FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Defending in Fifa can be really fun and rewarding, but it requires very careful and cautious approach.

But, like Chris said, Im talking about user defending only. Everything around it is... well... there is nothing around it... :LOL:

Especially when (I apologize in advance for making a comparison in this thread) PES' slide tackling is something out of Bizzaro world. FIFA is pretty good about making contextual tackles, with the occasional oddity of them leading with the wrong foot/type of sliding challenge. which hey, happens in real life. Whenever I boot up PES, I'm absolutely terrified of going to ground. It feels like the intentional foul button in FIFA 97 where you straight up butcher the opposition. Might as well be playing Yakuza.

SpecificAromaticBoa-size_restricted.gif

:LOL:
This is such a good description! :LOL:

I havent, pal. I bought Fifa very late, after reading a lot about it and watching a lot of videos. I knew what I was getting myself into. I went in with a clear vision of recreating scrappy, full of errors, football from lower leagues. Hence dumbing down AI difficulty and putting all on manual. Even shooting I had on manual at the start, but Fifa has such good variety of shooting that there was no need to be manual there. My players were dreadful without it. :LOL:
As for Legacy defending - I havent used it since F18, where I fell in love with tactical. I did hear, however, that Legacy is very bad in F20, with some "magical" barrier preventing you to get closer to the player, unless you start jockeying and release the contain button.
Im not using contain button at all in F20. And instead of charging at the opponents - I backtrack, covering the goal, waiting for right moment to strike.
Defending in Fifa can be really fun and rewarding, but it requires very careful and cautious approach.

But, like Chris said, Im talking about user defending only. Everything around it is... well... there is nothing around it... :LOL:

Thanks. I am trying tactical defending and getting to grips with it. I'm still not very good and I get frustrated sometimes. However, I keep booting up because I'm having fun with it.
Are you having success with crossing in pro? I scored one or two headers in my entire season. They just don't seem to reach my dudes or if they do it's all the way to the stands

Are you having success with crossing in pro? I scored one or two headers in my entire season. They just don't seem to reach my dudes or if they do it's all the way to the stands
Havent had much luck with crossing either, tbh.
But also havent had much luck with long range shots and nice looking goals in general.. :LOL:
The team I was playing was really bad..

Although I did read that crossing is very nerfed in F20, comparing to previous ones.
Which, to be completely honest, doesnt bother me that much, due to heading ball physics, which I find the weakest point of Fifa ball physics. Rocket headers from the edge of the box are neither nice to watch, nor fun to score. Just annoying. The only headers I can live with are downwards headers, which Im always trying whenever I manage to pull a nice cross off. They look more natural and are very rewarding when you manage to score.

As for tactical defending, I am no expert by any means, but I tell you this - when you are not sure - dont tackle. Track back, jockey, be patient and block the goal view. In most cases you will block the attempted shots, or the feckers will make a mistake, where you'll be able to step in.
I think its a great representation of the real-life defending, where you rarely see defenders just blindly charging forward, hoping for the best.

Havent had much luck with crossing either, tbh.
But also havent had much luck with long range shots and nice looking goals in general.. :LOL:
The team I was playing was really bad..

Although I did read that crossing is very nerfed in F20, comparing to previous ones.
Which, to be completely honest, doesnt bother me that much, due to heading ball physics, which I find the weakest point of Fifa ball physics. Rocket headers from the edge of the box are neither nice to watch, nor fun to score. Just annoying. The only headers I can live with are downwards headers, which Im always trying whenever I manage to pull a nice cross off. They look more natural and are very rewarding when you manage to score.

As for tactical defending, I am no expert by any means, but I tell you this - when you are not sure - dont tackle. Track back, jockey, be patient and block the goal view. In most cases you will block the attempted shots, or the feckers will make a mistake, where you'll be able to step in.
I think its a great representation of the real-life defending, where you rarely see defenders just blindly charging forward, hoping for the best.
I think the whole ball physics are horrible, the headers the uneceesaty forces bobble, the over hit passing with minimal force and then there's the players weight

I think the whole ball physics are horrible, the headers the uneceesaty forces bobble, the over hit passing with minimal force and then there's the players weight
So what do you think is keeping people playing this? Including you?
I'll tell you what kept me.
Anything-can-happen factor. The fact that matches are different, shots are varied, user defending is immersive, there's much more advanced instructions that you can use and Career Mode is fun and not spoiled by some badly implemented mechanism that cripples you for 2/3rd of a season.

I take worse, but anything-is-possible ball physics, with a ball being a separate entity, over gorgeous looking pre-determined, magnetic curles and spins any day.

I'm not playing It anymore, the initial this is different feeling wore off after a couple of days fiddling with sliders and the latest pes patch has improved it vastly. And FIFA's ball isn't free you can tell that by the artificial bounce that pulls it back to ground far too quickly, it just doesn't act like a ball

You know Arsenals invincible seaon? Seems in my career mode the four t op teams are having a similar streak. Wth, I’ve lost a couple of games and the other teams haven’t Dropped almost any points halfway in the season. Gonna be impossible to catch up. Any remedy for this? Or just bad luck

@Emroth dude, link me your videos for defending. Im doing a bit better with tactical but still the ai will just dribble past me easily. I can't take the ball back until they reach the final half.

@hitmanuk gonna fire up pes again to see how the update looks. I had to quit my ML due to bullshittery so I’ll give it a go in league and exhibition. Weirdly enough I’ve been enjoying fifa 17 and pes17 lately.

Last edited:
Played three games last night ,manual all,except semi shooting.
This is for the most parts a brilliant game,but once again the defending kills it.
First game professional,turned it off after the first half since I out shoot the CPU 19-0 (10 min half)

Two more games,both on WC 10 min.
Though I agree that tactical defending is ace,as soon as the three -four fast passes appears outside my box,or the quick one two in the box comes up,I'm gone!
Feels like a cheat from the CPU ,your CPU controlled team mates aren't reacting fast enough to deal with it.
If you cover one,switch over to the second one,then theres a third player free.

Love the tactical defending,but imo we need some ai help like it was prior to this game.
Can only imagine how this would play out with vs PL team on ultimate difficulty.

Feels like this is designed for PvP

This is for the most parts a brilliant game,but once again the defending kills it.
First game professional,turned it off after the first half since I out shoot the CPU 19-0 (10 min half)

Two more games,both on WC 10 min.
Though I agree that tactical defending is ace,as soon as the three -four fast passes appears outside my box,or the quick one two in the box comes up,I'm gone!
Feels like a cheat from the CPU ,your CPU controlled team mates aren't reacting fast enough to deal with it.
If you cover one,switch over to the second one,then theres a third player free.

Love the tactical defending,but imo we need some ai help like it was prior to this game.
Can only imagine how this would play out with vs PL team on ultimate difficulty.

Feels like this is designed for PvP

Like @Chris Davies has said in the past, because the FUT crowd will complain that the defenders are DeFenDing FoR TheM. What's their point? Your teammates AI (in this case, the defensive AI) should be dictated by their stats. Done, end of discussion. Heaven forbid a good defender defends well when you aren't controlling them.

Like @Chris Davies has said in the past, because the FUT crowd will complain that the defenders are DeFenDing FoR TheM. What's their point? Your teammates AI (in this case, the defensive AI) should be dictated by their stats. Done, end of discussion. Heaven forbid a good defender defends well when you aren't controlling them.
It's all for the "skill gap". The phrase that ruined FIFA. That's the priority over literally *everything else*, other than microtransactions. For the sake of FUT, eSports and appeasing children.

Simulation, realism etc. isn't a part of the picture any more. It's all about making FIFA into an eSport, by turning everything into a 1-v-1, you versus your opponent, with ZERO AI interference. And you can only do that by deleting huge swathes of WHAT FOOTBALL IS.

FIFA isn't a team game, it's a game that drives 1-on-1s so that you're constantly facing tests against your opponent, with no thought about the wider game required. And the bonus of this is that you can't control four defenders at once, so they stand still while the goals fly in. No more boring 0-0s. Goals aplenty, guys. 10/10 best game ever.

I hate it, but this is where we are and it's never going to change.

True!
Imagine having the same system when attacking?
Players not making runs etc until you command them.

It's all for the "skill gap". The phrase that ruined FIFA. That's the priority over literally *everything else*, other than microtransactions. For the sake of FUT, eSports and appeasing children.

Simulation, realism etc. isn't a part of the picture any more. It's all about making FIFA into an eSport, by turning everything into a 1-v-1, you versus your opponent, with ZERO AI interference. And you can only do that by deleting huge swathes of WHAT FOOTBALL IS.

FIFA isn't a team game, it's a game that drives 1-on-1s so that you're constantly facing tests against your opponent, with no thought about the wider game required. And the bonus of this is that you can't control four defenders at once, so they stand still while the goals fly in. No more boring 0-0s. Goals aplenty, guys. 10/10 best game ever.

Fun thing is how much I and a lot of others criticise EA (FIFA) for it's MT's and arcadey online gameplay,often referred to "fucking kids ruining this game..all about YouTubers and bringing home views etc'"

At the same time I'm really impressed how EAs online hockey works (not HUT) EASHL.
I'm playing with a div 3 club there,all guys over 40,playing Vs guys/chicks our same age(I guess) and having proper fun,a bit arcadey at times,but as long as you play hockey the way it should be played ,and your team mates do the same,it's brilliant!

Not so sure about that.
I mean,just a year ago in 19 AI defending was in.
Now they removed it,but if many FUTers will complain that the defence is very difficult now and they can't defend well,then they'll probably change it back again.Maybe even in 21.Also another reason could be that they'll have to do some changes eitherway for the next game.It's always happening to some point.They can't just deliver a new game that plays and behaves with the exact same logic as the previous one.
So because of that and also because of some complaints,i think we'll see a different approach to some point in the next game.

In general i like and i agree with this idea that they had this year to calm the movement down and make it more ''humanlike''.
Because the previous versions were indeed too hectic with players running all over the pitch like chickens and making moves all the time like they're on coke.It was too much.
This more calmer and controlled approach that there is now i think looks better and more realistic,although i agree that they've gone too far with it and that there has to be more life and AI awareness on the defensive side.

Yesterday I only had time to play one game and I put it in Pro. Like someone mentioned I turned a few options to manual and via sliders I gave the AI some advantage. It was just one game, but it was a well fought game and I enjoyed it, I think I overpowered the AI a bit too much but still it played realistic. Granted it was one of my eurocup games in my Premier League CM. SO Ill have to test it in the PL and I expect it to be loopsided 19-0 shots on goal like you, but still...

I wish I could get the right difficulty in both PES and FIFA. seems in both games Pro plays great and the AI is more human, then you turn it up a notch and those games become you vs pingpong perfectness. Wish they made them smarter with their decisions rather than superhuman

Yesterday I only had time to play one game and I put it in Pro. Like someone mentioned I turned a few options to manual and via sliders I gave the AI some advantage. It was just one game, but it was a well fought game and I enjoyed it, I think I overpowered the AI a bit too much but still it played realistic. Granted it was one of my eurocup games in my Premier League CM. SO Ill have to test it in the PL and I expect it to be loopsided 19-0 shots on goal like you, but still...

I wish I could get the right difficulty in both PES and FIFA. seems in both games Pro plays great and the AI is more human, then you turn it up a notch and those games become you vs pingpong perfectness. Wish they made them smarter with their decisions rather than superhuman
The skill gap is enormous,like you say from human to ping pong (especially with PL teams)

Here's the thing I would want when setting up FIFA with sliders.
No difficulties!
When you setup FIFA and start with let's say WC then add your sliders to it,it's still based on a vanilla difficulty right?
But when I set my sliders on 2k,the difficulties becomes "custom".
Which means I can chose the easiest difficulty to start my slider setup on,then make them very competitive.

We need much more sliders in this game,tendencies (how much a team/players passes/shoots etc).
I find it impossible to nerf the CPU enough to be "fair/fun" to play against

We need to be able to customise both the CPUs offense and defense.
I know that FIFA is miles ahead of Pes with the ability to customise gameplay,but still far far from what we deserve, especially since theres other games being so good at this.

I got a decent setup on my WC CM,but then again,I'm playing outside the PL.

I keep going back to this for the shot variety, but the build-up to those goals is largely farcical. It's ping-ponging back and forth over large distances with perfect accuracy waiting for a gap, or on the counter it's just running through a chasm where the midfield is supposed to be, to shoot.

Whereas for the AI, as has been discussed over the last few days, the AI just does one-twos around the box while your statuesque defenders watch on, because secondary-press does nothing.

Secondary-press actually does worse than nothing - twice last night I had defenders running towards the ball-carrier, and I wanted them to just stick a leg out. As soon as I pressed the secondary-press button, they backed off as if they'd been lassoed by an invisible rope, at great speed.

Presumably, that's because I bumped the marking slider up a little bit, and pressing the secondary-press button makes the code go "WOAH how is this defender so close to the ball-carrier, marking should be 50"...

Sorry, boys, I had some issues lately and didnt get a chance to reply here.

This is the clip I found very good when it comes to defending. Its mostly basics, but there are nice examples, well explained and it was this clip that helped me change my mindset and start defending carefully, with a lot of patience. Hope it helps.

Sorry, boys, I had some issues lately and didnt get a chance to reply here.

This is the clip I found very good when it comes to defending. Its mostly basics, but there are nice examples, well explained and it was this clip that helped me change my mindset and start defending carefully, with a lot of patience. Hope it helps.

Thanks!

Ill give this a try tonight. Going to start a new CM in La liga to see how that plays. The guy in the video makes it look so simple... I try to jockey but the AI can just do a quick dribble and my tackle will end up in the stands..

Thanks!

Ill give this a try tonight. Going to start a new CM in La liga to see how that plays. The guy in the video makes it look so simple... I try to jockey but the AI can just do a quick dribble and my tackle will end up in the stands..
..Then dont tackle. Thats what I was doing at the start. Its better not to tackle and track back, covering your goal, then commit and fail. In most cases you will block attempted shot.
Wait for the moment. Bad touch or a pass to intercept..
I have been playing in League 2, so AI wasnt that great with dribbling, granted.. but my defenders were also shite, so there's that. Give it a go and see how you get on.

Hi someone have good sliders for player career mode please ?

You can try the operation sports community sliders at their website. I usually take their HLW and a few other values and start tweaking them to my gameplay and shorter games.

I am enjoying the game but Im stuck in adilemma where WC is too easy and Legendary the AI ping pings way too much.
Any advice to turn down the quick passes from the AI in LEgendary (doesnt happen all games, some play really nice and hard fought with AI making passing errors). IU dont know what to lower as to not break their attack

I havent tried ultimate as I read after the latest patch it just became something completely unrealistic

Question for you guys: out of the the last 4 editions of FIFA (17-20) which one did you enjoy the most? My memory is shite when it comes to old editions of games and even tho I’ve played all of them I can’t quite remember the details.

Question for you guys: out of the the last 4 editions of FIFA (17-20) which one did you enjoy the most? My memory is shite when it comes to old editions of games and even tho I’ve played all of them I can’t quite remember the details.

I was just thinking about this myself. I think 17 and 18 are similar (edge to 17). I skipped 19. Enjoying 20 but for some reason enjoyed more 17.
Tbh the one I played the most was 16

TLDR; 16 & 17

The longest save I had in those years was in 17, as Blackpool. I still in my heart of hearts prefer a lot of it to FIFA 16, even. I just wanted to get rid of the Frostbite slideyness, really. That and all teams playing the same way.

Currently playing 18 a lot,if not for the magnetic sliding/defending I'd give it the nr1 spot.
20 will probably overtake 19 later on for me.
I think it gets more ping pongy the newer the game,lots more build up play on 17/18,and foot planting is non existent on 19/20.
Also bonus for the shooting on 17,best of them all (17-20).

Last edited:

Currently playing 18 a lot,if not for the magnetic sliding/defending I'd give it the nr1 spot.
20 will probably overtake 19 later on for me.
I think it gets more ping pongy the newer the game,lots more build up play on 17/18,and foot planting is non existent on 19/20.
Also bonus for the shooting on 17,best of them all (17-20).

What's teammate AI like on 17? Can you put some good moves together?
Could you give a few major standouts re how 17 is better gameplay wise, please?

Back
Top Bottom