,if wolves/Cardiff gets promoted so will they.
I’ve recently started playing BL on my career,and it’s refresing compared to a overpowered PL gameplay wise,same thing with La Liga/Ligue 1/Serie A
And the generic stadiums?
Isn’t it time for a overhaul on those?
The Eastpoint arena,the one featured on 17s home screen looks amazing there,In the game it’s a dull concrete block
I mean they have some very cool generic ones,just update the a bit pleas

Also kits,especially for us console players,compared to 17 where they had a decent amount of classic kits,what happened to those in 18?

But to be honest,I’m at the point where a solid game play,and freekicks being called will be enough for me

Last edited:
Well that's nice for you and i suggest you probably suck the prem banana before me pal:D We all have ideas of what we want and i've given mine.

Good thing about being home for a week with the flu is that you’ll get some deeper gaming done,when not completely out of it that is.

Been through FIFA 18 enough right?
But I’m a bit worried bout the future of this game,and Pes to,but that’s a different story.
Even though OS community has done a great job with sliders,can’t like this game,cpu is so one dimensional,and I don’t think you’ll realise that until you start playing older titles again.

I’m five seasons in on my 17,not a very good game,I like it better than 18,that’s for sure,but that’s pretty much were it began.
Hardly any fouls etc,good gameplay from the cpu though,but the rare fouls makes it hard to love.
I’m on semi passing with 17 btw.

FIFA 16,use to play the shit out that game,still like it,but being on console,its a tough to handle the cpu pass percentage,that’s pretty much my dealbreaker with that game,chasing a cpu that has 87-93% every game drives me crazy.

Got started on my old Sunderland save on 15,and god how good that game plays,kept my OS sliders that @Matt10 and co created,so much variation from the cpu,freekicks all over the place,very physical game.
The sliders are set kinda slow,with a very slow pass speed,think it’s one of the last sets created,but it’s something else.
You struggle vs good teams,even though passing is never unrealistically high,you have to play very smart to beat top teams,and good teams ends up with a realistic amount of points at the end of the season.

Really enjoying that one,but a bit worried about FIFA’s offline modes if it keeps going like it’s been going since 17.

Discovered a few really naff things about career mode during the co-op one I've got running with a friend (both Everton - I've moaned about how cheaty the AI is before now, seemingly worse than usual because it's got two human players to deal with).

Our last game as Everton (15th) was against Liverpool (3rd) - we went 2-0 up and lost 3-2, I very nearly smashed his controller against a wall. I've not seen anything so blatantly cheaty since the bad old days of PES.

With it being a derby, the "manager score" took a hit and we were immediately fired. Fair enough, we've been in the bottom five all season because defending seems almost literally impossible against the AI, we just watch them score.

So, the next screen is, "job offers". There was one, from Huddersfield.

There was no way to say "no", you can't go back a screen, you can't reject the offer. You have to take it. You can't even go back to the main menu, you have to close the game and reload your save if you don't want the offered job (at which point you'll be offered it again).

So we said "yes", even though we wanted to go to a lower league...

You inherit the performance score of the previous manager.

So we joined Huddersfield with a manager score of 30 and a game later, we were fired for being below target.

The incompetence over there in Canada is beyond fucking belief.

So we joined Huddersfield with a manager score of 30 and a game later, we were fired for being below target.

I believe this, or something similar, was a thing in older fifa games as well. It was an end of season thing, where you could get fired just before the end of the season, and then fired again from your new team at the start of next season!

But hey EA still works hard on their CM for us. Aren't you amazed that you can now negotiate player wages in a cutscene to the sound of sombre elevator music?

But hey EA still works hard on their CM for us. Aren't you amazed that you can now negotiate player wages in a cutscene to the sound of sombre elevator music?
I particularly enjoy having to select my transfer offer digit-by-digit starting from 000,000,000 during those cut-scenes.

Also, that managers travel from London to Liverpool to discuss a deal with you in person, worth about £1m for some scrapheap of a player, then walk out immediately in sheer disgust after you make an offer below their transfer value. What a waste of a flight - but then, it would appear the football manager's most feared object is the t-t-telephone...

Discovered a few really naff things about career mode during the co-op one I've got running with a friend (both Everton - I've moaned about how cheaty the AI is before now, seemingly worse than usual because it's got two human players to deal with).

