FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

I think I'll go with 17 when it comes to Frostbite games (I have enjoyed it for some time then the feeling went away), and with 14 when it comes to pre-Frostbite games.
To be honest I've just been playing 20 for a couple of weeks now (just bought it) and I totally skipped 19.

Don't get me wrong: 16 is a brilliant FIFA game and possibly the best of them all from a technical standpoint, but I hate how each and every CPU-controlled team just throws away any tactic they're assigned when they need a goal, and all of them start playing exactly the same way.
This doesn't happen in 14 (or at least if it does it's to a way smaller extent), and this is an advantage that 14 still has over every other FIFA game after it.

I used to prefer FIFA 14 for PC (you know, modding) but I also have the Xbox One version of it and it plays pretty well too.
What I don't like about 14 is the laser-guided auto tackles, though. You only have to go near an opponent and your player usually auto-tackles him with a perfect tackle, winning the ball.

This is my take on fifas over the last decade (games before are not very comparable):

11 and 2010 World Cup - perfect balance of everything. Truly great games from the gameplay standpoint, pinnacle of the series, before fut started to creep in. Did anyone else love those? I still play them occasionally. :TU:

13 - already different with the very slippery/wiggly payers (i guess that was the "360 movement") and new defending, but very fun game with all the new modes. Even though I prefer the gameplay from 11, I played it every day almost (even online), couldn't get enough. Great fun and memories. Creation center was still around. Games could be 0:0, could be 5:5. Most Brazilian clubs licensed. Ronaldinho in Atletico MG, Neymar in Santos, Forlan in Internacional... what a time!

2014 World Cup - Very quality special edition, it's a shame there was no PS4/Xbone version.

15 - From what little i got to play, it seemed like a fun game, I now regret skipping it.

16 - Pretty good, but something was missing for me. Fut infestation was in full swing by then, many features that made 13 fun were now gone.

14 - Weird one. Gameplay was ok, South America was finally taken care of in terms of licensing. But that was the generation transitional game, where the pitch looked like PES 2018 (on xbox 360). That really bugged me. The headers were very overpowered. I dont know how it was on the new consoles. Sold after a couple of months.

17/18 - I played a lot of 17, and just tried 18 for a week or so during the World Cup. Seemed very similar, same game almost. Only 18 had those abismal aesthetics. It's like everything was covered in soap or saliva, or idk what. Ok gameplay that gets boring quickly. And of course, by this time everything is about fut, regular modes are completely rejected, even the world cup game wasn't released. :PUKE:

19/20 - Just tried the demos. Felt exactly the same as 17 and 18. Quickly deleted.

12 - that's the one I truly couldn't stand after 11, played a few games and sold it. In hindsight, it felt like a beta version of 13 that really shouldn't have been released (yeah, right! :LOL:)

What's teammate AI like on 17? Can you put some good moves together?
Could you give a few major standouts re how 17 is better gameplay wise, please?
Mainly the CPU plays much more relaxed,not pass upfront the first thing they but more build up play.
Less ping pong up front.
As for team mates I'd say it's the same as every other FIFA game,it works pretty well,making runs etc.

As I stopped playing PES within a few weeks of release, I finally got bored of a lack of football and picked up FIFA.

Obviously I’m absolutely gash at it having rarely played FIFA games, and have dived into Ultimate Team.

Now my question is this, I played my 5 online games to get a ranking, (was humped in all 5 matches against insanely strong teams), got placed in Division 9 which I assume is low. Yet first game in I’m still playing against a team with legends, Mbappes, and rare cards. Is this normal? Am I just suffering from joining Ultimate Team too late? Will I ever be paired against trash teams/players like me?

Am I just suffering from joining Ultimate Team too late?
Yep. Same thing happens in both FIFA and PES. Anybody still playing will have been playing for a long time. Those who didn't spend money (or make enough to win superstars) have long gone.

Will I ever be paired against trash teams/players like me?
Very, very rarely. In my experience.

Seasons is better anyway - it's rubbish that there's no transfers, but at least you get balanced teams (and unlike PES, your teams from the squad-building modes can't magically appear in other modes)...

Yep. Same thing happens in both FIFA and PES. Anybody still playing will have been playing for a long time. Those who didn't spend money (or make enough to win superstars) have long gone.

Very, very rarely. In my experience.

Seasons is better anyway - it's rubbish that there's no transfers, but at least you get balanced teams (and unlike PES, your teams from the squad-building modes can't magically appear in other modes)...

