FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Is fifa 18 WC a separate game to fifa 18? Or a patch?
EA never released a full game for the 18 World Cup. it's just a DLC for FIFA 18 with stadiums, updated kits, a couple of qualified teams that weren't there in the original game and, of course... Loads of FUT content.

This is the way it works lately, unfortunately: either EA and Konami don't feel like releasing full-fledged games for these tournaments (Euro and World Cup) anymore. They just release themed DLC's so they could push more "special" MyClub/FUT content upon the users.

EA never released a full game for the 18 World Cup. it's just a DLC for FIFA 18 with stadiums, updated kits, a couple of qualified teams that weren't there in the original game and, of course... Loads of FUT content.

This is the way it works lately, unfortunately: either EA and Konami don't feel like releasing full-fledged games for these tournaments (Euro and World Cup) anymore. They just release themed DLC's so they could push more "special" MyClub/FUT content upon the users.

Cheers, thought as much.

Just downloaded the latest patch. Definitely more stable. More variety in attacking moves too...and finally the free choice of matchballs!
I'm.glad I'm rubbish at fifa, all those cpu defender problems are practically invisible to me

I just saw on the news that PL players are currently playing in an online tournament.

Sterling beat Zaha 5-4..
I don't play FIFA online, but is this common?

As that is the exact problem with FIFA, I want games to end 1-0, 2-1, 2-0... and be really tense and require real thought into scoring.
People should have to understand football and to score a goal you should have to think about what your doing and making moves and passing it around to create space and openings, not through ball it to the fastest player and shoot.

To be honest, I've never seen that invisible wall thing you're talking about. Maybe it's because I only use the left stick for positioning without any modifiers.

If we're talking online, then yes, Tactical is the only option defensively. For offline though, those remarking about the invisible wall - why not just use Legacy defending? It does exactly what is being asked.

Personally, I've grown into Tactical defending. It's not tactical by any means in that sense, but is a lot less automated compared to Legacy. This year's FIFA is all about micro-managing positions, and noone should be surprised when they started announcing features of 1v1 as a staple to the changes.

If we're talking online, then yes, Tactical is the only option defensively. For offline though, those remarking about the invisible wall - why not just use Legacy defending? It does exactly what is being asked.

Personally, I've grown into Tactical defending. It's not tactical by any means in that sense, but is a lot less automated compared to Legacy. This year's FIFA is all about micro-managing positions, and noone should be surprised when they started announcing features of 1v1 as a staple to the changes.

We still have the right to be disappointed though. Football is a team game and defending is a team work (this an imprtant fundamental of football for me along with things like positioning). This one on one thing in a 11 vs 11 players game doesn't look right to me. The game in this state hardly look like the football simulation it pretends to be and for sure less than its predecessors, including the frostbite ones.

Why not directly make the game be played with only two players on the pitch then (a true 1vs1)?

I just saw on the news that PL players are currently playing in an online tournament.

Sterling beat Zaha 5-4..
I don't play FIFA online, but is this common?

As that is the exact problem with FIFA, I want games to end 1-0, 2-1, 2-0... and be really tense and require real thought into scoring.
People should have to understand football and to score a goal you should have to think about what your doing and making moves and passing it around to create space and openings, not through ball it to the fastest player and shoot.
Most people i read, who are FuT/MC crowd exclusively, believe that games ending 1-0, 2-1 are more due to luck factor. The true "skill-gap" is defined by the number of goals.
In other words they prefer games to end 7-5, 6-5, 5-4 than 1-0 which is "random".
And those people are the crowd who give the feedback that companies pay attention on Twitter, etc.

So after my normal post pes data pack high came to its usual 'week later' end (or really about 3 hours of actual gamplay) I downloaded the latest fifa patch and felt that sinking feeling. It was dull, nothing was happening, all the variety had largely gone.
Then I set up with the latest OS sliders and wow, it was back to the fun I was having a couple weeks ago.
I think it was the marking.bump to 72 that makes the difference.
Incredible how without it, cpu players were dropping off which in turn neutered my own players runs. Now, I'm.playing barca at man city and the.variety of runs is really quite something for fifa which has in years past become so.patterned for me. And the recreation of messi in this game, the motion and little touches is sublime.
For some reason I can just see past the odd running animations and slightly ropey ball physics because theres just so much freedom and variety.
I'll never play fifa with outdated sliders again.
Thanks again @Matt10.

And I've moved up to normal speed for the first time ever in fifa and I'm enjoying it way more. It's a bit fast but everything seems sharp and immediate which makes it feel more visceral.

