FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

I just went out to try the OS Sliders v3. The dribbling issue is slightly better, but on the other hand the overall game is worse. The 1v1's are definitely harder to win with these sliders but overall the defense is much worse.

I played just one half in Championship League. I had two unopposed shots from inside the box, where I just walked in, not even sprinting. Then I had a classic goal of beat defender then just keep waltzing forward from half field unopposed while keeping the defender behind me. I know this is preliminary since it's just one half but I just can't be bothered to try more.
--------------------------
On PES 2020:

Pes has nearly gamebreaking issues as well, especially the tracking. Players a lot of the times forget the ball is near them. Shooting is possibly the worst I've seen in a football game in 10 years. Graphics are a joke. Master League is a far cry from Fifa's Career Mode. There are some aspects Pes absolutely nails though and that is the overall pacing of the game and first touches.

I feel like this year it's more about Fifa being very bad than Pes being that good. Been the first Pes I've bought in a long while. Even so, can not recommend Gabe's v5 gameplay mod for Pes enough https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/new-gameplay-with-dt18_all-cpk.80757/page-194 . Really does wonders to all aspects of the game.

That's not consistent and is a bit misleading, mate. Play an entire match, or series of matches, to get a better understanding. We wouldn't release a slider set that allowed you to do that each and every time.

That's not consistent and is a bit misleading, mate. Play an entire match, or series of matches, to get a better understanding. We wouldn't release a slider set that allowed you to do that each and every time.
There's nothing misleading about what I said. I even stated it's preliminary results, but if I can get all that in just one half, why would I continue trying. Now I was intentionally trying to brake the AI there ofc, so your average player who just keeps passing the ball instead of taking on dribbles all game might not notice anything wrong.

You can't fix what's broken. I've tried numerous sliders, the same things appear in all of them, just like in the base game. For me I'm just going to play another game.

Is this with the OS sliders or not? Genuinely asking because it means I have to review this all over again. I just saw your guys' earlier post and have been testing with not able to recreate what you're talking about. My closest burst was down the side with my RB against a slow CB, who still managed to stay in as long as he could.

In the longer video I provided previously, you can see I also try to beat the CPU at that 45 degree angle.

Did you see the videos that I posted mate?

Tried both games the past days.

Pes.
I can't play ML anymore,it's so depressing knowing that your TS ruins a start of a career,top that off with a mindless team mate so+an overpowered CPU,cheating instead of having a organic difficulty.
Example,I created a 99 ovr striker,played a few games Vs Genoa and SPAL (two first games of my ML)
He couldn't break away from the CPU,they won every tackle,bullied off the ball etc,reacting much slower than the CPU ai.
This was on professional difficulty.

FIFA.
I can't get used to how bad your team defends,4 individual players,not a unit in the back
Just awful.
Player models feel light weight as usual,when will that be a priority for EA?
Free kicks?
Penalties?
I don't see this game replicate football at all,where's the roughness ?
CPU passing the ball without adjusting their bodies at all?

Both examples are from ML/CM

So what I've done lately is played Pro clubs (FIFA) horrible gameplay,but fun with friends.

Guess my sport(SIM) fix will continue coming from 2k and hopefully MLB the show and my online league of NHL hockey,because both football games this year is rubbish,maybe you on pc sees it differently,on console,shite!

Tried both games the past days.

Pes.
I can't play ML anymore,it's so depressing knowing that your TS ruins a start of a career,top that off with a mindless team mate so+an overpowered CPU,cheating instead of having a organic difficulty.
Example,I created a 99 ovr striker,played a few games Vs Genoa and SPAL (two first games of my ML)
He couldn't break away from the CPU,they won every tackle,bullied off the ball etc,reacting much slower than the CPU ai.
This was on professional difficulty.

FIFA.
I can't get used to how bad your team defends,4 individual players,not a unit in the back
Just awful.
Player models feel light weight as usual,when will that be a priority for EA?
Free kicks?
Penalties?
I don't see this game replicate football at all,where's the roughness ?
CPU passing the ball without adjusting their bodies at all?

Both examples are from ML/CM

So what I've done lately is played Pro clubs (FIFA) horrible gameplay,but fun with friends.

Guess my sport(SIM) fix will continue coming from 2k and hopefully MLB the show and my online league of NHL hockey,because both football games this year is rubbish,maybe you on pc sees it differently,on console,shite!

whilst I agree with your frustrations, y'know what?

once dp7 arrives - the final data pack - i'm going to find something in both games that pleases me.

it could just be one little thing e.g. the occasional exh mode matches in pes or atmosphere in fifa.

and just focus on that little thing. that way i won't fall into that "next game will be better, must get it" trap.

between fifa 20 and pes 20 i'd like to think there's 2 years worth of game there. whilst the thing you say about the 99 ovr may be correct, i'd possibly want to test that out myself after getting a high TS in ML.

no rush though - will wait for dp7 to drop before considering a ml campaign in pes....and if dp7 is a fail, then i'll be playing more of fifa 20

whilst I agree with your frustrations, y'know what?

once dp7 arrives - the final data pack - i'm going to find something in both games that pleases me.

it could just be one little thing e.g. the occasional exh mode matches in pes or atmosphere in fifa.

and just focus on that little thing. that way i won't fall into that "next game will be better, must get it" trap.

between fifa 20 and pes 20 i'd like to think there's 2 years worth of game there. whilst the thing you say about the 99 ovr may be correct, i'd possibly want to test that out myself after getting a high TS in ML.

no rush though - will wait for dp7 to drop before considering a ml campaign in pes....and if dp7 is a fail, then i'll be playing more of fifa 20
My solution will most likely be Pes 17.

Tried to create a World Cup on FIFA and i think i realised that PES now has more National Teams than FIFA does?Did not make accurate research, but I think the only national team i found in FIFA which does not exist in PES was CANADA. Then i tired to create a EURO Cup group, with south Balkan countries, so every match on group stage would be a derby , the only NTs available were Greece and Turkey. :(

Last edited:
Tried to create a World Cup on FIFA and i think i realised that PES now has more National Teams than FIFA does?Did not make accurate research, but I think the only national team i found in FIFA which does not exist in PES was CANADA. Then i tired to create a EURO Cup group, with south Balkan countries, so every match on group stage would be a derby , the only NTs available were Greece and Turkey. :(
Yes, PES has always had more national teams than FIFA. The only team besides Canada that's not present in PES is India.

Always? Even in the PS2 era?
I think that it used to have less NT's than now back then, but even in the PES 4-6 era it used to have 64 national teams IIRC (I don't think FIFA has 64 of them now, to be honest).
Can't comment about PES 1 and 2 because I didn't play them back in the day (and haven't played them via PCSX2 yet), but I'm pretty sure that PES had more national teams than FIFA even in the 2003-2007 period.
Well, nothing beats FIFA RTWC '98 in terms of teams present in a not-on-purpose game, of course... It had even more teams than the official World Cup '98 game had!

I'm still enjoying FiFA 2002. Runs smooth as butter on my modern pc and looks better than fifa 2003-08 pc ports.

Game is locked to 50 FPS though. But running the game with monitor's refresh rate to 50Hz gets rid of the stutters. Unfortunately Nvidia Share only records at 30 and 60 fps, so there is no way to capture it at 50 fps and so I had to record at 60 fps which results in duplicate frames and ends up looking like a stuttery mess.

^ So far managed to get Fifa 2002 and 2002 world cup running smoothly and without major issues on modern pcs. Fifa 2001 still suffers from unsmooth gameplay on moden hardwares and only the flags on the crowd moves at 60 fps whereas everything runs at 30 fps lol.

Gameplay of these old fifas are just trash. It's just mindless running. Being that said, it had it's own charm and was fun to play and fool around in these games.

I went back to playing PES 2018 with Nesa's gameplay patch. It's actually pretty fun. It has that gameplay of PES 2017 with better dribbling. The gameplay patch fixes the steroid passing that the CPU AI sometimes do.

I went back to playing PES 2018 with Nesa's gameplay patch. It's actually pretty fun. It has that gameplay of PES 2017 with better dribbling. The gameplay patch fixes the steroid passing that the CPU AI sometimes do.

Yesterday I was so close to installing that game as it is the one I have the least hours on but seems it improved a bit from launch (not much tho). I have 2017 installed, but would you recommend this one with the patch?

What about body mass and collisions, which in PS4 version (no mods possibility) are completelly absent?

Yesterday I was so close to installing that game as it is the one I have the least hours on but seems it improved a bit from launch (not much tho). I have 2017 installed, but would you recommend this one with the patch?

What about body mass and collisions, which in PS4 version (no mods possibility) are completelly absent?

I love them both honestly but three things I can't stand in PES 2017 are the catch up bug, unresponsive dribbling even for player with high dribbling stat and the relentlessness pressure and closing down from CPU regardless of the tactics. With PES 2018 and the gameplay that is eliminated however physicality is not as good as PES 2017 still. It's a bit average. But for me the pros outweighs the cons so I am sticking with PES 2018 with mods for now.

I love them both honestly but three things I can't stand in PES 2017 are the catch up bug, unresponsive dribbling even for player with high dribbling stat and the relentlessness pressure and closing down from CPU regardless of the tactics. With PES 2018 and the gameplay that is eliminated however physicality is not as good as PES 2017 still. It's a bit average. But for me the pros outweighs the cons so I am sticking with PES 2018 with mods for now.
For me the physicality is the big minus of 2018, but I love it for its fluid and sweet dribbling and close control. It is the best among all pes and legions better than 19 & 20.

I don't know if you PC people can somehow restore the live beta or demo only dribbling, which was even better than the final version, soft as butter!
Especially when you release sprint and strafe the L-stick exploiting the inertia, than repressing speed to burst up. It is a state of art on those moves,

For me the physicality is the big minus of 2018, but I love it for its fluid and sweet dribbling and close control. It is the best among all pes and legions better than 19 & 20.

I don't know if you PC people can somehow restore the live beta or demo only dribbling, which was even better than the final version, soft as butter!
Especially when you release sprint and strafe the L-stick exploiting the inertia, than repressing speed to burst up. It is a state of art on those moves,

That's how it is with the gameplay mod I am playing with. Defenders are less magnetized and psychic so with clever left stick movements, you can dribble past them. But there are some players like Kante and Varane for example that are really hard to fool. So I really enjoy that part. But like you said, the physicality in the air lacks a bit in PES 2018 and scoring a goal from a cross is really easy due to that.

Read full article now, very interesting. I always love these inside info. Also very accurate on how things went on the modern Era and loved this guy's Azim Tanvir opinion, about three pillars that make pes unique and not just a poor man's FIFA.

Now, as i'm a well-known "ISS-fanboy", and I will always believe that ISS 98 beats hands down, even the first Goal Storm, in gameplay terms. But let's separate apples and oranges, and compare same things. I do not have a clue about sales, but judging only by pure gameplay

Is there any person who finds this better than this .

Or can this be in any case better than this?

Last edited:
from that beautiful to read article, thanks for posting @Chris Davies (i am having so much fun reading this, walking memory lane) :LOVE: , another article mentioned:

The eurogamer PES review on PS2:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_pes_ps2

aahhhh.... good times! :D

edit: from the guadian article, Asim said it so nice:
Asim Tanvir, whose devotion to PES scored him a job as Konami’s social media manager from 2016 to 2019, offers hope. “A new engine is key. The current mix of the Fox Engine and rusty code is holding the game back where it used to excel. Forget spending big on licences. Go back to three pillars that made the series so popular: responsive gameplay, realistic AI and engaging modes. Give frustrated Fifa players a genuine alternative, rather than a cheap side dish.”
:APPLAUD:

Last edited:

Enjoyable read.

Did PES2019 really only sell 550,000 worldwide? What a huge a fall from its glory days, even if it was one of the worst PESs ever.

Asim's comment is spot on - Konami should employ this guy:
A new engine is key. The current mix of the Fox Engine and rusty code is holding the game back where it used to excel. Forget spending big on licences. Go back to three pillars that made the series so popular: responsive gameplay, realistic AI and engaging modes. Give frustrated Fifa players a genuine alternative, rather than a cheap side dish.

For all the frustrations of the last couple of PESs, I'm glad Konami are sticking at it because, with the exception of FIFA 2016, I haven't liked playing FIFA since about 2011/12. Imagine FIFA was all there was....

Read full article now, very interesting. I always love these inside info. Also very accurate on how things went on the modern Era and loved this guy's Azim Tanvir opinion, about three pillars that make pes unique and not just a poor man's FIFA.

Now, as i'm a well-known "ISS-fanboy", and I will always believe that ISS 98 beats hands down, even the first Goal Storm, in gameplay terms. But let's separate apples and oranges, and compare same things. I do not have a clue about sales, but judging only by pure gameplay

Is there any person who finds this better than this .

Or can this be in any case better than this?

One of my favourite reviews ever was an ISS 64 one in which the guy went as far as heavily insulting whoever bought Fifa 64 rather than ISS (yeah, the magazine didn't care much about political correctness :LOL: ).

But seriously tho.. imo licenses and leagues made a great difference back in the days. I have a theory that Kceo ISS (all the three titles) would have been much more popular if they put in clubs, even unlicenses like Winning Eleven first did.

One of my favourite reviews ever was an ISS 64 one in which the guy went as far as heavily insulting whoever bought Fifa 64 rather than ISS (yeah, the magazine didn't care much about political correctness :LOL: ).

But seriously tho.. imo licenses and leagues made a great difference back in the days. I have a theory that Kceo ISS (all the three titles) would have been much more popular if they put in clubs, even unlicenses like Winning Eleven first did.
At least they left a pretty rich legacy:
The BaL mode, The snow and weather effects, the linesmen referrers, the 360 movement, the coin flip.... Well screw the coin flip :P

I always wonder what could happen, if both teams KCEO and KCET worked together from the beginning and combined all ideas of ISS, We, GoalStorm, ISS Pro Evo.

We have a service here were I live (Sweden) called "gambling pause" it effectively locks your credit card from online gambling,and once activated you can't unlock it until the time you set it for (1-3-6-12 months) has expired.

Wish we had a similar tool for Pes and FIFA,i regret buying both FIFA /Pes last year and the year before that,and I know next games will be equally crap.

Back
Top Bottom