FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Even the PS2 version was shit but still way better than the PS3 and 360 versions. Mental it's took them 11 years to get back on track.

360. It looked terrible.
I seem to remember that the animations were the most stiff, robotic and awkward looking animations I have seen for many a year... the ball as Mikhail has said behaved like a big heavy glass marble..... oh and this for me is where the Shooting went to absolute SHIT! For my money its never really recovered from this point. Oh and the keepers.... they were LAUGHABLY bad! :)

PES 2008 was the turning point - throughout PES3-6 the gulf in quality between those and FIFA 04-07 on PS2/PC was enormous. It wasn't even a contest, PES was so far ahead.

In one release they managed to totally destroy that legacy that they had built up over the years. FIFA 08 wasn't exactly a brilliant and polished game itself, but former PES players (myself included) were buying it based on the gameplay being superior to PES that year.

FIFA continued to innovate in the early years on 360/PS3, introducing Pro Clubs, 360 degree movement, manual passing etc. while PES was stuck in the mud churning out more turgid shite like PES 2009 and 2010.

PES 2008 was the turning point - throughout PES3-6 the gulf in quality between those and FIFA 04-07 on PS2/PC was enormous. It wasn't even a contest, PES was so far ahead.

In one release they managed to totally destroy that legacy that they had built up over the years. FIFA 08 wasn't exactly a brilliant and polished game itself, but former PES players (myself included) were buying it based on the gameplay being superior to PES that year.

FIFA continued to innovate in the early years on 360/PS3, introducing Pro Clubs, 360 degree movement, manual passing etc. while PES was stuck in the mud churning out more turgid shite like PES 2009 and 2010.
that's my pattern left in 08 and returned to pes on 17..bought pes 18 and pes 19 and both FIFA's.. All crap so stayed with pes 17 until this year.. 2020 is great and first time in 11 years I've not bought fifa

Fifa 08 was pretty decent, Kinda had balloon physics though that was the really bad part of it. It was also for me the first good looking Fifa as imo PES always looked and moved better and Fifa 08 smashed PES 08 on looks, Animations and gameplay.

Fifa improved because of one man's vision and that vision was coming from a PES perspective in Rutter. I dont think it's coincidence of the demise of Fifa's gameplay when Rutter moved upstairs back in 2014.

Bang on the money. PES 2008-PES 2012 were terrible games. Only diehard PES fanboys will argue otherwise.

Bang on the money. PES 2008-PES 2012 were terrible games. Only diehard PES fanboys will argue otherwise.
Is there really a need for this kind of judgement? I find most of those titles plenty of flaws but still more or less enjoyable on their own (especially 11 and 12) and I don't regard myself as a die hard fanboy.

Hell, you say yourself quite often how great pes 2013 is.. which is basically a 2012 with slightly better animations and worse ai :D

Is there really a need for this kind of judgement? I find most of those titles plenty of flaws but still more or less enjoyable on their own (especially 11 and 12) and I don't regard myself as a die hard fanboy.

Hell, you say yourself quite often how great pes 2013 is.. which is basically a 2012 with slightly better animations and worse ai :D
Don’t you dare criticise PES 2013 I’m super protective of that game! ;)

Nah, 2011 is among my top PES games... The highlight was Master League Online, a great mode which we will never see again.

They had also finally started to catch up to EA in basic gameplay mechanics - 360 degree movement and manual passing were introduced (albeit only with the L2 modifier). The animations were kind of janky but the gameplay had plenty of variety, loads of player individuality, far better shooting than 2020, deeper tactical options than 2020...

Still the best balanced online football game I've played imo - the fact there was no pass assist or FUMA settings meant that they could focus solely on balancing the game as they meant it to be played, and there was also no online e-peen measuring contests about whether people play FUMA or not. You all just shared the same game and experiences... I like playing on manual, but the well balanced default pass assistance combined with the L2 modifier was perfect imo.

I seem to remember the ML having more depth as well, although I only really played online that year...

Nah, 2011 is among my top PES games... The highlight was Master League Online, a great mode which we will never see again.

They had also finally started to catch up to EA in basic gameplay mechanics - 360 degree movement and manual passing were introduced (albeit only with the L2 modifier). The animations were kind of janky but the gameplay had plenty of variety, loads of player individuality, far better shooting than 2020, deeper tactical options than 2020...

Still the best balanced online football game I've played imo - the fact there was no pass assist or FUMA settings meant that they could focus solely on balancing the game as they meant it to be played, and there was also no online e-peen measuring contests about whether people play FUMA or not. You all just shared the same game and experiences... I like playing on manual, but the well balanced default pass assistance combined with the L2 modifier was perfect imo.

I seem to remember the ML having more depth as well, although I only really played online that year...

I loved MLO. Cahill was a bargain striker legend.

Pes 11&12 are brilliant games,people over at the retro thread are hailing Pes 8 on the PS2 quite heavily.
Though we've had less good Pes games on both old and current gen,most are still playable and pretty good (17&20 for me).
Plus,Pes for all its faults,it's still playable and reasonably realistic,can't say that on all games nowadays ey?
FIFA 20 offline career (gameplay) is probably the worst I've played,makes the crappiest Pes game stand out as a masterpiece.
And I was looking fw to FIFA a great deal

Last edited:
Pes 11&12 are brilliant games,people over at the retro thread are hailing Pes 8 on the PS2 quite heavily.
Though we've had less good Pes games on both old and current gen,most are still playable and pretty good (17&20 for me).
Plus,Pes for all its faults,it's still playable and reasonably realistic,can't say that on all games nowadays ey?
FIFA 20 offline career (gameplay) is probably the worst I've played,makes the crappiest Pes game stand out as a masterpiece.
And I was looking fw to FIFA a great deal

You are right bro.
Im in a mindset of if I get sick of one game I will throw in a retro one to tide me over.
Have not had to do this with PES 20 as of yet which is great!
So for me its a change to PES 13, 12, 6, and the gem that is PES 3.

I remember though so much hype generated by a certain website..... members of that site went to a Games Exhibition, played PES 2008 and told us all that they were "Happy" with it.... Also one of them members now works for Konami...... funny that.

You are right bro.
Im in a mindset of if I get sick of one game I will throw in a retro one to tide me over.
Have not had to do this with PES 20 as of yet which is great!
So for me its a change to PES 13, 12, 6, and the gem that is PES 3.
Haven't touched any other Pes game either,then again haven't played much Pes 20 lately either!
Still ok with Pes 20 and Fifa 17 as my football games atm.
Problem is I feel I'm drifting away from the time consuming football games,but tmw when the patch hits,I'm going to all in!
My main issue is I've rediscovered how great 2k is again (usually happens around the start of the NBA season)
But I'm looking fw to the patch mate!

Out of interest which console did you play PES2008 on? I tried it on both 360 and the PS3 and found it to be laughably bad. Almost as bad as some of the worst football games I have ever played!
Played both the PS2 and PC versions.
Night and day, to me. The PS2 one was indeed a very good game (like PES 6 was), the PC one (which I still have) is nowhere as good.

PES 2008 was awful. Just look at the state of it:

What was with the bricks on the back of the goal nets? I was always baffled by that.

Don’t you dare criticise PES 2013 I’m super protective of that game! ;)
Just like i am super protective of PES2008 the PS2 version that is. But i know you guys are referring to the other versions.
Played both the PS2 and PC versions.
Night and day, to me. The PS2 one was indeed a very good game (like PES 6 was), the PC one (which I still have) is nowhere as good.

Yep, it is such a shame that the PS2 version got forgotten. To me it is better than PES5, and PES6 i never really liked.

Anyway, i actually got a new PS4 because my one stopped working. I decided to get the FIFA20 pack. I wasnt going to buy FIFA because of what i have read. But from the little bit i have played, i am enjoying it a bit more than PES2020. It maybe because the shooting is more satisfying from both me and the CPU compared to PES. I also like the pace on normal speed.

But this is on World Class, FUMA, and playing Champions League as Spurs and FA Cup as Southend. Both competitions feel so different because of the teams involved.

I will continue to play PES2020 and of course PES2008 PS2 and judge more later on.

Fifa 08 was pretty decent, Kinda had balloon physics though that was the really bad part of it. It was also for me the first good looking Fifa as imo PES always looked and moved better and Fifa 08 smashed PES 08 on looks, Animations and gameplay.

Fifa improved because of one man's vision and that vision was coming from a PES perspective in Rutter. I dont think it's coincidence of the demise of Fifa's gameplay when Rutter moved upstairs back in 2014.

Wasnt fifa 08 directed by a guy called joe hill or something like that?

Is there one (or more) user in here, that prefer the ball physics of fifa over PES ball physics? Just asking.
If you are, please tell me why!
Me, because only FIFA actually has real time ball physics. PES only has precalculated ball trajectories that are manipulated at will.

Is there one (or more) user in here, that prefer the ball physics of fifa over PES ball physics? Just asking.
I don't know if I *prefer* FIFA's ball physics but they are genuine, i.e. a deflected ball's path is calculated based on angles rather than going directly to a player all the time (which is so obvious in PES that it's laughable, almost every single deflection either lands perfectly at someone's feet or goes out of play, but never to open space).

FIFA ball physics for 99% of the match look dreadful, but I still feel that they are superior to PES' on a technical level. Far more complexity and variety especially in the shooting.

Aesthetically PES looks more pleasing, and feels nicer when playing passes because the trajectories are more lifelike, but I never really see anything unique or unexpected.

Thanks for replying!
Me, because only FIFA actually has real time ball physics. PES only has precalculated ball trajectories that are manipulated at will.
Like what?! The ball behaves not like in real life! Combined with the horrible inhuman animations... it looks of. But ok. Maybe it’s time to create a compare video. I don’t need it cause it’s clear as day.. but hey. Opinions. All good. :)
I don't know if I *prefer* FIFA's ball physics but they are genuine, i.e. a deflected ball's path is calculated based on angles rather than going directly to a player all the time (which is so obvious in PES that it's laughable, almost every single deflection either lands perfectly at someone's feet or goes out of play, but never to open space).
Like what, again?! You don’t get loose balls?! In between you and the opponent so you have to run for it (50/50)?! Hm...

Guess there is a video coming up for you as well.
Thing is. I don’t want to be the „know it all better“ guy. A video might not convince you guys it’s all in the Game, and i don’t want to be the „convincer“ as well!!

Maybe I’ll bring up a steam tonight to show you what I mean! What time would suit you guys best? I make it happen as I’m sick at home for 2 weeks (nothing really bad, just sick ;) ). Tell me please! I want everyone to enjoy this beautiful football videogame!! Because it is beautiful!!! :D

FIFA ball physics for 99% of the match look dreadful, but I still feel that they are superior to PES' on a technical level. Far more complexity and variety especially in the shooting.

Aestheticallytically PES looks more pleasing, and feels nicer when playing passes because the trajectories are more lifelike, but I never really see anything unique or unexpected.
I do respect your experience! And you described what i can’t express (because my non-knowledge of the English language) perfectly!!
Aesthetically, that’s the word, PES is so superior in that regard, imo!
I watch a lot of replays while playing. I like the slomo of a good scenario (and I dive in for minutes)!!
And that translates to gameplay for me.
When you create a video, side by side, tv cam, tactics set up... you would see the difference. And by you I mean everyone. ;)

So when I go back to the fifa demo, all that agility is lost. It’s just automated, not life like, passing. Not life like player behavior and what not....

Wasnt fifa 08 directed by a guy called joe hill or something like that?
Not sure, I know Rutter's first was Fifa 09. The gameplay producer behind WC10 Simon Humber if i remember right was really good as well. He took Rutter's vision and made it a little more fun ie; like PES 4 or 6 compared to 3 and 5.

If you are right i wonder what happened to Joe, Did he remain on the team?

Back
Top Bottom