FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

this is a bit off topic, been forced to play NBA2k20 cos of how bad both football games are, after playing with the various game modes in NBA, im too embarrassed to play pes master league again, what a disgrace that mode is, needs more than a 3 yr plan, im predicting it will catch up to fifas career mode in 10yrs time and another 10 yrs to give us more mode variety, really feel sorry for the online fans who have spend alot of money to support konami and in return get jack shit for more modes in myclub, let alone us offline fans who have supported this game for over 15 yrs and get all the good bits taken out of ML and simplified to the point of not playing it anymore, least we all know now trust in the demo is 0%

this is a bit off topic, been forced to play NBA2k20 cos of how bad both football games are, after playing with the various game modes in NBA, im too embarrassed to play pes master league again, what a disgrace that mode is, needs more than a 3 yr plan, im predicting it will catch up to fifas career mode in 10yrs time and another 10 yrs to give us more mode variety, really feel sorry for the online fans who have spend alot of money to support konami and in return get jack shit for more modes in myclub, let alone us offline fans who have supported this game for over 15 yrs and get all the good bits taken out of ML and simplified to the point of not playing it anymore, least we all know now trust in the demo is 0%
Same here, can't play more than 5-10 min of Pes or FIFA without thinking what crap games both are Vs my sim setup on both 2k19 and 20,I have more than 240 games played on my 19 myleague since both Pes and FIFA was released,compare that to 10-15 of fifa and Pes CM/ML put together.
I think that says something

Same here, can't play more than 5-10 min of Pes or FIFA without thinking what crap games both are Vs my sim setup on both 2k19 and 20,I have more than 240 games played on my 19 myleague since both Pes and FIFA was released,compare that to 10-15 of fifa and Pes CM/ML put together.
I think that says something

The depth and content for nba in all 3 modes are so deep especially mygm, am also getting into my team a lot as well, and when you play that you realize konami is disrespecting the loyal fan base big time.

The depth and content for nba in all 3 modes are so deep especially mygm, am also getting into my team a lot as well, and when you play that you realize konami is disrespecting the loyal fan base big time.
True that Jimi!
Even a mode like Myteam is quite good,never felt that about Fut/myclub.
Started playing it on 20 as well,though I prefer myleague.
If you want to pick up some good slider setup etc,just give me a shout.
Sorry for OT

True that Jimi!
Even a mode like Myteam is quite good,never felt that about Fut/myclub.
Started playing it on 20 as well,though I prefer myleague.
If you want to pick up some good slider setup etc,just give me a shout.
Sorry for OT
Mate if you could give me some really good slider settings for this game that would be great, thanks

The more i play FIFA 20 the more i realize how much effort and technology has been used.
Comparing it to PES surely feels much more advanced, modern, and next gen, in terms of physics, collisions, footplanting and animation transitions. I say transitions because PES has some more realistic animations for example when sprinting or when passing.
I was hating FIFA, really! But playing demo of FIFA 20 made me buy it.
Ball physics are spot on, ball is really free, one to one situations are really 50-50 you can clearly see that on pitch.
PES has nice ball weight, but ball trajectories are very similar, for example passing the ball to the same distance, will always have the same trajectory , bounce and height. FIFA has more variety and randomness.
Manual defending makes FIFA interesting and challenging when the opposition has possesion, and its really hard to gain ball with tactical defending and manual jockey.
The are so much to praise in FIFA 20, but sure there are faults and mishits like
- scripting at certain points (i played the same match 3 times and oposition engaged "god mode" and scored at 83' in every match),
- ping pong instances are still there, played by cpu. Extremely fast exchange of passes for no apparent reason.
- movement need a little more inertia and weight, but surely is much better than previous releases
And some other minor things that i have mentioned in previous post.
At this point, if someone asked me which one to buy, FIFA or PES, the answer is FIFA for many, many reasons.
I don't see why PES is considered more realistic. From which aspect? The cons are killing the realism. Cpu does not dribble, does not foul, teammate AI has serious awareness issues letting the ball pass by them, movement has issues in footplanting and turning, collisions are below mediocre, defending is boring and somewhat automated, and overall there is an old school stifness applied to everything.

The more i play FIFA 20 the more i realize how much effort and technology has been used.
Comparing it to PES surely feels much more advanced, modern, and next gen, in terms of physics, collisions, footplanting and animation transitions. I say transitions because PES has some more realistic animations for example when sprinting or when passing.
Ball physics are spot on, ball is really free, one to one situations are really 50-50 you can clearly see that on pitch.
PES has nice ball weight, but ball trajectories are very similar, for example passing the ball to the same distance, will always have the same trajectory , bounce and height. FIFA has more variety and randomness.
Manual defending makes FIFA interesting and challenging when the opposition has possesion, and its really hard to gain ball with tactical defending and manual jockey.
The are so much to praise in FIFA 20, but sure there are faults and mishits like
- scripting at certain points (i played the same match 3 times and oposition engaged "god mode" and scored at 83' in every match),
- ping pong instances are still there, played by cpu. Extremely fast exchange of passes for no apparent reason.
- movement need a little more inertia and weight, but surely is much better than previous releases
At this point, if someone asked me which one to buy, FIFA or PES, the answer is FIFA for many, many reasons.
I don't see why PES is considered more realistic. From which aspect? The cons are killing the realism. Cpu does not dribble, does not foul, teammate AI has serious awareness issues letting the ball pass by them, movement has issues in footplanting and turning, collisions are below mediocre, defending is boring and somewhat automated, and overall there is an old school stifness applied to everything.

CPU does dribble in PES but could be more
CPU does foul - i have had matches with as many as 11 and average around 6 per game
I dont see any awarness issues what so ever
No issiues with footplanting or collisions
Not sure why you think defending is automated
Is the stiffness you talk about being confused with weight of players - understandable if you like FIFA and its zero gravity

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i dont get these PES statements like never foul, never dribble etc when there are loads of videos that prove otherwise

This is by far the best element of Fifa and something that Pes developers should watch and learn carefully. Tactical defending is so challenging, yet so rewarding!
Its sad to see this feature being ignored by many who switch to Legacy, having such gem within reach.
You really have to observe, think and time your tackles. The minute you go into Pes-Instant-Pressure mode - you're gone.
But when you learn to track/jockey backwards and wait for bad touch to stick your leg out - game produces some really beautiful and rewarding moments.

Pes had some of that in the demo, where tackles were really visible and effective and every miss timed tackle resulted in fouls, but we all know how it ended.
This risk/reward defending is defo the thing I miss the most from the demo. Such a shame people didnt put any effort to learn it..

CPU does foul - i have had matches with as many as 11 and average around 6 per game
Is the stiffness you talk about being confused with weight of players - understandable if you like FIFA and its zero gravity

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i dont get these PES statements like never foul, never dribble etc when there are loads of videos that prove otherwise

I despised FIFA since FIFA 15, a keen hater.
If you search my post i was very active in Dt_18 gameplay mod thread.
My previous posts praise PES. But PES always had something off.
Let's
-Cpu does dribble in PES, ok. Did you ever see how much? Watch after match statistics, Distance Dribbled. 6 out of 11 players have 0 meters dribbled with the ball. My team has an average of 400-500 meters distance dribbles (10 min match), and CPU team has 100-150.
Compared to FIFA, PES AI prefers to pass way too much.
-Footplanting and colllision issues?
PES animation are more realistic than FIFA in general, but footplanting, turning etc are very bad implemented.
h
-Do you compare FIFA's defending system, with manual jockey, contain, and standing tackle with the simple X press on pes?
-Fifa players do need more weight on them, but the animations are very well stitched together. PES players have more weight for sure, but the implementation of movement and physics need much more work.

Microsoft dropped the trailer for the next-gen xbox coming next year.
There's a few seconds of footage from a football game shown in that trailer...

Is there anything in this pic (I don't know... the grass, the kits, the crowd?) that suggests that this is either next gen fifa or pes?
Or is a third footy game in the works?! (Haha, I wish).

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Is there anything in this pic (I don't know... the grass, the kits, the crowd?) that suggests that this is either next gen fifa or pes?

View attachment 27577

Are the other games shown in the trailer "real"? If yes there is hope. If not, it could just be a generic snippet they created for the video. I think no other thing like a 3rd football game would get me more hyped in the industry.

p.s. Just saw the whole trailer and I think Alan Watts, or better yet his ashes, are probably turning in his grave(s) :LOL:

Last edited:
Are the other games shown in the trailer "real"? If yes there is hope. If not, it could just be a generic snippet they created for the video. I think no other thing like a 3rd football game would get me more hyped in the industry.

The other two are easy. They're teasing new Halo / Forza games (both microsoft IP/exclusives), which leaves the football game footage as a bit of a mystery. Everybody refers to it as "...and a football game" which is weird. 😆

Could be Fifa 21, but then that would be the only non microsoft IP and there's no EA logo used anywhere, so who knows!

Both FIFA and PES have their share of issues but from an offline perspective I have to go with FIFA. After playing Pes 2020 for the past few weeks I went back to FIFA and was awarded a penalty against the Ai after just 2 games. With PES I've only been awarded 1 penalty since the game launched and that says alot about how fundamentally flawed PES continues to be.

Hope @Chris Davies doesnt mind me posting this.
Last night me and him decided to continue our Pes custom made Europa League... on Fifa. We had most of our group stage games done in Pes, but since we both stopped playing it while ago - we thought Why the hell not to give it a go on Fifa.

We had game speed set to slow, but unfortunately sliders could not be included (unless its a share play, apparently), so it had a small impact on our games.

For starters - we set it all up to Semi Assisted. Due to lack of sliders - we felt it was tad bit too accurate, which as a result - created faster gameplay.
Last two games we set everything (apart from Semi Assisted Shooting) to Manual and tried this.
I play this way, so it wasnt anything new to me. Chris rarely plays on manual, so I had an upper hand. Game pace was beautiful on manual passing and Chris fairly swiftly got his head around manual passing.

I can, obviously, only speak for myself, but... I will speak for both, coz im gangsta. ;) :LOL:

Those four games we had were way more fun than all the rest of group stage matches that we played on Pes.
Pes20 was a chess play. We had fun, but "chess" fun, if ye know what I mean..
Like Max and John from Grumpy Old Men.
- your move max..
<pass pass pass>
- ok. You have the ball now john. Your turn.
<pass pass pass>

The difference between this and Fifa last night was unbelievable. Dribbling, skills, tricks, speed bursts, creative build up play, not to mention all sorts of shots on goal. Daisy cutters, finesse shots, rocket shots, gk lobbes, headers and absolutely terrible attempts, including a complete miss of the ball after which my player fell and ball just slowly rolled away.
Absolutely unreal entertainment!

Some will come and say we probably just like Arcade football games.
1 - we'd be one of the first on Evo to always shout for realism on the pitch
2 - we played on manual, so our matches were very far from arcade. They looked more like Sunday League at times.
3 - purposely - we picked weaker teams (back in Pes, as we started this tournament there), not to be able to make it into end to end Messi fests.

Wish I recorded any of the matches we played. Some moments were really worth recording. Great fun!

Wish I recorded any of the matches we played. Some moments were really worth recording. Great fun!
You should have said, I nearly saved that last match (purely because of that dink of a cross and the volley, all on manual - unbelievable)!

I enjoyed it, but I still feel like manual takes great, creative teams and dulls them (because you have to play a certain way with every team to make sure you don't give up possession).

You can't do a little tiki-taka with capable players and hit 4-5 lovely little passes in a few seconds, and that's a big part of the best teams. For me, it takes realism away.

But then semi-passing is much too easy, especially without being able to use sliders online... Games become 100mph and the stats at the end are about 20 shots each (of a standard length game).

I really think (for us anyway) the golden arrangement will be using Share Play (which emulates an offline game, i.e. you can use sliders - you can even set up custom tournaments, so we can do our Europa League knockout stage properly, without pen and paper and with relevant commentary to the tournament).

That way, we can try semi and increase pass error, and more importantly, slowwww everything the fuck down (which introduces pass error anyway, because passes become underhit).

Manual passing moves that lead to a goal are really satisfying no doubt, but I'm all for realism so I can't fully love it (if we were League Two teams, then 1,000% yes - and that's my next suggestion, that if Share Play doesn't work, we play Carabao Cups forever, on fully manual)...!

Footplanting in Fifa? I never seen any evidence of this? I was playing NHL 2019 at the same time and Fifa just feel just as skatey. You got some vids of footplanting in action as im convinced it doesnt exist along with inertia in Fifa 20

View attachment 27577
The goal posts look dreadful, CGI nonsense i reckon.

Last edited:

CPU dribble has been improved somewhat in pes but I agree could be more.
CPU does foul but majority should never be given and many that aren't given are fouls.
Seen many occasions where the ai just watched the ball roll by.
Footplanting issues still exist but not as bad as previous pes games.
Defending in pes not automated but is still like FIFA legacy defending.
player weight and inertia in PES i a little too much but definitely needs more FIFA .

CPU dribble has been improved somewhat in pes but I agree could be more.
CPU does foul but majority should never be given and many that aren't given are fouls.
Seen many occasions where the ai just watched the ball roll by.
Footplanting issues still exist but not as bad as previous pes games.
Defending in pes not automated but is still like FIFA legacy defending.
player weight and inertia in PES i a little too much but definitely needs more FIFA .
Agree with most of that except fouls, every foul I get is a foul the issue is the fouls I don't get in the box

Agree with most of that except fouls, every foul I get is a foul the issue is the fouls I don't get in the box
You cannot agree with "player weight and inertia in PES i a little too much but definitely needs more FIFA" surely? Id hate them to ditch inertia/weight to make it more like Fifa's skating as thats what would happen if you reduced both. Fifa you dont ever feel fully incontrol as there is no inertia in the game and due to that it seems to make it over responsive. Totally unnatural.

Last edited:
really enjoying fifa after taking a break from pes for a while. I love the randomness of play which i hadnt felt in pes for a while. my goals feel to pack a punch compared to pes. I do miss pes fluid movements of players... they move so much organically. Also dont know but pes representation of the player actual model during gameplay is much easier for me to differenciate vs fifa.

im enjoying both games. trying not to play them as the same time as they just control so different

After playing and modding some fifa this Xmas break Ive actually done a u-turn and think that its the better game - especially inside the penalty area. Its not perfect but the latest patch has improved a lot of my initial issues with it.

After playing and modding some fifa this Xmas break Ive actually done a u-turn and think that its the better game - especially inside the penalty area. Its not perfect but the latest patch has improved a lot of my initial issues with it.

Gameplay mods? One you might recommend to try out?

Without sliders I think it's a 7 at best, the pace of it online is an actual joke (yet FUT players on Twitter cry that it's too slow - they don't want FIFA to be a football game, they want it to be an arcade button-smasher and you can't make a sim AND please those guys at the same time).

With sliders, it's an 8 for me. The floatiness needs to go, the AI needs to play like a human and the physics are still mental (power headers from the edge of the box FFS, sorry but it can't be a 9 while that still happens).

Interesting. Haven't been playing anything else than FM 2020 in the last couple of months.. But i will give either PES or FIFA a chance in february i guess. I don't have FIFA right now though. How would you guys rate the two games at the moment? (please use the scale 1-10)

Interesting. Haven't been playing anything else than FM 2020 in the last couple of months.. But i will give either PES or FIFA a chance in february i guess. I don't have FIFA right now though. How would you guys rate the two games at the moment? (please use the scale 1-10)
Your post (originally in the FIFA 20 thread) is inviting comparison of the games, so I've moved it over here!

For me... FIFA mimics current football much more than PES does (you have freedom to dribble for a start, attacking positional play is much more dynamic, errors occur more often and the variation in how wide passes/shots go is huge in comparison). The AI is challenging, at last (to me - but not everyone). Career Mode features player conversations, which genuinely adds an exciting layer to career games. However, players still float around because the representation of weight and acceleration is like a cartoon (including headers that can fly almost the whole length of the pitch) which ruins the game, without sliders.

I genuinely think it's the best FIFA yet (having gone back and played 14-19 earlier this month), which isn't necessarily saying a great deal - and I still can't play it for any length of time because I hate the floatiness and default pace (which is offensively unrealistic). But it does a lot right and as always, I'm looking forward to the next game (rather than being able to enjoy this one). 7/10.

PES plays the same brand of football it has in all previous PES games and it's a pretty outdated and unrealistic brand of "videogame football", in my opinion. Dribbling is painful, stiff and 100% of the time a worse option than just passing the ball around. Defending is "hold X to get ball" (another reason dribbling is horrible). The AI uses the same patterns repeatedly (I'm sick of long balls from defence to attack, and the old 180-turn-shot in-front of goal). The midfield doesn't exist.

Can Klashman's tactics help here? Almost definitely but why spend hours implementing them when A) sliders can do similar things within a minute, and B) there are so many other issues that can't be helped, with the AI taking infuriating shortcuts (deflections straight to feet all the time, insta-goals whenever you score against a team you're not supposed to beat etc.), and the "all new" Master League being the removal of manager customisation plus entirely pointless cutscenes.

I've said before it's probably the best PES but actually, I really don't think it is now - PES 2017's AI is from another planet compared to this, ten times more fun and it has fouls too. I've had enough of Konami's old-school PES attempts. We've got loads of them. It's time to make something new. 5/10.

Back
Top Bottom