FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

The ball physics are a mess, the ball has this constant pull down force to cause an unrealistic heavy bounce on passing. Also I find the players movement the way they react and turn quite lethargic and it makes it difficult to pull off seamless moves between two or more class players. Certainly more random than pes and shooting better than PES but scoring feels less fun because of all the small detail and quality interaction in pes build up to goals

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies.
I've found slider around 20 is a good place atm.

I will also set up my tactics for attacking a and ultra and see if that helps...

The player individuality, ball physics and sense of player movement freedom is very impressive...

The ball physics are a mess, the ball has this constant pull down force to cause an unrealistic heavy bounce on passing. Also I find the players movement the way they react and turn quite lethargic and it makes it difficult to pull off seamless moves between two or more class players. Certainly more random than pes and shooting better than PES but scoring feels less fun because of all the small detail and quality interaction in pes build up to goals

It is.messy yeah, even though I enjoy it!

The interaction is what's missing i agree. Pes has less variable so imagine it's easier to create those interactions...

Also I find the players movement the way they react and turn quite lethargic and it makes it difficult to pull off seamless moves between two or more class players.

In terms of on the ball movement/dribbling or things like 1-2s and what not?

On the ball is a bit cumbersome but Its more how my team mates interact. I've been trying out sliders of my own to make it move somewhat like pes and run freq 100 improves it somewhat and also first touch error around the 90 mark frees the ball up and makes the silly ball bobble less... To early to tell but sometimes these sliders don't act as you'd expect.. I don't want to go down the slider rabbit hole

Still did not got so deep in FIFA 2020 gameplay. Some first observations: Although i am obviously "playing it wrong" , cause if am not still so familiar with FIFA gameplay and i got smashed without being cheated by the AI, i fall in a gap again, Professional difficulty and i win 2-0, 3-0 yet, even if i am not so good and on World Class difficulty i am getting smashed 3-0 no matter the team. I read here that they recently tuned up the difficulty levels, dont know if it has to do with this.

Second observation, on Volta mode, when i use fields that have walls it is not so good for me, it seems mediocre. But the fileds that don't have walls, like a stage i found on Rome where it is a soil-ground field for 5vs5 it is really amusing!!! Don't know if @Madmac79 checked it, but for me Volta on the Rome field is the best combination to enjoy the mode.

I went back to it after seeing a video of Matt's from the Eredivisie (I think), and I just can't replicate that gameplay (even with the OS sliders) with a Premier League team.

I just run freely from one third to the next, no pressure on me whatsoever. @Emroth's trick of pressing RB to call for support (I knew about sending players on runs, but this one is entirely new to me and I'm amazed I didn't know about it) makes it even easier.

FIFA represents the final third beautifully, I think (and that's why I've played it - scoring feels great, it's unparalleled). But the middle of the pitch is just a vast space, and defending has been deleted from the game, all thanks to this 1-on-1 shit (which, again, they added as an "exciting new feature").

If rumours are to be believed, 21 is going to be another follow-up using the same engine and 22 is going to be the first built for the next console generation. So... See you in a year and a half, I guess... Jesus Christ, a year and a half... :CRY:

The game is on sale on PS4, i was thinking about getting it just to play some decent footy in CM or play just regularly since there will be EC this year too, and yeah maybe due to Volta, i liked Fifa Street....but reading through all the comments...made me second think it. Gruesome years for footie games.

A couple of questions:

- What difficulty do you play? I was having challenging games in both Leg and Ultimate. but now I am finding the AI ping pongs the ball a lot. Any way to reduce this with sliders as not to break the AI. Seems WC plays good for me but its a bit on the easy side. Easy but more realistic

-Has Legacy defending changed this years edition? Is it better to use tactical? I usually send a guy to get the ball with legacy defending, but the defender just keeps going and going and past the attacking player and completely misses him

A couple of questions:

- What difficulty do you play? I was having challenging games in both Leg and Ultimate. but now I am finding the AI ping pongs the ball a lot. Any way to reduce this with sliders as not to break the AI. Seems WC plays good for me but its a bit on the easy side. Easy but more realistic

-Has Legacy defending changed this years edition? Is it better to use tactical? I usually send a guy to get the ball with legacy defending, but the defender just keeps going and going and past the attacking player and completely misses him
Secondary press is pointless now, by design. Online players were moaning that it was "AI defending" and "cheating", so all it can be used for now is starting a player running towards the area of the player, before you then "take over" by switching player.

A couple of questions:

I play on Legendary and think the game is enjoyable, but quite easy.
I play on semi everything, as then I normally win by a couple of goals - I tried two games on auto passing and semi shooting and won 7-1 and 5-0.

Ultimate as a skill level is now completely ruined, every player for the CPU has 99 stats and it is beyond a joke.
I played it once and was 4-0 down after 30 minutes on six minute halves.

I was on hardcore mode there.
Was playing on Professional, but with everything set to manual and tactical defending. Only shooting I had on Semi-Assisted. This, together with some altered Matts sliders, to increase overall error and playing in english league 2 was providing me with some proper scrappy matches. There was no ping pong and end to end football there. It was all crap. But really enjoyable crap.. ;)

I had a match for the first time for a couple of months. Southend v Fleetwood and won 10-1 on World Class on FUMA.

Eh what just happened i have never won that easily before.

I was on hardcore mode there.
Was playing on Professional, but with everything set to manual and tactical defending. Only shooting I had on Semi-Assisted. This, together with some altered Matts sliders, to increase overall error and playing in english league 2 was providing me with some proper scrappy matches. There was no ping pong and end to end football there. It was all crap. But really enjoyable crap.. ;)
Think they've made lower leagues,and me playing BL or La Liga quite good,at least Vs how the PL plays,looks like a game of table tennis playing that league.

Are you comfortable with the defending?
Me I'm having a nightmare on WC and above ,CPU just 1-2 me and my non controlled team mates aren't really the sharpest tools in the box.
How do you tackle that?
Or isn't that an issue on professional difficulty?

Think they've made lower leagues,and me playing BL or La Liga quite good,at least Vs how the PL plays,looks like a game of table tennis playing that league.

Are you comfortable with the defending?
Me I'm having a nightmare on WC and above ,CPU just 1-2 me and my non controlled team mates aren't really the sharpest tools in the box.
How do you tackle that?
Or isn't that an issue on professional difficulty?
I thought defending was the best part of that game. Love tactical defending.
Im not talking about controlled AI team mate defending, coz thats non-existent. You have to do everything yourself. But jockeying, waiting for right moment and then boom - that was by far my favourite part! I did watch few clips on youtube with tips on defending and it took a bit of time and patience, but I really liked it.

Im not talking about controlled AI team mate defending, coz thats non-existent. You have to do everything yourself. But jockeying, waiting for right moment and then boom - that was by far my favourite part! I did watch few clips on youtube with tips on defending and it took a bit of time and patience, but I really liked it.
Yeah thats really my point,you have to do everything yourself,would be suicide up front if that applied there as well.
And playing harder difficulties , you're gone with a 1-2 from the CPU if your non controlled defender(s) are out of position etc.
I really don't get that system at all,YouTube videos or not.
But if it's a get use to thing and it's good,then great,don't see it that way.
Cheers

have you tried it in higher difficulties? I don’t know if legacy defending is broken in this years edition but I can’t defend for my life in legacy or tactical. I loaded old FIFA to compare. The ai just passes until they reac h my box and loose possession there. Legendary is just ping pong and I can’t get anywhere close to them. I’ll try to check your videos

I find defending is incredible difficult if you use auto switching.
The computer constantly keeps switching between players closes to the ball, however if you position you control a certain player in defense you can effectively block passing lanes or man mark certain players you know the CPU is going to try and pass too.

The defending situation as a whole, I absolutely hate. The 1-on-1 gameplay they've introduced has destroyed all defensive realism.

I was watching Burnley yesterday and they guarded the edges of the box so well, aggressively double-pressing to prevent crosses being drilled in (with a wall of support behind them), all switched on, looking at each attacking danger and working as a whole. Their box was alive with defensive movement.

I put FIFA on, and you get a line of defenders prettily positioned in a perfect line, standing still. You can't double-press (the secondary press button has effectively been disabled because of the complaints from babies playing FUT about "auto-defending"), and once the defenders are in their perfect formation, they just stand still and watch the ball, waiting for you to take over.

Now... The actual individual defensive mechanics, I really like. I watched Villa v Leicester in the league cup semi-final second-leg the other day, and was struck by - when Grealish had the ball in the final third, and a defender ran out to him - just how well FIFA mimics this interaction. The defender doesn't just run straight to him and win the ball, PES-style. There is a cat-and-mouse battle where the defender stays close, hands behind his back, pressing but not tackling, waiting for the right moment to leap forward.

FIFA *NAILS* that. Can't deny it, and I feel the same as @Emroth - it's so satisfying to win the ball when it requires the right approach and timing.

But everything else about defending is utter shit, IMO. Your non-controlled defenders may as well be table-football (foosball) defenders, i.e. skewered on a huge metal pole.

Your non-controlled defenders may as well be table-football (foosball) defenders, i.e. skewered on a huge metal pole.
:LOL:
This is such a good description! :LOL:

have you tried it in higher difficulties? I don’t know if legacy defending is broken in this years edition but I can’t defend for my life in legacy or tactic
I havent, pal. I bought Fifa very late, after reading a lot about it and watching a lot of videos. I knew what I was getting myself into. I went in with a clear vision of recreating scrappy, full of errors, football from lower leagues. Hence dumbing down AI difficulty and putting all on manual. Even shooting I had on manual at the start, but Fifa has such good variety of shooting that there was no need to be manual there. My players were dreadful without it. :LOL:
As for Legacy defending - I havent used it since F18, where I fell in love with tactical. I did hear, however, that Legacy is very bad in F20, with some "magical" barrier preventing you to get closer to the player, unless you start jockeying and release the contain button.
Im not using contain button at all in F20. And instead of charging at the opponents - I backtrack, covering the goal, waiting for right moment to strike.
Defending in Fifa can be really fun and rewarding, but it requires very careful and cautious approach.

But, like Chris said, Im talking about user defending only. Everything around it is... well... there is nothing around it... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom