FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Ok so having had both games for a bit, heres my thoughts.

Pes 2020 on version 1.0 just pips this new Fifa but lacks licensing and finesse. The gameplay is sweet and I prefer the graphics. Theres a lot of randomness in 1.0 that was patched out with subsequent updates.

Fifa currently patched, makes Pes 2020 patched look like amateur hour. Fifa has more animations, more randomness, better ball physics, better keepers, better fouls, a better dribbling mechanic and a much nicer presentation level.

Pes patched is just a massive pressure fest, players bombing it everywhere and the CPU playing one dimension 'shot on the turn' attacks. Immensely disappointing.

Konami, in my view, shit out on their own football vision for coinage.

Ok so having had both games for a bit, heres my thoughts.

Pes 2020 on version 1.0 just pips this new Fifa but lacks licensing and finesse. The gameplay is sweet and I prefer the graphics. Theres a lot of randomness in 1.0 that was patched out with subsequent updates.

Fifa currently patched, makes Pes 2020 patched look like amateur hour. Fifa has more animations, more randomness, better ball physics, better keepers, better fouls, a better dribbling mechanic and a much nicer presentation level.

Pes patched is just a massive pressure fest, players bombing it everywhere and the CPU playing one dimension 'shot on the turn' attacks. Immensely disappointing.

Konami, in my view, shit out on their own football vision for coinage.
So Fifa is much better than PES 1.03? Is Fifa vastly different to the demo now? I'd of still put 1.02 and 1.03 miles ahead gameplay wise to the Fifa demo even if not as good as 1.00.

So Fifa is much better than PES 1.03? Is Fifa vastly different to the demo now? I'd of still put 1.02 and 1.03 miles ahead gameplay wise to the Fifa demo even if not as good as 1.00.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been flitting between the two games and I kid myself into thinking FIFA is decent and then I load up PES, which blows it out of the water. Each to their own.

PES 1.3 is suberb - it each to their own but 1.0 AI was way too stand off. More i played 1.3 more it has grown on me and the AI has loads of attack variety this constantly turn and shoot I just dont see, maybe its a tactical thing if they get the space they will exploit it. FIFA this year is worse than last year and that takes some doing

PES 1.3 is suberb - it each to their own but 1.0 AI was way too stand off. More i played 1.3 more it has grown on me and the AI has loads of attack variety this constantly turn and shoot I just dont see, maybe its a tactical thing if they get the space they will exploit it. FIFA this year is worse than last year and that takes some doing

I agree with this. I had played 1.0 up until 1.03 came out, the AI defending in vanilla is way too passive - a bit ridiculous at times. You can easily average 70% possession, reminds me of some of the older PES editions in this respect. 1.03 AI plays much more like an organized team would play. I also don't see constant turn and shoot by the AI, sure it's there but not an excessive amount.

I will say though that I am quite enjoying FIFA as well, with Matt10's sliders and playing tournament mode (controlling all teams). Career mode of course has problems.

I wish I could plop FIFA's atmosphere, presentation, wealth of leagues/players, stadiums, and all of the other fluff into ML so I could actually find it enjoyable. I'd love to put some effort into ML this year, but it's just so dry and dull.

I wish I could plop FIFA's atmosphere, presentation, wealth of leagues/players, stadiums, and all of the other fluff into ML so I could actually find it enjoyable. I'd love to put some effort into ML this year, but it's just so dry and dull.
It's maybe a good job we dont have Fifa's presentation in PES as you would have millions of gamers refusing to leave the house! I'd be divorced in weeks! :)

Whats 1.3 like for randomness in play?
This is one thing that is holding me back from updating from 1.0

Yeah but could you imagine Konami handling that amount of licenses and content?

You’d get police with assault rifles at Villa Park, Spurs still at White Hart Lane and the eFootball logo flying around the screen instead of any proper presentation.

Pes 20 lacks of randomness just like pes 18 or 19. Most of the time when i play i i have ,, on rails '' feeling , it is just outdated engine , there nothing you can do with it . Almost every match when i play against teams like san marino or Giblartar then they get extra boost in one moment and become brazil team ,especially when i score goal , that was in game since pes 14 i guees , one star teams strikers can play like Lewandowski or Benzema against France or Brazil , they can turn very fast and score goals like top players , issue with responsiveness - if someone think it makes game more realistic then i think he is just lunatic with wishful thinking. Last week i sold both games and waiting for fifa patch.

Last edited:
Pes 20 lacks of randomness just like pes 18 or 19. Most of the time when i play i i have ,, on rails '' feeling , it is just outdated engine , there nothing you can do with it . Almost every match when i play against teams like san marino or Giblartar then they get extra boost in one moment and become brazil team ,especially when i score goal , that was in game since pes 14 i guees , one star teams strikers can play like Lewandowski or Benzema against France or Brazil , they can turn very fast and score goals like top players , issue with responsiveness - if someone think it makes game more realistic then i think he is just lunatic with wishful thinking. Last week i sold both games and waiting for fifa patch.
This is where I am now. PES feels stuck in the dark ages, it won't ever change either. But many still love the old PS1/PS2 feeling when playing a football game and good for them. Personally I need my video games to feel and look like something from 2019 now.

Fingers crossed for the FIFA update. Reading good things on Reddit. When it works well, you simply can't beat a lengthy FIFA Career Mode with all of them official trimmings like stadia, even playing in the EFL League Cup etc. I like the FIFA gameplay this year too - it's just too damn easy again but apparently that's also been addressed on the PC update.

We'll see.

This is where I am now. PES feels stuck in the dark ages, it won't ever change either. But many still love the old PS1/PS2 feeling when playing a football game and good for them.

I agree that they have kept certain bad and/or outdated aspects of the PS2 gen era titles, but they somehow managed to not keep the good aspects, and this is where your point falls apart.

The feeling is not the same at all.

I still think the turning point for PES was in 2007 when PES 2008 came out. It has NEVER fully recovered since then where as FIFA arguably went from being a joke of an Arcade game (tap sprint and get from one side of the field to the other with 1 player in seconds and score the same crap unconvincing goal each time) to actually a decent footie game with FIFA 07 onwards. Strange how things happen. FIFA has had some shockers mind you... I couldn't stand FIFA 13, 17 or 19.

...to actually a decent footie game with FIFA 07 onwards. Strange how things happen. FIFA has had some shockers mind you... I couldn't stand FIFA 13, 17 or 19.
I think they have some good ideas and they're clearly the more technically proficient programmers over in Vancouver. But they're giving people what they want - and I'm not those people.

This is where I stand right now:

PES Master League might looks dull at times compared with FIFA career (even tough it is far from being perfect or good enought) but it incorporates one thing that really lack from FIFA career mode.

It is the opportunity to check all the charts/stats of others leagues and competitions your team is not involved in. The way it is displayed, with back button bringing you back to the main menu instead of the previous window, could be improved. But at least you have something to check how the top players are doing in their respective leagues, while in FIFA, if you are not playing La Liga you can only imagine that Messi might have hit the 30 goals bar for another season. This only has a strong impact on my immersion into the ML/career mode. While searching for a striker playing in another league, you can check how many goals he has scored, ect...
I have always felt that everything happening in the others leagues in FIFA is random (all the players are content (basic mood)) and inconsistent from one month to another.

The team stats monthly summaries are also a great addition in the ML.

FIFA arguably went from being a joke of an Arcade game (tap sprint and get from one side of the field to the other with 1 player in seconds and score the same crap unconvincing goal each time)

Fifa is regressing back to this state since 18 though (not that pes doesn't have this problem as well). Main difference is that it's not so simple when you arrive in the final third. It can be hard to actually score. Sometimes GKs are godlike, sometimes through balls work, other times crosses and long shots are OP, etc. This is what they really change year after year, but the lack of build up/midfield seems a constant now.

Like Chris is saying this is what most people want because "it's just a game", "it's just 6 minutes", etc.

I still think the turning point for PES was in 2007 when PES 2008 came out. It has NEVER fully recovered since then where as FIFA arguably went from being a joke of an Arcade game (tap sprint and get from one side of the field to the other with 1 player in seconds and score the same crap unconvincing goal each time) to actually a decent footie game with FIFA 07 onwards. Strange how things happen. FIFA has had some shockers mind you... I couldn't stand FIFA 13, 17 or 19.
i mostly feel the same way

the turning point for pes was the ps3/360 generation because konami tried but could not make a good game with the new advanced tech. then they had a few mixed few years until they arrived and settled on the fox engine with 14... which was unfortunetly not a good base for the game. and ever since the game has been fundamentally stagnant

fifa on the other hand essentially improved year on year. and even though i wouldnt personally say they had a "great" game until 14 (with 14, 15, & 16 being the pinnacle of the series so far), they still the good online infrastructure and multitude of modes to be enjoyable enough for me from 08-13. unfortunetely fifa has regressed ever since 17 when they started using frostbite. ive been hoping that frostbite would improve but its been 4 games now and they still carry the same problems. it makes me uninspired for fifas future because i dont see them changing engines nor do i see them smoothing out the problems to get it near the fluidness of 14-16 ignite engine gameplay. But still, I still vastly prefer frosbite fifa to fox engine pes

I thought this would be the year pes surpass fifa in terms of offline experience
with the biggest disaster in the history of fifa for offline, ea still managed to save it within a month
while pes declined after the demo and still need to wait for the late october patch which is the last chance for me
fifa is far from perfect, but once they fixed the cm and improved the gameplay a bit, its playable and already surpassed pes
unless some miracle happen in the upcoming patch, pes is now worse than fifa in offline imo

"PES Declined after the demo" Some of that decline was caused by the fact that of course in the Demo you are playing Exhibition matches. The AI in Exhibition Mode is MILES different to how it is in ML and some other competitions where it is ramped up to Crazy Mode! But I get where you are coming from as the physicality element which appeared to be pretty good in the Demo has all but diminished for the Final release.... Konami.......

I thought this would be the year pes surpass fifa in terms of offline experience
with the biggest disaster in the history of fifa for offline, ea still managed to save it within a month
while pes declined after the demo and still need to wait for the late october patch which is the last chance for me
fifa is far from perfect, but once they fixed the cm and improved the gameplay a bit, its playable and already surpassed pes
unless some miracle happen in the upcoming patch, pes is now worse than fifa in offline imo
It's all opinion, if pes 2020 wasn't as good as it is I'd still be on 2017. Fifa 18, 19 and 20 are horrible football games, just headless chickens running about

while people keep saying fifa is easy even on legendary/ultimate
pes is harder but mainly because of the script in ml, whats more important is that its annoying as hell
I would rather choose to play fifa which is easy but also a bit fair
in fact, pes ai is not that hard, its just that in ml your players become frustrated to control and play with
the difficulty come from the massive downgrade and disadvantages of your players more than the ai becomes more intelligent and plays better
its not about if I can beat the ai, even I beat the ai in ml, I don't feel good to control my team, thats not a joy

I’ve poured hours and hours into both games this year and basically, they’re both absolutely a million miles away from what I want or expect from a football game.

Let’s start with FIFA 20. The defending is atrocious. I’m sure it’s faster since the latest update too. The ball bobbling on the pitch looks exaggerated and ridiculous too, no pitch in modern football makes a ball do that. Online is full of kids doing tricks for 90+ minutes and scoring wonder finesse goals. No fouls in single player. The gameplay is all over the place and I always come away with a headache after a session with FIFA these days. With sliders, without sliders - FIFA 20 is trash.

PES 2020 could be good. COULD be. It’s slower than FIFA and everything feels weighty. But the shooting is still arcadey, automated garbage. Scoring feels boring. No fouls in single player (or very few before Negatrev jumps in). Graphics and colour palette are absolutely dreadful for a PS4 Pro game in late 2019. Very little content. Master league is still an empty, repetitive experience. I could go on and on.

Both games are dog dirt and cater for the FUT and myClub crowds.

RIP modern day football gaming. I’m done and back to PES 2013.

I think we have reached that time.

Where its more clear than ever the games are so far apart in fundamentals. Maybe more than ever before.

This can be summed up by just one man!

He's enjoying FIFA however look at his career mode.

Here is how he's doing n superstar on PES

His philosophy is stick it on the very hardest level and learn to master the game!

Last edited:
I think we have reached that time.

Where its more clear than ever the games a so far apart in fundamentals. Maybe more than ever before.

This can be summed up by just one man!

He's enjoying FIFA however look at his career mode.

Here is how he's doing n superstar on PES

His philosophy is stick it on the very hardest level and learn to master the game!

The fact that many FIFA Youtubbers have even been willing to buy PES this year just speaks for itself, really.
2-3 years ago, there wasn't a single chance to make that happen. Even the fact alone of mentioning PES back then, would make them laugh in your face. They wouldn't even download the free demo.

Yet, here we are, nowadays you can find many videos on Youtube of FIFA players playing PES and talking about the Pros and Cons.
PES is being taken serious again.

The fact that many FIFA Youtubbers have even been willing to buy PES this year just speaks for itself, really.
2-3 years ago, there wasn't a single chance to make that happen. Even the fact alone of mentioning PES back then, would make them laugh in your face. They wouldn't even download the free demo.

Yet, here we are, nowadays you can find many videos on Youtube of FIFA players playing PES and talking about the Pros and Cons.

Absolutely, although i think the biggest factor is EA are finished when it comes to all forms of offline simulation. We are still within the first 3 weeks of release and EA are doing everything to keep the hype train going for at least a month to save face but there is absolutely no legs in anything offline on FIFA this year! This is defiantly one of the worst football games offline ever. Online i cant say too much about but offine again i think the videos and just look at the master leagues and career modes and it just speaks for itself.

TBH i would even say there is a debate anymore.The debate now is when will EA finally rebuilt their engine or will they focus only online until they can figure out a way forward.

With PES the time really is now to switch to dedicated servers or at the very least a reliable cloud system for online matches and myclub content. PES needs a cloud system imo the potential for branding is well truly beyond comprehension.

2-3 years ago, there wasn't a single chance to make that happen. Even the fact alone of mentioning PES back then, would make them laugh in your face.

FUT people on the other hand think it sucks. But this is a great opportunity for Konami. Offline people seem to like it, futters not so much. Maybe they will see the light that they can be a true alternative to fifa. A good offline game.

I've bought neither game so far, as I'm well aware of all of the issues as well, but while I know for sure that I will not buy fifa 20 this year I'm looking forward to the patch konami promised for the end of this month. Maybe it will convince me to get it, if only they get it right!

The fact that FIFA YouTubers like PES is worrying for me. I preferred the days when a Fifa player hated PES.

Why? Because PES back then was time consuming to master, it was a deep experience. PES now is ‘hit the shoot button and watch your straight, powerful shot rocket in regardless of which player is kicking the ball’.

they like PES now because it’s simplistic. I want to get on this hype train where PES is “finally moving in the right direction” but I’m just not feeling it.

To me, Konami and the PES team are too obsessed with ‘legends’ and player faces to ever release a serious game again with depth and content for the single player. It wouldn’t even surprise me if both games are FUT/myClub only releases in the near future.

I’ve never felt so disconnected from the football gaming scene as I am now. Both games are horrible, in different ways, but yeah - horrible.

I fired up PES 2013 a few days ago (yes yes I keep repeating myself here) and played it with a smile on my face. There’s a magic about it still to this day, 7/8 years later. I’m already sick of PES 2020, I actually find the modern day PES games quite depressing to play which might sound hyperbolic but it’s just how I feel.

When I win the Euro Millions, I’ll develop a single player focused football game with all the content and gameplay we all crave. And there won’t be a legend, black ball, card pack or Maradona’s annoying face anywhere near it.

The fact that FIFA YouTubers like PES is worrying for me. I preferred the days when a Fifa player hated PES.

Why? Because PES back then was time consuming to master, it was a deep experience. PES now is ‘hit the shoot button and watch your straight, powerful shot rocket in regardless of which player is kicking the ball’.

they like PES now because it’s simplistic. I want to get on this hype train where PES is “finally moving in the right direction” but I’m just not feeling it.

To me, Konami and the PES team are too obsessed with ‘legends’ and player faces to ever release a serious game again with depth and content for the single player. It wouldn’t even surprise me if both games are FUT/myClub only releases in the near future.

I’ve never felt so disconnected from the football gaming scene as I am now. Both games are horrible, in different ways, but yeah - horrible.

I fired up PES 2013 a few days ago (yes yes I keep repeating myself here) and played it with a smile on my face. There’s a magic about it still to this day, 7/8 years later. I’m already sick of PES 2020, I actually find the modern day PES games quite depressing to play which might sound hyperbolic but it’s just how I feel.

When I win the Euro Millions, I’ll develop a single player focused football game with all the content and gameplay we all crave. And there won’t be a legend, black ball, card pack or Maradona’s annoying face anywhere near it.

When PES players started to flirt with FIFA back in 07, 08, 09 it wasn't because FIFA was starting to become like PES.
It was because Konami totally neglected PES and FIFA started to become very good.
And I think the inverted process is what's happening now.
I think that if EA SPORTS don't steer the boat (and quickly), more FIFA players will start to flirt with PES.

Woah... what a repetitive post.

Back
Top Bottom