FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Good Post, with having a 4 year old and working full time I get 2 games per day if I'm lucky. Probably averages out at that to be fair. I just don't have the time and I really like this year's pes. It's like what 18 should have been.. A much better 17

Yeh it’s difficult when we have family and other commitments too. In a way though it helps us to enjoy the game more because we don’t play the hell out of it :D

I kinda agree with a few posts back about the goal scoring in FIFA vs PES. Or maybe its because Ive been playing PES way too much. But I feel my goals are usually the same (trajectory wise). I just installed a FIFA (an old one tho) and feel goals are a bit more varied. I feel the ball can go in more directions vs PES. Keep in mind I play both in assisted. Same goes for headers.
Scoring in PES has felt dull as dishwater for years. It's far too straight looking and predictable.

Had a few games of both last night but before Fifa i was playing NHL2019 - So jumping onto Fifa amazingly Fifa felt a little slow and i enjoyed it a whole lot more than going from PES to Fifa - Things that stood out that i missed on my previous posts were the goal keepers they are fantastic compared to PES keepers, Love the animations like the over the head passes. I also really enjoyed the shooting this time around.

Going from Fifa to PES - Oh my days PES felt like a was running in treacle or mud it was so sloooooooooooooow and felt unresponsive hard to believe this was the same game i have been playing since release and it felt a bit clunky.

I wont be playing PES again straight after playing NHL & Fifa thats for sure but what it showed me is i dont think PES will ever win Fifa players over as going from Fifa (while i think it's bang average) it really shows PES being a bit old fashioned. Now im fine with old fashioned due to the gameplay being superior but it was an eye opener last night.

Scoring in PES has felt dull as dishwater for years. It's far too straight looking and predictable.
When you score a manual volley or a long ranger I find it very satisfying.. I'm sure fifa has better shot variety but looking at some video where players are waltzing passed the AI how do you get joy out of that.. In pes you have to earn your goals

I completely agree with this guy and this is the reason I really try to like Fifa 20. But then I play against Paderborn in Career Mode and see a 10 yards chest past to someone who does a volley bicycle overhead pass to the next one. Fucking Paderborn, not Real Madrid! If ever in real life a player of Paderborn should do a bicycle kick, I bet they will build him a golden statue ffs.
I just can't stand things like these anymore.

I completely agree with this guy and this is the reason I really try to like Fifa 20. But then I play against Paderborn in Career Mode and see a 10 yards chest past to someone who does a volley bicycle overhead pass to the next one. Fucking Paderborn, not Real Madrid! If ever in real life a player of Paderborn should do a bicycle kick, I bet they will build him a golden statue ffs.
Hence I play full manual on professional, with heavily error driven sliders. So far the only bicycle kick attempt I've seen was my own. And it killed a seagul. :LOL:

hd-aspect-1511856395-e856d095edb3ed0132f3c74c2abd2116.jpg

When you score a manual volley or a long ranger I find it very satisfying.. I'm sure fifa has better shot variety but looking at some video where players are waltzing passed the AI how do you get joy out of that.. In pes you have to earn your goals
I do agree with you here - you definitely work for a goal in PES, FIFA is too easy to score for me.

maybe I should try FUMA. I just don’t have the time though - too many good games around.

I uninstalled Fifa last night with still 6 hours of my trial left, I just wasnt getting any joy out of the game bar the shooting now and then.

Took some screens of both games though for this thread something i have not seen much of...

e-Football-PES-2020-20191126000734.png

FIFA-20-Match-Day-Live-0-0-LIV-V-TOT-1st-Half-3.png

e-Football-PES-2020-20191126000450.png

FIFA-20-Match-Day-Live-0-0-LIV-V-TOT-1st-Half-2.png

e-Football-PES-2020-20191125235319.png

FIFA-20-Match-Day-Live-In-Menus-2.png

e-Football-PES-2020-20191125235332.png

FIFA-20-Match-Day-Live-In-Menus.png

e-Football-PES-2020-20191125235115.png

FIFA-20-Match-Day-Live-0-0-LIV-V-CHE-1st-Half.png

e-Football-PES-2020-20191125235503.png

Couple of things i noticed, The scoreboard works in Fifa or the digital clock although it says 6 20 which im not sure what that means as kick off time was 3pm is that an Arsenal thing, PES it is justy blank? PES the executive boxes you can see the stadium reflecting off the glass which is really cool.

Hopefully so many screens is not against any rules if so just delete.

Couple of things i noticed, The scoreboard works in Fifa or the digital clock although it says 6 20 which im not sure what that means as kick off time was 3pm is that an Arsenal thing, PES it is justy blank?
That should be the game clock, I believe. So basically you paused the game after 6:20 ingame minutes.

I played the demo of fifa, and wish there was something like the "semi" assisted passing in PES. It's just right for me - that's what PA1 should be like. Of course, with a ball instead of a balloon.

Other than that, the presentation is enormous - really feels like champions league. The menus, color scheme and all that is fantastic. Except that the players and their faces still look like blow-up dolls, just like they did in 17... and they scate around, Henderson (!) is doing spectacular skill moves, the gameplay overall is just not good after years of PES. At least with the teams that are there. To get a true feel of the game i'd be playing I would need to test 1-3 star teams. But yeah, feels not that different from 17.

I played the demo of fifa, and wish there was something like the "semi" assisted passing in PES. It's just right for me - that's what PA1 should be like. Of course, with a ball instead of a balloon.

Other than that, the presentation is enormous - really feels like champions league. The menus, color scheme and all that is fantastic. Except that the players and their faces still look like blow-up dolls, just like they did in 17... and they scate around, Henderson (!) is doing spectacular skill moves, the gameplay overall is just not good after years of PES. At least with the teams that are there. To get a true feel of the game i'd be playing I would need to test 1-3 star teams. But yeah, feels not that different from 17.
I find Fifa's semi passing weird and it's the exact same with assisted, You can tap the pass button and he'l hit a hard pass across field or you can build up your power and you will hit a slow pass to the player you aimed at. Thats just weird for me. Id much prefer it if the passing resembled the power you use/pressed on the pad (both for Semi and Assisted) like the way it is in PES so that if you want to hit a hard pass to a close player you can.

I find Fifa's semi passing weird and it's the exact same with assisted, You can tap the pass button and he'l hit a hard pass across field or you can build up your power and you will hit a slow pass to the player you aimed at. Thats just weird for me. Id much prefer it if the passing resembled the power you use/pressed on the pad (both for Semi and Assisted) like the way it is in PES so that if you want to hit a hard pass to a close player you can.

I actually wish more games used the (PS2 DualShock originally I think) analogue buttons concept. So if I press the button slowly, it's a more controlled pass, quicker and it's rushed out of feet (like to avoid a challenge). How hard is based on how hard the button is pressed.

I don't like how much longer you need in order to hit a hard pass to a nearby player in PES compared to a soft pass to them. The time should be equal (in fact usually less for a harder pass to someone near you).

Similarly a weak curled shot takes less time to pull off than a powered snapshot. Again, it doesn't entirely make sense.

Oh yeah, I did feel that too, but I meant more in terms of directional assistance. With the "semi" setting, if you don't take good care of aiming, the ball will not go exactly to the player. I like that part. In PES PA1, it will still go to the players feet if you get the general direction right, unless the player just has a bad passing skill.

So to me it seems that PA1 is really what should be PA2, and fifa's Semi is what PA1 should be like in the sense of direction. And I don't even want to think what PA3 is like... Probably like the two-button controls for complete beginners they have in FIFA (or used to have).

Had a few games of both last night but before Fifa i was playing NHL2019 - So jumping onto Fifa amazingly Fifa felt a little slow and i enjoyed it a whole lot more than going from PES to Fifa - Things that stood out that i missed on my previous posts were the goal keepers they are fantastic compared to PES keepers, Love the animations like the over the head passes. I also really enjoyed the shooting this time around.

Going from Fifa to PES - Oh my days PES felt like a was running in treacle or mud it was so sloooooooooooooow and felt unresponsive hard to believe this was the same game i have been playing since release and it felt a bit clunky.

I wont be playing PES again straight after playing NHL & Fifa thats for sure but what it showed me is i dont think PES will ever win Fifa players over as going from Fifa (while i think it's bang average) it really shows PES being a bit old fashioned. Now im fine with old fashioned due to the gameplay being superior but it was an eye opener last night.
Have you tried the OS sliders?!
There is no fifa playing for me without them. It’s a must, imo.
Edit: there you go, buddy (not sure if you know about that stuff): https://forums.operationsports.com/...ders/958687-fifa-20-os-community-sliders.html

I’m currently downloading fifa20 and if the good german beer isn’t to hard on me tonight, I’m tempted to make it a “PES Fan plays fifa20 the first time” live stream!
I want to... let’s see if the brain still can catch up!! :LOL:

!!! DRINK RESPONSIVELY !!!

Have you tried the OS sliders?!
There is no fifa playing for me without them. It’s a must, imo.
Edit: there you go, buddy (not sure if you know about that stuff): https://forums.operationsports.com/...ders/958687-fifa-20-os-community-sliders.html

I’m currently downloading fifa20 and if the good german beer isn’t to hard on me tonight, I’m tempted to make it a “PES Fan plays fifa20 the first time” live stream!

Too late mate it's deleted, I did use my own sliders that made it waaaaaaaaaaay better (On slow, passing and shot speed down to 45, Acc 47, Speed 45) but it's insane how fast EA make Fifa. I dont believe you can play both games simultaneously. Both games show each others flaws up and you end up thinking you dont like either when in reality i was/am loving PES this year while thinking Fifa is just average.

Last edited:
Having spent the last few years playing FIFA and being content with it, the one aspect that bothered me was the feeling that I couldn't totally do on the pitch what I really wanted, like there was some kind of barrier there. Nothing big, but just enough to render some things out of reach by a fingertip. Anyway, that's all gone now that I've discovered full-manual crossing and through balls. I've also switched on the lob assist option and now this game has gone from great fun to utterly sublime. I'm having massive midfield battles, seeing huge varieties of box scrambles, endless attempts to flick and volley the ball - it's awesome. Nothing seems forced or out of the ordinary, simply organic.

PES just does not give me even 10% of that feeling.

Let me know how it goes. With the game, not with the beer... actually with the beer as well.
Do a livestream... of the game.. not the beer. actually do a livestream drinking beer as well...

Im so tempted to get this in the black friday sale... at the same time I'm busy with other games too

Let me know how it goes. With the game, not with the beer... actually with the beer as well.
Do a livestream... of the game.. not the beer. actually do a livestream drinking beer as well...

Im so tempted to get this in the black friday sale... at the same time I'm busy with other games too
If you are interested I can set up the stream right now as I’m playing a career with Frankfurt. Ok, I’m trying to play because I need to wrap my mind around the controls first. It’s not in the blood like with PES. ;)
Still I’m missing some control on the pitch. Nearly no trick moves just basics for now.

What is frustrating a little: full manual controls are not consistent. Sometimes the same button press has a total different outcome (and yes, I know about players body position and stuff).
Add those speed up animations that sometimes happen and it’s chaos. Wish there was more consistency regarding input and outcome.

Edit: haven’t got that super cancel move working yet. L2 is Jockey and R1 is Sprint (changed it with R2). So when I use L2+R1 my player is only doing the Jockey move. R2 is Contain and takes over when I press L2+R2. Any hints?!

Last edited:
If you are interested I can set up the stream right now as I’m playing a career with Frankfurt. Ok, I’m trying to play because I need to wrap my mind around the controls first. It’s not in the blood like with PES. ;)
Still I’m missing some control on the pitch. Nearly no trick moves just basics for now.

What is frustrating a little: full manual controls are not consistent. Sometimes the same button press has a total different outcome (and yes, I know about players body position and stuff).
Add those speed up animations that sometimes happen and it’s chaos. Wish there was more consistency regarding input and outcome.

Edit: haven’t got that super cancel move working yet. L2 is Jockey and R1 is Sprint (changed it with R2). So when I use L2+R1 my player is only doing the Jockey move. R2 is Contain and takes over when I press L2+R2. Any hints?!

The thing is in my experience I try not to playy PES and FIFA at the same time. You kinda have to forget about the controls between them. Dont play fifa as you would PES and vice versa. Dont expect them to be the same. re-wire your brain and forget about the other game while you play the other.... Try to find the positives and enjoy the game. For me they complement each other throughout the year

Let me know how it goes and if you are finding it enjoyable. Both have their pros and cons. enjoy the positives and let me know how the game feels for you .

Cant help you with controls bc I suck and I dont play fuma

There is no super cancel in Fifa like it is in PES, so forget about that. You simply just can't press the buttons and expect your player to be free from all magnetic fields and rails. Fifa's super cancel mainly is about stopping animations, shots and passes. But for me it really doesn't work properly for years. So when I try to undo a shot I usually try to tap x quick enough to do a fake shot.
I only use super cancel to let a ball roll out and let my player not touch it to get a throw in. But at least in 5 from 10 times my player gets pulled to the ball anyway...

Last edited:
FIFA 20 is a certain step to the right direction in terms of pace and realism.

I despise FUT and all that coin hunt, i enjoy offline gaming only.
Contrasting FIFA to PES, FIFA is the definition of butter smoothness regarding animation. Everything is meticulously replicated, there are tons of animation for each situation covering a wide range of real footballers action.
Pace is surely nerfed than previous year, but there is lack of raw explosiveness which is better replicated in PES.
Ball has a lot more detail in physics regarding spin and bounce, but PES has better weight.
If you study all the controls you'll realise that you can do EVERYTHING. Literally. Control is more responsive than PES, and one of the biggests pros against PES is the target lock, which is set to LATE (you can change it to EARLY if you like). In PES the early target lock forces you to make silly mistaken passes.
Overall FIFA 20 is a really joy to play, you feel the ultimate control of a virtual player.
Pes 20 has a more "soccerish" feeling.

Both games are awesome for their own reasons and surely its a matter of taste which you choose.
I enjoy both, and bought both.

FIFA 20 is a certain step to the right direction in terms of pace and realism.

I despise FUT and all that coin hunt, i enjoy offline gaming only.
Contrasting FIFA to PES, FIFA is the definition of butter smoothness regarding animation. Everything is meticulously replicated, there are tons of animation for each situation covering a wide range of real footballers action.
Pace is surely nerfed than previous year, but there is lack of raw explosiveness which is better replicated in PES.
Ball has a lot more detail in physics regarding spin and bounce, but PES has better weight.
If you study all the controls you'll realise that you can do EVERYTHING. Literally. Control is more responsive than PES, and one of the biggests pros against PES is the target lock, which is set to LATE (you can change it to EARLY if you like). In PES the early target lock forces you to make silly mistaken passes.
Overall FIFA 20 is a really joy to play, you feel the ultimate control of a virtual player.
Pes 20 has a more "soccerish" feeling.

Both games are awesome for their own reasons and surely its a matter of taste which you choose.
I enjoy both, and bought both.

I think you nailed it perfectly (as far as my own still very limited in Fifa 20 experience says).

More "form" in Pes, with something that moves and sometimes feels "real", but an incredible vastness of things in Fifa. Take this example in the form of my love for apparently meaningless fractions of games:

a lot of small things happened during all the course of the play and a lot of random contextual animations emerged in this simple cross defense. Fifa is nothing but outstanding in this kind of "articulation".

That said. Exactly as you I still find this Pes quite enjoyable. Even if they are far from ideal, and you have to struggle quite a bit, it's still possible to squeeze some good football from both games.

I think you nailed it perfectly (as far as my own still very limited in Fifa 20 experience says).

More "form" in Pes, with something that moves and sometimes feels "real", but an incredible vastness of things in Fifa. Take this example in the form of my love for apparently meaningless fractions of games:

a lot of small things happened during all the course of the play and a lot of random contextual animations emerged in this simple cross defense. Fifa is nothing but outstanding in this kind of "articulation".

That said. Exactly as you I still find this Pes quite enjoyable. Even if they are far from ideal, and you have to struggle quite a bit, it's still possible to squeeze some good football from both games.
Thats the one thing that not many people mention, when they compare both games.
We talked about shooting variety, but we didnt really talk about variety in general.
In Fifa - literally - anything can happen. People say - "oh! There is more ball randomness with in Pes after last patch!"
In Fifa - ball is completely free. It can be taken, deflected and go in any direction at any time. Yes - sometimes it results in clunky or funny situations, but overall you do get the feeling that every match is different.
I never understood what people meant when they were saying that Pes is on rails, linear, or sterile.
This is it, tho.
And even if Frostbite sometimes cant handle this freedom - overall its simply less boring game on the pitch than Pes.

Someone said earlier - fifa doesnt have super cancel that works like it does in pes.. Fifa doesnt need super cancel. You never feel "trapped" like you do in Pes.

Fifa has tons of unpredictable moments and behaviour,Pes just hasn't.

My take on both games are that they're pretty fucking bad,you can paint two turds with gold paint,doesn't make them gold does it?

Both are lacking what's fundamental in football,rough tackles,a bit of aggro in derby games,sending offs, irrational behaviour all of a sudden,free kicks,that unpolished thing that is a game of football
Most footballers say they prepare for war (mentally) when going on the pitch.
All of those things are missing.

If someone made a game that replicates a real game of football , we'd (you) would see how bad these are,now we just play them because there's nothing else to play.
Shit games the both of them!

i am a keen PES fan.
Since Pes 2013 till today, i think PES represents the real sport better.
Back in 2011, FIFA 11 was a revelation for me. I think it was my top game i fell in love in my gaming history.
The day i tried FIFA 11 demo (it was night tbh) i couldn't stop playing. Everything seemed too perfect, smooth, solid, and next gen for me (coming after the stale and obsolete PES 2010). I can recall that i played 14 consecutive seasons.
FIFA 12 killed some of the smoothness, Fifa 13 was ok with the free ball spining and unscripted controlling, but PES 2013 demo was better for me for some reason. PES 2014 was the most anticipated game and a huge let down after trying it, FIFA 14 was ok with some fidel doctor mods (soccer gaming modder).
Any way for me PES 16, 17, 18, 19 was a must buy, not giving a real chance to FIFA's as i was dissapointed from the jerky animations. I skipped tottaly FIFA 18, as i was astonished by the smooth PES 2018 (but boring somehow).
PES 2019 is a very good game for me, highly playable, so PES 2020 is well anticipated.
But.....
5 days ago i tried FIFA 18, with 2 mods (fidel doctor agpe gameplay mod, and Lod Fix that makes level of detail in game much higher, and animation quality also).
I think this is the best soccer simulation i ever played.

The reasons why FIFA 18 felt better and why PES 2019 felt cheap and very off-gen are below:

-footplanting : The best till today. Fifa 19 was a little worse in order to become more responsive
-shot variety: Shots differ a lot, with many misskicks, and variable trajectories.
-cpu fouls/penalties: Cpu does commit fouls and penalties (In PES 19 thats a major problem)
-stats matter more: Stats like speed agility and strength are noticable in field
-marking and midfield play: I love the fact that cpu marking makes me to follow a more build up style of play, i use my body and inertia to protect the ball, i have to think the next pass etc. PES is more end to end with a lot less midfield play
-collisions: Better but not the best ever, good body and ball interaction, shouldering and minimal clipping
-more than 2 players jump for headers. In pes only 2 players jump, sadly...
-graphics: compared to vanilla PES 19 graphics i think FIFA 18 has better lighting and more realistic turf.
-content : not much to comment here
-skills do work: Skills are effective with right timing, whereas in PES 19 a lot of skills are a sure loss of possesion no matter how
-misskicking: i ve seen it a lot in shooting and in passing, pes 19 is more forgiving.
-tactical defending: makes you sit on the edge of your chair, with very focused defending and well timed standing tackle. PES 2019 makes you pushing cross plus square the most of the time, making defending less immersive
-atmosphere: Stadiums, crowd, intros, chants, effects are much more well worked than PES 19.
-pass and shoot target lock: you can change the direction of your kick just before the player kicks the ball. In pes the target locks just after you press the button, which is very restricting and leadingo to dumb pass misplacing
-commentary: That is the state for many years now. PEs is repetitive and somehow staged.
-no rails : the rail feel (players stucked to a certain path) of PES 19 is not present in FIFA 18.
-better visuals :Like crowd animation, waving kits and hair, shirt pull, and much more weather effects.
-cpu do dribble the ball and is not constantly passing like in pes 19
-handball: no such thing in PES
-better net physics: In pes every time the ball hits the net it travels towards the center of the net mesh, no matter the direction or the power.
-better modern menus
-overall much better presentation

Being an offline player, FIFA 18/19 is a joy to play

My biggest FIFA 18/19 gripes are:
-Ball feels too linear, and does not follow curved trajectories in passing. Also it does not bouncy realistically even in a heavily worn pitch
-Some animations are executed too rapidly. That happens mainly in cpu passing.
-Some animations are a little bit cartoonish
-Ball size is somehow a bit small.
Fifa 19 fixed that.

So i really can't wait for FIFA 20!
One week earlier i thought PES 2020 would be the way to go.

Quoting myself, i mentioned some gripes for FIFA 18/19, before FIFA 20 and PES 20 release.

Now it seems that all these gripes are gone, EA fixed the ball linearity, animation are much more fluid, ball size is fixed since fifa 19 patch.
In the same path went KONAMI. PES 20 has added physicality, ball physics and freedom, some respectable shooting variety.

A certain step up for both games.

The problems that still need to be sorted out are:
PES 2020:
-Cursor change still erratic
-Feel of movement in rails is still there
-Collisions need more improvement
-Ball physics need more detail and variety in spin and bounce
-Shooting needs more variety
-Footplanting and animations need to be much more fluid and detailed, especially in turning animations.
-Target lock should be changed to late
-Overall need of more contextual animation variety
-Some minor graphic issues like lighting in shaded areas of the pitch, where player and ball shadowing are non-existend
-Foul calling needs a total overhaul
-Physicallity also need a lot of improvement
-Unpredictability and freedom is decent but certainly not adequate
-Please bring back cloth animation (like PES 2014)
-AI does not dribble the ball, hardly ever does skill moves

FIFA 20:
-Player movement needs more weight
-Ball needs a little more weight especially in long passes
-Some passes are executed way to fast, with fast forwarded animations
-Running at full speed is like galoping
-Some body postures are funny, like shoulders are lifted up, and some unnatural torso bend
-Backstepping is also funny, like player tries to move in a tornado
-Headers are too strong sometimes
-Highly worn pitch should have more effect on ball movement (like it was in FIFA 17)
-Shooting need more zip and explotion in animation and ball trajectory
-Grass is nice on replays, but in gameplay looks very bland

Another chance for fifa 20 and i must admit that slow is finally playable + matt10 sliders , There is still sometimes problem with AI defenders but not like one month ago - game was unplayable and i sold it one month ago and bought it again :D Pes is different story - balls physic is ok , also pace is good but game is on rails , no random moments when you compare it to fifa ,just game breaker for me - its just overdated engine and they cant do antything to fix it. when it comes to fifa , for biggest issue this year is lack of players weight . They feels like made of paper but i can live with it after 5-6 games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom