FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

I should probably stop even reading or watching anything about this game, it's a total mess that is the polar opposite of what I want from a football game, it just pisses me off the more I think about it. It's hardly even worth pointing out specific instances of bad movement/physics or positioning when the whole game is so fucked from the ground up.

As much as I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like what I see, I'm hoping that translates into some of you actually not purchasing the game. There's no point complaining about any of it if you buy the thing anyway.

View attachment 54459

Sums it up, right from the start.
6.00.gif

They must be talking about a parallel universe. Bleacher Report - clueless as always when it comes to association football.
Well if the guy thought FIFA 20 had "defensive fortresses" and now thinks defenders are basically just traffic cones... Can you imagine how much worse the balance must be now between attack and defence?

IF anyone's wondering what the big ''Competitive mode'' is, its where the bronze AI team beats your full gold squad in the 90th minute.

Besides all the things already mentioned here I noticed this terrible through ball at 2:35. From the own half almost to the opponents box. Played out of a standing position and with the outside of the foot. Advertised as one of the fundamentals of football. As somebody said, I didn't expected much and yet am disapointed.

I can't help imagining an EA guy telling me directly in my hear, in a little devil fashion, "man, if you get that card!!!..."

Again from the pitch notes: "90 (rating) is significantly better, and 99 is exponentially superior". EXPONENTIALLY! We don't know what the exponential curve looks like exactly, but this could well mean that the difference on the pitch between 90 and 99 rating is the same or bigger than the difference between 0 and 90.

Get the best Van Dijk cards and he'll block/intercept/tackle everything that moves. Plus stick with the defensive mentality/formation that actually works in fut (the rest not so much, but offline the teams will gladly use them). Combine it with the lack of offensive runs. Now you may start getting where the "defensive fortresses" perception comes from. It's just the fut perspective with teams using optimal (meta) tactics & the best meta cards.

So take that, add the offensive/smart/manual runs and you get 21. Personally I trust what my eyes see in videos exponentially more than what is written in the pitch notes. It's all very detailed, some things may even sound good and it doesn't have to be BS, but how it actually looks & plays out in practice is the only thing that matters.

Last edited:
What actually annoys me with the way personality is described, is that attributes seems to trigger behaviour. Pretty much like PES players style cards.
In my opinion attributes should affect the frequency and the quality of the execution of the said behaviour, not if it can happen or not (skill moves may be being an exception).

Last edited:
This looks awful

I wonder if we will have fouls and handballs back in the game?

Smoother Encounters
To promote a smoother game flow in FIFA 21, we created new animation systems and combined them to better decide how players interact physically with each other. This will reduce the amount of chaotic situations in the game.
  • Better understanding of running paths to prevent players running into each other.
  • Refined system to enable players to jump over and avoid fallen players.
  • If a collision does happen, players will adjust their body to avoid head on collisions and receive a smaller impact.

Translation: I can't see how this won't result in even fewer fouls. It's an e-sports game. The only acceptable source of fouls is bad sliding tackles, assuming the player with the ball does not simply jump over it. Because game flow.

(Oh, I remember a funny clip from last summer! 2 guys were playing against each other and they were trying to commit a foul on purpose just to test the new free kick system in 20 and they just couldn't foul each other for like 2 minutes!).

Last edited:
Just watched the video and the creative runs stood out. Did a bit of research and I knew they'd done something similar, it was called "off the ball" controls and introduced in...

Fifa 04 😂
I think I remember it being in PES 2008 for the Wii as well...

90% of these features will disappear after the 2nd update as usual and we'll end up with fifa 15 as usual lol
I wish that were the case as it would be an improvement, FIFA 15/16 were the last decent ones. Seems to be getting worse every year from 17 onwards.

I wish that were the case as it would be an improvement, FIFA 15/16 were the last decent ones. Seems to be getting worse every year from 17 onwards.
It was in FIFA 2004 and was improved in FIFA 2005. From 2006 onwards it was removed. For the record in FIFA 2005 it used to work eons much better than how it works now in PES 2020!

FIFA 15 was the last FIFA I played a little bit, at least the pure arcadey side of it was still there so you could get out of it what you want. Hated 16! Since then the gameplay is just lost. Its 'Frankenstein FIFA Ball'.

EA are just mocking people, you WILL buy FIFA because its trendy! That's their full attitude now, 10 years ago they at least knew behind all the gimmicks they need to try make a good game.

EA need a new engine from scratch but i honestly think they are in a worse situation than Konami were in 2007 when PES 2008 hit, they have done nothing but count FUT profits and add more and more bells and whistles. The problem is the core doesn't allow any developments because it has so many limits, bugs and flaws

Starting out with FIFA 95 and 96 and playing FIFA from 2003-2010 in the shit years along with PES in golden years is why I have no hope, its the same bull every year and I have simply not seen the same passion guys like Huges Ricour, Joe Booth and god rest his soul, Simon Humber used to have. Not only that FIFA 09-10-11-12 while i didn't like any of them, only World Cup 2010. They all had freedom, manual was still manual, you could have hours of fun vs mates, online was the usual shit but online manual had such an awesome community, this is all long gone.

FIFA will have to crash before it ever gets better. They stopped caring so long ago.

Last FIFA I enjoyed was FIFA 14! That was still the same old shit, but it was fun against mates and whoever while travelling.

I'll be back to report this years game as usual play the demo but I will test as i did last year to see if the canned Stepovers are still there. Yes canned skills where the ball is still baked into the animation and moves without the player touching it. I might get a PS5 to see if its predictably still in the PS5 version. No matter if its the usual 4/10 i wanted to buy FIFA last year for Volta but that canned bullshit plus the god awful, broken passing model put me right off and how generic and lack of personality volta had.

FIFA 15 was the last FIFA I played a little bit, at least the pure arcadey side of it was still there so you could get out of it what you want. Hated 16! Since then the gameplay is just lost. Its 'Frankenstein FIFA Ball'.

EA are just mocking people, you WILL buy FIFA because its trendy! That's their full attitude now, 10 years ago they at least knew behind all the gimmicks they need to try make a good game.

EA need a new engine from scratch but i honestly think they are in a worse situation than Konami were in 2007 when PES 2008 hit, they have done nothing but count FUT profits and add more and more bells and whistles. The problem is the core doesn't allow any developments because it has so many limits, bugs and flaws

Starting out with FIFA 95 and 96 and playing FIFA from 2003-2010 in the shit years along with PES in golden years is why I have no hope, its the same bull every year and I have simply not seen the same passion guys like Huges Ricour, Joe Booth and god rest his soul, Simon Humber used to have. Not only that FIFA 09-10-11-12 while i didn't like any of them, only World Cup 2010. They all had freedom, manual was still manual, you could have hours of fun vs mates, online was the usual shit but online manual had such an awesome community, this is all long gone.

FIFA will have to crash before it ever gets better. They stopped caring so long ago.

Last FIFA I enjoyed was FIFA 14! That was still the same old shit, but it was fun against mates and whoever while travelling.

I'll be back to report this years game as usual play the demo but I will test as i did last year to see if the canned Stepovers are still there. Yes canned skills where the ball is still baked into the animation and moves without the player touching it. I might get a PS5 to see if its predictably still in the PS5 version. No matter if its the usual 4/10 i wanted to buy FIFA last year for Volta but that canned bullshit plus the god awful, broken passing model put me right off and how generic and lack of personality volta had.
I've lost all hope for FIFA until there is a complete rebuild but it doesn't look like that is coming. "Next-gen" would surely have been the time to do this, but the only info I can see about "next-gen" are cosmetic/loading time improvements. If they were actually doing something significant with the gameplay we'd probably know by now.

You see what has become possible for game animation/physics/AI in recent years and it's just an absolute joke what we end up having to settle for in football games, especially considering the sheer amount of money EA rake in each year. They can write 10k words in "pitch notes" about the incremental changes all they want, but any number of tweaks (or sliders) over any number of years can't fix this or do anything interesting with it, especially when the game is designed primarily for FUT clowns.

With the hundreds of millions EA are making each year, they could be leading the way in researching technology to make innovative gameplay, but every year it's the same turgid formula with canned animation with as you say, the ball itself baked into the animations and predetermined ball trajectories/behaviours from most actions. All these gameplay mechanics could exist on PS3 and most of them on PS2, and we're going to end up with the same shit on PS5.

Last edited:
Have somebody read this thread?

Aside from the fact that DDA is surely there.. this bit:

FIFA Direct Communication su Twitter- -As mentioned bef.jpg

Is where my final drop of hope got lost forever.

Won't waste my time tweeting to this clown and his shills on that timeline.

But if the game was about football simulation as he says, Then why are fouls & handballs removed without explanation, and why is he talking to the community just when the hype train is about to start?

These people have no shame and should be in jail for what they're doing to young kids who are being exploited for loving the beautiful game.

If anyone thinks my ideas on sports games animation/physics etc sound too optimistic, I'll just put this here;

This game is 10 years old and ran on 360/PS3, and had proper footplanting/physics for all players. As an overall game it wasn't brilliant (though I'm no NFL fan) and didn't get any sequels, but on a technical level this game was trying to do things in such a revolutionary way. These developers probably had not even 1% of FIFA's budget.

Guys I will say a shocking truth that will bamboozle everyone.

Did ya all know that once a new console gets released, the battery on the old console slowly dies out? This is why the graphical capabilities of the old consoles degrade.

This is why fifa 14-18 in ps3 looked like poo poo.

And now Fifa 21 on ps4 will look like pee pee too.

Stop creating stupid pitch notes, trash talk and make a football game.

Biggest mistake is always trying to make simulation instead of fun and entertainment game. Since they try and work on "simulation" all games gone wrong and destroyed everything.

Take ball, go outside and simulate.

Guys I will say a shocking truth that will bamboozle everyone.

Did ya all know that once a new console gets released, the battery on the old console slowly dies out? This is why the graphical capabilities of the old consoles degrade.

This is why fifa 14-18 in ps3 looked like poo poo.

And now Fifa 21 on ps4 will look like pee pee too.

Is it a joke? I can't tell.

I'm going to give it some time till the game/beta becomes available before passing a lot of judgement or assumptions. My approach is that overall this must be a tough balancing act, and in its midst, someone is going to get sacrificed in one way or another. Usually that's the sim crowd - basically the majority on this thread, and those I interact with. However, the deep dive gave great insight to where they are trying to find the balancing points - and their transparency puts me in an optimistic position. I think if you are ever going to invest time into FIFA, whether it be posting on this thread, taking part in a closed beta, playing the full game, interacting with the devs, messing with sliders - you have to understand that the sim player is a very small percentage of remote care to them. The goal is always the fundamentals, and if the fundamentals are there - then we're at least on the right track. You can see these features are geared for some fundamentals and some [unnecessary] advanced features. It stinks, but that's how it has always been.

Back
Top Bottom