FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

I played the hell out of fifa 20 with os sliders, after buying pes 2020 and disliking it as it had gotten worse after the demo.

Having played fifa 21 with the ea play trial I took a gamble and bought pes 2021 and im so happy I did. Its not perfect but it fixed some issues from 20 I hated.

I've switched to full manual too and its converted the game into something even better. I now can't imagine going back to fifa in its current state. Pes for me just feels much more like an actual game of football

Someone bought me PES2021.

I've played one half and didn't turn it off in disgust. By recent standards that's a win.

Will investigate further later.

Seems very very strange not having AC Milan licensed in Pro though.
You're doing better than me. I can't get through a half on either game at the moment. Looks like it's PES 2013 and FIFA 16 for me for now...

To be fair I never went back to it. Finally started playing The Talos Principle instead.
I put FIFA 21 on yesterday, legendary - first 2 minutes I completely split the defence wide open with 2 passes and walked into an open goal. No resistance at all. Turned it straight off. Literally had the game on for 3 mins haha.

Don't take this the wrong way but why do you do it to yourselves? The game isn't going to magically change all of a sudden. Both games are hot garbage and have been for years now. This isn't going to change anytime soon due to the eSports scene, myClub and FUT.

I haven't even bought FIFA this year and I won't bother. I've decided that it's not worth wasting my time or money on the bullshit that Konami and EA think is acceptable now. PES 2021 is a demo. Master League has the depth of the shallow end at my local swimming pool. Team Spirit ruins the gameplay, which isn't even that good in the first place. FIFA's Career Mode isn't worth touching because of how easy it is and has been since FIFA 17. There's no pleasure to be had unless you're a myClub or FUT Zombie. Yes, there's a minority here who still enjoy PES and dip in & out, playing their Cup games or whatever and that's great if that gives you satisfaction. Personally I don't see the point in playing souless international tournaments with no feeling of achievement or progression - so even if PES's gameplay was good again, I wouldn't bother.

If you love football and have to play a football game, I'd stick with Football Manager or a good version of PES when it had interesting AI. Or even FIFA 16 with mods, or whatever.

But the modern football games are absolute trash.

It's just heartbreaking, man. To think of the excitement I had as a kid playing PES, at where I thought the game would be 20 years later.

This. Sums up how I feel so well. But I was at this point by about March of this year with these games - I've done the grieving, I'm now at the acceptance stage.

I'm so happy I've resisted to buy both so far.

There never was a risk with Pes, to be honest. Right from the moment they announced it would have been a season update. The things that were putting me off in 2020 are still there in full force- would make zero sense for me to buy it. After the watch of some good chunk of footage, I can say there were tweaks (even if minimal, in my eyes), but it's mostly stuff that moves very little for me.
They'd need to rethink A LOT of things for 2022, or all the surroundings, the animations and the graphics in the world won't make much difference. As it is right now, it's a soulless experience to me.

With Fifa I was a bit more tempted, given some of the new stuff they promised- but it quickly disappeared. The years go by and the struggle to produce a decent experience with sliders seems to get tougher and tougher, the blanket to cover this horrible junkies-based programming getting so short it's impossible to cover all the fundamentals with the meager options they give us. No midfield, stupid players, FUT gimmicks invading offline, animations that looks even more butchered and speeded up.. from what I read there maybe is more variety in the CPU teams approach, which is something I love to see, but is it really enjoyable when you have to break immersion every tot minutes cause your, or AI players do something that would have look nonsensically robotic even in early 00's?
With the single teams they lost in Serie A and the absence of Serie B I don't even feel like I'm buying a complete package anymore, which was at least one of the main excuses of the past years. So, to conclude.. in this moment, I truly don't feel the need to pick it up. EA don't even consider it "broken" so my hopes for something important to change via patches are practically zero. Plus I already have Fifa 20, which was at least decent with sliders.. would the will to play something on a similar vibe arise, I'd probably explore more this.