Our last game as Everton (15th) was against Liverpool (3rd) - we went 2-0 up and lost 3-2, I very nearly smashed his controller against a wall. I've not seen anything so blatantly cheaty since the bad old days of PES.

With it being a derby, the "manager score" took a hit and we were immediately fired. Fair enough, we've been in the bottom five all season because defending seems almost literally impossible against the AI, we just watch them score.

So, the next screen is, "job offers". There was one, from Huddersfield.

There was no way to say "no", you can't go back a screen, you can't reject the offer. You have to take it. You can't even go back to the main menu, you have to close the game and reload your save if you don't want the offered job (at which point you'll be offered it again).

So we said "yes", even though we wanted to go to a lower league...

You inherit the performance score of the previous manager.

Pretty much every aspect of the career modes are so stupid.
Me playing mainly player career,been back and forth between 18-17 and 15,nothing has really changed.
The worst example of stupid Ai from the game is when your virtual coach,the one who never gets fired,no one does in that mode,buys 5 wingers,when the team only has two central midfielders,both being 60-65 ovr,in Borussia Mgladbach gunning for the title.

And having two horrible CM,you’d think Mr virtual coach would use a CAM as an option,since we have two,both 75 ovr.
Nope,let’s play the shitty ones.
Or on other positions,defenders never ever getting to play because they are not “in form” so instead you’ll end up with a 17 year old CB with a 60 ovr rating instead of the older and better 73 ovr.

I’d wish we had total control and freedom in game play modes,if I wanna pick the team.or chance strategy,then let me,since the “coach” clearly is proper shit,and I’ve fucking paid for the game.
Let me have the option at least

Pretty much every aspect of the career modes are so stupid.
I swear they've reintroduced a few of the bugs they've fixed over the years as well, which is unbelievable (as @manmachine said, the career issue isn't new).

While I remember - that career problem (being sacked, being forced to join a different club and then being sacked after one game due to inheriting the previous guy's manager score)...

We tried to continue the save the other day.

One match as Huddersfield, fired. Then got offered (forced into) the job at Bolton, where the manager score was 16 (!). One match, fired. Then Gillingham. One match, fired. Then another. At which point, we just deleted the save.

They 100% could not give a solitary fuck about career mode guys.

I swear they've reintroduced a few of the bugs they've fixed over the years as well, which is unbelievable (as @manmachine said, the career issue isn't new).

While I remember - that career problem (being sacked, being forced to join a different club and then being sacked after one game due to inheriting the previous guy's manager score)...

We tried to continue the save the other day.

One match as Huddersfield, fired. Then got offered (forced into) the job at Bolton, where the manager score was 16 (!). One match, fired. Then Gillingham. One match, fired. Then another. At which point, we just deleted the save.

Sounds fucking awful,I’ve stayed away from FIFA 18 quite a lot,I think game play was okay around 1.10,didn’t get deep into any career to “enjoy” what you’ve experienced:)

I think it’s obvious how bad this is gameplay wise when you play 15/16/17 and those games kills 18,not to mention all the crap you mention,kills every long term ambition you have with the game.
Just like Pes they really need to re do the career modes completely.
Still love playing 18 online though,but for a career mode,I’m enjoying my Gladbach on 17,my Swansea on 16 and my Sunderland on 15,can’t really muster up any joy of going deep in to this one,no matter how shiny it looks

As long as we have a save that we can go back for a fix when we need it, all is good :)
Thanks to cloud saving fifa15/16 presented me with my 3-4 year old CM saves and I kinda felt sentimentally attached to them, lol.

I'm still going strong with fifa16 and I decided to go with quantity, mooooore save files.
There's so much quality content in the moddingway mod, a ton of up to date leagues, even j-league now, balls, stadiums, etc. So I said to myself, you know what, it's a 3 year old game and life is short, I'm not tasting just a single slice of all this content by investing in a single CM with a single team. So I've started many single tournaments/seasons, Newell's Old Boys in Argentina, Sampdoria in Serie A. I can stop playing and then can go back casually to whichever season I feel like without worrying about transfers, keeping players happy etc. So far it's been a blast.

