FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Luckily enough we have sliders.

To be fair, it's not that I don't like the game.
With the latest OS Community Sliders I get fought matches, the occasional beating and the (even more occasional) 2-to-3-goal-margin win, but it's just sad to see how much potential they flushed down the drain.

The video I posted above was with OS sliders V3 but with the speed and acc sliders for the CPU set equal to the user, so no advantage for the CPU there (WC).
I think the low stamina of my CB exacerbated it, but still...

Simple solution for me is to turn off tactics in FUTball, and turn them on for Offline/CM. I'm so tired of seeing EA cater to FUT players and lose their own vision. Sam Rivera said a lot of good things when he was introduced, and I can't help but think he's not getting what he wants from a visionary perspective.

I hadn't played Madden in a while but gave it a shot with one of those free subscriptions. I saw an option for arcade or simulation. So ea already have two gameplay types in their game.
Arcade description said more over the top plays and less penalties if I recall.Why don't they add this to fifa. Simulation and FUT. I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here.

Seems impossible to satisfy both online and offline players. Today I remembered the fun I had online in fifa 16 a while ago. It wasn't perfect but things keep getting worse every year with fut gaining more popularity.

The game is in a much more playable state with the OS sliders V3. Shooting is merciless though :)
I wish the game would have more physical battles resulting on fouls (+ a more team oriented defending obviously).
Give 65 shot error a go. Made shooting much more enjoyable for me. Still challenging but less frustrating. I gave the same value to the CPU also and I’m still seeing plenty of missed shots. Just makes the penalty box a bit more dangerous.

Sorry to ask here, cause i forgot the latest discussion here by @Chris Davies . Between 2020-2019-2018 the best version to play was 18 or 19? I am messing with 3 most recent FIFAs on PS4 18-19-20 and i forgot what you said. I would go straight for 17, but the ball size is very annoying! And maybe next month i will i finally buy 2016 from PS store, as it doesn't seem to take a discount.
For FIFA 2020, although i am not a well-experienced FIFA player, to judge it correctly, but as @rockstrongo said in the past, every time i switch the cursor, i feel like i am waking someone up. It is the case in the other game too, but here it is very obvious cause it is more responsive at general.

For fun: For the lover of competitive online, i would suggest the next gameplay mechanics to be like the video below. I could not find the same board-game i had as a kid,but i found something similar.

PROS:
-much 1vs1 only battles,
-skill gap,
-no physical contacts and no fouls at all.
-no AI defending :D :)

Frostbite Engine has no potential for football games, FIFA 17 was decent, because it's always nice playing in a new engine, but more than a graphical upgrade, it didn't do a lot.
I never had that less enjoyment playing FIFA 18, 19 or 20, still can't play it to be honest that I had ever with a football game.

Also their focus is completely wrong, you can see this the way they advertise their product and in the gameplay:
- New "upgrades" means fancy kit designs,
- El Tornado skill (WTF)
- Not showing gameplay features in reveal trailers
- Obtaining licenses like the Copa Libertadores, but then not be able to recreate it's typical atmoshpere (boring games to play even with the broadcast package)
- Implementing even less realistic things, like timed finishing because this ofcourse happens in reallife football
- poor ball physics
- defenders passing to each other with the outside of their foot, in consequence, the ball even then goes in a straight line (should at least have spin on it)

Fifa just needs a new engine, or revert back to the old one

Sorry to ask here, cause i forgot the latest discussion here by @Chris Davies . Between 2020-2019-2018 the best version to play was 18 or 19?
19 for me. I was really enjoying a World Cup in 18, until I came up against a five-star team, and the gameplay immediately changed into a horrible tiki-taka silly-fest. 19 is an improvement, IMO - and possibly the last FIFA that won't be completely ruined by the demands of FUT and online players. Even though it's obviously already impacted by FUT in a few areas.

Sorry to ask here, cause i forgot the latest discussion here by @Chris Davies . Between 2020-2019-2018 the best version to play was 18 or 19? I am messing with 3 most recent FIFAs on PS4 18-19-20 and i forgot what you said. I would go straight for 17, but the ball size is very annoying! And maybe next month i will i finally buy 2016 from PS store, as it doesn't seem to take a discount.

I "think" F18 also suffers from the minuscule ball if I recall correctly. However, out of those 3 for me, 18 is the one I played and enjoyed the most. I know Chris Davis said he encountered tiki taka in 18, but F19 for me had awful tiki taka in a few games I played (although the ones that didn't played kinda nice). F20 is ok but I just find it boring.
For me, of the frostbite games, I'd take 17 tbh (Small ball and all). Like someone said, it keeps some of the DNA from F16.

I'm currently enjoying F16, def give it a try but if you have a PC do get it there so you can FIFA Infinity patch it. I think it should run in a potato pc.

For FIFA 2020, although i am not a well-experienced FIFA player, to judge it correctly, but as @rockstrongo said in the past, every time i switch the cursor, i feel like i am waking someone up. It is the case in the other game too, but here it is very obvious cause it is more responsive at general.

For fun: For the lover of competitive online, i would suggest the next gameplay mechanics to be like the video below. I could not find the same board-game i had as a kid,but i found something similar.

PROS:
-much 1vs1 only battles,
-skill gap,
-no physical contacts and no fouls at all.
-no AI defending :D :)

My take on 18-19-20 is that I don't like 20 at all,haven't played it for a few updates,but defending is still a one man job right?
Team mates watching while you defend?
I can't see past that.
Very few football teams in the world have the luxury of just being able to have a stunning attack and very little to do in their own half,for me defence is where you start to build your squad.
But that's me,lots of people don't care about a solid defence,or solid defence mechanisms.

I like 19,feels a bit stiff,18 is very underated,probably the last FIFA I enjoyed more than 1-2 seasons.
Ball size isn't bugging me anymore to be honest,I mainly play broadcast cam and it's not that noticeable when doing it.
Still think 17+18 are miles better than 20 and 19

I love that mode, it plays really nicely overall. So much individual skill and variety.

Glad you've given them a go. They were tricky, but I'm overall content with how they turned out. It was a big demand that I would receive a lot from various users, so glad to hear they're working well!

couple of questions for the shortslider sets.

legendary is some times a little to hard for me can I lower the accelration to 51 like the longerhalf sets?
I found worldclass the most realistic. But also sometimes to easy. Specialy defending, cpu is scoring to little. Can I change shorterror for cpu back to 50?
I understand off course I can but I don’t want to mess upp overal gameplay because that is very good!

3. I haven’t good feelings by slow gamespeed espacially through the beginning of this fifa 20 edition. Can you tell my what the main difference is with normal speed. At first it was broken, now I don’t get it. But normally slower is better/more realistic.

kind regards,
Joël

19 for me. I was really enjoying a World Cup in 18, until I came up against a five-star team, and the gameplay immediately changed into a horrible tiki-taka silly-fest. 19 is an improvement, IMO - and possibly the last FIFA that won't be completely ruined by the demands of FUT and online players. Even though it's obviously already impacted by FUT in a few areas.
Also on xbox one? Because I sell my copy for fifa 20. thankfully his sliders saved my copy of fifa 20 :).

My take on 18-19-20 is that I don't like 20 at all,haven't played it for a few updates,but defending is still a one man job right?
Team mates watching while you defend?
I can't see past that.
I see your frustration, I felt the same!
It used to be like that (and it still is as far as I know) if you don't apply a set of sliders. With sliders it gets better, though.

I had this one back in the day. :)
...along with Subbuteo, of course.

I played all 3 last night. Lol I meant 18-19-20.
Thanks @Chris Davies, @el niche and @rockstrongo for the tips. :)
Question about 2020 CM, (or every fifa CM). When I play in a league outside Europe, is everything connected with the Fifa club world cup, like pes, or if I go to J-League, I am trapped to play only there, or can I win league!/regional CL and meet other world clubs at FCWC? Also is there a fake or original AFC CL at all?

@*aLe - - - >spoiler

YEP I had both, remembered them when I was searching for the board game with the coils for my joke above. Pro Action Football was my love. Mentioned them on retro topic the other day :) ;)

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-retro-pes-corner.78697/page-263#post-3531636

Last edited:
I see your frustration, I felt the same!
It used to be like that (and it still is as far as I know) if you don't apply a set of sliders. With sliders it gets better, though.
I always play with OS sliders,maybe updates have made this game better.
But if defending is broken (still) it's not for me

I liked the idea of a Italia 90 mod by @gonriver for PES

There's a charm to Italia 90 that persuaded me to try PES again.

Just wondering if there is there anything similar for FIFA 20?

I cannot believe I am gonna say that, but this game, using the OS sliders V3, is growing on me.
Playing with top team vs the like of conmebol is like playing two different games. With the later the rhythm is like two time slower and everything feels quite scrappy. I am playing with manual settings and I had to decrease the shot error to 60 otherwise I was missing elephants in a corridor (I decreased it at 65 for the CPU). With top teams the shooting at 70 was fine (which brings water to the mill concerning manual settings and the players attribute influence).

I am doing a copa libertadores with Aliance Lima and I really like the differences in the tactical approaches of CPU teams. Games feel really different from one another. I like also the CPU adapting its tactic according to the match development. Player individuality is quite good when controlling a player or when the CPU is controlling it.

I am also starting to get the hang at defending and (I am almost ashamed to admit it) I am having pleasure at defending. Yes, you have to awake your players, but I kind of like the reflection and the decision making you have to do of whether controlling the defender closing down the ball carrier, or cutting the passing lane and sending a teammate to do the closing down. I remain persuaded it would feel equally or even more fun if defending was the result of true team effort though.

What I miss the most when compared with the footy game I played lately (FIFA16) is the collision physics and the collision detection by the ref. The game is physical but not physical enough to my taste and I feel they are many small fouls which are not given by the ref where in 16 they would be given.

I cannot believe I am gonna say that, but this game, using the OS sliders V3, is growing on me.
Playing with top team vs the like of conmebol is like playing two different games. With the later the rhythm is like two time slower and everything feels quite scrappy. I am playing with manual settings and I had to decrease the shot error to 60 otherwise I was missing elephants in a corridor (I decreased it at 65 for the CPU). With top teams the shooting at 70 was fine (which brings water to the mill concerning manual settings and the players attribute influence).

I am doing a copa libertadores with Aliance Lima and I really like the differences in the tactical approaches of CPU teams. Games feel really different from one another. I like also the CPU adapting its tactic according to the match development. Player individuality is quite good when controlling a player or when the CPU is controlling it.

I am also starting to get the hang at defending and (I am almost ashamed to admit it) I am having pleasure at defending. Yes, you have to awake your players, but I kind of like the reflection and the decision making you have to do of whether controlling the defender closing down the ball carrier, or cutting the passing lane and sending a teammate to do the closing down. I remain persuaded it would feel equally or even more fun if defending was the result of true team effort though.

What I miss the most when compared with the footy game I played lately (FIFA16) is the collision physics and the collision detection by the ref. The game is physical but not physical enough to my taste and I feel they are many small fouls which are not given by the ref where in 16 they would be given.
100% agree. Especially about the defending. It’s playing a really good game at the moment.

I'm on PC/PS4 but I'm up for some games if people are. Didn't there used to be a list of everyone's gamer tags somewhere on here?

Have you tried using locale.ini edits on top of the sliders? I'm seeing a few more fouls - not many, but a few - and a bit more individuality in terms of dribbling.

Have you tried using locale.ini edits on top of the sliders? I'm seeing a few more fouls - not many, but a few - and a bit more individuality in terms of dribbling.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure where to start with locale.ini editing. Do you use Paulv2k4 tool to edit it?

Last edited:
Me and 5 friends played ten games of Pro clubs today,though game play on that is a bit shit,still enjoyed that mode a lot.
Had a CM game earlier,will deffo update to V3 of OS sliders and try them out,kinda enjoyed the old slider set on my Stuttgart save

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure where to start with locale.ini editing. Do you use Paulv2k4 tool to edit it?
His tool is fantastic (here if anyone else wants to try it), given that there's a little description next to most of the boxes.

But I've found that using just the INI file from his gameplay mod (available here) is an improvement to the game (the Frosty mod part isn't to my taste, but the INI file makes a difference on its own and I find it opens play up a little more, and encourages a few more fouls).

I started a career with Stoke with Matt's OS sliders and the Paul's ini file as suggested from Chris.

I played two games so to take it with a pinch of salt, but damn they both played so brilliantly. Solid midfield action, mixed and varied AI tries, CPU players movements that generally felt finally acceptable, especially in defense where the game suffers the most. Surely the fact I'm playing Championship is a factor too. Anyway the first match against QPR ended 0-0 and the second one against Charlton I lost 1-0 due to a defensive bad rebound punishing me.

I feel they are many small fouls which are not given by the ref where in 16 they would be given.

I especially agree with this. Although I'm getting some foul here and there or at least attempt at sliding, ruthless tackles, there are so many blocks or little kicks that the referee could at least whistle like half of the time, or even some 70/30. Instead he never does.

Man what this game could be with the right focus.

Last edited:
His tool is fantastic (here if anyone else wants to try it), given that there's a little description next to most of the boxes.

But I've found that using just the INI file from his gameplay mod (available here) is an improvement to the game (the Frosty mod part isn't to my taste, but the INI file makes a difference on its own and I find it opens play up a little more, and encourages a few more fouls).
Thanks, I'll check it out. Is there a way to get rid of the 'ball side overload' stamina depletion that EA introduced? Seems ridiculous that it reduces stamina so much.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Is there a way to get rid of the 'ball side overload' stamina depletion that EA introduced? Seems ridiculous that it reduces stamina so much.

Especially when it's vital to make your team vaguely resemble a defensive unit. I've been experimenting with just using it when defending. It's fiddly but works to conserve stamina.

Back
Top Bottom