FIFA 18 World Cup Add-on - Discussion Thread

Apparently according to EA

Pickford is a CB

369139.jpg
LOL
A good addition for Everton's defence for the next season.Still better than A.Williams and Holgate.

Had a few games just now and it's just horrible playing the AI. All the same bullshit as 18 has had since day one. Playing Tunisia (as England) and they just constantly smash the ball to the striker (perfectly), who lays it back, straight back to the striker again, lays it back... Until there's a goal.

So devoid of team identity, so boring.

I was hoping for gameplay changes.

I feel ya.
Just won the WC with Argentina (had to go against my every instinct regarding the very out of date squads and plaed anyway) but never feel so unexcited at winning a tournament in a game before.

FIFA needs to step up. In more than just one way.
I'll say the same thing I said when FIFA 18 come out: Player behave like they don't want to be there.

It's like all of them are Ozils all of a sudden.

So how is it?
Haven’t downloaded it yet,but I’ll have a look at it later.
Good thing it’s possible to alter groups etc.
Only seen videos so far,looked a bit dark?
Yeah it does look a bit dark but it's down to personal taste. Also it doesn't play bad with the Operation Sports slider set I'm currently using and the speed set to "slow". I've only played a match against Belgium though so I cannot tell if the CPU-controlled teams play differently from each other. What I know is that Belgium for example used to attack from the left with Hazard rather than from the other side, but it could just have been an impression. You know, maybe I'm just seeing things I'd want to see, sort of a confirmation bias.
There are some things that grind my gears about call-ups though: not only they're not correct but I'm even willing to turn a blind eye to that, but they exceed the 23-men squads for the qualified teams and on top of that you're only allowed to bring 7 players on the bench (as opposed to 12 that should be the correct number if I recall correctly).
On top of that, you're not forced to stick to your 23-men selection during all the World Cup as far as I can see: you can decide to bring in player #25, #25 and so on even once the tournament has begun (some say they have played against CPU sides fielding players with 30 or greater).

This kinda ruins the single player experience to me.

Had a few games just now and it's just horrible playing the AI. All the same bullshit as 18 has had since day one. Playing Tunisia (as England) and they just constantly smash the ball to the striker (perfectly), who lays it back, straight back to the striker again, lays it back... Until there's a goal.

So devoid of team identity, so boring.

I was hoping for gameplay changes.

This was never going to happen unfortunately.

EA are the absolute masters of lazy programming and not doing things properly, you get a 35 man squad for the WC and 7 subs, surely this would of been a priority to get right.

It is exactly FIFA's problem the last 4/5 years they don't give a shite about single player experience, they just care about selling game cards in Ultimate Team.
The gameplay won't be fixed either as the game play decisions are based on a select few of top online players who provide EA with feedback on which direction they feel it should go - Hence the game out the box is normally slow and slightly different, then a few patches later it turns into a massive counter attack fest.

It is a shame for me as I can't stand playing the game online, due to everyone playing on FULL-AUTO it frustrates me as every pass is perfect tika-taka, and every shot goes on target - But this is just my opinion, as I know a lot of people play this way, but online it shouldn't be allowed and finding match making for Semi and Manual controls takes about 5/10 minutes before you find a match + Everyone is always Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG.

I shouldn't complain too much though it is free DLC, and has all the stadiums and match graphics - Cant't expect much more than this for free.
But personally would of preferred, £10-£15 DLC with more commentary (How many times do I have to hear about the Neymar goal at the last WC?) proper squad rules and individual team chants, playing as England there is no chanting or brass band just generic sounds. I can't remember which FIFA it was probably 13 or 14 when you used to be able to actually add your own chants which was very nice.
It is a WC there should be an atmosphere.

But anyway mini rant over, now time to join the FIFA 19 thread and moan about how shite Career Mode is.

Haven't tried this yet. Didn't know about it until now. But Yea having improper squads is silly. They can ignore Sp all they want, but seriously how time consuming is it to limit squad teams to 23? Half an HR?

I'm hoping by June 4 we'll have the proper ones updated.

Haven't tried this yet. Didn't know about it until now. But Yea having improper squads is silly. They can ignore Sp all they want, but seriously how time consuming is it to limit squad teams to 23? Half an HR?

I'm hoping by June 4 we'll have the proper ones updated.

I do expect it to be patched once the squads are fully announced - It is incredibly lazy and shoddy work by EA to not have this implemented from the beginning.

You should be prompted before the WC to use the correct squad or make changes to the squad and then be able to select anyone and not just the ones EA have pre-selected.
As TBH Jayden Stockley fully deserves to be included in the England squad.

I do expect it to be patched once the squads are fully announced - It is incredibly lazy and shoddy work by EA to not have this implemented from the beginning.

You should be prompted before the WC to use the correct squad or make changes to the squad and then be able to select anyone and not just the ones EA have pre-selected.
Can't they be done in edit mode even? I'm only familiar with PES' edit mode.

Yeah it does look a bit dark but it's down to personal taste. Also it doesn't play bad with the Operation Sports slider set I'm currently using and the speed set to "slow". I've only played a match against Belgium though so I cannot tell if the CPU-controlled teams play differently from each other. What I know is that Belgium for example used to attack from the left with Hazard rather than from the other side, but it could just have been an impression. You know, maybe I'm just seeing things I'd want to see, sort of a confirmation bias.
There are some things that grind my gears about call-ups though: not only they're not correct but I'm even willing to turn a blind eye to that, but they exceed the 23-men squads for the qualified teams and on top of that you're only allowed to bring 7 players on the bench (as opposed to 12 that should be the correct number if I recall correctly).
On top of that, you're not forced to stick to your 23-men selection during all the World Cup as far as I can see: you can decide to bring in player #25, #25 and so on even once the tournament has begun (some say they have played against CPU sides fielding players with 30 or greater).

This kinda ruins the single player experience to me.
Wow,that’s some strange setup,you shouldn’t have the option of bringing in other player.
That would be an issue that’s gonna bug me for sure.
Is that because it’s a FUT driven product?
Haven’t downloaded it yet,probably have to,if I’m gonna be able to play FIFA’s other contents
At the same time I set up restrictions playing other games,so if I play this one,I’m sticking with a 23 man squad.

Btw,can’t shake that image of DDR when we played the derby Della capitale,one of the worst faces I’ve seen:)

The attention to detail kills me: Jose Fonte as Portugal's captain instead of the lesser-known striker who has been captain of the NT for about a decade, an obscure player called Cristiano Ronaldo. Ever heard of him?
There was a PC update this morning. It seems they updated the database because Ronaldo is Portugal's captain now.

There was a PC update this morning. It seems they updated the database because Ronaldo is Portugal's captain now.
Let me guess? Someone faced Portugal in a FUT Offline tournament, noticed that Fonte was the captain and complained to EA. They're absolutely blazing fast to solve issues if they're found in FUT.
Meanwhile we're stuck with the "7 on the bench" rule which basically is like Codemasters releasing a Formula One game with the rolling start instead of the classic one with the lights going out.

Exactly!
I remember FIFA 98 RTWC before starting the actual WC you had to select the 23 player that would take part in your squad. It was great. You had like a 100 players from the Nationality you chose to represent and you could from the list anyway you wanted.

No. Because FIFA's edit mode is very different, mate. Plus in this particular case, the DLC uses a separate DB. So if you go into the Edit Mode and update the squads yourself, it only takes effect within the usual FIFA game modes, not in the World Cup mode.

In terms of kits, EA did a pretty good job I think. I only found a few issues:
  • Germany away uses green shorts ingame. Actually that's plausible but it was presented with white shorts.
  • Russia away should be white-blue-red instead of all-white.
  • Iran uses the generic Adidas font instead of their teamwear font.
  • Morocco uses the generic Adidas font instead of their own font.
  • Croatia home has no chest numbers because FIFA 18 reuses back numbers as chest numbers so you end up with a red number on a red background.

Croatia home has no chest numbers because FIFA 18 reuses back numbers as chest numbers so you end up with a red number on a red background.
This has been going on for years now... I mean, I still remember the Spanish GK and Italy away in the Euro 2012 DLC for FIFA 12 which had exactly the same problem.
They never bothered to fix it since, go figure.

Italy is in the world cup mode.

When selecting teams, you can choose between qualified and non qualified teams. There are only few non qualified teams:

Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Greece, Norway, Ireland, Romania, Scotland, Turkey, Wales, United States, China PR, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Canada, Chile, New Zealand.

Huh, I really can't figure out this game, I could not find an option to choose any other teams than the final Tournament ones. Then again, it took me an age to figure out how to start a new tournament instead of continuing a saved one. That "right stick to choose between options" always trips me up.

No. In edit menu, you can't even select the World cup teams lol.

One of the worst world cup DLC/Game. Every team plays the same and star players doesn't stand out at all. Boring, repetitive and 1-dimensional.

I think it's the worst world cup game EA made so far. It's playable but that's it. Nothing charming is there.

Huh, I really can't figure out this game, I could not find an option to choose any other teams than the final Tournament ones. Then again, it took me an age to figure out how to start a new tournament instead of continuing a saved one. That "right stick to choose between options" always trips me up.

When you replace a team in the group menu, you can select non qualified teams. Let me know if you figure this out. If not, I'll send you screenshot to make it clear.

I might buy this because Konami have nothing for this world cup. Not even a DLC mode like 4 years ago. We have something big planned at PES Universe but it won't be to do with 'this' world cup ;)

Gameplay is still the usual garbage but I've been away from this game so long I want to keep the tricks which i mastered years ago still in my head. FIFA isn't about gameplay anyway its about the atmosphere and experience.

I'm actually enjoying this, no changes that i can see the same keeper jersey colour clash that EA keep ignoring. And the ball is still a size 4.

I hope it doesn't. The offline part of the FIFA 14 World Cup DLC is still playable today (on Xbox One at least).

In terms of kits, EA did a pretty good job I think. I only found a few issues:

• Germany away uses green shorts ingame. Actually that's plausible but it was presented with white shorts.
    Russia away should be white-blue-red instead of all-white.
    Iran uses the generic Adidas font instead of their teamwear font.
    Morocco uses the generic Adidas font instead of their own font.
    Croatia home has no chest numbers because FIFA 18 reuses back numbers as chest numbers so you end up with a red number on a red background.

Great observations but at least this time around there's no unlicensed or fake kits which used to break the immersion for me. Would've liked a lot more new faces though especially for smaller nations.

Konami this a superb job accommodating almost all the squads in the Euro 2016 DLC as far as faces. And that's the smaller company!

And what to say?

I download this add-on on my PS4 and finally got Croatia, but really
disapointed from EA Sports. No real chanting for all teams, maybe few, faces from some players(Croatian) isn't real
gameplay is not bad, but could be better ...

After playing several hours went back to PES 2018 and it felt very refreshing. Felt a lot more like football. Flawed and all.

If only there was less space and more fouls.....

The WC addition truly lacks emotion. I'm playing the cup with England and we reached the final by beating Spain in the semi....the squad is not even cheering at all.

This is the WC!! I really don't get the feeling that i'm in the knockout phase.

yeah as long as I waited for this update I am pretty much done with it already. Going back to PES for my World Cup fix. Takes a bit longer to set up obviously but if you want a few runs with the same team you can just set it up and keep that save file for future runs.

I'll give EA credit for including the Viking chant/clap thing when you win with Iceland, but I just struggle to find joy in Fifa at all.

It seems like todays squad update added some players missing from the preliminary squads. Germany for example now also has Reus and Petersen in its squad.

The WC addition truly lacks emotion. I'm playing the cup with England and we reached the final by beating Spain in the semi....the squad is not even cheering at all.

This is the WC!! I really don't get the feeling that i'm in the knockout phase.
Because England will not be in knockout phase... I took Brazil and I felt it. Maybe they forgot to make cutsceens for England. I feel like you're guys talking about different game. I really like it on pro 4k hdr. Even the gameplay is better.

Back
Top Bottom