Fifa Punish Turkey

Scholes18

Conference
21 April 2003
England
Turkey get six-game Fifa sanction

Turkey have been ordered by world soccer's governing body Fifa to play their next six home matches at a neutral ground and behind closed doors.

The punishment comes following a fracas after their World Cup qualifier against Switzerland, last June.
Switzerland's Benjamin Huggel has been banned for six matches and will miss the World Cup.
Meanwhile, Turkey players, Alpay Ozalan and Emre Belozoglu, have also been banned for six matches.

breaking news from BBC

from Fifa.com

Turkey to play next six official home matches behind closed doors on neutral ground – Sanctions imposed on various individuals

Zurich, 7 February 2006 - The FIFA Disciplinary Committee met at FIFA headquarters in Zurich on Monday, 6 February and Tuesday, 7 February 2006 to discuss the incidents that occurred in connection with the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ preliminary competition match between Turkey and Switzerland in Istanbul on 16 November 2005.

Under the chairmanship of deputy chairman Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa (Bahrain), the committee, sitting as the body of first instance, passed the following decisions:

In the main proceedings against the Turkish Football Federation:

- the Turkish Football Federation is ordered to play its next six official home matches behind closed doors in a neutral venue in another country affiliated to UEFA with a minimum distance of 500km to the Turkish border. The Turkish Football Federation is ordered to pay all organisational costs with regard to these six matches.
- a fine in the amount of CHF 200,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 20,000).

In the individual proceedings against:

a) Alpay Ozalan (Turkey, player)
- a suspension of six official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.
- a fine of CHF 15,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 1,000)

b) Emre Belozoglu (Turkey, player)
- a suspension of six official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.

c) Serkan Balci (Turkey, player)
- a suspension of two official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.
- a fine of CHF 5,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

d) Mehmet Ozdilek (Turkey, assistant coach)
- a ban from taking part in any football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other activity), within associations, confederations or FIFA for 12 months as from notification of this decision.

e) Benjamin Huggel (Switzerland, player)
- a fine of CHF 15,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

f) Stephan Meyer (Switzerland, physiotherapist)
- a suspension of two official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.
- a fine of CHF 6,500 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

The decisions will now be sent to the relevant parties and will be followed up with a detailed, reasoned explanation within the next thirty days.

With the exception of the decisions against Serkan Balci and Stephan Meyer, all other first-instance decisions passed by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee may be taken to the FIFA Appeal Committee before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne may be called upon to act as the body of final instance in accordance with the FIFA Statutes.

Last edited:
playing behind closed doors is pathetic!

it wasnt anything to do with the fans, it was the team itself!! the fans shouldnt be punished, the team should!! BAN THE BASTADS!! lol

Really sucks :S BAN THE PLAYERS! why the whole team and the Turkish people? f*ck fifa

Blatter get's what he want.This is so political.Okey for 6 match another venue ban but why it given no supporters?They are trying to kill Turkish football.They don't want Türkiye in Euro 2008.If England or France in our position this ban so much differnt.

I think Turkey are lucky not to have been banned from some future competitions because it wasn't just the fans, it was mainly the players (some blame goes to Switzerland too).

Blatter thinks he can ban us from some future competitions but this ban came back from CAS likely in 1989 Xmax-Galatasaray match...

noise said:
playing behind closed doors is pathetic!

it wasnt anything to do with the fans, it was the team itself!! the fans shouldnt be punished, the team should!! BAN THE BASTADS!! lol

Bastards? :roll:

Did you watch the match? Supporters didnt do anything. Everything was happened in pitch and in coridors. So, why supporters and team should ban? Also, If Turkey get ban, Swiss side must get too. But there is one point. An old freak Blatter is Swiss. That's why only Huggel get banned.

We lived same things 3 years ago at Roma. Roma players and supporters attack to Galatasaray players. Also, Italian polices joined. But what happend after than? Only 1 match without supporters.

C'mon. Everybody knows that UEFA doesnt want us in Cup. For some political and religion reason. I dont want too. If we challenge in Asia side, wont be problem for me. Because, I really sicked after seeing refree's and UEFA's plays on Turkey.

Plus, Emre and Alpay get 6 matches ban from FIFA. Yes, Alpay must ban but Emre didnt do anything! Huggel and Alpay must ban from International cups but why Emre? It's very hard to understand these bastards. And people like you! I hope CAS will understand us. (I dont think soo but i hope.)

My friend, i haven't seen the match so i won't judge either Swiss or Turkey.
Fact is that there are frequent trouble with both Turkish players and supporters (one example: the murder of the Leeds fan, but there are others...).
Fact is also that quite a lot of Turkish people are rather quick with all kinds of conspiracy theories...why would UEFA or FIFA have something against Turkish football...please give me one valuable reason...

Turkey is a beautiful country and most Turkish people i know are friendly and i really like some of your players (Emre, Basturk, Ilhan Mansiz,...) but why are some/most (?) Turkish people so bloody nationalistic...
When questions are asked about the treatment of minorities you guys talk about conspiracies, one can not mention past massacres against minorities (Armenians, Kurds) or you guys talk about conspiracies...
You even take your best writes (Orhan Pamuk, fantastic books...a possible Nobel Prize winner) before court because he has some well meant criticism (artists have a right to criticize even if it isn't well meant...).
On the one hand you guys want to be a part of the European Union (and i have nothing against that) on the other hand you don't share some of our values...

And once again i like Turkey and Turkish people i've lived for years in a neighbourhood were there were plenty of Turkish people and i loved it...

alpay is old and idiot, same as hakan sukur... thanks to the coach terim these troubles are coming..

shut op :s Hakan Sukur is the glory of Turkey. okey he can't play football but he is important for the team.. what do you think about deniz baris and servet cetin? they are not players to play on that int. highclass.

Punish the players! not the supporters and the Turkish people! bustards...

Last edited by a moderator:
scratch-br said:
Maybe the funniest is that they'll have to pay in Swiss Francs.
:lol: they do?

p.s. Huggel deserved it but yeah it sure is sad for him. Every player dreams of playing in WC and now that team qualified due to his stupid act and many other players from both sides he wont get to play!

gerd said:
My friend, i haven't seen the match so i won't judge either Swiss or Turkey.
Fact is that there are frequent trouble with both Turkish players and supporters (one example: the murder of the Leeds fan, but there are others...).
Fact is also that quite a lot of Turkish people are rather quick with all kinds of conspiracy theories...why would UEFA or FIFA have something against Turkish football...please give me one valuable reason...

Turkey is a beautiful country and most Turkish people i know are friendly and i really like some of your players (Emre, Basturk, Ilhan Mansiz,...) but why are some/most (?) Turkish people so bloody nationalistic...
When questions are asked about the treatment of minorities you guys talk about conspiracies, one can not mention past massacres against minorities (Armenians, Kurds) or you guys talk about conspiracies...
You even take your best writes (Orhan Pamuk, fantastic books...a possible Nobel Prize winner) before court because he has some well meant criticism (artists have a right to criticize even if it isn't well meant...).
On the one hand you guys want to be a part of the European Union (and i have nothing against that) on the other hand you don't share some of our values...

And once again i like Turkey and Turkish people i've lived for years in a neighbourhood were there were plenty of Turkish people and i loved it...

great post gerd, i'm really surprised that you also know orham pamuk :)

he is public enemy no.1 at the moment.and dont mention armenians when you talk with a (nationalistic) turk.they wont accept it, thats the truth.

as for the punishment, i think 6 matches are ok but it should be either without attendance in turkey or at a neutral level but with attendance.

the behind closed doors thing is because the fans chucked stuff at the players while they were coming off the pitch, and turkey had allready been warned about 5 times about the conduct of their fans

but what did spain get for the racist chants? i'm not sticking up for turkey but it seems a little biased. the swiss player was the scape goat, he was sacrifised to save them having to punish the team.

Why Swiss get punished for the first match of elemination?Their supporters throw everything to to Turkish fans.

Why As Roma not get punished after Galatasaray match in Olimpico Stadium?

"We want peace.Not only in our country in all world."
M.Kemal Atatürk
Founder Of Türkiye Republic

Thanks for yout thinks about Turks, gerd. But you're not right about Orhan Pamuk. He sold his country for Nobel Award. Many Armenians killed Turks at the east side of Turkey. But nobody knows them.

For punishment, I can understand for matches out of Turkey but why without supporters? Because FIFA knows that, if we play our matches at Germany, there will be a great atmosphere. (Because more than 3 million Turkish people lives in Germany.) But, We will join Euro 2008. I'm %100 sure.

We will punish fifa by joing Euro 2008 being in first place.We became one soul and one heart after this,instead some fish brained heads,punishment.Fifa will Turkish power again and again...We have the best country love in the world.

Blatter you are a a.s hole idiot.Who select you to president of FİFA?You are the last men to be FİFA president..

03Gs1905 said:
We will punish fifa by joing Euro 2008 being in first place.We became one soul and one heart after this,instead some fish brained heads,punishment.Fifa will Turkish power again and again...We have the best country love in the world.

Blatter you are a a.s hole idiot.Who select you to president of FİFA?You are the last men to be FİFA president..

Totally Agree hemserim!

Back
Top Bottom