FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

For all its problems, I really like the dribbling in FIFA 18. And I find it's the best way to draw fouls around the box. I never use the right stick. Never have in a FIFA game. I don't see any need to and it makes the game feel more realistic to me. All that said, I still prefer to play FIFA 16 over 18. Best FIFA ever, in my opinion.

A) They are so good to watch. Brilliant.
B) How the hell do you find people playing manual on Seasons? What platform?

Thanks. You can find more on my youtube channel if you wish: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC38ipvcznC1eQfnkPRI_WQA?view_as=subscriber

I'm on PS4, but I rarely find manual players in Seasons, and these days I try less and less to bother because of the long wait times. So the vast majority (90%+) of Seasons & Co-ops clips are against assisted players. Thankfully I have a healthy friend list of fellow FUMA players so I can often play FUMA vs FUMA friendly matches.

A) They are so good to watch. Brilliant.
B) How the hell do you find people playing manual on Seasons? What platform?

On PS4 its actually pretty easy to find people in Seasons, but most of them play with 5* teams, so you also have to play with top team of turn the team strenght filter off and in the evening youll get a game fast. Before the WC2018 update you could find even 4,5* star teams game, but then the players split, half of them are playing WC and the seconf half "classic" Seasons.
But no chance (with team strenght filter on) to find a game for 3,5* or 4* teams :( Thats a shame, in PES full manual players love to play with low teams, cant really understand why in FIFA all play with top teams.
It would be awesome to have lobbies back, it would be so much easier for manual players to get a good game.

I ve stopped playing fifa 18 online, when i go for competition in ultimate team i play a game, and i get cheated by a team which is lower overall then my team, which is 84, simply my defenders don t want to defend and they becoming lazy, i can t explain it, i feel cheated, i stopped this rubbish in fifa 18 ultimate team after 100 hrs in it buying and selling,only to find only way to qualify is by having ronaldo,messi,maradona in your team..

lol, its actually not fuma when you have turned fifa trainer on :P Its a joke from EA that you can have turned this shit on in Seasons.

The trainer is a visual UI.

It has nothing to do with manual or assisted controls.

When you play full manual controls with FIFA Trainer turned on, you still have to manually aim every shot and pass.

lol, its actually not fuma when you have turned fifa trainer on :P Its a joke from EA that you can have turned this shit on in Seasons.
The trainer is a visual UI.

It has nothing to do with manual or assisted controls.
Just to add, I don't see anything wrong with the guides even during gameplay, personally. You're not getting assistance, you might be able to put the line on the player you want to pass to but an opposition player might still intercept, or the pass target might be running forward and not have chance to abort his run and come back.

I absolutely love the guides - I have them on even when playing assisted/semi just so I can see if I'm pushing the stick in the direction that my brain is intending (I'm shockingly far off sometimes)... Great addition to the game IMO.

Joonloop: I know its only visual, but it gives you a massive, huge advantage against people who have turned it off. Because you know where you are aiming :) This shoud not be possible in Seasons. I have no problem with it in friendlies though.

Just to add, I don't see anything wrong with the guides even during gameplay, personally. You're not getting assistance, you might be able to put the line on the player you want to pass to but an opposition player might still intercept, or the pass target might be running forward and not have chance to abort his run and come back.

I absolutely love the guides - I have them on even when playing assisted/semi just so I can see if I'm pushing the stick in the direction that my brain is intending (I'm shockingly far off sometimes)... Great addition to the game IMO.

Yeah, I'm very glad they are in too. I think it was PES2013 that was the first to actually a visual guide, but you had to manually activate it with L2. I used to tape down the button so that guide would always be showing lol.

Joonloop: I know its only visual, but it gives you a massive, huge advantage against people who have turned it off. Because you know where you are aiming :) This shoud not be possible in Seasons. I have no problem with it in friendlies though.

If you know it's only visual then you should know that it has no bearing on controls being assisted or manual.

As for advantages, I agree it gives some advantage. But personally I think the Trainer makes the game a better 1:1 representation of real football compared to it being off. Because real players have more control of their body and accuracy then an analogue stick with no guide. With trainer turned on you still have to aim properly and be quick about it if you want to get a quick pass off, but it also provides you with the ability to better fine adjust some passes and shots, which I think is more realistic. Even the camera angles plays a big role in this - play full manual on broadcast camera and see how unrealistically difficult it is to play a match of football, compared to a real player who only needs to orient themself only around themself (obviously).

There are also different types of Trainers too. FIFA18 allows you see a long "guide line", for example. I still think FIFA16 has the best Trainer though, because the "guide line" was very short, but it also provided a circle around your player with 4 little gaps to allow you properly oriented north, east, south, and west, like so:

image.img.jpg

If you disagree that the Trainer make for a more realistic experience then thats fine and we could argue the merits of each position.

But if you inherently disagree with the concept of on-screen guides, then I would counter with the argument that things like radar, stamina bar, and player indicator are all already in the game and make the game better, because there is certain information that needs to be transmitted to the player and it can't always necessarily be achieved through pure "gameplay" - sometimes it just needs to be communicated through overlayed UI.

In first person shooters we use on-screen crosshairs to orient ourselves because in the game we don't have access to all the complex measurements that our own body makes in real life. Do cross hairs make 1st and 3rd person shooters more or less realistic? Do they harm or improve the gaming experience?

Last edited:
Having the absolute best time on this at the minute as Bolton in the Championship (I posted a few videos last week in the videos thread, tempted to upload more but I don't think there's a huge amount of interest - understandably so)...

As with every football game ever, you have to overlook the faults (and you have to really love the stuff that makes it different, or you have no reason to keep playing). If I'm honest, I think 17 is still probably a better game (less pacey, less skatey, less direct AI).

FIFA 18's "real tactics" (I forget what they called it) for the AI are so bluntly implemented - I just played Barnsley, who I'm guessing are set to "long ball", and it's all they do, no matter what. BUT, at least some teams do play differently from each other. (Even if half the league don't.)

If the new tactics in 19 make a difference to the AI, I think I'll be happy for another year.

I've gone from grinding out 5 games in a row (20th) to winning a couple, after a little cup run (beating Liverpool's kids and Newcastle's kids before getting toppled by West Brom's full side in the last 16) and now I'm in January, I can start to build a team. It feels so satisfying to hold off a striker for a while, let alone win a tackle, let alone score a goal.

I read the other thread about FIFA 16 but remember not liking the demo so will give that a miss. FIFA 18 though, I think I will try to learn this year. On XB, it feels clunky - either due to the controller or cos I don't know the controls well.

But those FUMA goals above have me interested enough to learn more.

The laser guide is the way the learn and i'm glad it was visible in the vids above as it acts as a learning tool. nice

3 weeks ago when the English Premier league started I updated all the Premiere English squads in 18 and also the Championship 3 that gained promotion Fulham Cardiff Wolves and it was so seamless. players that I cynically thought would never be there were like that new kid for Arsenal Mattéo Guendouzi his stats were shizz and I didn't bother boosting him but the option was there if I cared enough. I just wanted updated rosters 18 still has so much life left in it that I could wait till Xmas for 19.

Last edited:
After being on a massive retro Pes journey on PS3 for a few months I tested my FIFA 18 (TV went down shitter last night, bought a new 4k One today)
I was pleasantly surprised how well it played, haven't played FIFA in months,probably 3 weeks before the WC .

Gonna give it some love,and see if it holds up

Off topic I could easily go down memory lane with 11 and 13PES if I had a PS3.

PES13 was truly a 2 piece with the biscuit.
Remember Rooney????? individualty was really pronounced in that gem.

Off topic I could easily go down memory lane with 11 and 13PES if I had a PS3.

PES13 was truly a 2 piece with the biscuit.
Remember Rooney????? individualty was really pronounced in that gem.
Started out on 11,then 12,now both 12&13.
My PS3 was bought just for that reason,buying and playing old games.
I'm really liking 12 a lot,flew under my radar when came out.
Very good game
Plans are to buy a PS2 as well.
Good balance when modern games gets dull

42 but I might as well be 24 since everyone wants to tell how old they are

Yeah old guy syndrome sometimes I like to go to the CPU and go Mario 64 and PES6 just cause I feel like it, and I swear I go back to being 20 years and 30 old all over againThe classics will never die. Nor should they!!!!

Will not have FIFA19 till it's released might even wait because 18 still has a couple of bullets in the chamber, and as much as I like the skill gap that manual vs auto presents my settings for the last 8 years has been manual everything except for semi shot semi pass.

42 but I might as well be 24 since everyone wants to tell how old they are

Yeah old guy syndrome sometimes I like to go to the CPU and go Mario 64 and PES6 just cause I feel like it, and I swear I go back to being 20 years and 30 old all over againThe classics will never die. Nor should they!!!!
I hear you mate,years spent on those old games.
There's a lot of people going back and playing them again,still stands out,eespecially now that the focus,on both games are tw more online based gaming or aesthetics rather than solid gameplay.
I'm ok with FIFA 16-17-18 though,solid games.
But they're no classics (16 maybe)
Looking forward to get my second season going with Mönchengladbach.
(Tells you how much 18 I played)

Yeah I remember 11 months ago crying about Leganes kicking my but that was only because I never played FIFA17 so the mechanics on my part were all the way off fast forward almost a year and I am only on my second season with that same Real Madrid CM file. That dam Wurzburg file grabbed my attention because of the challenge of pulling up a 3rd tier team. Now I have went back to my old Real file and am patiently waiting for 19.

Played a few games on my Villa save.
Championship and below has always been fun with FIFA.
To bad the freekicks aren't there,otherwise I had a great time playing it.
Been a long time not playing FIFA and it has so many good elements in it.
To afraid to update it to,since my sliders are alright

My OCD and FIFA Data base is a deadly combination. Watching the Liverpool vs Leicester match. I see this kid Ghezzall playing and couldn't remember adding to Leicester him when I tried to update all Prem squads 3 weeks ago when the league first started.

In game search function couldn't register his name so I did a Google search on his last team, see that it was Monaco go there and there he is switch him over to Leicester then remembered that I never switched Leon Goretzka to Bayern Munich.

Oh breaking news
PSG sign Stoke's Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Bayern Munich's Juan Bernat. Got to update PSG. Man I hated seeing Stoke go down the Rory Delap days seem so long ago. Moting didn't have real face for Stoke in 18 his face really should be updated for 19.

I don't know about you guys but with 18 having so much life left with the world cup mode and 19 being a whole new game. I will skip out on FIFA 20 entirely and just wait for 21 when the French league and Italian get the same love that the Spanish league is getting this year.

Happy gaming everyone!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Why not just show the same level of detail to the French German Italian league, as they have done for the English and Spanish league. Stadiums, Kits, and Faces primarily!!! then hit me with the micro transaction/subscription service that EA will inevitably do. From here on out Physical disk is the only way to go. Digital download was so convenient for it's time but the way these companies like to stick it to the consumer I can see buying the physical copy which has built in resale value anyway!!!!!! is the only way to go.

Having the absolute best time on this at the minute as Bolton in the Championship (I posted a few videos last week in the videos thread, tempted to upload more but I don't think there's a huge amount of interest - understandably so)...

As with every football game ever, you have to overlook the faults (and you have to really love the stuff that makes it different, or you have no reason to keep playing). If I'm honest, I think 17 is still probably a better game (less pacey, less skatey, less direct AI).

FIFA 18's "real tactics" (I forget what they called it) for the AI are so bluntly implemented - I just played Barnsley, who I'm guessing are set to "long ball", and it's all they do, no matter what. BUT, at least some teams do play differently from each other. (Even if half the league don't.)

If the new tactics in 19 make a difference to the AI, I think I'll be happy for another year.

I've gone from grinding out 5 games in a row (20th) to winning a couple, after a little cup run (beating Liverpool's kids and Newcastle's kids before getting toppled by West Brom's full side in the last 16) and now I'm in January, I can start to build a team. It feels so satisfying to hold off a striker for a while, let alone win a tackle, let alone score a goal.

Are you using any sliders, Chris? Semi-assisted, manual or assisted passing? :)

Edit - I just realized I'm in the FIFA 18 thread, thought it was 19! hah.

Back
Top Bottom