I've also noticed that to really get great, intricate team moves going you need to play quite narrow and get players bunched together, using cut in and come short instructions. The amount of players you commit into the box is also key but I'm not yet near a sweet spot. If anyone has any advice here, I'd really appreciate it...

Last edited:
So after my normal post pes data pack high came to its usual 'week later' end (or really about 3 hours of actual gamplay) I downloaded the latest fifa patch and felt that sinking feeling. It was dull, nothing was happening, all the variety had largely gone.
Then I set up with the latest OS sliders and wow, it was back to the fun I was having a couple weeks ago.
I think it was the marking.bump to 72 that makes the difference.
Incredible how without it, cpu players were dropping off which in turn neutered my own players runs. Now, I'm.playing barca at man city and the.variety of runs is really quite something for fifa which has in years past become so.patterned for me. And the recreation of messi in this game, the motion and little touches is sublime.
For some reason I can just see past the odd running animations and slightly ropey ball physics because theres just so much freedom and variety.
I'll never play fifa with outdated sliders again.
Thanks again @Matt10.

And I've moved up to normal speed for the first time ever in fifa and I'm enjoying it way more. It's a bit fast but everything seems sharp and immediate which makes it feel more visceral.

I've also noticed that to really get great, intricate team moves going you need to play quite narrow and get players bunched together, using cut in and come short instructions. The amount of players you commit into the box is also key but I'm not yet near a sweet spot. If anyone has any advice here, I'd really appreciate it...

I am so glad to hear that you're enjoying the game. We were just discussing in the thread how much fun it's playing right now. Just a note, I'm actually in the middle of updating the OP (and will post here) of 3 versions of the sliders to accommodate for those who want to use the upcoming Version 3 set, Harder Legendary set and Shorter Halves set.

Regarding players into the box, I've found that Run Frequency at 5 (which I'll be including in the set) is a great compliment. Crosses are back and headers are going in. I've scored 2 in the last 3 matches, and been scored on by the CPU in 2. Try that out, but hopefully I can get everything updated here shortly for everyone to try out as well.

Changelog & Updates:

Timestamp
: 4/23/2020 | 3:58 PM CST --- Over a month ago, and things are quite different for a lot of us. For one, Ultimate Difficulty is completely worthless - to the point that I've removed it from this update (it's in the archives). I believe most, if not all, are working from home - or at least spending a lot more time at home. This means more career mode, right? Personally, I've actually been able to get going a lot on my own career mode, which is something I haven't been able to do for a number of FIFA iterations.

So, this update is one that I have been wanting to do for quite a while. I mentioned it in the thread, but I receive about 3-5 messages a day asking about different suggestions on playing with our sliders. The top two questions are "What do I need to do if playing on [] minutes?" and "How can I make the game more challenging/harder?" I've given a bit of my insight individually, but now it is time to offer it in a more structured form. No matter what suggestions you can make, it is human nature to want an itemized list of "exactly" what is being used. Of course we always recommend personal preferences, but the goal here is to create that baseline - then adjust as you see fit (as always!).

With that said, here are 3 versions of the OS Sliders. Each version addresses a possible solution to those who are looking for the current set, a harder set and a set that is customized for those who play on under 10 minutes. If you look through the values, you will see that the base of the OS slider set is still there, and the values presented have been suggested throughout the thread by others and myself in various outlets (this thread, social media, youtube videos, reddit, etc).

wKa8LH.png

FIFA 20 Operation Sports Sliders |||Version 3, Harder Legendary and Shorter Halves Set||

Controls: Manual/Semi/Assisted, Handball On (including PKs)
► Note that there has been good reception in turning off "Pass Block Assistance", which has helped keep the user's defensive line in-sync, making things less chaotic.

Explanation of each value listed in Spoilers:

Version 3 - Work in Progress Set

♦♦♦ Goal: This is the set that anchors the other ones. It is the base of what we have had for a number of months now. Some subtle adjustments to make for even better gameplay than before are in place now. The goal is to get a good balance of build up and necessary tactical adjustments when called upon.♦♦♦

Sprint - 48/52
► The adjustment of Sprint to be in favor of the CPU is primarily based on their tendency to jockey at random when faced in 1v1 situations down the sidelines or when facing an opposing center-back. This has been a [reported] bug for a while to EA, but still has not been fixed. As a result, we have to keep the CPU in the game, and as a result, Sprint and Acceleration go in favor of the CPU.

Acceleration - 50/51 | 50/52 for Pro and World Class difficulty - or for harder Legendary
► As mentioned in the Sprint section, we have to keep the CPU in the game due to the jockey bug that seems to occur in 1v1 situations. In addition, the slight acceleration discrepancy in the CPU's favor makes it a bit more challenging overall. As the user we will always have the advantage due to the ability to get off the rails of programming (super-cancel for a lot of us), which the CPU does not have.

Shot Error - 70/70
► This value was reviewed and kept the same as it has been. Really good teams will have variety with their shots on target, but the odd scuffed shot will not be left for just poor quality players - as we want to humanize the CPU here. The combination of shot speed adjusted and GK ability makes for some incredible shooting interactions.

Pass Error - 55/55
► No reason to change this value as it has brought the best balance on the ball between scuffed passes and gorgeous balls over the top. Truly a good way to separate the exceptional players for the rest of the pack.

Shot Speed - 50/50
► This value got a one point increase because it was starting to become noticeable of how often the GK could catch the ball and how shots started to feel softer and softer - especially with such a high shot error at 70. With this return to normal value of 50, the shot variety can stand out.

Pass Speed - 50/50
► No need to change this value as 50 remains a strong one when relative to the entire movement of the pitch and the significance in passing error. Driven passes this year are tame compared to previous years, and when paired up with the pass error - it definitely makes passing forward more of a risk/reward situation - as it should be.

Injury Freq - 90/90
► Still brings enough variety as before.

Injury Sev - 40/40
► Again, enough variety and nothing so consistent between multiple users at this point.

GK Ability - 40/40
► A more significant drop here from 49, however because the shot speed has increased, we need a more reactive look to the keeper versus a psychic look that higher values had caused. FIFA's programming is cause and effect, the GK animations are programmed based on the shot animation. We do not want the keeper to start moving as soon as the foot makes contact without even seeing the direction, so this adjustment brings in that sense of just a slight hesitation (and often times reflex) to make some amazing saves - but also more rewarding scoring.

Marking - 72/72
► This value is so important to the set. It's been tried at 71, 70 and below, and with the structure of how defensive resistance is built in FIFA (man marking vs zonal), the value of 72 has to be kept. If we think about all previous FIFA versions and how we had begged for the defenders to meet the attackers, or the midfielders to follow the players into the box, we'd be foolish to ignore the benefits of this value set. It's not to say 72 is absolute, but it is the safest value without needing to raise too much else. Note: I have changed this value for the other two sets, in particular the Harder Legendary Sliders because, frankly, if you try them - you will want some type of defensive relief as the resistance is quite strong).

Run Frequency - 5/5
► A slight bump, but a significant result. This brings in the runs off the ball, especially in crossing positions, so it will make the CPU cross and it will also bring in those players to get on the end of the crosses.

● The Height, Length, Width (often referred as "HLW") are quite important to consider for each slider set. In the past, we could adjust these values to achieve a lot of the shape we are looking for. However, this year of FIFA 20 in particular is in favor of referring to the team tactics to dominate the HLW more than anything. With that said, this version of the sliders has an aim to get more midfield play and adhere properly to different formations/tactics available.

Height - 51/51
► Have played around with this value as well, but there is no need to change from the 51 that has been in place for a while.

Length - 46/45
► A very slight change is creating a discrepancy in favor of the user. This allows the the user's defensive positioning of the midfield to sit just a bit higher to block the forward passing lanes that often resulted in the CPU moving the ball from side-to-side and easily passing to their forward. With this change, they will now to use proper outlets such as pushing all the way to the opposite midfielder or sending a ball over the top - or even playing backwards.

Width - 48/48
► Another value that does not get any change because of the strength in narrowing the pitch defensively. It keeps every player goal-side as best as possible, with the exception being FBs in a 5-back formation, who stay too wide in that instance. Unfortunately, adjusting for that value can ruin the composition of the set, so it's better to leave as is until FIFA's tactical programming can improve their defending logic.

FB Pos - 5/5
► Another slight bump here to allow the fullbacks up the pitch just a bit more, but not so high that they are in constant exposure for counter-attacks and switches over the top. Remember, their positioning is also based highly on team tactics and individual instructions. For example, set your FBs to overlap if you want them to get further up the pitch in the attack.

FT Control - 70/70
► With the increase in run frequency, it was clear that the CPU started to get into tiki-taka passing. This needed to be addressed through the first touch control so they can take just a bit more time to settle the ball before moving on. Of course, exceptional players will stand out more with this value raised - but again, humanizing the players is the goal, so no player is exempt.