Oh well, I might give seasons a bash

To be honest though, I’m still enjoying the Rivals stuff despite getting tanked. Possibly I’m still in a honeymoon period though, still gawking at just how much content FIFA has compared to PES.

One day I’ll win a game.

Despite some flaws I finally made my peace with Fifa 20 after I absolutely hated it in the beginning. Actually I'm having a lot of fun in career mode,
but since the latest update (or the update before, I'm not sure) I can't score from penalties anymore. It doesn't matter if I aim early, aim late or change direction in the last moment, the goalie is always in the right corner and saves it. Not sure if EA f...d something up or if I'm doing it wrong recently...

Despite some flaws I finally made my peace with Fifa 20 after I absolutely hated it in the beginning. Actually I'm having a lot of fun in career mode,
but since the latest update (or the update before, I'm not sure) I can't score from penalties anymore. It doesn't matter if I aim early, aim late or change direction in the last moment, the goalie is always in the right corner and saves it. Not sure if EA f...d something up or if I'm doing it wrong recently...
I just can't get on with the mechanics and player movement, feels so bad to me.

Funny enough, switching to a broadcast style camera has rekindled my interest in this game. I've dabbled with it in the past, but always revert back to what's familiar. To be honest, it makes the game more difficult which can be frustrating, but it looks so good. For the moment, the novelty is enough to have me playing match after match in Career Mode.

Funny enough, switching to a broadcast style camera has rekindled my interest in this game. I've dabbled with it in the past, but always revert back to what's familiar. To be honest, it makes the game more difficult which can be frustrating, but it looks so good. For the moment, the novelty is enough to have me playing match after match in Career Mode.

Broadcast should be default camera in FIFA just like in PES now.. Better style to play.

Ugh, I don't know what to do with this game... I have some great games... but then sometimes the AI just strolls between 2 of my CBs, while they watched... not moving, they might as well have been eating popcorn watching the striker waltz by... It's happens often and its infuriating. I try switching to the defender but it's too late...

Of course it wouldn't be a problem if I could make up my points in the table, but my Career mode top 4 team rivals are on track to lose 1-2 games in the season.

Couldn't agree more. I cannot play fifa on any other camera. It makes the game feel so one dimensional to play side-on. Incredible that panning angle makes everything better.
But then also it makes perfect sense. Perspective is everything and straight lines are dull as hell.

More customisation would be so welcome on console. I avoid playing at some stadiums because I cant reconcile the disparity between in game and real life tv camera angles.
Weird I know but my brain will not let me ignore it...

Version 2 of the OS Sliders are complete. Here's the explanation video:

Camera: Broadcast, Height 0, Zoom 20 Pro|WorldClass|Legendary|Ultimate, 10 -15 minutes, Slow/Normal speed; Controls: Manual/Semi/Assisted, Handball On (Value after | indicates for Pro and World Class)
Sprint - 48/48
Accel - 50/50 | 50/52
Shot Error - 70/70
Pass Error - 55/55
Shot Speed - 49/49
Pass Speed - 50/50
Inj Freq - 90/90
Inj Sev - 40/40
GK Ability - 49/49
Marking - 72/72
Run Freq - 2/2
Height - 51/51
Length - 45/45
Width - 48/48
FB Pos - 2/2
FT Control - 52/52

Last edited:
I got such a massive hard on right now....
...And I don't even play FUT!

ESLAWSlXkAEUzG8

ESLUkupWAAACTu-

I got such a massive hard on right now....
...And I don't even play FUT!

ESLAWSlXkAEUzG8

ESLUkupWAAACTu-
The sad part is that he's probably gonna be bashed and shitted on from most FUT junkies because he's not quick and agile enough and he's not META...Man,i wanna smash my head to the wall when i hear this fucking word..

@Dennis_87 What the hell is META? hahaha
Hahaha,well it's a term that only onliners use and say but it's just such a stupid word that it gives to my nerves lol.
It is used when they want to describe a system or a player that is effective to how the game plays etc.
For example Scholes is not a meta player because he's not quick or agile or strong enough so nodody picks him,but a special card of Ben Yedder for example is meta because he's quick and agile and everyone wants to have him.All this shit have trashed so many good players and legends and FUTers just want to have the same meta players for their teams and anyone else who is considered slow and not agile enough is useless.
Everything is about speed and agility and high weak foot accuracy and high skill moves...Online ''football'' logic in a nutshell.

Oh. I'm very ignorant when it comes to terminology referrered to gaming/online/FUT/MyClub. Thank you.

I remember that in FIFA 13 (I really enjoyed it), players like Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas would make a difference. Slow players that would just slaughter you with a killing pass played into the open space. Most players couldn't do that.
Then, obviously, pace was also important. If you had one or two great passers and once quick player, it was the perfect formula.
Now, all you need is the fast players.

Pace will always be important in football and in football games. I don't think that's wrong. The issue is how unbalance it becomes because of how easy it is to pass the ball to the sides, to a winger and then just turn and start sprinting.

so 2 teams are missing,Barcelona Group A,guarani Group B,and there's bug with group E,you cant place 2 brazilian teams in same group to be able to play it like real group stage

I just can't get on with the mechanics and player movement, feels so bad to me.

I get your point and I feel the same regarding the animations, to be honest. But I rather try to focus on what the game offers me than what it lacks. So the variation of shots and passes, the unpredictability on the pitch and the player individuality makes it really enjoyable for me when it comes to gameplay. Not to mention the huge amount of licences, game modes, stadiums and atmosphere. We just bought a surround system for our living room and now the stadium sound with fans in the background feels really spot on.
Fifa 20 surely is far from perfect but together with NHL 20 it keeps me playing my sports games untill the whole madness in September/October begins again.

One thing this Libertadores add-on does, is make you realise just how much better the game is with lower-rated teams. Like, another level better. It makes you realise that a huge problem with the game is just what happens when you start using 80+ rated players.

(That, and no fouls. But given that the current defending system involves never getting near an opponent, and that the AI rarely slides in, that's here forever, I think.)

I started a tournament as C.S.D. Independiente del Valle - who I know absolutely nothing about, but they were something like 2.5 stars, in a group of similarly matched teams (except for Palmeiras, who are much better).

Playing on the PS4 (so, standard gameplay, on slow, Legendary, with @Matt10's sliders but amended slightly to try and reduce the AI's tiki-taka), I really enjoyed my group stage. Playing against a one-star team they genuinely misplaced and underhit passes (almost entirely due to their pass speed slider being adjusted though, I think) - and both sides had to use build-up play.

Playing Palmeiras, they played much faster football, and I struggled to keep up, and to find pass targets. It was more challenging because they played better football, not because they played impossible football.

I played an EPL game afterwards just to compare and only lasted a few minutes.

I get your point and I feel the same regarding the animations, to be honest. But I rather try to focus on what the game offers me than what it lacks. So the variation of shots and passes, the unpredictability on the pitch and the player individuality makes it really enjoyable for me when it comes to gameplay. Not to mention the huge amount of licences, game modes, stadiums and atmosphere. We just bought a surround system for our living room and now the stadium sound with fans in the background feels really spot on.
Fifa 20 surely is far from perfect but together with NHL 20 it keeps me playing my sports games untill the whole madness in September/October begins again.
To be honest I've been playing a bit more, knocking more or less everything to 48 improves it a lot more

Jesus, the latest patches killed it for me. Tried it after a long time and it sucks. Every team is overpowered and plays an unrealistic ping pong at 300 km/h.

Awful awful game, Feel really bad for matt and the good people trying to fix things.....So sad.

I'm having a blast. Just finished a 1-0 win in the coppa italia as Cagliari vs Empoli. So many subtle little touches and confrontations. Wish I had saved replays, but will make sure to grab some next time.

I recognize both @Madmac79 and @Matt10 experiences playing this game,outside The PL this game can and will be pretty damn good (if you can see past skating/paper thin player models).
The PL is horrible to play 300mph passing etc.
I'd still play this game if the human (non controlled) team mates in defence weren't complete idiot's.
That's my game breaker.
Worst defending in years.
Maybe I'm not playing it right...

The "meta" = the gameplay weak-spots that you have to know about, and exploit, to win.

This year's "meta" is run down the wings and cut-back for a tap-in, which needs pace and agility.

Same as every other year...

This. This times 9 million.

I’m not fluent at FIFA, but have been mostly appreciating it, apart from this.

I’m rubbish at the mechanics, have a rag tag bunch of misfits of a squad (although good chemistry) but time after time I’m punished with this tactic.

It makes me want to buy a microphone and scream at them “CLEARLY I’M BAD, IT’S 5-0, TRY AND SCORE A GOOD GOAL AND STOP WATCHING THE BLOODY REPLAYS”

But that would highlight my poor mental state. Which is probably not the best idea..

Back
Top Bottom