As long as we have a save that we can go back for a fix when we need it, all is good :)
Thanks to cloud saving fifa15/16 presented me with my 3-4 year old CM saves and I kinda felt sentimentally attached to them, lol.

I'm still going strong with fifa16 and I decided to go with quantity, mooooore save files.
There's so much quality content in the moddingway mod, a ton of up to date leagues, even j-league now, balls, stadiums, etc. So I said to myself, you know what, it's a 3 year old game and life is short, I'm not tasting just a single slice of all this content by investing in a single CM with a single team. So I've started many single tournaments/seasons, Newell's Old Boys in Argentina, Sampdoria in Serie A. I can stop playing and then can go back casually to whichever season I feel like without worrying about transfers, keeping players happy etc. So far it's been a blast.
Same here,I just played one save I’m having with Portsmouth,shitty players etc so much fun

Yeah picking a weak team really adds to the variety. I'm struggling with Newell's Old Boys at the bottom half of the table but loving every minute of it. It really adds to the experience when you have to play defensively for a change and rescuing points or stealing wins with your few chances feels really rewarding.

So far I'm not getting any of that "easy games against top teams" nonsense as well. I don't know if it's a thing in CM. With Sampdoria I lost to teams like Inter, Roma, Napoli but bagged a lot of goals against bottom sides. I did win Juve 2-1 at home, but I had to play the whole match with an (ultra)-defensive tactic which made the win feel great.

Yeah picking a weak team really adds to the variety. I'm struggling with Newell's Old Boys at the bottom half of the table but loving every minute of it. It really adds to the experience when you have to play defensively for a change and rescuing points or stealing wins with your few chances feels really rewarding.

So far I'm not getting any of that "easy games against top teams" nonsense as well. I don't know if it's a thing in CM. With Sampdoria I lost to teams like Inter, Roma, Napoli but bagged a lot of goals against bottom sides. I did win Juve 2-1 at home, but I had to play the whole match with an (ultra)-defensive tactic which made the win feel great.
I think that’s what makes this game stands out mate,tough games vs tough teams.
Also,you’ll see top teams finishing where they usually do,with a decent amount of points.
Think Chelsea won the league in my 16 save with Swansea on 91points.
Compare that to my last PL save with Stoke on 18,where spurs won the league with 74 points and Man City came 17th.

When I played 16 the most,I remember being so happy beating Chelsea 1-0,or drawing at United with a lower ranked team.
I’m deffo gonna keep playing this game more

I'm pretty sure by now, the only reason there's a single new CM feature every year is just so they can point to it and say with a straight face "see, we're still working on it". But it's never something that adds ANY depth.

Player training? You can now watch bars filling and numbers rising by clicking a button. People love watching numbers rise. And maybe it will make you want to level up your FUT Ronaldo. Of course it's something that already happened in the background anyway. Negotiations in a cutscene? They were so impressed with their own idea, there was no way to skip them on release. At least they had the common sense to patch it with an option to delegate it. Best thing they ever added? It's great that when I choose a team I can see their kits, stadium, board objectives and a brief introduction for all teams. That's about it.

They also missed a trick with the Journey. The power of the medium is emergent storytelling through gameplay. See all the great ML/CM posted by people. Imagine if all the effort was put into supporting your CM experience. Tough interviews, drama, crowd reactions, etc. But they had to make their own movie. Kids seem to love it though!

Last edited:
Had a funny glitch happening to me last night.
3rd season on player career,in Bournemouth,where I came after two seasons at Wigan.
Decided to change team,even though I just arrived that summer.
Transfer request granted,had three offers in the last 10 hours of the window,didn’t feel like playing for city/Utd/Arsenal so I declined all offers,and stayed at Bournemouth.

Since I had two boring internationals right after the window I skipped til the 12th of September in my calendar,had a game on the 14th
Opened up my inbox and had an offer from Palace,dated the 10th of September,and signed on the 12th

Ha ha,EA...wtf?

Had a funny glitch happening to me last night.
3rd season on player career,in Bournemouth,where I came after two seasons at Wigan.
Decided to change team,even though I just arrived that summer.
Transfer request granted,had three offers in the last 10 hours of the window,didn’t feel like playing for city/Utd/Arsenal so I declined all offers,and stayed at Bournemouth.

Since I had two boring internationals right after the window I skipped til the 12th of September in my calendar,had a game on the 14th
Opened up my inbox and had an offer from Palace,dated the 10th of September,and signed on the 12th

Ha ha,EA...wtf?
It's just EA caring about Career Mode...lol
Not that Konami is better in that aspect either...

Has anyone else here played FIFA 18 on the Switch? I picked it up for 20 quid a couple of weeks ago out of pure curiosity and can't stop playing it! Had to make a couple of small adjustments to get the best out of it, setting the game speed to slow and knocking the pass speed down by 10 or so did the trick.

It's a completely different game to my PS4 version. The gameplay is a different beast altogether as it runs on hybrid engine & is very reminiscent of older PES & FIFA titles. It especially reminds me of the 2010 world cup game, much better inertia & dribbling and the ball is actually normal size rather than that silly pea sized thing on PS4. The ball physics and player movement all just look & feel much more natural to me even though it looks a bit dated.

Graphically it's a big downgrade & has a few weird bugs but overall I'm finding it much more rewarding than the current gen offering. Almost Impossible to play in handheld mode though so docked is the only option.

Almost feels like a hidden gem that nobody is talking about. Really hoping to see both FIFA 19 and PES released on the Switch this year.

Last edited:
Cool that different consoles has different outcomes.
I almost packed my Fifa 18 in (Xbox one) but since moving away from The PL and in to Bundesliga,I can’t stop playing this game,I’m loving it right now.
Only downside is fewer freekicks than 16,but everything else is very good

Has anyone else here played FIFA 18 on the Switch? I picked it up for 20 quid a couple of weeks ago out of pure curiosity and can't stop playing it! Had to make a couple of small adjustments to get the best out of it, setting the game speed to slow and knocking the pass speed down by 10 or so did the trick.

It's a completely different game to my PS4 version. The gameplay is a different beast altogether as it runs on hybrid engine & is very reminiscent of older PES & FIFA titles. It especially reminds me of the 2010 world cup game, much better inertia & dribbling and the ball is actually normal size rather than that silly pea sized thing on PS4. The ball physics and player movement all just look & feel much more natural to me even though it looks a bit dated.

Graphically it's a big downgrade & has a few weird bugs but overall I'm finding it much more rewarding than the current gen offering. Almost Impossible to play in handheld mode though so docked is the only option.

Almost feels like a hidden gem that nobody is talking about. Really hoping to see both FIFA 19 and PES released on the Switch this year.

I got it on release day.
It’s good fun.
My only issue with it is as predicted by many people, there’s not been a lot of updates.
So glitches remain with the biggest being 2 men taking kick off.
I really don’t see pes getting released on Switch.
A lot of people in the gaming industry reckon that FIFA 19 won’t be released on switch. It will be a one off.
Hope not.

I got it on release day.
It’s good fun.
My only issue with it is as predicted by many people, there’s not been a lot of updates.
So glitches remain with the biggest being 2 men taking kick off.
I really don’t see pes getting released on Switch.
A lot of people in the gaming industry reckon that FIFA 19 won’t be released on switch. It will be a one off.
Hope not.
Yeah it definitely doesn't have regular updates from what I've heard and is full of bugs, keepers sometimes don't wear gloves and player's sometimes have actual red faces, it's so strange. The gameplay is ace though, good fun and I'm really looking forward to the world cup update next month as I hear it is coming to the Switch as well.

It'd be a shame if Konami and E.A didn't release anything this year as there's a big market to tap in to here.
If Konami were clever they could/should maybe release an old title like PES 5 or 6 on the Switch, retro gaming is huge on that system. It would be a match made in heaven although I'd still take a PES 19 or FIFA 19 in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Yeah it definitely doesn't have regular updates from what I've heard and is full of bugs, keepers sometimes don't wear gloves and player's sometimes have actual red faces, it's so strange. The gameplay is ace though, good fun and I'm really looking forward to the world cup update next month as I hear it is coming to the Switch as well.

It'd be a shame if Konami and E.A didn't release anything this year as there's a big market to tap in to here.
If Konami were clever they could/should maybe release an old title like PES 5 or 6 on the Switch, retro gaming is huge on that system. It would be a match made in heaven although I'd still take a PES 19 or FIFA 19 in a heartbeat.

That would be superb.

I signed Real Madrids keeper for Napoli and he didnt wear gloves so Ive seen that bug.
Its great fun but I kind of knew that EA would release it then forget about it as they cant make a lot of money out of it.
People wont buy a switch for FIFA when for £100 more you can buy a PS4 PRO or Xbox One S.
I think I read EA released one FIFA for PSP then didnt bother to release anymore after saying it would be yearly thing like they do for consoles.
Only way I see EA or Konami releasing yearly games for the Switch is if this year really is the last year for 360 and ps3 versions of PES and FIFA as roumered.

I ended up starting another career with my friend after the above debacle - we ended up 16th with Everton and it was a nightmare all season long (never able to get close enough to players to win possession back, conceding 2-3 goals per game), before we got sacked and came up against that "one game and you're immediately fired" issue.

We started again as Newcastle, and I tweaked sprint speed / acceleration to be one notch higher for us than it is for the CPU (as well as turning down marking just slightly).

I don't know what's made the big difference (switching team or so slightly tweaking the sliders), but we won the pre-season cup (beating Red Bull Leipzig 2-1 in the final), and started off by beating Tottenham 1-0, then drawing 2-2 against Bournemouth away.

It's like a different game. Perhaps the morale at Everton was causing us issues? (But with no visual warning - I know you can see morale in the contracts screen or similar, but it's pretty awkward to find.)

Either way, suddenly we seem to be getting luck on our side in awkward situations (although I'm still sick of every ball-winning tackle being pointless because the AI win it back immediately, before you've even regained possession) - and not only that, but the best parts of a players' stats seem to be easier to spot.

We had a £12m offer for 75-rated Pérez almost immediately, and the board wanted us to sign a "crucial striker", so we accepted that and signed Mame Diouf from Stoke for £7.5m for his 90 heading ability (I can't think of a single time I've scored from a cross in FIFA 18, so I was hoping this would help).

Every time the ball is in the air around the box, he seems to be able to win it and head it down to a team-mate (though he's still not scored a header yet, only a couple of tap-ins and one absolute screamer into the corner from 35 yards out that my mate was hitting out of 90th-minute "ref's going to blow his whistle so don't go backwards" desperation).

If the Everton stuff was a morale issue, and Diouf continues to impress with his heading (and if I can bring in some good crossers before the transfer window closes, and it actually makes a difference)... Then I mean, I can't help but be really impressed with how the game has processed all of that, despite the frustration.

I just wish defending was overhauled - I really don't think the current system is the way to do it. I can close a striker down and be inches away, but then pressing "stab tackle" makes the defender lunge in a random direction. When the striker scores because you are helpless to do anything other than walk past, it feels really shitty.

Sounds good fun Chris, the best moments of footy games are when the chips are down and you manage to scramble wins from scrappy goals. PES 2010 was ace for that.

Despite really enjoying some of the recent FIFAs, after barely a couple months of playing intermittently online I'm already done with this years game. To begin with I assumed there was layers that will reveal themselves the more I progressed, but I've just reached D1 in seasons and have concluded there's absolutely zero depth to it as far as I can tell.

Every game's a lottery. They're just a clumsy mess of both teams desperately trying to reign control of their players. Dribbling is both stupidly effective and completely counter intuitive. I never feel in control of the ball, yet despite that my attacks will always find a way to bumble through the defence into acres of space.

I properly enjoyed both FIFA 15 and 16, but since Frostbite I feel completely dissociated to what's happening on the pitch. Like there's a minute input lag, which means both players are reacting half a second behind the play.

I really miss football games man. In the last 10 years I've only gotten into PES 2011, FIFA 14, and FIFA 15. The rest all have small bits and pieces that are good, then suddenly disappear in the next version.

I don't see EA moving away from Frostbite any time soon, and it's hard to believe Konami will suddenly get their house in order.

If you took away the licensing and graphics, is there anything intrinsically difficult about sport's games that
dissuades developers? There have been really high-end racing and FPS simulations from indie studios, but far as I'm aware there haven't been any sports titles recently that haven't come from EA, 2K and Konami.

Have this fantasy of a 7-a-side RPG online game where all the players are user controlled. Basic graphics, no licenses, no AI. But perfectly emulated physics, footballing basics and properly simulated attributes.

Back
Top Bottom