FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

I could list 20 things I prefer in FIFA, and a couple I prefer in PES.

The thing is, those couple of things - player individuality (though understated) and teams that approach a match differently (it happens in FIFA but it's more convincing in PES for my money) - aren't exactly unimportant.

For me the real test is what the game feels like after 10 league games - does it feel like you're playing the same match over and over?

PES doesn't feel like that for me this year, whereas FIFA... Well, I can't really tell yet. Seattle Sounders keep the ball when I pick a team like Chelsea, which is sensible, but when I play Barcelona, although they attack more, it's not a huge shift in strategy and it doesn't "feel" massively different. The quality of one doesn't totally eclipse the other.

So far it's looking like FIFA offline (with slider tweaks to accentuate individuality, if possible), and PES online (if they slow the damn thing down) for me, purely to avoid every online game feeling the same...

Same feeling.

I LONG for the day that PES gets back to it's best but I've given up hoping for that now. I just don't see where they're going with the series.

I'm curious what else do you consider broken or BAD in the PES2016 demo besides the foul system that makes you say that?

I tend to think PES2016 is back at its best finally or been that way but this year has solidified it to me despite the broken foul system in the demo. The control and responsiveness addicting gameplay reminds me of PES at its best back on PS2.

I listened to that video and those guys did favor PES and well I can't say I disagree with much of what they were saying but yeah I also think the FIFA2016 demo this year has a much better pace and game flow as compared to before out of the box and they are gearing more towards PES pace imo which is a good thing. I still prefer the PES pace and flow of the match buildup play better though and think it's perfect actually but the thing about FIFA is it does have sliders and people will make that game play even better once they get their hands on it. The thing is though this FIFA is the first I can recall that I can stand playing just by putting game speed at low...it plays a good game of football without even adjusting any sliders even which is positive. Not only can i can stand playing it.. I played it 4 hours straight after downloading it and had a lot of fun with it.

I still think that PES doesn't need sliders though to make the game great.. and that's what I enjoy about it as well as it's already great out of the box. The only slider PES needs is one for the foul system.. 0 - 5 like game speed. :)

I dunno.. I just have a hard time slighting either game to be honest at the moment as I think both demos are very good and that's a good thing.. granted I only had one night of playing FIFA compared to a lot of playtime in the PES demo.

one thing I think I disagree with though with what those guys said in that video is I don't feel that FIFA controls feel clunky at all... I thought they felt very good and responsive to me.

maybe after I play more of the FIFA demo tonight I will have a different opinion

Last edited:

I don't. They generalise too much in places.

Especially the part where they say:

"FIFA has one speed. Fast and forward."

"But in PES you can stop, think, look sideways" etc.

This statement would be true if they were comparing the games last year. But PES 2016 is quicker than FIFA 16 (default speeds) and (for me) this FIFA is more of a thinking man's game where as PES is a ping pong fest this year.

FIFA 16 is a much more organic experience than previous editions. I just hope EA don't mess with it and increase the speed again otherwise I won't be buying either football game this year.

Aren't those guys something to do with Asim Tanvir? If so, him and the others who work there have always preferred PES to FIFA anyway.

I'd be more interested in Eurogamer or EDGE's views on both demos. I was chatting with Asim on Twitter yesterday and although he likes FIFA, you can tell it pains him to admit it! It's a strange thing with PES fanboys, they refuse to let go. I grew out of that nonsense a long time ago.

I LONG for the day that PES gets back to it's best but I've given up hoping for that now. I just don't see where they're going with the series.

How many years will we have to put up with watered down Master Leagues, 20 stadiums and a poor online service? How many more times are Konami going to release a game where we don't get injuries and we play 4 home fixtures in a row, ALL night games? This might sound petty to some of you but these are immersion breakers. I wouldn't mind if the gameplay was as amazing as some of the PES fanboys make out but it's not - the gameplay is actually very generic now and simplistic. Plus the CPU AI cheats like hell. It decides "I am going to score now, you won't be able to do anything about it."

I'm actually boring myself because I seem to have this very same criticism of PES year in, year out. I just wish that they'd buck up their ideas and give their diehard fans what they deserve.

Im totally disagree with You. Pes has a little bit faster pace than Fifa but it's doesn't mean Fifa is more sim game. You are wrong. Pes 2016 is better in many era than Fifa 16.

- in this moment graphics in two games are very similar ( forget time when Fifa smashed Pes )

- players model are miles better in Pes 2016

- kits looks much better in Pes

- faces looks better in Pes too

- movements looks more organic and free in Pes 2016. In Fifa 16 a lot of animations are weird. When i play Fifa 16 i feel control a puppets not a humans.

- collision system ( HaVok) is better in Pes 2016

- dynamic camera is also looks better in Pes 2016

- individuality is also much, much better in Pes 2016

- keepers animations looks similar in two games( forget time when Fifa smashed Pes)

- shooting is better in Pes 2016

- tackling feels better in Pes 2016

- net looks better in Pes and the physics is better when You score GOAL.

- foot planting better in Pes 2016.

Please don't tell me how Fifa 16 is better than Pes 2016 because in my opinion is not true. Not true:SNACK:

Last edited:
FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

After switching between the 2 demos tonight I have come to the conclusion that scoring a goal in pes now feels how Fifa did years ago - soulless.
Everything else ain't that bad and It plays really nice but due to lack of licences and stadium the game will feel cheap and half finished.
Plus with a week to go - no news on option files.

How many years will we have to put up with watered down Master Leagues, 20 stadiums and a poor online service?

not going to disagree with that.. this is the stuff I expect from konami every year now.. I don't expect anything from online play whatsoever with PES..

After switching between the 2 demos tonight I have come to the conclusion that scoring a goal in pes now feels how Fifa did years ago - soulless.
Everything else ain't that bad and It plays really nice but due to lack of licences and stadium the game will feel cheap and half finished.
Plus with a week to go - no news on option files.

If you are playing with basic shooting in PES.. I can't disagree much with that because it's to easy to score playing like that and to over powered basically now in PES more than before. however, playing manual shot fixes this for me

this is a problem in both games... once you turn PES to manual shooting it opens up the shot variety..

the Assisted shooting in FIFA is broken I feel as well.. you will hit the post the entire match much like you were using Advanced shooting in PES for the first time hitting the cross bar

any ways, I feel manual shooting fixes the soulless issue you stated in PES.

both demos need to play on manual shooting for best results.. I have a feeling konami might tone done basic shooting for the PES retail code and EA will fix the assisted shooting hitting the post to much as well.

Last edited:

Fifa is more complete.

shoots
animations
lights
goalkeepers
defenders
kits
CPU

- keepers animations looks similar in two games( forget time when Fifa smashed Pes)

And that's when you lost all your credibility.. Do you really want to talk about super slow keeper's animation in PES 2016? Do you really want to compare them to FIFA's? Come on, you can't be serious...

And that's when you lost all your credibility.. Do you really want to talk about super slow keeper's animation in PES 2016? Do you really want to compare them to FIFA's? Come on, you can't be serious...

Thank you :APPLAUD:

I was like WTF?? when I read that about the keepers.

I see you have problem with reading a text. MR. i wrote about animations. Keepers animations in Pes 2016 looks very good. A lot of them are better than FIFA keepers animations. The most important THING is Pes 2016 keepers animations are in the same technicall( quality) level like in Fifa 16. Mr. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 years ago FIFA had better quality animations but not now! FIFA has more varied animations but not better!!!
Read carefully.:Y1 I tell you more..... HAVOK on Pes 2016 in particular in collision system looks much better than FIFA's engine. Forget about FIFA's domination in technically level!;)

Last edited:

This is my biggest gripe with PES now. It was the same in 2015 too.

I remember hating the FIFA games back in the day for the same thing.

When I score in the PES 2016 demo, it doesn't feel as if I have worked hard for it. On the FIFA demo scoring a goal feels rewarding.

I see you have problem with reading a text. MR. i wrote about animations. Keepers animations in Pes 2016 looks very good. A lot of them are better than FIFA keepers animations. The most important THING is Pes 2016 keepers animations are in the same technicall( quality) level like in Fifa 16. Mr. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 years ago FIFA had better quality animations but not now! FIFA has more varied animations but not better!!!
Read carefully.:Y1 I tell you more..... HAVOK on Pes 2016 in particular in collision system looks much better than FIFA's engine. Forget about FIFA's domination in technically level!;)

Hmmm well each to their own.

I think PES keeper animations made a huge step forward, specially on saves.
But imho I would not say that they are better than FIFA.
Absolutely not!

Big plus is, that they roll on the ground now after they jumped up (I think that came with PES 2015).
I was waiting quite long for this.
Big big minus is when they let goals through and it looks like they don´t show any kind of effort and are not stretching out.
This is mostly with shots in the box.

FIFA does that better imo.
When keepers stretch out and it´s comprehensible that they were trying to get the ball.

If KONAMI manages that to implement, I would change my mind.

It´s also possible that there are a few animations which look better in PES than in FIFA.

But in total - to me - FIFA clearly wins on that aspect.

Loving this thread and there's great points on both sides.

I'm a bit torn - I feel like FIFA is the better game and playing PES afterwards feels like anything but a simulation, it feels (no offence intended here) silly, and a bit "flyaway". BUT, I played the draft mode last night in the FIFA demo (I had no idea you could do that, and that it meant SIX MINUTE HALVES), and...

Well, I played against Seattle on professional (anything higher and the CPU keeps the ball a bit too well for my liking, even if it's a realistic approach it's not realistically implemented). I managed to get a goal in the 85th minute - and it felt amazing, honestly - but I felt torn at the final whistle because Seattle were so strong defensively for the majority of the game in terms of their positioning.

There was a FIFA many moons ago - I think the same engine was used on the PSP (not Vita) version of the game - where putting the difficulty to maximum would result in a defence that was absolutely resolute in their positioning, creating (laughably) a perfectly straight line in-front of the box and becoming utterly impenetrable because of the AI's military precision in keeping that line, even if you were playing against a League Two side.

It felt a little bit like that. I couldn't break through for so long and it was really frustrating, even with a team with stats as high as Chelsea's.

But then, in real life, I guess a team in their position WOULD defend deep and hold their position... It just felt a little bit too perfect for Seattle.

But then... Going back to the PES demo, the goals all feel so similar, and I feel no satisfaction in scoring, and even though I can see the AI and the massive improvements made in that sense, it doesn't translate into a rewarding experience for me because of how the game rewards you for bypassing the midfield (almost as if the pitch is too wide for the AI to cope with).

Online games are going to be a big test, too. I get the feeling that PES is going to be a high-speed button-mashing meltdown of a game, and FIFA's largest fanbase (i.e. kids) will try to make FIFA the same way. Will they succeed if they pressure you for 90 minutes and try button-spamming their way to success?

ALSO (last two points)...

I know a few people who are saying the FIFA demo feels "boring" and I can understand why. I disagree, but I can understand it, because the game is so much slower. But the way I feel about it is that this results in a game where you really have to think. That's my dream! A football game where the winner is the better tactician (not that we're there yet). There are people who are happy with five hard-fought 0-0s in a row (like me), and people who want to play tiki-taka, dribble like they're made of jelly and play amazing, Barca-esque football (not me).

Lastly - lots of people saying that pace isn't important now. Again, I can understand why, but I think it's been toned down to match real life and we're so used to stupidly fast wingers dominating matches that we've begun to accept that as "real".

I got a killer ball to my winger last night, and he absolutely burst through to the opposition defence, put a cross in and... Should have been a goal, but it wasn't. My point being - pace is still there, you just notice it when it would be realistic to...

Last edited:

If i try and organise a game on slow settings with fifa online i cant get a game.

anyways played FIFA demo last night. I was Chelsea playing Sounders. It was all me and I couldnt get the ball in the net. A combination of poor finishing, good keeping and pure luck on sounders part kept the score at 0-0 until the 84th minute when Oscar got a bit of space - waited for Hazard to find space in the box and found him with a slightly over hit pass. The ball flicked up a bit and Hazard with the outside of his foot bent a shot past the keeper at his near post.
It was a real fist in the air moment.
I havent had any of these moments on PES. Not one.

There's something intangibly special about the Fifa16 demo, just hope EA don't break that magical whatever it is between now and retail release.

I havent had any of these moments on PES. Not one.

Same. This FIFA demo really is impressive.

The thing is, it's not just 1 or 2 "FIFA fanboys" with an agenda who are stating these things. All of the people here are seasoned PES players and we're giving an honest opinion.

Basically, FIFA 16 is a bloody good demo.

Im sure both games are good in their ways. Have always said if you take the best from both you would have one hell of a game.

PES though to me - as ive got older - just seems a lot of hard work to get it look good. Yes it plays nice but not nice enough. Scoring goals was pure joy in older PESs - its not now for some reason.

ps - Shopto are processing FIFA orders on 21/09 for desptach on 22nd meaning game arrives on Wednesday.

think ive finally made mind up when and go Fifa. Ill get PES in a few months time when Option files are done and game has been patched a few times.

FIFA is the better demo, but PES is really impressive though, getting both games.

Yep I am the same, the days of buying 2 football games are over for me. There isn't enough hours in the day to extensively play both games.

For me it is 1 or the other. Can't justify spending nearly £100 on 2 football games to the mrs!

If you are spending nearly £100 then you aren't looking in the right places.

I have both games on pre-order with a total of £64 spent. Now don't get me wrong, that is still an obscene amount of money (and i've had to run it buy the mrs myself), but it's still not bad for two brand new games.

I downloaded the PES demo first day it was released. Thought it was good.. liked the day lighting. Last PES game I played was PES6. It still felt samey to me as though the series hasn't moved much.

After playing the FIFA 16 demo PES 16 shortcomings became more pronounced.
For me FIFA 16 demo wins.

You know what I mean though yea? I bought 2 games today mrs.... 2 football games.... she be like WHAT THE FUCK!!?! 1 not enough for you?

I know exactly what you mean. I go through the same drama every year now. I still haven't told her about Football Manager either...

It really doesn't help that the release dates are a week apart this year. I managed to get away with it fairly hassle free last year.

I've been sneaky this year and got myself a digital copy of Fifa though.

Back
Top Bottom