FIFA 19 Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your tastes, I suppose. I haven't enjoyed shooting/scoring in PES since PES 2013 (with Yair/Jenkey's tools to make it less floaty). That's been one of my biggest bugbears in recent years.

Yeah, I really meant passing more than shooting, but still you find the ball physics a problem in PES 2019 shooting? The physics to me are solid though there's issues with variety, weak foot shots, the way error works, headers, etc. But I feel like the physics (except for headers) are pretty spot on.

Yeah, I really meant passing more than shooting, but still you find the ball physics a problem in PES 2019 shooting? The physics to me are solid though there's issues with variety, weak foot shots, the way error works, headers, etc. But I feel like the physics (except for headers) are pretty spot on.

Passing feels fantastic in PES 2019. I suppose I should have specified that it's the lack of shot variety and the intangible feel of scoring that irks me as opposed to the raw physics. Back to FIFA 19, I do feel like some of the shots are a bit zippy. That, and headers might be a little too effective.

Passing feels fantastic in PES 2019. I suppose I should have specified that it's the lack of shot variety and the intangible feel of scoring that irks me as opposed to the raw physics. Back to FIFA 19, I do feel like some of the shots are a bit zippy. That, and headers might be a little too effective.

Totally agree. About both games. With the FIFA demo, headers are definitely overpowered. I'm not sure yet but they might have been toned down slightly from the beta but they still feel OP. And crosses are way too assisted. Kinda funny how headers are like the complete opposite between the two games.

But just about all aspects of play in FIFA has some animations that are a bit too zippy. That and the stick figure player models are my biggest issue.

I will say FIFA has never looked so good up close. The best faces are now crazy photo realistic. But why does the game not look nearly so impressive when actually playing the game?

After playing the game quite abit now I have realised what I think is really bad about the demo.

This post is pretty negative, but please note overall I do think the game is a big improvement over FIFA 18 in certain areas and a big step back in other. In general though it is a better game.

The main thing I hate is from the video below at the 70 minute mark and then about the 80th minute mark when the AI gets a corner and does the same thing, don't watch the rest it is a shite match.
But the Juve player gets the ball and pretty much walks through my team, with no collision detection.

The other thing which I don't have a video for at the moment but is the constant stunning goals the AI keeps scoring it won't do any build up play, it will volley it into the top corner from outside the area every time and will sometimes do a skill move to flick the ball to volley it into the top corner.

Legendary seems like a cheat at present for the AI--others have mentioned it, but they are able to hit swinging volleys into the top corner with ease far too often. World class is a bit better...haven't been able to play much but had a few matches that were really enjoyable and paced well enough. Looking forward to the full game, slow speed, and finding a slider set that will fine tune some of the areas of frustration.

Legendary seems like a cheat at present for the AI--others have mentioned it, but they are able to hit swinging volleys into the top corner with ease far too often. World class is a bit better...haven't been able to play much but had a few matches that were really enjoyable and paced well enough. Looking forward to the full game, slow speed, and finding a slider set that will fine tune some of the areas of frustration.

Think I've only seen a couple moments of BS from the CPU. For me Legendary is still too easy and I wish they'd included the Ultimate difficulty level in the demo.

The ball physics do seem quite a bit improved. I think the problem comes when you've been playing PES 2019 these last few weeks, going to FIFA is a bit of a cold shower when it comes to the ball physics and player models.

Someone mentioned that it feels like the ball is moving along ice. When I first read that I was like bullshit, what an exaggeration. But then I played the demo and after playing PES these past weeks, I could totally see what the person was talking about.

The ball physics I think are improved but passing and shooting just isn't nearly the satisfying experience that is in PES, and I'd guess that's why you hear so much criticism.
THIS!!

Passing yes but shooting is far more advanced, varied and ultimately more realistic in FIFA 19
Completely agree. Shooting on PES is really odd; you have very little control over the outcome unless you use an entirely different shooting mechanic on Advanced, and finesse shots are horrendous; incresibly unnatural arc on the ball and weirdly floaty.

Regardless of shooting assist level on FIFA, you have control over the power, height and style of shot.

Played this quite a bit more today and I'm feeling better about it.

Toughest thing for me to get used to is just how hyper responsive they've made players. It's like they now have the close dribble ability that used to be done with LB (or is RB?) plus with the speed at the lower end of what you used to get out of the sprint trigger.

I wouldn't mind it so much but I'm seeing things that are divorced from physics. For example I just scored a great goal with Aguero but it didn't look quite right. In replay it showed that Aguero touched the ball with his right foot then took a shot with his right foot all in the same unbelievable motion. Stuff like that just sucks.

It's just too bad they gave in to all the people who've been wanting more responsiveness and quicker turning.

I played four game and thought it was great, then the next four were awful. Where it had seemed slow and measured, it all of a sudden felt ping pong and boring. Gave it a rest and went back next morning with the first game great again but the following games were back to awful. I have bought the last 3 Fifa's despite not enjoying them so I could play online with my mates and it always seems to be the same to me. Great for awhile and then it turns to something I hate. Gutted, as my first impression was this was going to be brilliant. I think its because I play it like I want for awhile but the game sucks me in and I lose focus and end up playing the Fifa way, otherwise its a chore to play decent football. I'll see if I can rent it when it comes out and see what the final version is like.

I don't know if someone already wrote this but the demo is older than the Gamescom version and probably the beta. So like every year the full version of the game will be completely different. That's also the conclusion of the people which had the chance to play the final version in Berlin. So that's the reason why I only played five matches and deleted the demo afterwards.

Still enjoy the demo. I'm sure that final game on slow setting with a few adjustments will be fine for me.
Need to tone down the shooting a bit, but that can also be done partly with sliders by adjusting shot speed and accuracy.

Right now i'm seeing too many shots going into the topcorner.
Also seeing that really good strikers such as Griezman can get a shot off too quickly.
Looks unrealistic as there's hardly any time between them receiving the ball and getting the shot off, looks especially bad when viewing the replay.

In fact, a lot of goals look uglier in replay because of the bad footplanting and sliding of the players.
I can live with it though, sofar i'm having fun with this game so unless something changes in the coming week i'm going to buy this one.

After playing the game quite abit now I have realised what I think is really bad about the demo.

This post is pretty negative, but please note overall I do think the game is a big improvement over FIFA 18 in certain areas and a big step back in other. In general though it is a better game.

The main thing I hate is from the video below at the 70 minute mark and then about the 80th minute mark when the AI gets a corner and does the same thing, don't watch the rest it is a shite match.
But the Juve player gets the ball and pretty much walks through my team, with no collision detection.

The other thing which I don't have a video for at the moment but is the constant stunning goals the AI keeps scoring it won't do any build up play, it will volley it into the top corner from outside the area every time and will sometimes do a skill move to flick the ball to volley it into the top corner.

I can't believe that is on slow! Can see why people are saying it's too fast. Makes me wonder whether the slow setting is actually going to solve the problem for people in the final game, if that video is anything to go by it may not.

I can't believe that is on slow! Can see why people are saying it's too fast. Makes me wonder whether the slow setting is actually going to solve the problem for people in the final game, if that video is anything to go by it may not.

I reckon slider tweaking will be necessary, just like with FIFA 18. Turning down first touch control, for whatever reason, slowed 18 down quite a lot.

I just hope stamina isn't linked to acceleration as it used to be, I'd love to be able to knock sprint speed and stamina sliders down to mid 40s but in past Fifas that means players never get tired which is more annoying to me.

Legendary didn't seem particularly hard for me, but I was using a couple of assists.

quite liked the pace of the game, passing and shooting physics felt nice. tactical defending i swear i will never understand how to use contain... game doesn't seem as ice skaty as i always remember FIFA to be
Yes first thing I noticed was that there is much more inertia between the player and the pitch, which is something EA have struggled with ever since implementing 360 movement. It always felt a little bit like I was playing on a concrete pitch, or on friction-less grass, but this feels better.

Passing yes but shooting is far more advanced, varied and ultimately more realistic in FIFA 19

Exactly. The variety of goals I have scored in this demo should be illegal.The odd shot and some headers seem a bit overpowered though. Hopefully that will be improved in the final game.

Exactly. The variety of goals I have scored in this demo should be illegal.The odd shot and some headers seem a bit overpowered though. Hopefully that will be improved in the final game.

Agree with the first part. Seen such a wide variety of goals already from 30 yard pile-drivers to scuffed shinned efforts whilst off balance. It just feels so beautiful to play. I've got the old ISS Pro Evolution 2 feeling back.

Loving the demo, even though it is a short game. I've got the process of changing to Alternate controls, turning off the training, changing to Legendary and changing camera to Coop down to a T now and so I can be up and running really quickly. After each game, i just read my phone while hammering the X button which gets back into a game in no time with random teams.

Got the Xbox EA Access version to play for 10 hours from the 20th and so that will keep me busy until the PS4 version comes.

So many nice things I keep seeing in this version. When passing to your winger and you want to lay it off to your wingback, press L2 and pass and they will do a really nice layoff animation (if the player has the ability). Looks stunning. Have seen several nice backheels too which look great.

I don't understand the Fifa ball physics are all wrong argument I see some people say on here. I think some people are just used to PES and think that is normal. Can someone post some videos which show the physics being wrong please? When i watch replays, the spin on the ball and direction etc. looks fine.

Some of the utterly amazing goals which I have seen on youtube will be getting scored against beginner level CPU for sure. Not only does every shot go on target if you play at that difficulty, but the CPU won't track you down allowing you space to shoot and also the opposition goalie will let anything go through.

Got the Xbox EA Access version to play for 10 hours from the 20th and so that will keep me busy until the PS4 version comes.
Sadly enough, I can see me doing this as well for £20, especially when you can download a tonne of other games free (even though I've already downloaded most of them from the last time I joined).

It's that or pay £20 extra for the Ultimate Edition on PS4, to play from the 25th (five days later)...

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but the new fake shot system (X+O or whatever) is awesome!
It's like in the old PES games or even better. It's cuts inside or outside a lot better. It's edgy. Sharper. Hard to explain. Love it.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but the new fake shot system (X+O or whatever) is awesome!
It's like in the old PES games or even better. It's cuts inside or outside a lot better. It's edgy. Sharper. Hard to explain. Love it.

It really is nice eh? Also I like it when you are attacking and a defender does a large diving slide tackle to try and hook his foot round the ball and you just change direction leaving him on the deck.

Sadly enough, I can see me doing this as well for £20, especially when you can download a tonne of other games free (even though I've already downloaded most of them from the last time I joined).

It's that or pay £20 extra for the Ultimate Edition on PS4, to play from the 25th (five days later)...

I normally just let it auto-renew. Decent value for money. Also have Game Pass which gives me a tonne of games including the new Forza 4.

Fifa using an Xbox controller feels a bit weird cos I'm not used to it but it will do for learning the basics of the new game .
10 hours won't last long so I won't waste any time doing FUT or anything, just gameplay all the way

You should post some videos of this terrible AI that is ruining it for you 'cause I'm not seeing what you're talking about. For me it's night and day from PES in terms of AI.
This isn't a great example, but I was playing in my lunch hour and remembered I said I'd capture it next time I saw it. There's a LOT of first-time passing leading to first-time shots but the shots usually fly in, and I'm left feeling like I feel playing PES - i.e. "there is nothing I could do to stop that".

Check out 1:10 in the video below for another silly-looking example.

Also, @Daisuk - I uploaded this for you. I'm playing the AI here but doesn't it look much slower than it feels when playing the game? This is just me, playing the AI on Legendary.

Doesn't it look great? And really slow. But believe me, it isn't - it doesn't feel it...

Also... Meant to say. I've been experimenting with setting my team AI to different levels. In the above video, I'm playing with Professional AI, against Legendary AI.

It makes absolutely no difference, I think - other than defenders closing down a lot less as you go below Professional. That really is all I can see. Which is disappointing.

I can constantly dominate any team with Roma. I'm playing teams who are 10%-20% better than me in terms of attributes and I don't feel they're better in the slightest.

Last edited:
This isn't a great example, but I was playing in my lunch hour and remembered I said I'd capture it next time I saw it. There's a LOT of first-time passing leading to first-time shots but the shots usually fly in, and I'm left feeling like I feel playing PES - i.e. "there is nothing I could do to stop that".

Check out 1:10 in the video below for another silly-looking example.

Also, @Daisuk - I uploaded this for you. I'm playing the AI here but doesn't it look much slower than it feels when playing the game? This is just me, playing the AI on Legendary.

Doesn't it look great? And really slow. But believe me, it isn't - it doesn't feel it...

Also... Meant to say. I've been experimenting with setting my team AI to different levels. In the above video, I'm playing with Professional AI, against Legendary AI.

It makes absolutely no difference, I think - other than defenders closing down a lot less as you go below Professional. That really is all I can see. Which is disappointing.

I can constantly dominate any team with Roma. I'm playing teams who are 10%-20% better than me in terms of attributes and I don't feel they're better in the slightest.

I think you and I have a very different idea of what constitutes a silly tiki taka passing move. In both your examples Roma made 4 first touch passes - I have no problems with an elite level team like Roma making four first touch passes.

Not saying the level of realism is spot on, but it's all relative to me and these games always are going to allow for a degree of exaggerated realism. And as things go, I don't consider that much an issue.

What's important for me is that unlike PES I don't get that feeling that I'm helpless. For one, those first touch passing moves are longer in PES. In PES on Superstar I counted a move recently in which the CPU did 13 first touch passes before losing possession. In FIFA I'll see short passages like you showed but they don't extend much beyond that. FIFA used to be a lot worse - like PES is now - but seems okay now for me.

I think it'd be a bigger issue if it felt unfair or if the CPU was doing things that we can't do or if I was getting creamed by the CPU. But I'm playing on Legendary in the demo and not losing (I've lost once: BvB vs Juventus). It's probably because these passing moves are not equalling indefensible goals and I'm not losing games that I'm not especially bothered by a quick 4 first touch passing move by an elite level team.

The ball physics do seem quite a bit improved. I think the problem comes when you've been playing PES 2019 these last few weeks, going to FIFA is a bit of a cold shower when it comes to the ball physics and player models.

Someone mentioned that it feels like the ball is moving along ice. When I first read that I was like bullshit, what an exaggeration. But then I played the demo and after playing PES these past weeks, I could totally see what the person was talking about.

The ball physics I think are improved but passing and shooting just isn't nearly the satisfying experience that is in PES, and I'd guess that's why you hear so much criticism.
That was me RE passing on ice.

I think the ball physics are good in terms of if it clips a player the ball will react spot on. But the ball doesn't feel like it has the right weight to it, this is bar far my biggest gripe and is very evident with the ping pong passing.

There is a lot I do like about it. I am mainly impressed with the 50/50 battles and the little moments. Had a nice moment when I was leading against Spurs and they were trying to get back into the game, playing agressive, and I done Dembele with Pogba, and he was determined to get the ball back regardless of what we had to do!! fifa.jpg

It's these little things that I am really appreciating.

I am thinking of getting the game again this year, I think it could be great with some sliders, BUT I do like online play, and Iknow online the sliders won't be used and it will be franctic.

I don't understand the Fifa ball physics are all wrong argument I see some people say on here. I think some people are just used to PES and think that is normal. Can someone post some videos which show the physics being wrong please? When i watch replays, the spin on the ball and direction etc. looks fine.

I think the main thing is the ball doesn't bounce enough with ground passes. And it can look like it's sliding rather than rolling. There's also a bit of an issue where it feels attached to players feet and not as free as it should be.

I certainly wouldn't say it's horrible and sometimes the spin looks quite nice. Passing and ball physics just feel like a downgrade when coming from playing PES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom