FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Are headers still impossible in FIFA 20? I uninstalled it and I think in the last month they've had probably 10 patches....

Dont know why but F20 to me feels a bit souless. Like I try too hard to enjoy it.... Will install it again once they are done patching it so I know gameplay and mods wont break.

I enjoyed F18 when I reinstalled it, but found I has having more fun in 16 and 17.

Last edited:
Are headers still impossible in FIFA 20? I uninstalled it and I think in the last month they've had probably 10 patches....
Headers where there is a challenging defender, yes. This is on purpose - there's a quote somewhere from the producer that says they're broken for a reason. Because they were too easy before and the eSports guys feel like it's a cheap way to score. I mean. It's actually laughable.

Right now it says fifa20 update 1.19. REALLY weird i remember 1.18 is very recently.
^ So that's the 19th patch? :DOH:
Yeah - but with good reason.

This is the bug they fixed. Or, tried to fix (the guy at the end proves it still happens).

I'm not joking. This is real. Just need to clarify.

Headers where there is a challenging defender, yes. This is on purpose - there's a quote somewhere from the producer that says they're broken for a reason. Because they were too easy before and the eSports guys feel like it's a cheap way to score. I mean. It's actually laughable.

Yeah - but with good reason.

This is the bug they fixed. Or, tried to fix (the guy at the end proves it still happens).

I'm not joking. This is real. Just need to clarify.

Yes the split between online version and offline version is still heavy needed.
I am tired of e-sports dudes being bothered of headers, fouls, throwins, snow/rain, long grass, sun/night, tackles, AI defense awareness , referees with luminous kits!!!!!!!!! But in the same time it is realist and meta and skill gap and competitive, when la croquet + el tornado+ drag back & drop + any other BS + finesse timed green light, from any position, even with a right footed Rivaldo shoot =guaranteed goal.
Unfortunately there can’t be balance between this and a guy who wants to manage Stirling Albion for 10 years making realistic management for a road to any glory.
I know it is cliche by now,but none from both sides is benefiting from mutual changes.

Last edited:
Downloaded the fifa 18 demo on ps4 to try it. Playing as boca, the game felt like velvet, so smooth. The way the ball rolled was almost too smooth but the game just felt expensive, well assembled. Attacking AI also seemed fun to play with.

For all fifa 20's complex physics etc, I find the animations and ball physics can end up looking quite cheap and hacked together, as much as I am really enjoying it atm...

Hi Folks!
I think FIFA 20 on Fuma is really really great.
I've got a lot of fun and really great matchs on Legend with my sliders.
Enjoy!

UEFA Super Cup : Liverpool - United : 1 - 2

2nd day : Wolves - United : 1 - 2

3rd day : United - Arsenal : 2 - 2

2nd round EFL Cup : Bristol - United : 1 - 2

4th day : Liverpool - United : 1 - 1

5th day : United - Leicester : 1 - 0
https://youtu.be/igxyMURAlWA

1st match Champion's League C1 : Cluj - United : 0 - 1
https://youtu.be/7FN67-4ot8A

6th day : Everton - United : 1 - 2
https://youtu.be/_H8Q9IszOcQ

3rd round EFL Cup : United - Leeds : 2 - 0
https://youtu.be/IdaW061e4pQ

7th day : United - Burnley : 2 - 0
https://youtu.be/BlPORJNX0fA

2nd match Champion's League : United - Napoli : 1 - 3
https://youtu.be/UO1qLpeqzg4

Did they ever fix the AI defender stutter when sprinting against on slow speed? I uninstalled the game months ago

It's slightly fixed, as in they don't do it as early, but it's still there in some spots, especially when using the right stick to push the ball ahead.

I posted this video to my channel yesterday. It was in response to those who had asked about more difficulty Legendary sliders (since Ultimate is terrible now), so feel free to check it out:

It's slightly fixed, as in they don't do it as early, but it's still there in some spots, especially when using the right stick to push the ball ahead.

thanks I installed the game and the whole thing is an absolute abortion now so got rid again

This just shows how broken defending is, IMO. If you can't stop this, what's the point.

Check out the guy's Instagram page - he does this every game he plays.

Total, total, dogshit.

The defending and the fact you can actually do all those skills with a GK. Remember Lloris dribble during the wc final?

Agree total dog shit.

That's really sad because you can feel the potential this game have. But the defending and the floatyness are just horrible. I wish I could have tried the beta...

This just shows how broken defending is, IMO. If you can't stop this, what's the point.

Total, total, dogshit.
This is not possible with normal goalkeepers. The guy is using a special goalkeeper FUT card with 5* skill moves:

https://www.futhead.com/20/players/21758/nick-pope/

The normal version of Nick Pope has only 1* skill moves.

This is not possible with normal goalkeepers. The guy is using a special goalkeeper FUT card with 5* skill moves:

https://www.futhead.com/20/players/21758/nick-pope/

The normal version of Nick Pope has only 1* skill moves.
The fact that it's possible at all, with any player, to go the whole length of the pitch and defenders be so drugged-up and "bamboozled" by drag-backs and flicks, is what frustrates me. Not (just) that it's a goalkeeper. That it's possible at all, and that the other player essentially just has to watch. His Instagram feed is full of clips of the same thing happening every game. This is no one-off, and the defenders are supposedly world-class.

I like the idea of FIFA's "tactical defending" system - if you compare the way defenders track attacking players without lunging at them in real life (because of the disadvantage it would put them at), I get it. And it's certainly better than "hold X to win the ball", which is A) unrealistic and B) not a fun gameplay mechanic. I appreciate a yearly title trying to improve fundamentals, rather than just changing a camera angle.

But it's clearly designed to favour goalfests. Holding the pressure button and hitting the invisible circular barrier just looks, and feels like such stupid, obvious gaming bullshit (you're clearly not allowed too close purely to make the game harder for you as a defender - as opposed to any logical, physical reason for that perfect protective sphere that you keep bouncing off, that surrounds the ball carrier).

Yes, you're supposed to switch to the "jockey" buttons at that point and penetrate the invisible bullshit wall - but trying to direct your player at that point ends up with your player running away from the ball carrier half the time, rather than being able to see, and chase, the defender. Like they're temporarily blinded. That's not how humans work. The other player isn't outwitting you or tricking his way past you, he's just jogging off to score while you try to wrestle control of your seemingly brain-damaged defender, who can't follow where the ball is going.

Total, total, dogshit.

This is pretty terrible defending as well. Not saying it should happen though because it even looks like the ball warps past the defender a couple times.

This Tactical Defending system is total bullshit.Only from the fact that there is an invisible wall that stops you from getting near to the player is enough to be considered ridiculous.And most passing animations on Fifa are ridiculously fast so yeah...good luck with timing it correctly and stopping them with the tackle button.

The best and most realistic defending system would be the one where you could normally pressure and get the ball with x BUT,where it's not oversimplified and op like on PES for example.It should had the correct body shifting mechanics with incredible detail to things like body weight and inertia which would require time and experience to master it and it wouldn't be so easy to do and op.
For example if you just hold x and run mindlessly towards the player,then he should be able to run past you or dribble you quite easily with a feint and your defender couldn't just recover in a nanosecond and still chasing him but he should stumble a little because of weight and inertia and suffer a little to keep up after.

That would make it so you can't just spam x and run towards them,but instead containing in a smart and tactical way with the left stick and only use x to pressure them when you're close enough to them and you're sure that you can get the ball or give them a challenge.Kinda like it happens in real football.And it would require much caution to not overdoing it because the player could easily past you then or you're giving silly fouls.

But,as i said,that would require amazing next gen physics in terms of dribbling with the ball and the ball being an actual separate entity,and incredible detail to body shifting/inertia/weight and body/limb physics in general.In this state that we are now it's just not possible.It needs to be much more advanced.And most of all the developers should have the appetite and courage to produce such things and ideas and not just oversimplify everything because little Johhny will cry that he can't defend now.Let the little mofucka to struggle and be smart and tactical if he wants to defend correctly lol.

I still prefer PES' defence system and i think it's a bit closer to this vision that i have for next gen mechanics,mainly because of it's weight and inertia.Two things that EA developers seems that they don't have a clue about.But of course i agree that it's too op and oversimplified as it is now on PES and needs to be much more advanced and punishing if you just spam x for the whole game.
The truth is that neither of the two games have a very good defending system as of now and they should really step it forward and bring some realism for the next years.

To be honest, I've never seen that invisible wall thing you're talking about. Maybe it's because I only use the left stick for positioning without any modifiers.

It happens when you hold x to contain.It lets you go towards the player but then 3-4 meters away from him this invisible wall appears that prevents you go any further.Basically with this Tactical Defending system there isn't any pressure command.You can only close the gaps or position yourself for containing with the left stick,but there isn't any actual pressure mechanic which is just ridiculous.Pressuring in the right moment is one of the main things a defender does in real football.And the game doesn't even have a mechanic for this main thing.

You can only press square for a standing tackle,but this is not pressuring.And because many Fifa's animations are quicker than they should you can't do shit with this standing tackle mechanic.Most of the time your players end up tackling the air like morons.
That's why if you see some online matches noone uses contain and everyone is marking with jockey+running which makes the player slide on the pitch like he's on a hockey pitch and looks even more ridiculous.

For me,the best system as i said would be one where it lets you pressure normally with x since pressuring correctly is a major factor of defending in real life.But it should be punishing if you just spam it and run towards the player all the time.It should be hard to master but rewarding when you get how to use it correctly and not op or oversimplified.It should have the correct balance between containing and pressuring and only be effective if you use it wisely,otherwise if you spam it then the opponent should easily past you or you giving away fouls all the time.Like real life.

PES has this mechanic but it's too op and simplified there,it should be more balanced and advanced.Maybe we'll see it in next gen.But at least it has it.FIFA's Tactical Defending system doesn't even have a pressuring command or mechanic which is just wrong and unrealistic in my eyes.

FIFA 20 defending is basically fine if not actually good, except for the invisible wall when using contain. Tactical was introduced when FIFA had no inertia and defenders could catch up in an instant even if they overthrew their press, but that is now not the case and so the logic for the current system is essentially defunct (I don't know what people talk about - FIFA does have interia now. When soundly beaten defenders now requires ample time to catch up).

Defending would be improved if the invisible wall was simply removed, so that when you hold contain your defender would just run into the attacker/ball. This should result in more fouls and be easier for the attacker to dribble past. Which is fine.

Honestly the main purpose of "contain" shouldn't be as primary tackle button or primary way to defend - that should the job of Jockey, left stick, and stand and slide tackle. ""Contain"" should mostly be to lock onto loose balls and align your player to face the ball. It should be something you use sparingly or in specific situations. Not a staple mechanism like Jockey is - which is far more rewarding and fun because it is manual controlled.

And frankly, that's kinda how I defend in FIFA 20 anyway. I don't hold Contain to use the invisible wall. I actively try to avoid the invisible wall if anything. I feather the contain button to align my defender to ball and then use manual jockey and tackles if I want to breach the invisible wall and step-in for the tackle/steal. Most of the time when the invisible wall is intiated it is by mistake, and causes my defender so circle away from the dribbler, which is super annoying.

Also, tackle button is a treat in FIFA 20 and it works very well. I use it with success all the time.

Yeah, I never use Contain, that's probably why I've never seen the invisible wall.

Basically with this Tactical Defending system there isn't any pressure command.You can only close the gaps or position yourself for containing with the left stick,but there isn't any actual pressure mechanic which is just ridiculous.Pressuring in the right moment is one of the main things a defender does in real football.And the game doesn't even have a mechanic for this main thing.

You can only press square for a standing tackle,but this is not pressuring.
I can't really agree with you there. You can pressure the opponent by simply closing up on him with the left stick. It's possible to win the ball without pressing any button by simply bumping into the opponent.

The one thing that is impossible in FIFA with tactical defending is Gegenpressing. Teammate Contain is mostly useless, and you obviously can't control two players at once with your left stick, so the only way is to use constant pressure in your tactics.

I'm actually a couple patches back, maybe 1.16.
Is it worth updating to 1.19? Has the latest patch improved the game overall? Any negatives?
Cheers guys

@bsmaff maybe you're right about FIFA 20 (I managed to read your post before it got zapped away), and honestly I don't think FIFA 20 will ever be my favourite football game ever (not even close).

Still I believe that this game has been dumbed down too much (think at the CPU-controlled defenders that just stare at you doing nothing when you pass by them especially on the wings, a thing that I hate) to please the online crowd, but the 'core' is there.
It just needs to be discovered and brought to light.
With a proper gameplay patch (I've been playing some matches with @paulv2k4's one recently) this game could be saved, and Revolution Mod could aswell be the reason for me to give it another chance (still with Paul's mod enabled, of course).
Not a game changer, I agree... But at least the "excuse" for me to try it again.

Truth be told, I hope FIFA 20 can be saved... Because actually I keep trying different games (no matter if PES or FIFA) trying to find the one that suits me the most, but I keep going back to FIFA 14 on a regular basis: despite its flaws (and it surely had many of them), I still think it's superior than any 'Frostbite-based' FIFA.

When it comes to FIFA , all I have been playing recently is FIFA 18 WC.

The game has some issues, like players have this weird forcefield thing after the engine decides which player is meant to get the ball first.
The AI cheats to high heaven, if the AI wants to score it will.
You can have a good few games on it but the tops teams just score at will when it wants too.

The pluses are, the game has multiple ways to score - FIFA 20 is the same goal, again, again and again.
Defending is better on the game, although there are some issues with it.
The animations are better, FIFA 20 has this very very weird leg breaking animation when doing one touch passing that would look out of place for Chun Li.
But the most important thing over everything - I have actually enjoyed playing it.. FIFA 20 just plays very badly, and despite using gameplay mods like Paul2K4, which I have used since November time it makes the game better, but as stated he is just polishing a turd.

Unfortunately FIFA is changing for the worse and gets more and more shit year on year.
The game just isn't designed for people like me, I want to play a couple of career games with Exeter and a Prem team and just enjoy a nice slow realistic gameplay experience.

I used to play FIFA quite a lot year on year, and if lockdown would of happened 3/4 years ago, I would of knocked up about 50+ hours of FIFA in the past 3 weeks.
Instead I haven't loaded FIFA 20 since the 3rd of April, and that was only to try the new patch... FM has become my go to football game this year and I have currently clocked up 121 hours of it with probably half of that during lockdown.

When it comes to FIFA , all I have been playing recently is FIFA 18 WC.

The game has some issues, like players have this weird forcefield thing after the engine decides which player is meant to get the ball first.
The AI cheats to high heaven, if the AI wants to score it will.
You can have a good few games on it but the tops teams just score at will when it wants too.

The pluses are, the game has multiple ways to score - FIFA 20 is the same goal, again, again and again.
Defending is better on the game, although there are some issues with it.
The animations are better, FIFA 20 has this very very weird leg breaking animation when doing one touch passing that would look out of place for Chun Li.
But the most important thing over everything - I have actually enjoyed playing it.. FIFA 20 just plays very badly, and despite using gameplay mods like Paul2K4, which I have used since November time it makes the game better, but as stated he is just polishing a turd.

Unfortunately FIFA is changing for the worse and gets more and more shit year on year.
The game just isn't designed for people like me, I want to play a couple of career games with Exeter and a Prem team and just enjoy a nice slow realistic gameplay experience.

I used to play FIFA quite a lot year on year, and if lockdown would of happened 3/4 years ago, I would of knocked up about 50+ hours of FIFA in the past 3 weeks.
Instead I haven't loaded FIFA 20 since the 3rd of April, and that was only to try the new patch... FM has become my go to football game this year and I have currently clocked up 121 hours of it with probably half of that during lockdown.

I havent played much fifa 20 but the weird thing is, most people who have say the variety of goals is its strength.
Do you mean types of shots/headers or the pattern of play/build up to a goal are the same over and over?

I havent played much fifa 20 but the weird thing is, most people who have say the variety of goals is its strength.
Do you mean types of shots/headers or the pattern of play/build up to a goal are the same over and over?

I can't speak for other people, I don't have twitter or watch videos on YouTube.

For me I normally used to win every game on Legendary using Prem Teams anywhere from 6/9-nil and rarely conceded.
I scored the same goal over and over and over, there was absolutely no thought process required.
All you need is a striker with 85+ pace and acceleration and scoring goals is a complete non thought process.

I can't speak for other people, I don't have twitter or watch videos on YouTube.

For me I normally used to win every game on Legendary using Prem Teams anywhere from 6/9-nil and rarely conceded.
I scored the same goal over and over and over, there was absolutely no thought process required.
All you need is a striker with 85+ pace and acceleration and scoring goals is a complete non thought process.

Neither do I, I cant, cant stand twitter and avoid YouTube where possible. I meant people on here.

I see what you mean. You need resistance from cpu to actually build good moves so you can take players out of the game, play through them etc...
Fortunately I'm not great at fifa, I struggle to create chance on professional even...

Is fifa 18 WC a separate game to fifa 18? Or a patch?
Is it more exciting building moves than 20? As much as I quite like fifa 20, it can be quite static in attack at times..

Back
Top Bottom