FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Bought 20 a week or so ago after refusing to buy it, but lockdown being what it is...........

Today I have come to the conclusion that I hate it. I pretty much like everything in the game, new overly is nice, graphics seem better, tactics work, you can can attack nicely.....then as happens in football game you the opposition gets possession of the ball.

The defensive (also known as most important) part of the game is absolutely kiffed. Some (not all) of the issues I've encountered.

Defenders not closing down, defenders not tracking back, midfielders not tracking back then all of a sudden tracking the runner and being the last man, full backs tucking in for no reason. Centre midfielders not doing anything (at all), defence backing up to the 6 yard line, not being able to defend the dribble (no matter who the defender is and who the attacker is), nobody doing anything at all until you select them and then just running past the attacker, centre midfielders crossing over to track runners, centre midfielders both defending the same side of the pitch and so on.

No sliders, mods, prayers make a difference to this side of the game. At least the previously releases were playable with their faults but this is just something else.

Edit: Forgot, player switching doesn't work properly either.

Last edited:
@Matt10 Hey Matt, tried some Libertadores games with your sliders, felt really lovely, I appreciate a lot what you achieved here, matches looks way more "plausible" and well fought compared with the last time I touched this. It's a shame that you can't count on EA's stability (even if the fact they aren't touching stuff since many patches is promising) cause I think Fifa got a lot of things right this year.

I love that mode, it plays really nicely overall. So much individual skill and variety.

woow! finnaly I like fifa 2020 with your shorter half sliders! Thank you so much. The only downside is that now i’m thinking how good could fifa 20 be as the developpers focussed on offline gameplay? Beacause with your sliders it plays so amazing already.

Glad you've given them a go. They were tricky, but I'm overall content with how they turned out. It was a big demand that I would receive a lot from various users, so glad to hear they're working well!

Thanks for the updated Sliders @Matt10 I still had a 4 hours left on my EA Access trail (having previously not really liked the game). Tried the short halves Sliders and game plays really well and it is an enjoyable experience.

Bought 20 a week or so ago after refusing to buy it, but lockdown being what it is...........

Today I have come to the conclusion that I hate it. I pretty much like everything in the game, new overly is nice, graphics seem better, tactics work, you can can attack nicely.....then as happens in football game you the opposition gets possession of the ball.

The defensive (also known as most important) part of the game is absolutely kiffed. Some (not all) of the issues I've encountered.

Defenders not closing down, defenders not tracking back, midfielders not tracking back then all of a sudden tracking the runner and being the last man, full backs tucking in for no reason. Centre midfielders not doing anything (at all), defence backing up to the 6 yard line, not being able to defend the dribble (no matter who the defender is and who the attacker is), nobody doing anything at all until you select them and then just running past the attacker, centre midfielders crossing over to track runners, centre midfielders both defending the same side of the pitch and so on.

No sliders, mods, prayers make a difference to this side of the game. At least the previously releases were playable with their faults but this is just something else.

Edit: Forgot, player switching doesn't work properly either.
Thank you for making me feel sane again.

FIFA 19 is the much, much better game. Not that all of those things are fixed, but some of them certainly are - and other than graphical details, there's nothing I wish I could have in 19.

Thank you for making me feel sane again.

FIFA 19 is the much, much better game. Not that all of those things are fixed, but some of them certainly are - and other than graphical details, there's nothing I wish I could have in 19.

One of the things I'm really enjoying on this fifa is the teammate attacking AI.
Is that better in fifa 19?

One of the things I'm really enjoying on this fifa is the teammate attacking AI.
Is that better in fifa 19?

In my opinion, between the two 20 has the better attacking AI by a good margin. Last time I played 19 it was more a tiki taka fest with less variety.. not sure if there was some late patch or mod that changed it or made it more bearable tho, could totally be.

In my opinion, between the two 20 has the better attacking AI by a good margin. Last time I played 19 it was more a tiki taka fest with less variety.. not sure if there was some late patch or mod that changed it or made it more bearable tho, could totally be.

Don't you find they (attacking AI) very often try going to the goal line for a back pass and a tap in? I didn't give Matt sliders a proper go yet, I just played a couple of game with, but I feel I have to force myself to play more of this game which is not a good sign.

Don't you find they (attacking AI) very often try going to the goal line for a back pass and a tap in? I didn't give Matt sliders a proper go yet, I just played a couple of game with, but I feel I have to force myself to play more of this game which is not a good sign.

To be honest I haven't played with Matt's sliders a lot as well (too sucked up in other games atm), but for what it's worth I think I saw an at least decent variety of different tries. For example, nights ago a southamerican team scored me with an incredible outside of the box lob after my keeper punched away a corner a bit too far from his goal, wished I saved it.

But generally, so it relates to even before these new slides, this year I saw cpu going way more for different things compared with the last one.. for example more dribblings, ball shielding, possession mixed with tiki-taka and so on. In my previous career (so some months ago) I was pretty sure they often tried a couple of different ways to score me. What stayed with me instead from 19 was a CPU that most of the times tried only to tiki taka their way in..

Not sure if it's just my perception tho. Totally possible that being the game way better in the midfield and way more varied in the general players behaviour conditioned my mind for what happens in the final third. Will probably try it again to verify since now I'm curious :D.

There are mods that remove most of the faults that I had with 19, including game speed and the cpu attacking AI. Plus there are squad and kit updates now that bring it up to date.

Sorry I meant your own teammate AI... I find fifa 20 is the first fifa I can really build intricate, exciting moves on in the middle and final third.

How does fifa 19 compare in that sense?

Sorry I meant your own teammate AI... I find fifa 20 is the first fifa I can really build intricate, exciting moves on in the middle and final third.

How does fifa 19 compare in that sense?
Sorry mate my fault, don't think I've enough experience with 19 to properly answer you about this.

There are mods that remove most of the faults that I had with 19, including game speed and the cpu attacking AI. Plus there are squad and kit updates now that bring it up to date.

Which mods? I tried a squad db edit time ago but it didn't brought much results.

Sorry mate my fault, don't think I've enough experience with 19 to properly answer you about this.

Which mods? I tried a squad db edit time ago but it didn't brought much results.

There's a squad file for transfers, and Frosty files for kits, career mode and gameplay.

Just updated to 1.20. Game feels sturdier. More grounded. A little less skatey.

Also seems easier to play intricate short-pass moves.

Did they actually change anything gameplay wise?

Something that bugged me yesterday when playing this is that the team defending is not really ball oriented. The axis of the defense and midfielders remains super close to the centre of the pitch even if the ball is on a wing. Reducing the defense width in the tactic settings just make the team more compressed toward the centre of the pitch and let the wings wide open. I would like to have the possibility to crowd the side of the pitch where the ball is (at the risk of letting the opposite wing wide open), but the bare bones tactical options available don't allow me to do that. Setting the pressure to constant pressure doesn't make any significant difference in that regard.

Something that bugged me yesterday when playing this is that the team defending is not really ball oriented. The axis of the defense and midfielders remains super close to the centre of the pitch even if the ball is on a wing. Reducing the defense width in the tactic settings just make the team more compressed toward the centre of the pitch and let the wings wide open. I would like to have the possibility to crowd the side of the pitch where the ball is (at the risk of letting the opposite wing wide open), but the bare bones tactical options available don't allow me to do that. Setting the pressure to constant pressure doesn't make any significant difference in that regard.

You can do this by holding dpad down during a match. It brings up a 'overload ball side' option or something like that... have you tried it?

You can do this by holding dpad down during a match. It brings up a 'overload ball side' option or something like that... have you tried it?

Thanks! Nope, I didn't try it. Didn't know it was in there. How long the dpapd instructions remains active. Can we check which one is actually active? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Nope, I didn't try it. Didn't know it was in there. How long the dpapd instructions remains active. Can we check which one is actually active? Sorry for all the questions.

It stays active for the whole match. Once you hold the dpad down, you then press a dpad direction to select a tactic. It willhighligjt green once selected.

If you hold dpad up, a list of attacking options come up.

How do you guys find shooting? It’s the only thing frustrating me with the game at the moment. I think coming from pes I’ve found it difficult to adjust. Not sure if broadcast camera impacts it or not, but ball doesn’t seem to go where I want it to! I switched from assisted to semi which has helped some, but I create some great goal scoring chances and just can’t finish most of them.

How do you guys find shooting? It’s the only thing frustrating me with the game at the moment. I think coming from pes I’ve found it difficult to adjust. Not sure if broadcast camera impacts it or not, but ball doesn’t seem to go where I want it to! I switched from assisted to semi which has helped some, but I create some great goal scoring chances and just can’t finish most of them.

I have the same problem on broadcast cam too. If I'm attacking the goal along the side of the box, running straight at goal, all my shots go near post even if aim at far corner...

Does anyone know how to do an early cross, as in L1 and circle in pes?

I have the same problem on broadcast cam too. If I'm attacking the goal along the side of the box, running straight at goal, all my shots go near post even if aim at far corner...

Does anyone know how to do an early cross, as in L1 and circle in pes?
Try shot error at 65, really seems to improve things for me. Plenty of missed shots still, but they seem to be more relevant to the chance type and player as opposed to random. The game just feels a bit more alive in the penalty box since the change. Need to test more still but I’m really liking it so far.

I think I found my setup. I don't consider FIFA 20 the greatest football game ever by any means, but I found a setup that keeps me engaged enough (played 5 matches in a row yesterday while tweaking with match length and sliders) without frustrating me.

I decided (sadly) to do away with Paul's mod as (despite being a very good mod overall) kinda reverts the work done with the defenders by the latest OS community sliders, and now I'm happily using the latest set of OS sliders (with Pro modifiers) at Pro difficulty, full manual controls and 8 minute halves (I tried the "shorter halves" set but they resulted in a 4-3 defeat and in a 3-2 win, so I decided to revert to the original set).
I had a 1-1 draw (with me scoring in the stoppage time), a 1-0 win (with a very nice goal by Schenetti that got me jumping off the couch) and a 2-1 scraped win since.
It maybe feels a little too easy attacking wise, but I manage to miss many opportunities due to bad passing/shooting so I think we're somehow even.
I'll try to change the balance a little in favour of the CPU as I get the hold of it with time, maybe upping their "marking" slider a notch or two, or maybe I'll go up to World Class, why not.

Thank you again @Matt10 and everyone involved, FIFA is enjoyable again now. :)

Tried this on a whim yesterday.

It has made more difference to the defensive side off the game than sliders and mods combined. My team actually compresses the space and shuffles across like a real team does, no more are defenders getting isolated. It's actually amazing how much difference it makes, it should be the default way defenses are set up because it's how teams actually defend.

I'd encourage people to give it a go. Used it on 19 as well an it works just as good.

Tried this on a whim yesterday.

It has made more difference to the defensive side off the game than sliders and mods combined. My team actually compresses the space and shuffles across like a real team does, no more are defenders getting isolated. It's actually amazing how much difference it makes, it should be the default way defenses are set up because it's how teams actually defend.

I'd encourage people to give it a go. Used it on 19 as well an it works just as good.

I also found overload the ball side made a big difference and it feels more like it should be. Agree it should be the default also for cpu teams.

Not sure if it is a known game bug or the fact I used the above mentioned tactic all game (should do a control) but the stamina of my players was drained much much faster than the one of cpu players. My players were burnt while the cpu players still had 2/3 of their fatigue bar full. Even my GK was more tired than the cpu most tired player (which eliminate me using the sprint trigger too much).

As a result of the drained stamina (I assume it is that), the worst of this game shows up such as the poor defense behavior @*aLe pointed out some time ago:

I mean, come on number 3, what are you thinking?

Also what a poor goalkeeping...

Last edited:
Yeah my players stamina were all dead by the end of the game. Must be a bug affecting the tactic

Not sure if it is a known game bug or the fact I used the above mentioned tactic all game (should do a control) but the stamina of my players was drained much much faster than the one of cpu players.
Yeah my players stamina were all dead by the end of the game. Must be a bug affecting the tactic
It's not a bug. It's a feature.
To stop it being spammed online.

Just like braindead defenders isn't a bug. It's a feature.
To make it harder to defend online.

I'm not saying this as a "fanboy criticism", I'm saying, factually, they have prioritised the online gaming "fun" (and the FUT players' criticisms).

This is what I mean when I say I can't see a decent football simulation ever being produced again.

Here is official confirmation: Patch Update 12 Nerfs Overload Ball Side Tactics

It's not a bug. It's a feature.
To stop it being spammed online.

Just like braindead defenders isn't a bug. It's a feature.
To make it harder to defend online.

I'm not saying this as a "fanboy criticism", I'm saying, factually, they have prioritised the online gaming "fun" (and the FUT players' criticisms).

This is what I mean when I say I can't see a decent football simulation ever being produced again.

Here is official confirmation: Patch Update 12 Nerfs Overload Ball Side Tactics

Exactly, we're at the mercy of what the FUT guys think is accurate of their FUTball or not. Want to throw up a little bit in your SIM mouth? Look here:

Simple solution for me is to turn off tactics in FUTball, and turn them on for Offline/CM. I'm so tired of seeing EA cater to FUT players and lose their own vision. Sam Rivera said a lot of good things when he was introduced, and I can't help but think he's not getting what he wants from a visionary perspective.

As a result of the drained stamina (I assume it is that), the worst of this game shows up such as the poor defense behavior @*aLe pointed out some time ago
Luckily enough we have sliders.
A behaviour like that, done on purpose (like @Chris Davies said) is just unacceptable.
It shouldn't be upon us to fix it with sliders, come on!

But as I said in a previous post, it's by design. I see where they came from (many players switching to a midfielder and letting the AI defend for them) and I also thought it was something that should be addressed, but this is the exact opposite.
Now, at least with the default sliders, if you don't change defender three times during a play you'll be cut off because defenders just refuse to follow the action.
They're braindead.

And the icing on the cake is that the so-called self-appointed FIFA pros are happy with thikind of behaviour, and usually respond "git gud or get rekt" to people complaining that offline defending is broken because this way, online there's more skill gaaaaaaaap, u nooooob!!!1!!!11!11!11

We're not seeing any offline-focused football game anytime soon, I agree. :(

To be fair, it's not that I don't like the game.
With the latest OS Community Sliders I get fought matches, the occasional beating and the (even more occasional) 2-to-3-goal-margin win, but it's just sad to see how much potential they flushed down the drain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom