Football Manager 2021

EDIT: I don't think the Game Pass version can be modded after all after reading this related article to the end, which really sucks: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cannot-acces-windowsapps-to-delete-edit-save-files.3513262/

ORIGINAL (TRY AT YOUR PERIL AS CHANGING PERMISSIONS MAY RESULT IN ISSUES WITH OTHER APPS):

For those interested in installing the licensing fixes in the Game Pass edition... You have to do a bit of hacking around.

Once you've installed the game (you may need to run it first if the FM folder doesn't appear in the next steps), you need to access the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder. (You need to change your Windows folder view settings to allow the viewing of hidden folders and files if you haven't done that already.)

No amount of fiddling with user permissions would let me in, even as an administrator. But then I found this guide: https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

The only thing that worked for me was to download the registry hack that adds an extra to your Windows context menus (there is a file that adds it, and one that removes it again should you wish) - direct link to that here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8yk084d4bf1ixy/TakeOwnership.zip?dl=0

After installing the registry hack, I right-clicked on the WindowsApps folder, clicked "Take Ownership", and after a few minutes (it takes a while) it was done.

Then I went into the WindowsApp folder, then the folder in there that starts "SportsInteractive", then "data", and at that point it looks like your standard Steam install folder (go into "database" then "db" to find the folders where you need to install the license fix to).

But. The above lets you see the folders, but doesn't let you delete the folders within each db directory that need to be deleted, nor create new files. You still get an access denied error.

Last edited:
Hello people,
tell me how do you do it while watching 3d match? do you start youtube in the background and play stadium atmosphere sounds? or how do you get good stadium atmosphere so that it's really fun to watch your team and feel like you're really in the stadium. I can't understand how you guys do it. The stadiums look terribly unrealistic. Stadium atmosphere is zero without real fan chants. Thank you for your experience and how you create it.

Hello people,
tell me how do you do it while watching 3d match? do you start youtube in the background and play stadium atmosphere sounds? or how do you get good stadium atmosphere so that it's really fun to watch your team and feel like you're really in the stadium. I can't understand how you guys do it. The stadiums look terribly unrealistic. Stadium atmosphere is zero without real fan chants. Thank you for your experience and how you create it.

It is a football management game, not FIFA.
The enjoyment is from managing all aspects of a football team, from scouts to training.
Then coming up with a tactic for your team to conquer the world.

If your only interested in the matchday experience then FM really isn't for you.
All FM has is generic noises when chances are missed and goals scored, but then I don't know any football games that have an incredible match day experience.
FIFA is pretty good if your a Prem Team, but even then the chants are poor and don't react to what is going on in the game.

@bsmaff : thanks for your answer. oh - i love the time for managing and all that....
:)

what i mean is, when the hours of work done, and then go to the Pitch - then i can not understand, why Si did not make that better - or - open more Options, for the Community

and no, i do not like FIFA - i hate Fifa
:) really - that is no Gameplay
i mean the pes game with the amazing mods, like sider from @juce
Chants from @predator002
stadium-server,
Gameplay Patch from @Holland
and @incas36
so on. - that is i mean with what i miss in FM (21)

you know..

@bsmaff : thanks for your answer. oh - i love the time for managing and all that....

what i mean is, when the hours of work done, and then go to the Pitch - then i can not understand, why Si did not make that better - or - open more Options, for the Community

and no, i do not like FIFA - i hate Fifa
:) really - that is no Gameplay
i mean the pes game with the amazing mods, like sider from @juce
Chants from @predator002
stadium-server,
Gameplay Patch from @Holland
and @incas36
so on. - that is i mean with what i miss in FM (21)

you know..

I don't know about PES mods, try it year after year but the gameplay is just terrible.
It is probably because I have played FM since the Championship Manager days and the matchday experience is something that I got used to.
As the game is not fully about the matchday experience, it is about being in complete control of a football club.

the "new" gameplay possibilities in combination .exe File from @incas36 and the dt18 File from @Holland makes the Gameplay Feeling like feel free.
This works since some days and makes the Game 1000 % better.
and when you use @predator002 sound mods....then I guarantee you'll get goosebumps when the game starts. No, even before, when the players go on the field and you hear the realistic stadium entrance music.
that is my i miss in FM - for a really all-round successful game

Quick question. Is there a way to get the "touch" version inside fm2021. It seems if you get fm21 it includes touch. I opened it but didnt see that option for a more streamlined gameplay. Unless its a completely separate download which isnt included on gamepass.
Or is the xbox version the touch version?
Tbh I need the simpler version... I have been delegating a bunch of stuff to other coaches.. But still im kinda lost

Quick question. Is there a way to get the "touch" version inside fm2021. It seems if you get fm21 it includes touch. I opened it but didnt see that option for a more streamlined gameplay. Unless its a completely separate download which isnt included on gamepass.
Or is the xbox version the touch version?
Tbh I need the simpler version... I have been delegating a bunch of stuff to other coaches.. But still im kinda lost
Correct if I'm wrong but is the touch not the simple version?

To answer both questions.
The touch version is the cut back version, mainly designed for the mobile market and people who want to get through seasons in an hour or two.
Can’t comment on it as never tried it, as reckon since I am used to the full blown version will probably find it cuts too much and not as enjoyable.

The touch version is also another purchase to FM.
So if you pre-order FM then you get the Touch version for free - ONLY WHEN YOU PREORDER.
Otherwise it is a separate pay for product.
I don’t think it costs too much about £7-10 I think.

Thanks seems the gamepass version only has the full version and the xbox version which is based on touch but with controller support. Will try that one out. I get the good things of the full version but having to decide how to put my hands when I talk to my team is a bit too much.
I had tried the touch version last year and its still engaging and will take time to get through a season (At least for me not an hour or two ). Just cuts some of the fat for a more casual experience ...

Thanks seems the gamepass version only has the full version and the xbox version which is based on touch but with controller support. Will try that one out. I get the good things of the full version but having to decide how to put my hands when I talk to my team is a bit too much.
I had tried the touch version last year and its still engaging and will take time to get through a season (At least for me not an hour or two ). Just cuts some of the fat for a more casual experience ...

Yeah the hand touching thing is a bit over the top this year.
Last year was better with Aggressive, Cautious, Passionate and so on.

This year it is a case of just Point the Finger at half time or the one next to throw the water bottle if drawing or losing.
Never ever use throw the water bottle, as that just gets everyone angry and unmotivated.
After playing FM21 alot this year, there are so many things better than FM20 and some things which are worse.
The scouting system and the briefings before transfer windows is a massive improvement, you can also look at potential signings and see where they would fit in to your system and if they are better than the player you currently have there.
The tablet also during matchday - I hated it to start with, but it has so much information on the screen during the game it is actually an improvement.

SI listen to the community, so no doubt they will make significant UI changes next year.
But also with Covid again this year, I don't think there will be massive whole sale changes to the game and will probably be FM23 when new ideas are implemented and FM24 before they are working correctly.

I also wasn't aware that it was FM Touch on the Xbox, would of thought it would of been the full version.

Last edited:
Yeah the hand touching thing is a bit over the top this year.
Last year was better with Aggressive, Cautious, Passionate and so on.

I also wasn't aware that it was FM Touch on the Xbox, would of thought it would of been the full version.

They currently have: FM Touch, FM Mobile, FM 21, FM Xbox (which is also on PC and its based on Touch; however the PC version also has the Touch version...).
I want to see if Xbox version works with a Mouse. I havent tried it yet. I enjoy these games but I'm not very knowledgeable in all the tactics and players so I need something simpler. I installed the full version and had one game and tried to set up tactics and training but ended up just delegating (but hey, even though my Milan team didnt play good, we beat Juve aka Zebra 1-0).
I guess little by little.... I never know, is it easier to play with a big team so you win games, or better to go with a lowly polish team with no aspirations so you cant get canned....

I normally always start a game with Man Utd for a season or two so I learn the game.
Their team is very good, so you can play with tactics and you can’t get a good grasp or scouting and how the elements come together.

Personally I never do the training and also delegate it, as well as the press conferences they are really boring as the questions are always the same.

@Chris Davies hates me for doing this but before I start, I also run a few holiday games with different formations to see where the team finishes.
That way I get a basic understanding of which formations and style works and then when you take control you can tweak it better.

I have played every single CM and FM since the 90s. Back then and until around 04 I was doing more like a fantasy role play. As the game became more complex with some questionable features I found myself sticking only with the tactics and playing the game "compared" to real life team tactics. For example managing Leicester and implementing Rodgers tactics in every match as he did in the actual ones in PL. Ofc there are various factors that aren't the same and can't be the same as in reality but it's fun, challenging and with the needed feel of frustration. My house rule though stayed the same for 3 decades: Never manage a top, rich team and never chase big transfers or try super tactics to "cheat" my way to the top. Always also use the huge db option with the majority of leagues on real time option or whatever is called now. Otherwise sooner or later the game becomes easy especially when playing CL or Europa League.

This is one game where... I dont know what Im doing... no clue in tactics... I dont read all the inbox items.... etc (its december and I got AC Milan in 3rd)... but it seems yesterday I played this for 4+hrs....
Quick question.. you guys stick to one formation and just change tactics within formation depending on opposition?
(I do get the PES stat of: me 25 shots on goal vs AI 3 shots on goal; scoreline 1-1)
Im playing the xbox version with the controller and am enjoying it.... fist pumps in the air when I scored in 91min vs Leicester.. sadness when they tied in 93rd min

Quick question.. you guys stick to one formation and just change tactics within formation depending on opposition?
I'd recommend working with 2 or 3 formations. Train all of them and there shouldn't be much problem with your team not being familiar with them.
I recommend always working to boost your team's strengths as opposed to desperately trying to fix its weaknesses. Yes, you can do both, just don't spend too much time on the latter.

This is one game where... I dont know what Im doing... no clue in tactics... I dont read all the inbox items.... etc (its december and I got AC Milan in 3rd)... but it seems yesterday I played this for 4+hrs....
(I do get the PES stat of: me 25 shots on goal vs AI 3 shots on goal; scoreline 1-1)
Im playing the xbox version with the controller and am enjoying it.... fist pumps in the air when I scored in 91min vs Leicester.. sadness when they tied in 93rd min

I have two formations in the game, both are 4-3-3.
One is a more direct formation and the other is high gen pressing and TIKA-TAKA.
I play the TIKA-TAKA one for most games, but if I really need a goal then I switch to the more direct formation.

I would also try to work on a formation that suits the attacking stance to start with as find if you play anything under you struggle.

I have two formations in the game, both are 4-3-3.
One is a more direct formation and the other is high gen pressing and TIKA-TAKA.
I play the TIKA-TAKA one for most games, but if I really need a goal then I switch to the more direct formation.

I would also try to work on a formation that suits the attacking stance to start with as find if you play anything under you struggle.

Thanks I have to see what works. I have a few that have been pretty good but I struggle against lowly teams. Either they mount a comeback or I can't score. Gonna focus on one possession and one attack.
When you are winning do you change mentality to balanced or defensive?

Thanks I have to see what works. I have a few that have been pretty good but I struggle against lowly teams. Either they mount a comeback or I can't score. Gonna focus on one possession and one attack.
When you are winning do you change mentality to balanced or defensive?

I rarely change to balanced or defensive.
I use Attack, and Ultra Defensive - They are the only two I ever use.

The only time balanced seems to make a difference is if you are playing in a one off cup game.

Small Update:-

Licensing Fix v4.0 - Most important fix for FM - Recommend you install this right away.

Kits updated to 18/03/21 - I have removed the .FMF files from the folders this time and created a separate .RAR file called EditorData.rar
You will need to put these files in the Editor Data folder in My Documents/Sports Interactive, as some kits don't run properly without the FMF being in the correct location.
However there is hardly any new kits available, I wouldn't bother with the download.

OT but I have yet to find a managing sim as good as The Manager from 1991... Maybe because I haven't played any since then.

I remember that game and used to play it on Amiga.
If I remember correctly, didn't it use to be impossible?

Without doubt the best run, I have ever achieved on Football Manager:-

2021-04-09.png

May 2021 Update

Faces - Updated to 13.08
Logos - Updated to v5
Data Update to 04/05/21

I have not updated the kits, and TBH probably won't again now this season.
The only kits becoming available now are the Vietnam/Nepal and other shite leagues.
All major leagues are included in the latest pack, so will start updating the kits once the 21/22 kits start becoming available.

June 2021 Update

Kits - Updated, as there is a few new kits and the Euro kits in 2D and 3D are available.
Faces - Updated to 13.10
Logos - Added Steel logos to the downloads - As they look pretty good.

steel_logos.png

Data Update - 07/06/2021

Last edited:
JUNE UPDATE V2

Have updated additional graphics, so there is now updated balls.
Every game will now have the official ball for that competition.

But the main update, I have added the Retro 1991 database.
If you ever have the time, this database sounds incredible as it will regenerate players in the top 5 leagues from 1990 to the present day.
So Ronaldo, Messi, Beckham will all become regens in the game - However they will respawn at random clubs.
I am thinking of giving it a go, just might take a while to see where players spawn and where they end up.

I've always wanted to give FM a go online - and @jaygrim is a massive letdown.

Is there somewhere you can go to try and find someone to play with, or a league to join maybe? Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom