FIFA2006 PS2 Final version

Boefje

Conference
30 July 2003
Trough the eyes of a pro evo-fan, i must honestly say, that i actually like the new fifa this year. Yesterday i gave it a few hours, since we have to wait a few more weeks for PES will come out.

It is not as good as WE9, but it plays good:

Player seems to be less scripted en can f.e. fall down, like players in WE/PES can when you turn to quick.

That stupid off-the-ball-control seems to be gone and it looks like they simply copied the button-config from WE/PES. (so shooting/passing/troughball...it is all there!)

Commentary is still funny but they seem to have more text now, so it will be annoying within a week, instead of in 2 days. ;)

The only funny thing i noticed was that the faces totally differs from real characters (From AJAX/Feyenoord that is) and that (from screenshots) the faces are much better in PES/WE.

I would say, give it a try and make the waiting for PES less painfull.

Is there a 60 hz option in the settings area like last years? can you check for me?

going to give it a try later today.i haven't played a PS2 FIFA since Euro 04, so i am excited to see how it feels.Cause Euro 04 was shite. :mrgreen:

there is no 60Hz-option while booting like PES has, but can you tell me...was it like that last year? ( i skipped that one)

Or should i find it in the menu?

Was dissapointed with it tbh. Was hoping it would be quite good with people saying its like pes4 but still think its a poorer version of that game, so i won even get started on we9/pes5. Passing/crossing just didnt seem to have any speed to it, shooting has no 'feeling' to it. And the graphics were quite poor aswell. Ive always thought that the fifa series has superior graphics to the pes/we series. However after playing the shirts/faces are far poorer then in pes/we. The stadiums i played in seemed very dark ( during night and day games) so you didnt really see much of it. The movement/animation of the players looked poorer aswell, with the only graphic highlights seeming to be the "touches" like sharp/blur zooming in replays and stuff. The usual fifa fluff in other words. The main plus point was te pitches, they actually look like pitches instead of the crap pes/we serve up these days.

As for playing the com players in my team seemed very rigged to there position ( strikers staying in the same place instead of backtracking when the ball is nearer them then my controlled player. Midfielders staying in place when one should be covering.

I have to admit that i only played 2 games and had a few minutes training, however 3/4 of the way thru the 2nd game i just couldnt be bothered to continue.

tiktiktiktik said:
Was dissapointed with it tbh. Was hoping it would be quite good with people saying its like pes4 but still think its a poorer version of that game, so i won even get started on we9/pes5. Passing/crossing just didnt seem to have any speed to it, shooting has no 'feeling' to it. And the graphics were quite poor aswell. Ive always thought that the fifa series has superior graphics to the pes/we series. However after playing the shirts/faces are far poorer then in pes/we. The stadiums i played in seemed very dark ( during night and day games) so you didnt really see much of it. The movement/animation of the players looked poorer aswell, with the only graphic highlights seeming to be the "touches" like sharp/blur zooming in replays and stuff. The usual fifa fluff in other words. The main plus point was te pitches, they actually look like pitches instead of the crap pes/we serve up these days.

As for playing the com players in my team seemed very rigged to there position ( strikers staying in the same place instead of backtracking when the ball is nearer them then my controlled player. Midfielders staying in place when one should be covering.

I have to admit that i only played 2 games and had a few minutes training, however 3/4 of the way thru the 2nd game i just couldnt be bothered to continue.

gotta disagree with a few points there.

The com on fifa 05, which i played for a about 2 weeks, was awful. The CMs stayed there, wouldnt bomb on, the defenders stayed in defence etc.

on 06, the wingbacks seems to bomb on, the midfielders, depending who it is, will bomb forward too. The players make intelligant runs and, when one player is out of position, another man will come across to cover him.

the faces in 06 have been VASTLY improved, i was pleasently surprised to see FACES, and not melted plastic people, however, the hair still looks a bit shit.

Also, theres a lot more collision detection, like on WE9. players bump into each other, fall over, ball deflects off them etc.

overall its fun to play but no doubt ill get bored.

check out some of these vids

http://www.pideos.co.uk/Webpages/fifa06.htm

Boefje said:
there is no 60Hz-option while booting like PES has, but can you tell me...was it like that last year? ( i skipped that one)

Or should i find it in the menu?

it was inside the settings (within the main menu) if I can remember.

Yeah I have the xbox version, the detail in the replays my god its amazing, especially the balls! The graphics are more akin to Fifa street, so they are good IMO. Better than PES (on the whole) by a country mile. The commentary is also vastly improved.
The mitre they use in the SPL is.. amazing.. I agree that shooting still has no feeling, a weird one that, I think its because theres no kicking noise when you shoot most of the time.

But yeah a leap in the right direction (at last) from EA.

Anyone else getting a bit of slowdown when its crowded? (Xbox)

Oh and WTF with the fake sounding scottish guy at the start, its fucking cringeworthy, patronising canadian cocks :/

yes.

the game is good but it still doesnt have that sense of...its hard to put your finger on it, i think its the shooting, doesnt feel right

kevano22 said:
gotta disagree with a few points there.

The com on fifa 05, which i played for a about 2 weeks, was awful. The CMs stayed there, wouldnt bomb on, the defenders stayed in defence etc.

on 06, the wingbacks seems to bomb on, the midfielders, depending who it is, will bomb forward too. The players make intelligant runs and, when one player is out of position, another man will come across to cover him.

the faces in 06 have been VASTLY improved, i was pleasently surprised to see FACES, and not melted plastic people, however, the hair still looks a bit shit.

Also, theres a lot more collision detection, like on WE9. players bump into each other, fall over, ball deflects off them etc.

overall its fun to play but no doubt ill get bored.

check out some of these vids

http://www.pideos.co.uk/Webpages/fifa06.htm

Cant say i know how fifa05 was, or for that matter any other after rtcw98. Was comparing it to pes4/5

ripkord said:
have they changed the free kicks? i dont have a crosshair anymore :/ that was the thing I liked the best.....

Yep the crosshair and timing bar rubbish has gone.

I have to say its the best fifa since the 99 version. Still got some way to go until it can rival Pro Evo in terms of gameplay and feel, but its getting there. Im actualy enjoying a fifa game :shock:

Siroco said:
Official Xbox magaine's apparantly giving it a 5.9/10.

Heard about this aswel.

I dunno about the Xbox version, but what im playing on the ps2 I would give about an 8/10.

ripkord said:
Anyone else getting a bit of slowdown when its crowded? (Xbox)

Yeah Usually when I hit on the counter . Begins to Get sluggish for a second, Playing off Hdd too :S

Agree with most , Its a large Stepup from 05, But think The controls Need large improvement, I have never Liked the analogue On an Xbox pad And this reminds me of it Every second I played. Tried with Digital and it was Shambolical

Graphics wise i don't really See how many Can prefer this to pes. Kits still look Very Stale and models / Animations Are Just Weak . Hair is a joke tbh

some of the kits font have manufacturers, like barca, for example its just plain no sponsor or nothing, but there ARE nike balls. Odd.

ripkord said:
some of the kits font have manufacturers, like barca, for example its just plain no sponsor or nothing

Barcelona have never had a sponsor on there Kit, so dont be too worried about it not being there. ;)

yeah noticed the celtic Kit doesn't Have a Swoosh on it , But All the time im Using a T90 :S

Ye game is good but gameplay cant reach PES yet but they are coming closer. Shootinh is still to much scripted and goalkeepers react very late to shooting and they do to much show to my opinion.anyway it's a good game till PES will come

Back
Top Bottom