FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Clown Baby

Banned
10 August 2015
I've read that a few members think it's a better idea to have a thread where we can debate the differences with both demos, so we don't clog up the other demo threads with comparisons.

So, here it is.

I was always a bit of a PES fanboy, I have to admit. I'd laugh at anyone who even suggested that I try a FIFA game, let alone buy one. But alas, in 2006 I caved in and bought FIFA 07 because I didn't like the direction PES was heading in.

I didn't particulary like FIFA 07 but I could see that EA were finally taking the series more seriously and there was minor positives to take from it.

Then there was FIFA 08, which was very good. And by this point, PES had become really bad in my opinion.

Since then I've bought nearly every FIFA but only PES 2013, PES 2014 and PES 2015. Whilst I think that PES is a good football game once again after having a truly awful few years (PES 2007-2012 were terrible football games) it still has too many faults in my eyes.

Every year I get my hopes up about PES only for them to be dashed by the time it finally arrives. Online is usually a mess and god knows what happened to 'scoring goals' - it's as souless as ever.

But PES still has it's hardcore fanbase. I actually know true, real hardcore PES fanboys that refuse to even try FIFA. I was one once but I grew out of that once I realised that Konami couldn't give two s**ts about us consumers; same as EA - it's all about making the £$£$.

So what do we all think of the FIFA 16 demo? What about the PES 2016 demo? What do we like? What do we dislike? What does one game do much better than the other?

(I think we're all mature enough to keep this thread friendly?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

At the moment for me Fifa is edging it. Ill play some more tonight to see if I enjoy it as much as yesterday.

I dont get that one more game feeling from PES but i do with Fifa

I love the AI, Ball physics, TELE camera and lighting. Really enjoying it.

At the moment for me Fifa is edging it. Ill play some more tonight to see if I enjoy it as much as yesterday.

I dont get that one more game feeling from PES but i do with Fifa

I love the AI, Ball physics, TELE camera and lighting. Really enjoying it.

You've summed up exactly how I feel. This is the most important factor at the end of the day - what will keep me coming back for more? Plus we're probably going to have far better online options with FIFA 16 and a better Career Mode.

I could list 20 things I prefer in FIFA, and a couple I prefer in PES.

The thing is, those couple of things - player individuality (though understated) and teams that approach a match differently (it happens in FIFA but it's more convincing in PES for my money) - aren't exactly unimportant.

For me the real test is what the game feels like after 10 league games - does it feel like you're playing the same match over and over?

PES doesn't feel like that for me this year, whereas FIFA... Well, I can't really tell yet. Seattle Sounders keep the ball when I pick a team like Chelsea, which is sensible, but when I play Barcelona, although they attack more, it's not a huge shift in strategy and it doesn't "feel" massively different. The quality of one doesn't totally eclipse the other.

So far it's looking like FIFA offline (with slider tweaks to accentuate individuality, if possible), and PES online (if they slow the damn thing down) for me, purely to avoid every online game feeling the same...

PES(PS3) - demo

+ great player and team individuality
+ intelligent AI
+ new ML
+ great player models
+ EURO, CL, EL
+ new animations witch add variety

- horrible passing and shooting
- no fouls
- soulless goals
- horrible graphics besides the faces, models

FIFA(PS3) - demo

+ great ball physics, shooting, passing
+ great flow of the game
+ great graphics in general
+ anything can happen on the pitch
+ its a joy to play against the cpu
+ have that one more game feeling
+ possibly great online experience again with lot of filters and modes
+ new animations witch add variety

- no player individuality
- its not PES

PES (PC) - demo
:D soon

FIFA (PC) - demo

Last edited:

Had around 10 matches with the FIFA demo now, following around 30 with the Pro Evo demo, before I pre-ordered that and deleted the demo.

I play 99% offline and in ML / career mode. For the second year in a row I'm sticking with Pro Evo but if it gets worse with patches or the scarce fouling & high AI pass accuracy don't get fixed then I'll do what I always do and go get the other game after Christmas.

Even though I caned FIFA13 and FIFA14, the latter was beginning to bore me and the ape-like players meant I'd rather take the piss out of them than be impressed by them. I still see that somewhat in the FIFA demo, plus as always, everything feels overdone and too flashy to me, though I will give it more time.

Konami get lots wrong, but I still like the PES demo more than I did PES2015.

PES for me so far(first time since 08 i wont be getting fifa)

Better Individuality
Better player models
More exciting
Better camera angles
FIFA at the moment just seems a bit boring - and the majority of the teams seem more or less like the same team are playing

PES needs to sort the fouling out though and the refs

Ive spent last 2 nights on Fifa demo. Will go back to PES demo tonight to see if its as average (for me) as it was before.

PES for me so far(first time since 08 i wont be getting fifa)

Better Individuality
Better player models
More exciting
Better camera angles
FIFA at the moment just seems a bit boring - and the majority of the teams seem more or less like the same team are playing

PES needs to sort the fouling out though and the refs

exactly how i feel, honestly its pretty embarrassing to see player models like that from such a big company with so called hi tech they have.

Theres no doubt that player models and player faces are superb by Konami. They are amazing. But Im amazed that EAs are so poor. Check out Hazard, Falcao and Costa who are shocking

FIFA 16 is pretty interesting in that it's showing who the fanboys are, in my opinion. The PES fanboys are posting saying how awful FIFA is, the FIFA fanboys saying it's the best game ever.

The majority of people are giving the pros and cons of each game. Both demos are pretty great and it's ridiculous to say one is so poor compared to the other ... Unless you're a fanboy and you'll never admit the other game is decent.

Do fanboys actually exist? I mean, who actually spends over 40 quid on something they don't actually enjoy but are just sticking with it because they feel an affiliation to the franchise? Is this the behaviour of a sane adult?

I understand why children stick with something and feel it's "da bestest eva!" but as an adult I will always choose what I enjoy the most.

Do EA care about us? Do Konami? Hell no!

I have played around 50 matches on the PES 2016 demo and probably around 40 matches of the new FIFA demo. For me, the difference is night and day in terms of quality, presentation and playability.

PES has taken 2 steps forward and then 1 step backwards and then 1 step sideways.

It's no way a poor game. But I feel as if Konami are trying too hard to make PES accessible. It's a more arcade-like football game than FIFA now in my opinion. Press shoot anywhere around the opponent's penalty area, regardless of what player is in possession of the ball and most of the time it will end in a goal. And this is in Superstar difficulty.

Add the fact that we don't ever get awarded free kicks and our players never getting injured, game menus that still belong in the 90s, poor net physics, an empty feeling when scoring a goal, just 22 stadiums, no major improvements to Master League and probably an online service which doesn't work very well again and it's yet another year where Konami have failed to deliver.

It's not an awful game, far from it. But from what I have played, the FIFA demo does everything much better and will also feature a better online and career mode.

I really don't think Konami have got it in them to produce a football package which can compete these days. They seem to leave out far too many important things and I am sorry but bringing out a game in 2015 on the technology we now have and only including 22 stadiums and a half arsed Master League isn't good enough.

Played me as Chelsea v Legendary AI as Man City 15 minute halves, lost 4-0, never once felt cheated or frustrated, they just played better, I had plenty of chances just didn't take them :)

You know what i think will be best when not just having a PES vs FIFA debate is if everyone could at least upload one match or even highlights of a game ao we can see how everyone plays to get a great understanding how they play and see exactly why they like or dislike the game.

Over the years but id say now more than ever you can tell a lot of critique of the game is born out of plain dislike of one game or fanboy optimisum of another.

The benefits is we can see if their style is suited more to one game or another and where they are going wrong and best of all people can see styles they like and get more enjoyment from that game.

I started with PES 3 on the PS2, played PES 4, 5 there and then since PES 6, the following ones on PC.

Played mainly against my cousin.
Started playing ML with PES 2008, skipped PES 2009 and played FIFA 09/PS3 instead.
I was thrilled at first, animations and looks, bells whistles etc.
But what I diskliked was, I found it extremely hard to dribble without sprint.
Also, every goal felt the same.

So switched back to PES 2010 and felt the magic again.
Totally totally loved PES 2011 (even I hated the demo at first, but loved the full game).
Completely skipped FIFA 10 and 11, played FIFA 12 a little bit, as I didn´t like PES 2012 much.
Played PES 2013 AND FIFA 13, completely missed FIFA 14.

I liked PES 2014 a lot for the animations even with all the flaws.
But somehow I think the magic was gone...it was only the animations that kept me playing it.

Skipped PES 2015 because I tried the FIFA 15 demo which came first and I was thrilled.
That unpredictable gameplay, that ball physics. Bells and whistles, yes, but player models damn ugly. That´s a big plus for KONAMI, faces too, no doubt.
But it made me bump my fist after every goal.
It gave me back that feeling again.

Now about these two demos,

I finally own a PS4 (NOT because of PES, no way. There was a good offer 20% off, so I only paid 299 Euros) and tested the demo.
I gotta say I liked it from the start.
Very fluid, great animations, ball physics improved. Great pace (that´s what I kinda disliked on FIFA 15, too many frantic and hectic moments and unnatural movements) and player models and faces.
And also, I had some great moments, I think the magic came back again!

I´m not sure about the player individuality though. At least when it comes to shooting. I mean, Robben feels like Robben from his agility and I mostly use his left foot for shooting. But I had moments where he used his right one and took hard shots as well.
Rafinha for example has a kicking power of 73 but I took shots with him like he was Lampard.
And that´s what I miss.
Had Lampard on PES 2013, he wasn´t that fast and agile but his kicking power.
It was always a joy knowing this guy can shoot hard, trying to get the ball to the right foot and take a kick.
The same with that ML default midfield player Myrheim (if some of you remember).
He had shit stats actually, but his kicking power was 85 or something and it was great trying to take a shot with him.

I want that back.

Now I tried the FIFA demo and well, gotta be honest,

the first moments give a great impression. Well yeah, bells and whistles is not everything but it adds a lot to the atmosphere and thats a big plus to FIFA.
Like I said, all that details together when you see the pitch at the kickoff and the crowd and all, makes it look like a real match on TV.

Ball physics are great, pace is better than before (wouldn´t say it´s better than PES...PES really wins in terms of life like animations and pace) but FIFA took a huge step in here.
Don´t let them fuck it up for the full release.

I also like the news about the CM which I like much better in general than the ML of PES. That individual training and all...that story stuff (if done right) might add some great touch there.
A good idea would be, if a player says he wants to leave his club and the fans are upset.
They should booh at him every time he receives a pass when he still plays there, like it happens in real life.

The "revamped" ML on PES is quite disappointing, but maybe still enjoyable to play.
But the CM of FIFA offers a lot more for me.

Actually didn´t wanna get both games this year, I really regret that I spent 20 € for PES 2015 PC, played it like 4 hours only.
But I surely am gonna get FIFA for PC and probably PES for PS4.

I think we´ll have two good footie games this year with their pros and cons.
There is stuff on PES, which I wish FIFA would have in it and vice versa.

The big MINUS on PES is the silence and behaviour about the PC version....no doubt.

You know what i think will be best when not just having a PES vs FIFA debate is if everyone could at least upload one match or even highlights of a game ao we can see how everyone plays to get a great understanding how they play and see exactly why they like or dislike the game.

Over the years but id say now more than ever you can tell a lot of critique of the game is born out of plain dislike of one game or fanboy optimisum of another.

The benefits is we can see if their style is suited more to one game or another and where they are going wrong and best of all people can see styles they like and get more enjoyment from that game.

This is a great idea. When I finally sit down with the FIFA demo tomorrow I'll record a game.

I thought this just all looked pretty good, and it all felt like real football. With the highlight being the CPU chopping down my pacey winger!

http://youtu.be/I5q-q1SJVh8

I thought this just all looked pretty good, and it all felt like real football. With the highlight being the CPU chopping down my pacey winger!

http://youtu.be/I5q-q1SJVh8

I myself cant comment much on that since it's just a very short segment of gameplay. I think it would be beneficial to upload them at a decent length. Little clips like that are good to explain small things, 4-6 minute highlights to give summary or something 10-15 for a full game/extended highlight.

Last edited:

PES2016
Professional or Top Player -1 game speed
0 passing support manual shooting.. default through ball I will put it on 1 pass support sometimes to get better passing in the midfield with the lesser teams

-playing defense is fantastic and I feel like I got total control of my players... best ever for a footie game
-control responsiveness very good and collisions and animation top notch
-replays suck
-foul system sucks
-basic shooting is over powered... need to play this game on manual shooting to enjoy the shot variety
-passing.. once again need to play on 0 support to get the best from this game..
-tactics are great and superior to FIFA demo
-pace and flow of game are perfect
-I said after playing a lot of this demo that this is the best PES ever and hope konami doesn't ruin it and just fix foul system for actual game
-most addicting PES gameplay since the PS2 days of PES

not many great highlights to show but a couple i do have...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ReyrjHojc7Y

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IHcsWBksUTE

FIFA2016
Professional or World Class slow game speed
full manual, legacy defending, alt control setup, analog speed off

-presentation sound atmosphere is great
-lighting looks good... licenses. etc
-replays and highlights are top notch... love this feature after the match
-assisted shooting is worst than basic shooting in PES.. you will hit the post or cross bar non stop much like advanced shooting in PES
-full manual is the best way to play and easier than before in any FIFA I have played..
-crossing feels great and volley or half volley off the cross is pure joy in this game.. even hitting over the bar a fantastic feeling as you gotta get the proper technique and timing down.. it's very tough on manual but at the same time very rewarding.. better than PES in that regard which is saying something
-foul system seems fine to me and I got a red card on my first ever lazy reckless tackle in the demo... in the PES demo this doesn't happen.. in fact you can slide tackle the entire match intentionally trying to injure the other players and actually still win the match as this tactic helps you and does not punish you like it should
-for the first time ever a FIFA demo did NOT feel fast paced and arcade like out of the box
-I only played one night but this is the best FIFA I have played out of the box ever.. I usually think they are fast pace and arcade like. this one is closer to PES and proper game pace and flow out of the box
-I also get the excitement and rewarding feeling of scoring a goal like below when playing this FIFA demo... usually this was a PES thing for me in the past but the FIFA demo has gotten me fist pumping when I score goals now which is a good thing like below

www.youtube.com/embed/Wq1ic6TQN5w

I think both games are great I guess at the moment.. ha

Last edited:

www.youtube.com/embed/Wq1ic6TQN5w

I think both games are great I guess at the moment.. ha

How do you do that stop/turn at 14 seconds into your video?

That was the while thing of momentum, you could stop quickly, and their momentum would keep them going for a bit, thus buying you space.

Doesn't seem to be in this years, but that looks like it. Also missing is the stepping on the ball then rolling it from foot to foot. Used to love doing that then bursting away at pace.

Played me as Chelsea v Legendary AI as Man City 15 minute halves, lost 4-0, never once felt cheated or frustrated, they just played better, I had plenty of chances just didn't take them :)

That's what i think when i play Fifa 16 demo i don't feel cheated.
I feel cheated sometimes in PES. Like running on rails.

Do fanboys actually exist? I mean, who actually spends over 40 quid on something they don't actually enjoy but are just sticking with it because they feel an affiliation to the franchise? Is this the behaviour of a sane adult?

I understand why children stick with something and feel it's "da bestest eva!" but as an adult I will always choose what I enjoy the most.

Do EA care about us? Do Konami? Hell no!

I have played around 50 matches on the PES 2016 demo and probably around 40 matches of the new FIFA demo. For me, the difference is night and day in terms of quality, presentation and playability.

PES has taken 2 steps forward and then 1 step backwards and then 1 step sideways.

It's no way a poor game. But I feel as if Konami are trying too hard to make PES accessible. It's a more arcade-like football game than FIFA now in my opinion. Press shoot anywhere around the opponent's penalty area, regardless of what player is in possession of the ball and most of the time it will end in a goal. And this is in Superstar difficulty.

Add the fact that we don't ever get awarded free kicks and our players never getting injured, game menus that still belong in the 90s, poor net physics, an empty feeling when scoring a goal, just 22 stadiums, no major improvements to Master League and probably an online service which doesn't work very well again and it's yet another year where Konami have failed to deliver.

It's not an awful game, far from it. But from what I have played, the FIFA demo does everything much better and will also feature a better online and career mode.

I really don't think Konami have got it in them to produce a football package which can compete these days. They seem to leave out far too many important things and I am sorry but bringing out a game in 2015 on the technology we now have and only including 22 stadiums and a half arsed Master League isn't good enough.

I agree.

Yep, nice idea Klashman. I would be interested in seeing how other people play both games.

yeah great idea and I will try to upload a match of both tonight playing on Professional and full manual...

How do you do that stop/turn at 14 seconds into your video?

to be honest I'm not sure... I think I just stopped and it did that automatically. Sorry I can't help further.. I don't know the FIFA controls as well as PES

Just haven't got into the fifa demo, Haven't enjoyed it for past few years now as for me personally felt it become stale since transition from last gent to current.

I barely touched fifa 14, i enjoyed the fifa 15 demo but then once full game came out, it just went downhill and felt robbed as i did with pre-ordering pes on PC which i eventually snapped up on PS4 on sale which while i had some fun, it just didn't feel like a finished product. I did buy pes in last few years of xbox 360 but purely on demo impression as i had some fun but the full games were always lackluster and switched to PC hoping mods would change that.

But only mods can do so much for a half functional game and i found myself years without enjoying any football game entirely, PES 2016 demo i've had a blast on but it does feel slightly too fast on default slider setting unless you go to -1 which is more or less where it should be.

Approaching the full release of both games, i will give both of them a fair go but as it currently stands, i'm more persuaded by PES based on the demos so far.

My main gripe with both games is regardless on which i prefer or enjoy, they still feel they're behind to where they actually should be and we should be getting more for our money,demanidng more to what we are actually getting.

I don't. They generalise too much in places.

Especially the part where they say:

"FIFA has one speed. Fast and forward."

"But in PES you can stop, think, look sideways" etc.

This statement would be true if they were comparing the games last year. But PES 2016 is quicker than FIFA 16 (default speeds) and (for me) this FIFA is more of a thinking man's game where as PES is a ping pong fest this year.

FIFA 16 is a much more organic experience than previous editions. I just hope EA don't mess with it and increase the speed again otherwise I won't be buying either football game this year.

Aren't those guys something to do with Asim Tanvir? If so, him and the others who work there have always preferred PES to FIFA anyway.

I'd be more interested in Eurogamer or EDGE's views on both demos. I was chatting with Asim on Twitter yesterday and although he likes FIFA, you can tell it pains him to admit it! It's a strange thing with PES fanboys, they refuse to let go. I grew out of that nonsense a long time ago.

I LONG for the day that PES gets back to it's best but I've given up hoping for that now. I just don't see where they're going with the series.

How many years will we have to put up with watered down Master Leagues, 20 stadiums and a poor online service? How many more times are Konami going to release a game where we don't get injuries and we play 4 home fixtures in a row, ALL night games? This might sound petty to some of you but these are immersion breakers. I wouldn't mind if the gameplay was as amazing as some of the PES fanboys make out but it's not - the gameplay is actually very generic now and simplistic. Plus the CPU AI cheats like hell. It decides "I am going to score now, you won't be able to do anything about it."

I'm actually boring myself because I seem to have this very same criticism of PES year in, year out. I just wish that they'd buck up their ideas and give their diehard fans what they deserve. Konami could surprise myself and the others who aren't keen on the PES 2016 demo by including fouls, more free kicks, injuries, a good multiplayer mode which works likes FIFA's i.e. you can choose to play as the weaker teams and only get paired against weaker teams, instead of having to play against Real Madrid 99 times out of 100. But I just won't hold my breath because it's Konami and they've failed so many times in the past when it comes to PES.

I can't remember the last time we have a Pro Evo game where the general consensus was "Wow, this is a DAMN good game." PES 2013 maybe? Because since PES 6, there has been far more moans about the series than praise at the various gaming sites I frequent. But maybe people just love to moan - I know that I do!

:))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom