Football & Coronavirus

Thanks Chris, i've just read it in our press...Bolingoli is a Belgian player (Lukaku's cousin). What an idiot. Some football players are really not the sharpest tools... Should be fired by Celtic. In any other sector you are fired for a mistake like this (and mistake does not do it justice). Not good for the image of Scottish football...

I could see him being sacked. But only because he's a fringe player and he's shite. But then there's Leigh Griffiths. There could be a case of double standards, although I'd suggest Bolingoli's faux pas was much, much worse.

It's different in the case of Aberdeen as two of the eight are worth millions; millions that Aberdeen really, really need.

What was the time frame on Bolingoli's return from Spain? How long ago was this, because surely he's been training with the team, so how would Celtic not have been aware that he was breaking quarantine rules? Was this before they started pre season training?

Hans Meyer, a former (east-)german coach once said, every football team has 5 really dumb players and at least one of them would have ended under a bridge if he wouldn't play football. I guess he was right...

Btw. the german football league planned to start the new season in September with a reduced capacity of fans again, with no away fans, no alcohol and no standing rooms (is this term correct?) but the government declined the plans.

Last edited:
What was the time frame on Bolingoli's return from Spain? How long ago was this, because surely he's been training with the team, so how would Celtic not have been aware that he was breaking quarantine rules? Was this before they started pre season training?

They played Hamilton on the 2nd then had two days off. He returned to training as normal on Wednesday morning having not said a word. Only came to light in the last day or so, after he came off the bench against Kilmarnock on Sunday.

Aberdeen and Celtic games tomorrow night postponed, as is Saturday's game when they were due to play each other. Furious!

Added: Neil Lennon's take.

Romelu Lukaku is a very intelligent guy, his cousin clearly isn't and so isn't his brother Jordan, who plays for Lazio. When Lazio played Zulte Waregem in last year's Euro League, he had an interview with the Belgian press and he said that Belgian football and it's clubs mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. That might be true, but it is very stupid to say that. There were plenty of letters from readers and reactions on social media suggesting that Jordan should never again play for our national team (he is a disaster) and then he suddenly apologized...

Our competition has started since last weekend. Finally court decided about the format. Waasland-Beveren went to BAS (Belgian TAS) arguing that it isn't fair that the last day of the first division wasn't played while they still had a (very tiny) chance to avoid relegation and that the Pro League insists that the second division play-off to decide what team should replace them should be played. BAS decided that this is indeed unfair and that all 3 teams should play in the first division next (meanwhile this) season. But the Pro Leuague still refused. Then Waasland Beveren went to a civil court and the court decided that the Pro League should pay a fine of 25.000 euro for every match played without Waasland Beveren....and if money speaks....so now we have 18 teams for two or 3 seasons (not sure) and then 3 will relegate (meanwhile 1, i think). The second division consists of 7 pro teams and the U23 of Club Brugge (very weird), why Brugge? Because their owner is the most powerful person in Belgian football).

The big clubs are furious at Waasland Beveren.

After the first round of matches almost all the big team lost their match (except my beloved Genk) and we have a surprising leader: Waasland Beveren... (of course after only 1 match, but nevertheless, poëtic justice, i suppose).

Play-offs will be played with 4 clubs instead of 6. That is one of reasons why the bigger clubs are furious. Belgian footbal lclubs have lost a lot of sympathy from the sensible football fans. We are badly struggling with the second wave of a pandemic and all they care about is self interest and money. Pathetic bunch.

Back
Top Bottom