Five scores 'Football Italia'

tobi

"Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose."
5 August 2005
Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
Five has obtained the rights to show footage from Italy's Serie A division, with Tinopolis' Sunset and Vine producing the coverage.

It is expected the broadcaster will begin airing the coverage from the 2007-8 season. Bravo shared the rights with Setanta Sports for the 2006-7 season, but ceased its coverage of the league at the end of last year due to inconsistent ratings.

Channel 4 previously aired Italian football coverage until 2002, when it was shown by British Eurosport before Bravo and Setanta took over in 2005.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/programming/a60812/five-scores-football-italia.html

i'm very happy with this news :applause:

i hope not, now i'm hoping someone snaps up the bundesliga but if your not gonna broadcast the games in 16:9 then you can piss off!

Absolutely brilliant, I used to watch this years ago when it was on Channel 4. Can't wait for this to start - Match Of The Day followed by Football Italia, oh yes.

Good work Five. Best terrestrial channel for sport in my opinion. This just increases their awesome lineup.

Will James Richardson still be the host ?

Most underrated presenter on TV. Fact.

5 would be awesome for sport only if they didn't show matches at such unreasonable times like 4am for argentine and dutch highlights just not the same when taped either. Football Italia highlights would make an ideal late night saturday viewing after motd I agree, would be sooo much better if their was some actual Bundesliga coverage on either terrestrial or digital tv, I am sure Sky Sports used to hold the rights to that aswell as La Liga but some reason they reliquished it I think :(

Also James Richardson is god, if he doesn't come as part of the package it's hardly worths five's time if they think John Barnes can blag knowledge about Italian football.

I really hope they show it properly and not like their forgotten coverage of Ligue 1.

We need at least 1 full match a week, and return of Gazzetta and James Richardson

Ciao. this is indeed great news - highlights (and possibly live games too).

be great to team up Brackley & Ray "Good afternoon Peter, Good afternoon everybody" Wilkins in the commentary box with the legendary JR....

- "Roma and Lazio, like Penelope Pitstop, are tied on points.
- "...as unsung as Posh Spice's back-catalogue."
- "What do Clarence Seedorf and Pete Doherty have in common? They both get caught in possession an awful lot."
- "The Juventus coach arrived at Fiorentina's stadium under a hail of missiles from home fans. Mind you, they are not the only team to arrive at away matches with a smashed coach. Nottingham Forest fans are more than used to it!" c. 1991

:)

A question for everyone, can u recall the first live game shown on C4 ?

db

Good News

James 'Crikey' Richardson has to be onboard for this!

talking on the last day of the Premiership season: "Not since Guti found out his girlfriend was a transexual, have footballers battled so hard to avoid going down"

and to be fair it couldn't of happened to a nicer bloke... :)

hoithewind_homepic_guti.jpg

In the words of Alan Partridge, "Jurassic Park".

Best bit of news all week, I missed most of last season due to cancelling Shitanta.

GoooooooooooooooooooooolLazo!!!!!!!!

Well chuffed.

Should be good what with Juve coming back up. Interesting to see if they can attract big name players back and put up a challenge in the first season back.

Theres just something about Italian football. Sure they dive alot, tackles are rare, and its a lot more patient than English or even German football, but the passion of the fans (sometimes too much) the politics, the stadiums, the commentators and the players.

5 would be awesome for sport only if they didn't show matches at such unreasonable times like 4am for argentine and dutch highlights just not the same when taped either. Football Italia highlights would make an ideal late night saturday viewing after motd I agree, would be sooo much better if their was some actual Bundesliga coverage on either terrestrial or digital tv, I am sure Sky Sports used to hold the rights to that aswell as La Liga but some reason they reliquished it I think :(

Also James Richardson is god, if he doesn't come as part of the package it's hardly worths five's time if they think John Barnes can blag knowledge about Italian football.

Setanta show German. also please tell me Setanta will still be showing Serie A next season.

Good News

James 'Crikey' Richardson has to be onboard for this!

talking on the last day of the Premiership season: "Not since Guti found out his girlfriend was a transexual, have footballers battled so hard to avoid going down"

Richardson was on talksport and said it would be unlikely he'd be on it.

Five fields Italian soccer

UK terrestrial network Five has acquired a package of live and highlight broadcast rights to Italian football league Serie A.

Mike Ingram, director of Inform Group, which brokered the deal on behalf of rights owner Media Partners and Silva, said the agreement "reverses the trend of terrestrial broadcasters losing out to pay-TV."

"Serie A is now the only major European league to have live terrestrial coverage in a major western European market," added Ingram.

The agreement, for broadcast, online and mobile rights, includes a live match at 14.00 on Sundays, an additional match broadcast during Five's late-night sports block on Mondays and a highlights programme on Saturdays at 11.30.

I don't like the sound of that at all. :nono:

Good, I'm italian and I'm going to stay in London for a year, so I can keep up and enjoy a different perspective (I love reading what you brits post around here about SerieA) on our football :)

Good, I'm italian and I'm going to stay in London for a year, so I can keep up and enjoy a different perspective (I love reading what you brits post around here about SerieA) on our football :)

wait a minute... u're saying that u're italian..... and u like to read british newspapers????? :shock::shock::shock:

honestly mate, the only good aspect of reading about the "british perspectives" about italian (but i'd say also french, german spanish, etc..) football is that it makes u appreciate the italian press even more :mrgreen:

edit: sorry mate, i just realized that i probably misunderstood u..... i didn't understand that u were talking about what british guys write about serie a on this forum :mrgreen:;)

Last edited:
If Five have the sunday afternoon slot I guess Setanta will still be showing Serie A on Saturdays and Sunday nights.

wait a minute... u're saying that u're italian..... and u like to read british newspapers????? :shock::shock::shock:

honestly mate, the only good aspect of reading about the "british perspectives" about italian (but i'd say also french, german spanish, etc..) football is that it makes u appreciate the italian press even more :mrgreen:

edit: sorry mate, i just realized that i probably misunderstood u..... i didn't understand that u were talking about what british guys write about serie a on this forum :mrgreen:;)

Lol yeah, I meant "posts" around here, on this forum.
I'm prepared to deal with the infamous tabloids, though!

Off topic: I'll have to choose a football team to support in London! I can't decide between Arsenal and Tottenham :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom