Football Manager 2009

kamy100

Premiership
9 June 2003
Blackburn, UK
They've announced that the first look at the features and an announcement about the game will be on September 3rd. Up until now nothing is really known about the game so it should be pretty interesting.

There is currently what they have referred to as a teaser image up on the website which features Che Guevara, sparking rumours that this game might not be so similiar to the last ones but be more of a revolution.

Official Announcement:
http://www.sigames.com/news.php?type=view&article_id=1301

Explanation from Miles Jacobson of what is going to happen:
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=1548669#post1548669

Teaser Image:
http://www.footballmanager.net/en/index.html

I speculating that FM2009 will see the introduction of a 3D match engine.

Definately can't see a 3D engine.

I just can't see any major improvements at all to be honest.

Definately can't see a 3D engine.

I just can't see any major improvements at all to be honest.

3D engine was shown off for one of the games (was it the CM brand?) and looked pretty decent.

Natural evolution and they have got to do something else with it - its been the same version now for about 10 years!

Maybe keep 2D, but introduce a more realistic graphical engine - so animated players, different stadiums etc. That would be pretty awesome... Maybe even 3D replays of the goals (like the feature on BBC sometimes).

I think FM are using a 3D engine as well, if you have a look through the FM thread here I posted a link to a jobs site where Sports Interactive were advertising a 3D modelling job.

Man, it took ages to SI say something about FM2009!
Because of all that mistery I think there will be a new match engine. It may not be fully 3D like FIFA Manager, but I'd be happy with some snes-like graphics, or anything that looks more like players than those little balls...

Lets hope its not buggy like CM's first 3d game. That game was complete and utter failure. Bugs galore. I remember my first league game with Milan - 97 throw ins vs 58 by Torino. Another was the scores in that game..... 9-1, 8-4, 7-5.

I won't buy this unless there are some big improvements made - I am sick to death of that shitty 2D match engine where stupid tactics are the most effective and basically getting the exact same game since CM4...

I hope they've improved the realism of the managers, in 08 managers praise rival teams players after matches all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorugua View Post
Miles, please answer me a simply question, the fm 09, are made with 3d yes or no, only yes or no please.
I cannot answer that in one word. What I will say is that all of our games are made with 3d, seeing as we live in a 3 dimensional world.

Confirmation of a 3D match engine?

Don't think so, he says "our games" rather than "this game", and the previous games weren't. I think he means something ridiculous like "you have to TRAIN the players, MOTIVATE the players and NURTURE the players so it's 3D in that sense".

EDIT: Like I said before I'll be gutted if there's no 3D match engine, you just don't know what's happening apart from when the text at the bottom hints it to you; but it only covers what's happening on the ball, if a bad tackle goes in that the referee doesn't blow for you have no idea if it's a bad tackle or not. It's 2008, we need it now.

Even if it's just like CM's isometric camera, it will be better, because we could see the angle of the shots rather than having to imagine if the football dot is "small enough" (i.e. further away from the "camera") to be going under the bar.

If it's not 3D I'll be saving up for CM next year, which will have a 3D match engine (which you can see in a leaked YouTube video, over in the "LMA Manager is dead" thread).

Last edited:
Some interesting quotes from the FM2009 forums...

Miles of SI said:
To those camped on the boards and youtube, just to be very clear, the video will not be available until some time after 6pm UK time (that's British Summer Time) this evening. We don't have a set time, as YouTube can't do "timed" announcements, so the vid upload will start at 6pm, which is the time that the press conference is due to start.

So the video will be available around 6:30pm I reckon.

Miles of SI said:
However, we're trying something different with FM09, so it is not yet gold.

Still - not long til it's all revealed. As long as the video gets finished, that is...

What could they be trying that means the game isn't yet gold? FIFA 09-style direct database updates? So that when you start a new game you can get the latest database from SI, for that day?

SI email said:
emailet4.jpg

Notice the Nike boot in the background? They can't do that without a license, they've never done it before. They've never shown a logo of anything.

Certainly interesting, they have never came out and said that they were trying something different before.

Also, there wouldn't be much point having the Nike license if there was no 3D match engine.

I'm looking forward to the announcement later :)).

If there is no 3D match engine you'd think they would play it down wouldn't you? You'd think they would deny it if it wasn't there, otherwise there's going to be a lot of disappointed people expecting it.

Although saying that, the majority of the SI forum is so far up SI's arse they claim it really doesn't matter...

Yep, that's true, in fact on another forum I post on, everyone apart from me thinks it would be bad for the game if it went 3D - a lot of people just accept anything that is thrown at them nowadays, you get game series making little to no progress yet people still buy them year in year out, for example PES and FM.

There's no real incentive for companies to improve their games when you have huge groups of people who will buy them and hail them as a great game even if they're 99% the same as a game which is 5-10 years old.

I'm confident that we won't be dissapointed with this announcement today though.

I'm still betting against it, I've just got a feeling.

The way Miles from SI said to someone's 3D question "all of our games are made with 3d, seeing as we live in a 3 dimensional world", it sounds to me like he's doing businessman-arsehole talk (otherwise known as talking through your arse).

I can see him saying afterwards; "all our games are 3D - you have to keep the chairman happy, the fans happy and the players happy. That's all the 3D our series needs."

God I hate crap like that.

I've just thought, with LMA Manager dead, the LMA (League Managers Association) license is up for grabs. I'm not sure what difference it would make - FM already has all the correct manager names - but I wonder...

I'm holding you to that. I want your pasta for my dinner every night.

I was referring to the actual association's license though, not the code of the game. ;)

The fact that theyre releasing 2 10 minute videos makes me believe that its got to do with the match engine. What are they going to show? 2d circles moving about? I think not.

Yep 3d engine flashes there.

Interesting video look forward to second part because that has to be best bit with all features. :))

I am over the moon, that's exactly what I wanted to see.

Hopefully there's a more in-depth look at it soon, they said there was supposed to be a feature list in the vid. But this is "part one", I hope part two isn't two weeks away or something stupid.

Made up, so happy about that.

I am over the moon, that's exactly what I wanted to see.

Hopefully there's a more in-depth look at it soon, they said there was supposed to be a feature list in the vid. But this is "part one", I hope part two isn't two weeks away or something stupid.

Made up, so happy about that.

Man, this is gonna suck me back into the murky world of FM I can feel it!!

Looks a good engine from the very quick glimpses - side on and behind the goal views.

Hope it plays fairly realistically and isnt the same animations over and over etc.

Back
Top Bottom