FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

What sliders are people using? My lad just got a Xbox one x and game looks stunning. He wants some sliders please. Thank you.

I’m using operation sports community sliders (1,10 ver)
And they work very well with my semi pass/shoot,and manual everything else.
World class 15 min
I never though I’d enjoy this game,but my Bundesliga career is so much fun

Default sliders
Full manual
Normal speed
World Class 15 Min
TV aspect ratio set to Normal 4:3 instead of Full Screen (slows the gameplay down to a realistic pace)

What the hell have they done to the career mode with those stupid negoations?

Also every time you part ex player - striker for a striker for example - the other team will say - we are looking for a left back and the negoations stall.

I offered Milik for vardy and they would only take Insigne who is rated at £55m.
So £19m Vardy for £55m Insigne. Yeah right.

It’s making the mode unplayable for me.

Mate came over last night as we had a 1 v 1 game.
It was amazing. I was Napoli and he was city. Played a 2 legged game.
Napoli 1-3 City and then City 1-3 Napoli - i lost on 4-3 on pens.

I repurchased 18 a few weeks ago and have been playing a good a bit. Speaking as a full manual player:

Positives:

- Larger spectrum of passing power, specifically in short passing. You can now properly pull off very short lay off passes, which has never really possible in past iterations to this extent (though FIFA17 made a good step forward on this too). This can make for some really cool and intricate passing moves.

- In many ways this is the best inertia has ever been in FIFA. If you beat your man they will actually take a long time to catch-up, like in real life. It makes the match flow more realistically and gives greater importance to positioning and open spaces. Inertia (or lack therefore) has been my biggest personal pet peeve of the series so to witness this aspect improve with each installment is pretty amazing (we started to see proper inertia from FIFA16 onwards IMO).

Negatives:

- Powering up passes takes too long. This slows down play unrealistically because real players can get the ball out of their feet quicker. The time it takes to power up should simply be shortened by around like 20%.

- Defensive body barging is still too OP and binary. Defenders feel like they can step across their man to win the ball in unrealistic, superhuman ways, and it just feels cheap. This is also exemplified by the fact that when you're dribbling on the ball your player will basically not offer any auto-shielding, so the ball is just ripe to be taken away by a defender who can use their OP body barge.

- Dribbling doesn't always feel under your control, sort of as if the touches you take are too big. Also the inertia of dribbling & sprinting (specifically) can feel inconsistent, as sometimes it feels like I should be bursting away from a defender but the players just don't. This is only exemplified by the problems of defending in the game (noted example in the previous point), which brings me to:

- Tactical defending. It's still just bad. It's too automatic (press button to hover at a 1metre radious from dribbler). It's too finicky, and most of all it's just frustrating as fuck to have your guy actively not attempt to get the ball even when it's 5 inches right in front of him. I have never enjoyed this system. Legacy defending was way more intuitive and the only reason that it was deemed problematic was because old FIFA's had no inertia, so defenders could run right at you and have next to zero recovery time and be on your ass again. This is no longer the case with FIFA nowadays. There is the argument that Legacy defending is still too OP, but that then is a balance issue that could be resolved, not a design issue. Fundamentally I think Tactical defending/contain is just bad design and should be removed. Contain is just jockey but in automatic/assisted form anyway.

IMO defending should be based primarily on manual jockeying (L2) and good timing. That's it. Game would feel so much freer in both attack and defense.

Overall:

I still think that FIFA18 has made many technological improvements and is in many many ways more of a simulation of football than any of other FIFAs, but the executions of some things and general 'bogged down' feeling of the game still have me preferring the funness of FIFA16 (it's just to bad the population on that game is tiny now). If they can combine the technology of 18 with the execution and funness of 16, then future FIFA's can and will be something special.

I’ve only had the game for 2 weeks on Xbox but I prefer the Switch version.
I never feel like I have total control of my players on Xbox

I really wish that in 19 the slow the pace of the game down.
It's just sooo damn quick, even when playing on slow.

Sliders don't help either, because the movements become very sluggish / clunky.
I'd like to have the smooth flow of animations, combined with a lower pace.

Not expecting it, but a man can dream.

I really wish that in 19 the slow the pace of the game down.
It's just sooo damn quick, even when playing on slow.

Sliders don't help either, because the movements become very sluggish / clunky.
I'd like to have the smooth flow of animations, combined with a lower pace.

Not expecting it, but a man can dream.[/QUOTE
It would be great if they could make the game slower and more towards realism but the Fut kiddies like to to have ridiculous pace in the game and running and dribbling like mental with Ronaldos,Messis and Neymars because otherwise it's ''boring'' lol.
It's not gonna happen.This is the curse of Fifa.Than even if they want and can create a more realistic game,they don't or they won't because most of their customers(clueless kids) don't want one and prefer this super quick ping pong bullshit cause it's ''fun''.That's why even when they release a more realistic version early in the season,they always end up patching it again and make it like shit because of the crybabies.
And like you said even with sliders it becomes a mess because it's built to play very quick and unrealistic so when you lower them then the animations look spastic and epileptic and don't synch with the slower pace.
This game is not built to have a natural flow,neither on animations or pace.
I see this even clearer when i play pes 18 on -1 speed.The sense of flow there is amazing and something that i never saw in any fifa and propably future fifas also.

Something about Fifa 18 is horrible regarding gameplay. Everything feels sluggish. Like, when I wish to stop with the ball, it takes just that moment longer for it to do so. Don't have this problem with Fifa 17. Also if a pass goes astray and want my player to get the ball, he seems a little slow try and get it, even when I'm sprinting. So the CPU usually get it.

Sliders and settings exactly the same as well as same console. Not played Fifa in months now because of it.

this game is fantastic! Best football game i've played. Broadcast camera zoom 20 sliders default except cpu first touch error on 55......Defending is a blast. The animation system is so amazing.. I use manual control.

Lots of fun with South American teams

Last edited:
this game is fantastic! Best football game i've played. Broadcast camera zoom 20 sliders default except cpu first touch error on 55......Defending is a blast. The animation system is so amazing.. I use manual control.

Lots of fun with South American teams

Broadcast camera could be a little better, but I do use that. And in better I mean it could be more adjustable.

Something about Fifa 18 is horrible regarding gameplay. Everything feels sluggish. Like, when I wish to stop with the ball, it takes just that moment longer for it to do so. Don't have this problem with Fifa 17. Also if a pass goes astray and want my player to get the ball, he seems a little slow try and get it, even when I'm sprinting. So the CPU usually get it.

Sliders and settings exactly the same as well as same console. Not played Fifa in months now because of it.
Only had one full season on 18,first half of it great,second half a disaster,hard to explain,but not being able to" break free" most shots blocked,a toe in the way,a bad touch when getting the opportunity,and yeah bit of delay or freezing of your players in crucial moments.
I prefer the gameplay of 17,much more enjoyable for me
Looks good though

playing Mexico teams vs Argentina teams default controller settings except manual switching.
some slider adjustments. the trick is setting the first touch loose, around 55/65. shoot speed down to 45/45. and injury 35/35
it's a blast. so good i don't think i can make it better.

Last edited:
One thing I can't believe they removed in 18.. Super Cancel.

Now when your player locks onto a run you are stuck with it - you can no longer hold L2+Sprint to 'unlock' him and move him where you want. And since 'locked runs' are awful and make the player chase the ball instead of closing down the angle (whether defensive or offensive), it basically just locks you into giving away or missing free chances.

Makes no sense to me that they would remove this aspect of freedom from the game.

One thing I can't believe they removed in 18.. Super Cancel.

Now when your player locks onto a run you are stuck with it - you can no longer hold L2+Sprint to 'unlock' him and move him where you want. And since 'locked runs' are awful and make the player chase the ball instead of closing down the angle (whether defensive or offensive), it basically just locks you into giving away or missing free chances.

Makes no sense to me that they would remove this aspect of freedom from the game.
I knew there was something going on with super cancel - but I looked at the control guide in-game and it's still listed, I think...

I knew there was something going on with super cancel - but I looked at the control guide in-game and it's still listed, I think...

It may still be included in some sense, I dunno. I'm always using L2+Sprint regardless, for jockey and running purposes, and out of habit. But I know that I get locked into runs constantly and to my knowledge there's nothing I can do about it, and L2+Sprint doesn't cancel it.

I uploaded some new full manual control highlights today if y'all want to check it out. All clips are played against humans in either Online Seasons, Friendlies, or Co-op.

(8m58s)

I use super cancel all the time. How has it been removed exactly?

Just tested it, still seems to working with R2 + L2

Wow, I've not played this for a while. I've been hammering the old games after having a retro-fest and installing games like FIFA 16 on my PC, patched up to greatness.

Couldn't shake the feeling of things not being "free" enough on 16, though, so after playing with 17 (and getting annoyed at the AI's reliance on ball-shielding), gave 18 a new go.

Started a career mode game as Bolton (Championship team). Went through pre-season on Legendary, and somehow it feels... Different. Almost definitely placebo, because I've been playing the old games, but there is a little bit of evidence. Such as...

First game, against Aue (German second division). Absolutely smashed them, 4-0, on Legendary. Played a really young side and they were dancing around the opposition.

So I was thinking, "woah, Legendary is way too easy now". Played the next game. Eintracht Braunschweig. Won 2-0, but it was a different game. Less space, but one of the goals - which I'll upload at some point - was from a desperate smash at the keeper, and he did a Karius. It was straight at him, but he flapped at it, trying to push it away, didn't have the strength behind it, and it looped over his head and into the net.

Then, the third game. Dynamo Dresden. They were on top from minute one. They were constantly pressing - I couldn't get passes off - and they played a DM, marking my CAM. The formations of both teams mattered.

(Which is why it really fucking annoys me that you can't see your opponent's formation before kick-off - you have no clue how to set up, and I hate that about FIFA.)

I switched from a CAM and ST to two strikers, but I was already 2-0 down, and my two CMs have low attacking work-rates (something I've never paid attention to before), and just couldn't get forward and create passing targets.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again... I can't help but feel that the game has so much potential. The variety of results (I got beat 3-1 by Leeds on the first day of the league season) is absolutely fantastic, and this is the only version of FIFA I've played (with sliders) where the adjustments to gameplay for a realistic experience are so minimal (I'm even playing on "normal" speed now, not "slow").

All I need to do is learn how to dribble. I really hate dribbling in FIFA. Just can't wrap my head around the "trick stick"...

I decided to bully you today Chris :D

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again... I can't help but feel that the game has so much potential.

Indeed! That's what I've been thinking since FIFA 16. It could become the Ultimate Football game, worthy of not releasing another version every again, just quick roster updates throughout the year, if they JUST decided to step the hell up and simply improved this a little bit and also added a little bit of that

All I need to do is learn how to dribble. I really hate dribbling in FIFA. Just can't wrap my head around the "trick stick"...

You just can't. Dribbling can't be done in FIFA 18.
Believe me, I tried. I tried tweaking parameters and files. You can only improve it so much. But it's a core problem there that I hope to see fixed in FIFA 19 because it could be a game changer.
The only thing stopping me from converting to FIFA 100% is precisely that: The dribbling.
Well, actually, it's 3 things: The (no)dribbling, tufs/pitches and player models.

Back
Top Bottom