Football League considers scrapping draws

J

:: JJ ::

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6452013.stm

The Football League board is to consider a proposal to scrap draws and decide matches by penalty shoot-outs, BBC Five Live understands.

The idea will be discussed by Football League chairmen and chief executives at a board meeting on Thursday.

No timescale has been given for implementing the change if the chairmen go ahead with the proposal.

"Why can't we just have a draw?" Bournemouth boss Kevin Bond told the Daily Echo newspaper.

The idea was originally put forward in the recent Football League Fans Survey.

There are currently two proposals to be considered - a traditional penalty shoot-out or where a player would have eight seconds to try and score after receiving the ball on the half-way line.

"I don't agree with it because I think it's too much of a radical change," Bond added.

"I'm very open-minded and I think certain laws of the game need to move with the times but that would be too much of a drastic measure."

What the hell are they smoking? :shock:

I remember a few other leagues had a shootout in the event of a draw but now you just don't get them, and the idea of running from the halfway line to score is nothing new - the NASL had it as a tie-breaker in the 70's, which was much ridiculed elsewhere.

Keep draws as they are

yea... and my suggestion, in terms of cups that flow through to extra time etc. is that instead of penalties it should go through to golden goal straight after 90minutes, swapping every 15 minutes until a goal is scored

Yeah but the problem with that idea is matches could go on til 3 in the morning because nobody's scored :lol:

it's possible... as is coming back from 3-0 down in the last 20 seconds... but you rarely see it... fatigue would play a massive part in matches after 90 minutes and they wouldn't last too long, besides, a penalty shoot-out could last just as long if you think about it

pathetic idea tbh , its giving smaller clubs less chance of staying in leagues , they hold on for 90 mins against a big team and they loose on a shootout , The f.a need to get a life and stop messing around with our leagues , they already ballsed it up with the transfer window .

forces the poorer teams to defend en masse and try to nick a win or hold onto a lead they may have through luck. It would kill the game in a lot of cases.

If they want attacking football, they should reward goals. How about a bonus point for every 3 goals scored in a game? That way a game that ended 4-3 would a least give the losers that tried a point instead of a team trying to hold on and not coming out of their own half. A 3-3 draw would be 2 points each, etc

Won't happen though.

Last edited:
they could do it like the NHL. a point is gaurenteed for both teams if it goes to shootout but the winner of the shootout gets the extra points. just my opinion tho.

Football puritans would see this idea as yet another attempt to "Americanise" the game. I choose that term simply because of American sports and the fact that MLS used to use penalty shoot outs to decide matches that ended in a draw. The "bonus point" idea for tems scoring more goals was, if I recall, trialled one season in France, without success, so it never caught on anywhere.

I agree with the thing...
JJ, MLS did not use penlaty shoot outs, but shoot outs...i.e. a players starts from the middle line with the ball and confronts the GK...

Ah like NASL did? Think I got my wires crossed with some other league.

Whatever way the suggestion has been laughed off by chairmen and managers of FL clubs. Just as well really. :mrgreen:

Knobheads, why dont they spend time coming up with ways to fine/ban divers?! Surely they are bringing the game into disrepute and are a big reason why the game's popularity is decreasing. Instead they waste their time with this shit and fining managers for stating the bleeding obvious. I also dont agree with the goals = great game, fifa was never considered the best game when the results were 6-6 most of the time. A great game doesnt even need goals, aslong as the quality of play is good and the game is handled fairly. The quality part is a variable as there are different players/managers/finances/etc however the handling of the game fairly shouldnt be too hard.

For a start ref's should award freekicks when a player tries to stay on his feet to keep possesion after a tackle. Most of the time ref's wave play on when a player tries this, and as is most likely lose the ball. Meaning there is no incentive for the player to stay on his feet to gain advantage, so they let themselves go down easily. And when the fa dont retroactively punish blatant divers (robben against tot the other day, although tbh every game i see him playing he falls over atleast once without any contact asking for a freekick) they have nothing too lose, at most a yellow card, and even when the ref has decided its a dive most of the time they dont even get booked.

I'm sure this was implemented in Paraguay (correct me if I am wrong) but I think they play a pen shoot-out until their was a winner and the winner of the penalty shoot-out got 2 points and the loser got 1.

I think it is a good idea for amateur leagues but I am too much of a football puritan to advocate this idea for the professional game, pen shoot-outs are based too much on one skill to make it fair as anyone on their day can win a pen shoot-out maybe if the way of deciding the game was a bit more skilful then maybe but other wise it's a no for me.

I'm sure this was implemented in Paraguay (correct me if I am wrong) but I think they play a pen shoot-out until their was a winner and the winner of the penalty shoot-out got 2 points and the loser got 1.
It was in some brazilian state championships too, but it added nothing to the game.

Back
Top Bottom