Harder Legendary Set

♦♦♦ Goal: This set is aimed for those better players who can punish the CPU and absorb punishment all the same. It allows the user to hone in on their stick skills, but still have a requirement to adjust tactics accordingly.♦♦♦

Sprint - 48/52
► Similar to the Version 3 set, the intent is to have the CPU at an advantage, and ensure they can stay in the game as much as possible.

Acceleration - 50/52
► Similar to the Version 3 set as well, the CPU has the advantage, but we as users can jump off the rails anytime. Still does not mean that one will be dominated eitherway though.

Shot Error - 60/55
► The shot error is in favor of the CPU because we want them to punish us in the positions they should. Lowered the same value for the user because this still needs to be realistic, and not completely lopsided.

Pass Error - 55/50
► CPU's value at 50 allows the attack to be a bit more fine-tuned, but just because a lower value is placed, it does not mean that there will be perfect passing throughout. In certain instances, the lower the value, sometimes the less innovation they will exhibit. The crispness of passing is there though, so there will be less scuffed passes compared to higher values. In addition, the crossing capability of the CPU is at a higher level.

Shot Speed - 50/50
► Same concept as the Version 3 set in which a higher shot speed will result in more slight deflections, and frankly, a higher chance for goals. With the shot error value though, of course it can create the wild shot as well.

Pass Speed - 50/50
► Just a simple value that doesn't need to be touched because adjusting it one way or another can impact the gameplay overall.

Injury Freq - 90/90

Injury Sev - 40/40
► Again, enough variety and nothing so consistent between multiple users at this point.

GK Ability - 40/40
► The keeper has to react to shots and have more reflexes compared to over-anticipating them as it would be on higher levels. Keepers in this scenario are always under pressure to perform. Did not feel there needed to be a discrepancy on either case because of how the flow of the match should reward good attacks or scoring opportunities.

Marking - 70/70
► Because there is more time defending the CPU's attacks, it would be beneficial to balance both sides out when attacking. There is still a sense of risk/reward in passing forward, but there is also that risk of moving players out of positions defensively.

Run Frequency - 20/20
► A big bump for the run frequency to create more runs off the ball in a more immediate sense compared to a lower value in which players will check to the ball more often.

● The Height, Length, Width (often referred as "HLW") are quite important to consider for each slider set. In the past, we could adjust these values to achieve a lot of the shape we are looking for. However, this year of FIFA 20 in particular is in favor of referring to the team tactics to dominate the HLW more than anything. With that said, this version of the sliders has an aim to get more midfield play and adhere properly to different formations/tactics available.

Height - 51/51
► Have played around with this value as well, but there is no need to change from the 51 that has been in place for a while.

Length - 46/48
► Following the theme at play, the CPU gets the advantage up the pitch, but not so much that the user doesn't have midfield positioning to block off the lanes. It is the run frequency that will anchor the chances as a result, and this is what creates that necessity for a higher level stick skill capability.

Width - 48/48
► No need to adjust this, but as mentioned 5-back formations do not result in the fullback to stay tucked in as much as they could, or should.

FB Pos - 5/5
► Allows the fullbacks up the pitch just a bit more, but not so high that they are in constant exposure for counter-attacks and switches over the top. Remember, their positioning is also based highly on team tactics and individual instructions. For example, set your FBs to overlap if you want them to get further up the pitch in the attack.

FT Control - 60/50
► A lower FT Control may result in the CPU to pass the ball about much more, and at pace, so again, the user has to be concerned with their positioning overall - and ensure they aren't over-committing players one way or the other.

Shorter Halves Set

♦♦♦ Goal: The focus here is to pack in as much realism as possible, but still ensuring those who prefer less minutes (4-8) can get the base experience of the OS sliders set. Granted, the balance of realism, challenge and convenience, is a tough task - but I think the base of the set is strong that only a couple values should need to be addressed.♦♦♦

Sprint - 50/50
► Leaving this value at default to ensure there is a fine balance between difficulties. The key point to balance it out will be the acceleration discrepancy in favor of the CPU.

Acceleration - 50/52
►A common theme to making the CPU engaged and forcing them to stay there. With time so much lower, it's important that there is still a challenge, but not so overbearing that it doesn't feel realistic per the sides chosen.

Shot Error - 55/55
► More shots on target is the goal here, but shot error is a fairly sensitive value this year that the odd poor strike can still be present.

Pass Error - 52/52
► Ensuring that there remains a crispness to the passing because time constraints mean we need more movement overall.

Shot Speed - 50/50
► Same as the other sets, it has the chance to be quite powerful, but shot error can be the modifier - although the shot error in the 50's is not as impactful compared to higher values.

Pass Speed - 50/50
► No need to change this value either because the error value is not significant enough that it will make that much of a difference to player passing capabilities.

Injury Freq - 90/90

Injury Sev - 40/40

GK Ability - 49/49
► No issues with the game still at 49. The very slight delayed response to the shots helps slight deflections, and the keepers are not catching everything. Still prone to the occasional mistake as well.

Marking - 62/62
► A jump down in the marking to allow just tad less resistance. The kicker here though is that the higher run frequency will push players into those marking positions as is, so there is no need to move the defending players out of position by raising marking to such a significant value.

Run Frequency - 40/40
► As mentioned, the run frequency is raised because we're at a time constraint, but at the same time the marking is lower - so defending players aren't pulled out of position as much from those runs off the ball.

Height - 51/51

Length - 46/45
► A very slight change is creating a discrepancy in favor of the user. This allows the the user's defensive positioning of the midfield to sit just a bit higher to block the forward passing lanes that often resulted in the CPU moving the ball from side-to-side and easily passing to their forward. With this change, they will now to use proper outlets such as pushing all the way to the opposite midfielder or sending a ball over the top - or even playing backwards.

Width - 48/48
► Another value that does not get any change because of the strength in narrowing the pitch defensively. It keeps every player goal-side as best as possible, with the exception being FBs in a 5-back formation, who stay too wide in that instance. Unfortunately, adjusting for that value can ruin the composition of the set, so it's better to leave as is until FIFA's tactical programming can improve their defending logic.

FB Pos - 10/10
► A good raise for the fullbacks as we need them a bit higher up the pitch. This does create a bit more of a counter-attack approach, but the defensive line should remain intact - not to mention the higher acceleration in favor of the CPU will place defending players in good spots to challenge.

FT Control - 55/55
► Just a bit on the low side here for both as it's enough to balance out the attacks, and ensure 50/50 balls can go to either User or CPU.

I am so glad to hear that you're enjoying the game. We were just discussing in the thread how much fun it's playing right now. Just a note, I'm actually in the middle of updating the OP (and will post here) of 3 versions of the sliders to accommodate for those who want to use the upcoming Version 3 set, Harder Legendary set and Shorter Halves set.

Regarding players into the box, I've found that Run Frequency at 5 (which I'll be including in the set) is a great compliment. Crosses are back and headers are going in. I've scored 2 in the last 3 matches, and been scored on by the CPU in 2. Try that out, but hopefully I can get everything updated here shortly for everyone to try out as well.

Will do Matt. Agreed with everything you you say. Just played 3 matches, liverpool and Barca vs city and the games were so busy and varied and unpredictable yet still ordered. This latest patch and your sliders have made for a much more exciting game...I'm so impressed with the teammate support. So much.more variety in runs compared to 1.16 which is where I updated from.

Then I.played as leipzig vs Chelsea away and the game is so tight and tactical.
And those few moments where I'm running with the ball as either werner or poulson at the back four with the other striker making his runs in support...it just feels so real, so much like what you see on tv when strikers run at defences having broken through the midfield line...and the feel and roll of the ball as you run with it, just great.

Thanks @Matt10 for sliders. I'll try them out once I reinstall F20 but its nice to see sliders for shorter halves. I could never get os sliders just right gor me due to mu preference for short games ( which I understand may not play as realistic)

@Matt10 I watched your last stream on yt and it looks good. Much better than what I recall when playing. Both teams players seem much more involved in defending and it looks more like team defending. Is this the results of recent updates and/or pushing up the marking sliders?
It has made me considering trying again this game with the OS sliders which was really not on my board before.

Thank you @Matt10, much appreciated as always.
I'm not registered on OS (yet) so I don't really know if you have already talked about this over there, but... Do you think that these V3 sliders could be used alongside @paulv2k4's gameplay mod perhaps?

FIFA 20 feels better with Paul's gameplay mod, but again it isn't quite there yet.
I'll definitely try these sliders (as I usually find the OS sliders pretty good indeed) but I don't know if these and Paul's mod go on well with each other or if they have mutual unwanted side-effects.

Thanks again!

Will do Matt. Agreed with everything you you say. Just played 3 matches, liverpool and Barca vs city and the games were so busy and varied and unpredictable yet still ordered. This latest patch and your sliders have made for a much more exciting game...I'm so impressed with the teammate support. So much.more variety in runs compared to 1.16 which is where I updated from.

Then I.played as leipzig vs Chelsea away and the game is so tight and tactical.
And those few moments where I'm running with the ball as either werner or poulson at the back four with the other striker making his runs in support...it just feels so real, so much like what you see on tv when strikers run at defences having broken through the midfield line...and the feel and roll of the ball as you run with it, just great.

Good teams to test for sure. I actually recorded a match against Leipzig where they got a red card - and they were still a force to be reckoned with. I think FIFA has done an incredible job in making teams feel like themselves, and adhere to the tactics/instructions assigned - but not the 100% rigid approach that PES has. It allows the sliders to breathe and build bases such as what we've got currently. Look forward to hearing more about your games!

Thanks @Matt10 for sliders. I'll try them out once I reinstall F20 but its nice to see sliders for shorter halves. I could never get os sliders just right gor me due to mu preference for short games ( which I understand may not play as realistic)

It's always a tough balance - and it took me a while to review the thread and those who had tried to play lower minutes (and stream/record th gameplay). I felt like I didn't have much time to build, but the more I played in that minute spot of 4-8 minutes (8 minutes feeling the best for me) it was actually not bad at all. Let me know how it goes and what your set up is.

@Matt10 I watched your last stream on yt and it looks good. Much better than what I recall when playing. Both teams players seem much more involved in defending and it looks more like team defending. Is this the results of recent updates and/or pushing up the marking sliders?
It has made me considering trying again this game with the OS sliders which was really not on my board before.

Hi papinho - a great compliment for me when you are considering trying 20 out :) . I know the love for FIFA 16 is strong, it is 100% still the same for me as well as you know. You won't get the patience build up that FIFA 16 AI exhibits. However, we know that this frostbite era has not been good overall, but 20 looks to have truly represented the 3 year (so far) scale of 17, 18, 19. There are definitely still some bugs, but they are lessened through sliders. The higher marking and more compressed HLW makes for a really nice look and attentive defensive position. They still man-mark, but the movement off the ball allows them to hand-off in good spots. 1v1 situations is the goal with FIFA 20 from a feature point of view, so rather than fight it with a lower marking, it was best to isolate those situations.

I look forward to your thoughts. Again, it's not FIFA 16's gameplay by any means - but I am honestly having a blast playing, and some of the versions posted surprised me. Maybe it's too much home time haha :)

Thank you @Matt10, much appreciated as always.
I'm not registered on OS (yet) so I don't really know if you have already talked about this over there, but... Do you think that these V3 sliders could be used alongside @paulv2k4's gameplay mod perhaps?

FIFA 20 feels better with Paul's gameplay mod, but again it isn't quite there yet.
I'll definitely try these sliders (as I usually find the OS sliders pretty good indeed) but I don't know if these and Paul's mod go on well with each other or if they have mutual unwanted side-effects.

Thanks again!

I know there have been some who use the gameplay mod. I couldn't recall though who. I think it's a brilliant mod and would love to try it myself as I've used all Paul's mod in previous FIFA's. It's just difficult when I'm trying to keep things as "clean" as possible for comparison's sake.

Let me know how it goes with the mod and the sliders. I'm looking forward to reading/watching the feedback.

Hi papinho - a great compliment for me when you are considering trying 20 out :) . I know the love for FIFA 16 is strong, it is 100% still the same for me as well as you know. You won't get the patience build up that FIFA 16 AI exhibits. However, we know that this frostbite era has not been good overall, but 20 looks to have truly represented the 3 year (so far) scale of 17, 18, 19. There are definitely still some bugs, but they are lessened through sliders. The higher marking and more compressed HLW makes for a really nice look and attentive defensive position. They still man-mark, but the movement off the ball allows them to hand-off in good spots. 1v1 situations is the goal with FIFA 20 from a feature point of view, so rather than fight it with a lower marking, it was best to isolate those situations.

I look forward to your thoughts. Again, it's not FIFA 16's gameplay by any means - but I am honestly having a blast playing, and some of the versions posted surprised me. Maybe it's too much home time haha :)

It is more like trying it out again. I bought it in November but didn't play it since mid December. So most of my critics are based on that short period of time and watching others video. In my opinion by mid December the game was in a bad shape. The 1vs1 defence thing disgusted me, even though it helped me to improve my defensive game for 16 (I am playing tactical defending since it was introduced). Overall I found the game was looking too static and really not looking like the real game. Gameplay mods only marginally improved that aspect of the game. The new defending design is what made me loose all my interest for this game. I could overlook the floatiness/skating feel because it felt like this game had an enormous potential, but this 1vs1 defending, no, no.

Also I like FIFA16, but most importantly I love the extended FIFA16 demo (Have you ever tried it out?). During that short amount of FIFA20 gaming time is was alternating with it and I always felt 16demo was giving me a closer experience to the game I love. More battle everywhere on the pitch, more half second decision moments, great tempos (tempi?), together with a great player individuality (the pro cam I use makes it stand out even more) and a decent ball physic with an acceptable players movement physic. If only the AI team could show more personality/variety in their playing approach it would very close from the perfect gameplay experience for me.

I will definitely update my Origin and FIFA20 to give your last sliders a try. I will let you know if it improved things for me.

Last edited:
My only experience with fifa this year was the ten free hours you get with the trial version. 😆
But I got plenty of mileage out of it, playing a couple of games after every patch for a few months, until it was clear as day that this will never get good enough for me to justify buying it.

We need a Fifa 21 thread soon! This thread was created exactly one year ago... but I wonder if EA/Konami will release their annual footy games on the same date this year. It doesn't make sense with leagues and the transfer window postponed everywhere. Can they justify a new game with no new transfers/rosters and without the next season under way to build hype? I think it makes more sense for them to delay the games this year and take advantage of the hype surrounding the next-gen consoles instead.

@manmachine Could you see EA moving backward next year with this 1vs1 thing though? This only kill any hype I could have in the egg. As for the other game, only the news of a new engine could get me excited.

Last edited:
@manmachine Could you see EA moving backward next year with this 1vs1 thing though?

Obviously I don't know and if I had to guess, I don't expect we'll get a good offline experience any time soon, even if they ditch 1v1s. Who knows what they'll think of next to make the game more accessible to 5 year olds and single player modes more miserable? 😄

But in a strange & perverted way, I think I'm looking forward to the pre-release rumours, screenshots and videos more than the actual games! Something to justify visiting a forum and talking footy video games at the very least. And who knows, if it's slightly better and still moddable...

Let me know how it goes with the mod and the sliders. I'm looking forward to reading/watching the feedback.
Thanks Matt!

First match (10 minutes, full manual, slow - V3 sliders with "pro" modifiers + paulv2k4's mod) is uploading.
Sorry if it's a long video but I kept it totally unedited.

What can I say about the match? First of all, I'm very poor at this game. Many find legendary too easy, I've been humped on professional.

Well, to be honest it's mostly me doing stupid things like committing too early/too late in defense (and you do pay it when the CPU has higher speed/accel) and not being able to finish, but... I've still lost 2-0 to Brescia.

A couple of things worth mentioning:
I intentionally attacked on the flanks at some point to see if the problem of defenders looking at you and letting you pass was solved (and it looks like it is, horray!)
It looks like there's a little problem (I don't know if it's the gameplay mod or if it's due to the sliders) with free kicks, which occurred a couple of times.
Tonali scored a perfect free kick from improbable range (again, I should've made the wall jump) so with shooting everything is alright.
It's when the CPU tried to cross the ball in for a header that Tonali mishit the ball big time a couple of times.
It happened at mminute 31 and minute 64, you'll notice the ball's path is unnatural: too high, too "soft" perhaps, and definitely unreachable.

Other than that, shots seem proper.
Passes made by me are a little underhit at times, but it felt like that also before (so it's not due to the sliders or to the gameplay mod).
Maybe I'll have to adjust the power bar a little, but it would then make shooting even more difficult (and I managed to never hit the target in the whole match already).

...and here's the full match, it's still uploading at the moment but it should be available soon (please don't judge my poor playing style):

I'll keep testing in the coming days (depending on when the wife decides I should play 🤣 ) and post any other finding.
IS there anything particular you'd like me to try? Specific teams? Or maybe CPU vs. CPU if it's possible? Let me know!

Another match, this time with better teams (not top-class teams but definitely better than Brescia and Anderlecht).

A very nice thing that happened is the penalty I've been awarded. A defender passed it back to the keeper but the pass was not powerful enough, so my forward could reach it before the keeper could.
I tried to fake the shot to get around the keeper, but he couldn't stop and mowed me down before I could do anthing.

Of course I missed the penalty, ça va sans dire.

Another good thing I noticed (which I forgot to mention earlier) is that at minute 44 I went down the wing with Capa, performed a skill move (I hardly ever do those but it seemed quite right in that situation) to wrong-foot Feddal, then when I tried to cross it in I completely scuffed it (probably because Capa was still off balance or maybe because Feddal pushed him a little trying to recover, I don't know... I hope so).

Here's, again, the full match (once again, I know I'm poor at this game. Sometimes I try playing it like it's FIFA 14 and I fail miserably):

I'm curious to see what happens with top class teams now...

Last edited:
Third match, this time with two of the best teams in the lot: PSG vs. Barcelona.

What should I say about this? Barcelona are deadly. For the first time since I've been trying the sliders with Paul's mod, I felt helpless at times.
They were pressing me hard (and this resulted in a higher than usual count of fouls on their side) and they would start tiki-taka and leave me helpless (and most of the time clueless) at will.
This is not a bad thing, as it's Barcelona. I mean, it's not like I've been seeing Mansfield Town doing so (which would be utterly unrealistic). It's Barcelona after all.

In the second half I doscovered the joy to use Neymar, Mbappe and Cavani but... I managed not to score this time either.

Good match after all, faster than the other ones for the majority of the time, entertaining... What you'd expect from top clubs facing each other!

Fourth and last match, League Two!
What a difference between the previous match and this one...

Crewe's pressing was way easier than Barcelona's one so we had more time on the ball. The match felt definitely slower with several misplaced passes and scuffed shots on both sides.

If this is how League Two matches usually play, I think I like it.

The only downside is that on loose balls the CPU seemed to always have the advantage (probably due to the higher acceleration and higher speed values): in a couple of occasions this has been blatant, but in many others this has been subtle and, honestly, not that bothering.

A couple of things: I haven't yet got my head around the way players move. They're more free than they were in the past but at times I feel like they're almost too "light". Surely it's a matter of getting used to it.
And the other, I don't know if it's me or not but... I still have the tendency to play this like FIFA 14 at times (wide, using the flanks much and crossing in) but I don't seen to win a header to save my life. Is it me or are they really this hard to pull off?
Also, AI-controlled defenders of mine don't quite look right to me, but they're better with this setup than they were without mods/sliders.

Thank you very much @Matt10, @paulv2k4, and everyone else involved in the slider set. I think I'll keep playing with this setup. :)

Was watching some of the ePremier League Invitational. The pro footballers actually make FIFA 20 look decent.

Where they have been coached all their lives in the fundamentals of the game, they can't help but play something resembling football.

My only experience with fifa this year was the ten free hours you get with the trial version. 😆
But I got plenty of mileage out of it, playing a couple of games after every patch for a few months, until it was clear as day that this will never get good enough for me to justify buying it.

We need a Fifa 21 thread soon! This thread was created exactly one year ago... but I wonder if EA/Konami will release their annual footy games on the same date this year. It doesn't make sense with leagues and the transfer window postponed everywhere. Can they justify a new game with no new transfers/rosters and without the next season under way to build hype? I think it makes more sense for them to delay the games this year and take advantage of the hype surrounding the next-gen consoles instead.

FIFA 21 coming in September and the new generation at the end of this year. Frostbite in both versions.

I'd be shocked if it's not delayed.

No, EA only care about money.
They need their biggest cash cow to be launched in time for Christmas.

Parents have to buy it for Christmas and then the kids have to spend their remaining money on FUT coins and players.

This is what makes me angry about this game:

I mean, defenders have been dumbed down considerably (maybe because now the so-called pros would finally stop selecting a midfielder and then letting the CPU-controlled players defend on their behalf?) and this is the result.

Full backs just staring at you while you walk by them (glad Paul's gameplay patch and the OS Community sliders have fixed that) and centre backs constantly refusing to track their man (it gets better with Paul's gameplay and with the OS Community Sliders, but it still happens as you can see).
The defender's behaviour in this case is just straight wrong in my eyes. He doesn't even try to track his man, he doesn't even CARE!
And this has happened like three times in three consecutive matches to me now.

Is this a problem of setting up the right team instructions (like... Man marking?) or is the CPU really this dumb regardless of what they're supposed to do per the team sheet?
I haven't played much 19 (not much at all actually) but I seem to remember defenders were smarter back then.

By the way, this is a career played on "professional" so this is probably the reason I had time to recover with the other man, but... Had it been on World Class or Legendary I would've been punished big time I guess.

I remember having this exacerbated using one of paul gameplay mod. You are using one of is mod right? Not sure it happened this much in the default game. But yeah defending is broken beyond any salvation.

Back
Top Bottom