But as of now, every old game I touch it's fulfilling. Don't know if it's a reaction in front of all the shallowness of the new chapters.. but even for their flaws, going back in time I find fouls, midfield battles, individuality and all the other things modernity sacrificed on the altar of microstransactions.
I know for many it isn't a fix and I respect that.. God knows how much I'd absolutely love myself to have a modern game which respects football. But regardless, I think I'm done trying to force myself to like/play something which isn't even directed to me just cause it's new.

Last edited:
This console generation has been horrific for PES and FIfa.
Glad i'm out of gaming now but had to buy FIFA 21 for my dad as a birthday present so keep my eye on things.
Same every year, people say they wont buy it as the current years version is rubbish, they buy new one and are disappointed with it.
I know, cos I done the same every year!
Hopefully new consoles will improve the games but as its all geared to making money online I doubt it.
They aren't interested in investing in ML or CM as it makes them zero money. They would hate someone like me who used to play ML all year and not even bother to venture online therefore the game is no longer made for people like me.

I am just waiting for next year. If there will be some real improvements that will only happen with nextgen consoles.

Gotta be this year officially when both games are in the worst shape. Watched some FIFA21 offline gameplay, shocking. At least FIFA had some good years in the current generation but mostly at least it was a constant meh, which you could tweak via sliders. But this year? Two poor games, we hit rock bottom.

ClearAdmirableHyracotherium-small.gif

Haven't bought any of the 21's.
Though I hated Pes 20 and had quite some fun with FIFA 20,that game is still shite.

New gen won't save or take anything fw,better graphics of course.
But FIFA has decided to go full kiddy game,so that game is lost,unless somehow the YT crowd decides it's cool with old school gameplay.
Otherwise,it's the same old shit for 22 and beyond.

Pes,no clue.
Guess they're trying to copy FIFA's succes as much as possible.
I'll be playing most games from next month in 60fps,and football games in 720p

Funny how all the last football games on previous gens seemed to be crowning moments, with shit loads of features, just to finish off with a bang..

This gen is basically a big flop, bowl of leftovers, just to squeeze a bit more money before moving onto next gen.

I had both PES and Fifa last year. I appreciated the gameplay Pes offered, making it feel more like a real game.

However even with mods on PC it never felt right to me. It was fun, but knowing I had to mod the crap out of it to enjoy it was a little tiresome. I'd get to the point where I do so much modding that when I loaded the game I was already tired of a
Playing.

Fifa, has been fun. Yeah it's like the Call of Duty of football games, but I've enjoyed it, knowing it's arcade.

I do wish I was able to find more enjoyment out of PES. The graphics are incredible in some areas, and some of the players completely blow Fifas graphics out of the water.

I enjoy Fifa 16 from time to time still!

I might be in the minority here, but I was happy enough with PES2020, got the season update and im really enjoying it, feels totally different, more responsive with a wide variety of goals, im also just getting into manual which is making it even more interesting.I bought FIFA20 recently on the store for around 6 quid, everything about it was good until I played the actual game, its just not close to resembling football.Ive been reading and watching reviews for FIFA21 and it seems like theyve made it even worse.
Exactly this, Far more responsive than 2020. So enjoyable to play and of course it looks good, player models etc. I've played football at various levels, currently work for a premiership club and although PES is not perfect, its the best playable football game out currently. Not perfect but enjoyable and thats what is important to me.

Okay... FIFA players since 20 are way too lethargic (may be earlier, I don't own 21 and I do not plan on getting it), but what's wrong with PES? Players are constantly sprinting back and force like no head chikkens. Cool down guys. Try to look at where is the ball, you might actually stand a chance to get it. Or your teammates might want to play a short pass for a change...

PES 2021 have issues, a lot of issues but miles better than FIFA 21. I am an honest and direct person and I thought FIFA 20 was better than PES 2020 and FIFA 19 was better than PES 2019 but PES 2021 is heading in the right direction. I just hope they keep this direction in PES 2022 with better ball physics, better AI, better animation transition, better physics system with physicality and fouls and better master league. I do agree that FIFA 21 career mode is better.

Agree with the above PES 21 has issue, sparse game modes etc which puts it to shame in comparison to the wealth of content we were used to pre fox engine days, but is the best representation of football i have played in years, and I will take that. Hated PES 20, find this one much better. Have only played fifa 21 briefly so cannot comment too much on that.

When I see goals like this in real-time (the clip needs to be longer really, but the replay shows most of what I mean)...

I think to myself - as I do with most EPL goals - "you see that so often on FIFA" and "you can't do that on PES, it's too slow, too laboured, too catch-uppy, too unresponsive to have the kind of freedom you need to score modern goals". PES is football from a different time.

...which is why it's so painful, just how good FIFA is at mimicking attacking movement, when it's so disrespectful it is to realism (with the default speed being truly stupid, truly fast-forward stuff), and so unbelievably dreadful when it comes to transition play (i.e. the midfield), defensive movement and teammate defensive AI.

Even with FIFA 21 - which is so bad that it's the first FIFA I've uninstalled by Christmas... You can feel individual explosiveness, you can put together fast-passing moves, the variety in all ball contacts (passes and shots) is superb. You really miss it when - if you're like me - you feel forced to play PES instead because of how bad everything else is.

I so desperately hope that the reason FIFA doesn't arrive until December on next-gen (and why we're not seeing any footage of it) is because at least parts of it are rebuilt.

Even animation improvements can improve gameplay. NBA 2K has much-improved footplanting - if FIFA gets that, and the slideyness goes out the window... JUST THAT will automatically make gameplay better.

I still havent bought either game this year, but im following the threads and people opinions.

Its the same story as last couple of years. People desperately trying to find their sweet spot with settings, tactics, sliders, patches..

When Pes is getting too much - they go to Fifa, initially being amazed by atmosphere, randomness and shooting variety. After a while, when braindead AI is getting too much - they go back to PES and initially feel like things have improved. AI Player movements of the ball seems much better, AI seems more varied (where really is just an illusion, coz patterns are different on Fifa), there are fouls..

Eventually - shallow and limited shooting is getting too much, AI does the same things, matches are scripted to constantly provide artificial drama, so they go back to FIFA again.

And so it goes.. its kinda weird reading all this, coz all im thinking is
"That was me last 3 years. Bouncing from one game to another, changing sliders every few games, starting new master leagues with different teams and settings, hoping that this time will be different, then going back to Pes/Fifa 18/17 and so on.."

I dont know what the future hold for football games, im not really hyped for '22. Id rather be pleasantly surprised than very dissappointed.

But one thing I know is that football games, in their current state, dont deserve our frustration and all the work we put into them to make them work a tiny bit better.

I still havent bought either game this year, but im following the threads and people opinions.

Its the same story as last couple of years. People desperately trying to find their sweet spot with settings, tactics, sliders, patches..

When Pes is getting too much - they go to Fifa, initially being amazed by atmosphere, randomness and shooting variety. After a while, when braindead AI is getting too much - they go back to PES and initially feel like things have improved. AI Player movements of the ball seems much better, AI seems more varied (where really is just an illusion, coz patterns are different on Fifa), there are fouls..

Eventually - shallow and limited shooting is getting too much, AI does the same things, matches are scripted to constantly provide artificial drama, so they go back to FIFA again.

And so it goes.. its kinda weird reading all this, coz all im thinking is
"That was me last 3 years. Bouncing from one game to another, changing sliders every few games, starting new master leagues with different teams and settings, hoping that this time will be different, then going back to Pes/Fifa 18/17 and so on.."

I dont know what the future hold for football games, im not really hyped for '22. Id rather be pleasantly surprised than very dissappointed.

But one thing I know is that football games, in their current state, dont deserve our frustration and all the work we put into them to make them work a tiny bit better.
Spot on man. After going through this exact cycle during 18/19/20, I sampled both 21 games and immediately came to the same conclusion as you. I’ve instead decided to go back to older games for the last 6 months or so, trying some I missed out on, playing some I loved back in the day. I’ve been so much less frustrated going down this path. I’m really enjoying what some of the older titles bring and I feel like I’ve gained more than I’ve lost by playing these games. It’s actually ridiculous how much better they are gameplay wise.

I downloaded and installed the lates pesunites option file, and its great! Huge effort from the guys behind it! :APPLAUD:
the game it’s used in isn’t just holding up to that level of quality though!

Played PES2021 today after some weeks of FIFA16 only. I can only find joy in the latter! One aspect really is the AI and how it uses space. At least that’s one mayor thing contributing to the kind of football I want to see/play! I can’t go back to PES at the moment!
never thought I’d say that. :)

I downloaded and installed the lates pesunites option file, and its great! Huge effort from the guys behind it! :APPLAUD:
the game it’s used in isn’t just holding up to that level of quality though!

Played PES2021 today after some weeks of FIFA16 only. I can only find joy in the latter! One aspect really is the AI and how it uses space. At least that’s one mayor thing contributing to the kind of football I want to see/play! I can’t go back to PES at the moment!
never thought I’d say that. :)
It’s interesting when your eyes are fresh from modern pes and you go back to it just how chaotic it looks. I feel like it looks a bit like an NFL game, just vertical running all the time, no settling in position.

It’s interesting when your eyes are fresh from modern pes and you go back to it just how chaotic it looks. I feel like it looks a bit like an NFL game, just vertical running all the time, no settling in position.
yes, one of the worst parts when i got back, was the fast play forward... a lot of space plus 2 laser guided passes and the AI was in front of my penalty area! insane! and then the game was moving from one side to the other so fast... counter attack football none stop. well, you can stop it, when YOU have the ball and play around the AI's pen area! when YOU decide to do so, not the AI forcing you to do so! and in real life, its a mix of both, imo!
anyway... i'm having so much fun with FIFA16! uploaded another match to youtube last night! *will post it later.

for me, its the AI and the variance in how they play and that i can be as varied as them too! same weapons to both sides! this resembles football the best to me on PS4/PS5! havent played PES2017 in a very long time... this could be another contender, but currently its FIFA16 vanilla disc!

one thing i dont liked, as i play professional 99% of the time, when i set it to world class last night, the AI was canceling animations in their favor (to pass a ball before the animation ends or turn faster). the passing got a bit less error and became faster. well, i was playing against france, and they are good, but sometimes the passing felt to fast and overpowered. guess its kinda the same with the difficulty levels everywhere, i guess! ;)
i will try lower league teams on world class tonight... lets see. and if its not for me aka AI play looks off, i'll go back to professional. no prob for me as its still challenging for me in fuma! :D
anyway... i was very proud of my 1:1 score with Belgium vs France last night, when France lost 2 of their players by red cards! :D they were so much stronger than me, pressuring like a "world class" team for 40 minutes! then Griezman got red carded and the game started again for me... :D everything was much more "equal" now! conquering their strength with me having one more man on the pitch, i was fighting... scratching... and crawling! lovely stuff!
:LOVE:

*edit: and here you can find the video! it's Stuttgart vs. Porto! Enjoy! https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/fifa-16-video-thread.75471/post-3667414

and there is more to come... just keep an eye on the FIFA16 video thread!

Last edited:
Manual PES , advanced through ball on superstar doing a league is as good as it gets this year ..love it
i can t really agree with u here, i ve tried every possible solution, i always find myself getting walked over near the 16 yards and inside, the thing is, if only PES on high difficulty isn t as rigid as it is, i can make a direct comparison here:
i just put up a game in fifa 19 using Matt10 sliders the one he recommended here on the forum, i ve played 1 game, and jesus christ the difference in response of how you can dribble in this game add to that the amount of variety when u arrive near or inside the box, i have scored goals on fifa that i would never be able to replicate in PES while maintaining a good level of realism to the game, mind you, i am an out and out PES player and love PES but not since pes 2012, i have stopped really enjoying the game, i have much preffered the old engine myself tbh, but i just couldn t enjoy PES 20 and 21, the game is so rigid on superstar difficulty that u feel that if u were 2-0 down it is done and dusted while in fifa, u always have the responsiveness and fluidity to get back into the game, i don t know how many times i have rage quitted on PES 21 because even when going one on one with the keeper u feel that u can t score, that somehow the keeper will make the save or the defender would still barge into u to make off balance.
i could talk about this hours and hours, the game on higher difficulty just looses the PES feel to me, this is where fifa with the right sliders feels at least like a decent PES clone

Back
Top Bottom